Templot Club Archive 2007-2020                             

topic: 3140Templot update version 216b now available.
author remove search highlighting

posted: 28 Nov 2017 01:21

Martin Wynne

West Of The Severn - United Kingdom

click the date to link to this post
click member name to view archived images
view images in gallery view images as slides
Dear all,

The latest Templot update is now available. Version 216b.

Your copy of Templot should update automatically if you restart it and follow the instructions.

If you have any problems with that, follow the download links on the web site.

This is a minor maintenance update. The main changes from 216a are:

1. New help > video player > menu items. These are for users having trouble accessing the videos from the web site. For normal use, please click the help > watch a video >>> menu item to see the full list of videos on the web site.

2. rotate group 180 degrees -- the SHIFT+F6 shortcut has been restored.

3. make branch track -- the shortcut is now SHIFT+F7.

4. cycle notch -- the shortcut is now CTRL+C.

5. metric calculator -- there is no longer a keyboard shortcut.

N.B. If you see error messages while downloading or installing the update, perhaps like this, please turn off your anti-virus program while you install Templot:

w10_av.pngw10_av.png

regards,

Martin.

posted: 28 Nov 2017 05:13

DaveJ61

Northampton - United Kingdom

Hi Martin,

Thanks for the update. As always, installed flawlessly without any problems. (Windows 10 x64, Defender).

David

posted: 28 Nov 2017 08:54

stuart1600

United Kingdom

Thanks for the latest update; no problems downloading this time. (Windows 7, AVG anti-virus)
AVG has obviously decided after the last time that Templot is OK :)
Stuart

posted: 28 Nov 2017 12:27

Martin Wynne

Thanks for the feedback.

What I'm really waiting for is for someone to confirm that the video links are working nicely.

For example, if you go to this page (you can click help > watch a video >>>):

http://templot.com/companion/video_list.php

and

1. click one of the video links, you should see something like this. (This is in Firefox, in other browsers it will be different -- in Edge it appears at the bottom of the screen):

2_280842_460000000.png2_280842_460000000.png

2. wherever it is, you should be able to select Open, or else see a .sk5 file name which can be double-clicked.

3. and when you do that and click OK or whatever (as you can see, Firefox is by far the most informative and user-friendly),

4. you should then see a downloading progress bar like this:

2_280700_080000001.png2_280700_080000001.png

5. after which the Templot video player should open in a new window separate from the browser:

2_280700_080000002.png2_280700_080000002.png

6. if you click the same link again at any time later, the player should appear immediately without needing to download the video again.

7. you can drag the video around, minimize it, whatever, swap to Templot and still see it, have several videos running at the same time, etc. Which makes this format much more flexible than watching on a web page.

But only if it works. Which it does here, just fine. But after recent reports of problems with the Templot updates and video links, I'm not sure.

Once I'm sure this format is working, at least for the majority of users, I can get on and create more videos and be updating all the old web site pages.

regards,

Martin.

posted: 28 Nov 2017 13:47

John Palmer

Just installed version 2.16.b, running on Win 7 Pro, with Firefox as default web browser.  Installation encountered no problems, but I wasn't expecting any since I am not actively using anti-virus software likely to inhibit the installation.

I tried out each of the actions enumerated at points 6 and 7 and they worked flawlessly, so I for one am a happy bunny.

One trifling point - and it may be under Blueberry's control rather than yours, Martin - is that the download progress bar could be improved by greater contrast of the colours.  Mine showed dark blue 'progress' against a black background, and I had to squint quite hard at it to be sure something was happening.

posted: 28 Nov 2017 13:59

Bruce A Wilson

Barrie - Ontario Canada

Martin Wynne wrote:
Thanks for the feedback.

What I'm really waiting for is for someone to confirm that the video links are working nicely.

Martin:

Works flawlessy on my machine at work.  Windows 7 Professional 64 bit running with Symantec AV on a network.

I will try it on my old XP3 Professional SP3 box at home tonight.

posted: 28 Nov 2017 14:12

Martin Wynne

John Palmer wrote:
I tried out each of the actions enumerated at points 6 and 7 and they worked flawlessly, so I for one am a happy bunny.
Many thanks John. That's what I have been waiting a week to hear.  :)

One trifling point - and it may be under Blueberry's control rather than yours, Martin - is that the download progress bar could be improved by greater contrast of the colours. Mine showed dark blue 'progress' against a black background, and I had to squint quite hard at it to be sure something was happening.
Sorry about that -- it's in Templot, not Blueberry or Firefox.

It's a bright blue on my screen (Windows10), and I didn't notice any problem when testing it on Windows7. But I will have another look and see what I can do.

I was thinking anyway that it is too small and not obvious in the middle of a large screen.

p.s. You can click the X on it without stopping the download. This means that on slow systems you can leave the download running while you get on with something else. The player will still appear when the download finishes. (The videos with a sound track are very much larger files than the silent videos.)

regards,

Martin.

posted: 28 Nov 2017 16:00

madscientist

all works great on the Mac in parallels coherent mode , videos appear ,

regards

dave

posted: 28 Nov 2017 16:39

John Shelley

St Ciers Sur Gironde 33820 - France

Greetings Martin,

I downloaded and installed the latest update earlier today and was hoping to be able to give you information about how it appears on browsers other than Firefox, unfortunately I can't at the moment.   This is because my 3rd party antivirus (Avira Free) (I know what you and others have been preaching, but up to now it hasn't blinked at any Templot item so I've let it run) now detects a malware in templot_video_loader.exe and quarantines it in a place where I can't get at it.  The message  contains "The pattern of 'HEUR/APC (Cloud)[HEUR/APC]' detected in file <file name>...;"  I assume that you haven't changed anything in that exe file.

I do not expect you to do anything to try and resolve this, but am posting the info as a warning to others who may use Avira.  I have used Avira's feedback system to report a false action and complain that although thay state that the file has been quarantined it doesn't appear in the list of quarantined files.

When normal service returns here I'll do an examination using the other browsers that I have.

Cheers for now
John, from 33820

posted: 28 Nov 2017 17:10

Martin Wynne

Thanks John.

HEUR means "heuristic" which is a fancy word for a rough guess:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heuristic

In other words, Avira didn't really find anything in the file, just thought it looked a bit odd. Given that it is only 348KB, you would think any anti-virus program worth having would be able to scan it and say definitely one way or the other.

regards,

Martin.

posted: 28 Nov 2017 17:25

John Shelley

Martin Wynne wrote:
Thanks John.

HEUR means "heuristic" which is a fancy word for a rough guess:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heuristic

In other words, Avira didn't really find anything in the file, just thought it looked a bit odd. Given that it is only 348KB, you would think any anti-virus program worth having would be able to scan it and say definitely one way or the other.

regards,

Martin.
Greetings martin,
Thanks for the explanation of HEUR.

I did try running the file past Avira after the third attempt to install* the upgrade and it passed with flying colours, a point that I should have included in my initial post, apols for the omission, and I did include in my message to Avira.

Cheers for now
John from 33820

* To be able to install after Avira had had a go at the file meant, deleting the new installation completely and rebooting the PC. 8-((

posted: 28 Nov 2017 19:28

Dave Phillips

New Jersey USA

Hi Martin,

Installed version 216b on MacBook Pro running Windows 10 under Boot Camp (dual boot machine) without any issues. Video works great under Firefox and Edge, just as stated in items 6 and 7.

Great work!

Dave (on the other side of the pond)

posted: 28 Nov 2017 23:44

MikeB

United Kingdom

Hi Martin,

I've loaded the new version but when I try the video, it does the first three steps, but after the downloading bit I get the error message shown below. I'm on Win 7 and using Firefox. As others have it working, I assume it is something to do with the settings on my machine?

Mike

2893_281841_050000000.png2893_281841_050000000.png

posted: 29 Nov 2017 00:16

Martin Wynne

MikeB wrote:
I've loaded the new version but when I try the video, it does the first three steps, but after the downloading bit I get the error message shown below. I'm on Win 7 and using Firefox. As others have it working, I assume it is something to do with the settings on my machine?
Hi Mike,

It seems that file may have been corrupted on downloading.

What happens if you click one of the other video links?

regards,

Martin.

posted: 29 Nov 2017 00:19

MikeB

United Kingdom

Same thing happens with any of them. They downlaod onto the machine as SK5 files and the loader.exe file is present.

Mike

posted: 29 Nov 2017 00:21

Martin Wynne

p.s. Mike,

I just noticed that you have installed Templot in the Windows \Program Files\ folder.

I have warned many times not to do that.

Please install Templot somewhere else, if you don't want to use the default location:

C:\TEMPLOT_DEV\

regards,

Martin.

posted: 29 Nov 2017 00:26

MikeB

United Kingdom

How would I move it, is it a case of reloading Templot from scratch?

posted: 29 Nov 2017 00:50

MikeB

United Kingdom

Hi Martin,

Installed it again, in the right location this time, and the video now works. However, how do I get all my created box & shape files into the new location, as I can't see them other than in Templot?

posted: 29 Nov 2017 00:51

Martin Wynne

MikeB wrote:
How would I move it, is it a case of reloading Templot from scratch?
Hi Mike,

Download the program again from:

http://templot.com/downloads/templot_216b_setup.exe

When you run it, read the notes on the installer carefully:

2_281935_260000000.png2_281935_260000000.png

Before you click Next, make sure the destination is showing as, and edit it if necessary:

C:\TEMPLOT_DEV

or anywhere else you want it to be on your system, provided:

1. it does not start C:\Program Files...

and

2. it does not contain a SPACE anywhere within it.

So  F:\MY_MODEL_STUFF\TEMPLOT  is fine.

But
F:\MY MODEL STUFF\TEMPLOT PROGRAM  is not.

Most users leave it on the default 
C:\TEMPLOT_DEV location unless you have a reason not to. If it doesn't show that location initially it will be because the installer program knows you installed it somewhere else the previous time.

If you have .box files in the old location they will still be there. You can either navigate to them when opening them, or copy the contents of the old \BOX-FILES\ folder to the new one.

regards,

Martin.

posted: 29 Nov 2017 00:59

Martin Wynne

MikeB wrote:
Installed it again, in the right location this time, and the video now works. However, how do I get all my created box & shape files into the new location, as I can't see them other than in Templot?
Hi Mike,

How do you mean you can't see them? This is the problem with installing Templot there, files may be hidden.

In Windows Explorer, try navigating to the old folders:

C:\Program Files\TEMPLOT_DEV\BOX-FILES\

select all the contents, then copy and paste them into the new folders:

C:\TEMPLOT_DEV\BOX-FILES\

and likewise for the other folders.

regards,

Martin.

posted: 29 Nov 2017 01:05

MikeB

United Kingdom

Hi Martin,

I had to change a setting somewhere to see the contents of the Box-Files in the old location. Now done that, and files now copied.

Sorry you have to deal with some of us incompetants.

Thanks for all your hard work on Templot. I find it can even get a bit addictive, to keep on tweeking the layout plans!

Mike

posted: 29 Nov 2017 01:18

Martin Wynne

Hi Mike,

Glad you got it sorted out. :)

The problem is that the core Templot program is 20 years old. In those days it was an absolute no-no to have spaces in file and folder names. It still is in the underlying file system on disk, but Windows nowadays fudges it so that users can do it, because no amount of telling them not to will stop them. Then they very stupidly created their own folders such as \Program Files\ with spaces in the names, without considering the impact on older programs.

regards,

Martin.

posted: 29 Nov 2017 01:21

Martin Dobbins

Memphis - Tennessee USA

I just downloaded 216b, I'm running it on Ubuntu 16.04 and I use Google Chrome.Unfortunately none of the videos work, I tried a number of them and all terminated with "The file you opened has some invalid characters. If you continue editing this file you could corrupt this document.You can also choose another character encoding and try again." sk5 is not an option in the list of alternates.

Martin
Martin Wynne wrote:
Thanks for the feedback.

and

1. click one of the video links, you should see something like this. (This is in Firefox, in other browsers it will be different -- in Edge it appears at the bottom of the screen):

2_280842_460000000.png2_280842_460000000.png

2. wherever it is, you should be able to select Open, or else see a .sk5 file name which can be double-clicked.

3. and when you do that and click OK or whatever (as you can see, Firefox is by far the most informative and user-friendly),

4. you should then see a downloading progress bar like this:

2_280700_080000001.png2_280700_080000001.png

5. after which the Templot video player should open in a new window separate from the browser:

2_280700_080000002.png2_280700_080000002.png

6. if you click the same link again at any time later, the player should appear immediately without needing to download the video again.

7. you can drag the video around, minimize it, whatever, swap to Templot and still see it, have several videos running at the same time, etc. Which makes this format much more flexible than watching on a web page.

But only if it works. Which it does here, just fine. But after recent reports of problems with the Templot updates and video links, I'm not sure.

Once I'm sure this format is working, at least for the majority of users, I can get on and create more videos and be updating all the old web site pages.

regards,

Martin.

posted: 29 Nov 2017 01:29

Martin Wynne

Martin Dobbins wrote:
I just downloaded 216b, I'm running it on Ubuntu 16.04 and I use Google Chrome.Unfortunately none of the videos work, I tried a number of them and all terminated with "The file you opened has some invalid characters. If you continue editing this file you could corrupt this document.You can also choose another character encoding and try again.
Hi Martin,

It's working fine here on Ubuntu/Wine, but I'm using Firefox, not Chrome.

It's clear from the wording of that message that Chrome thinks it is a text file, despite the header clearly marking it as a binary attachment.

Try using Firefox, or alternatively in Chrome right-click on the link and Save As..., then double-click on the saved .sk5 file.

regards,

Martin.

posted: 29 Nov 2017 02:10

Martin Wynne

p.s. Martin,

If you can't get the SK5 files to open from the browser, in Templot go to help > video player > open SK5 files... menu item. You can then navigate to wherever the browser saved it, and open it.

regards,

Martin.

posted: 29 Nov 2017 02:47

Bruce A Wilson

Barrie - Ontario Canada

Works fine in Windows XPPro SP3 with Firefox and AVG running

posted: 29 Nov 2017 03:00

Martin Dobbins

Memphis - Tennessee USA

I don't have a lot of time to deal with this right now, so I just did a save as and downloaded all of the files (all having a .sk5 extension) into an folder in Ubuntu Documents which I (imaginatively) called "Templot Videos".  Fortunately I can access that particular location from Wine running Templot.  I can't confirm they all work that way, but the first two I tried worked like a charm.
It would seem that Chrome, or at least the Linux version of Chrome does not support .sk5 files.

If I find a more elegant work around I'll post again.

Thanks for the suggestion,

Martin 
Martin Wynne wrote:
p.s. Martin,

If you can't get the SK5 files to open from the browser, in Templot go to help > video player > open SK5 files... menu item. You can then navigate to wherever the browser saved it, and open it.

regards,

Martin.

posted: 29 Nov 2017 03:06

Martin Wynne

Bruce A Wilson wrote:
Works fine in Windows XPPro SP3 with Firefox and AVG running
Thanks Bruce and everyone for taking the trouble to report.

regards,

Martin.

posted: 29 Nov 2017 10:15

John Shelley

John Shelley wrote:
Greetings Martin,
<snip>

I have used Avira's feedback system to report a false action and complain that although thay state that the file has been quarantined it doesn't appear in the list of quarantined files.

When normal service returns here I'll do an examination using the other browsers that I have.

Cheers for now
John, from 33820
An update on this situation.
I had a reply from Avira when I booted up this morning stating that they had examined the file and it was clean.   [Pause for gasps of surprise]  8-))
An update from Avira was done this morning so I tried again using Firefox and all is now OK.

I have to assist in a raid on the supermarket shortly so the promised trial on the various browsers will have to wait until later today, probably mid to late afternoon as there are other tasks to be done.

Cheers for now
A happy John from 33820

posted: 29 Nov 2017 10:31

Graham Idle

Redhill, Surrey - United Kingdom

Hi, now got it up and running. I went into the directory and deleted the existing templot_video_loader file the re-installed 216b. That seems to have done the trick.
The only slight problem is that it will not default to open with the loader, it's default is Templot2 Run, I then browse to the loader but "always use this to open" is greyed out.

posted: 29 Nov 2017 10:39

FraserSmith

Dundee - United Kingdom

Hi Martin

Download and install went fine. Videos load and execute exactly as described in 6 & 7. Win 10 using firefox 57.0 64 bit. No problem with my BullGuard AV (waiting till the subscription expires in the near future before binning it). A popup opened asking if I would allow something (sorry I didn't note what it was and having opened it once it won't appear for me again) to access the internet to download the (video) file. The video quality is very acceptable on my 22" 1680 x 1050 monitor(s). All seems fine.

Great work yet again

Thanks

Fraser

posted: 29 Nov 2017 17:49

John Shelley

John Shelley wrote:
John Shelley wrote:
I have to assist in a raid on the supermarket shortly so the promised trial on the various browsers will have to wait until later today, probably mid to late afternoon as there are other tasks to be done.

Cheers for now
A happy John from 33820
OK, all household duties done and dusted so I've had time to try out the video download with the various browsers that I've got.  In all cases* I checked that I had actually got the latest version installed.
* except for Safari for which I have not found a way to update it, even searching for "Update Safari" in the help pages brought nothing.

My Operating System is Windows 7 Home Premium with all patches etc issued to date installed.

Firefox 57.0
Works as expected, asked if I want to open or save, choose open and the video appears, runs and stops when needed.

Maxthon 3.4.5.2000
Asks if I want to Open or save, choose open and the video appears, runs and stops when needed.

Opera 49.0.2725.47
I click the file name to be viewed and the file name and "File downloaded" appears very quickly in a box at top right of screen. Double click on the downloaded file name and the download bar appears, obviously the file downloaded applies to the small launcher.  The video appears, runs and stops when needed.

Sea Monkey 2.48
Click on the file name to be viewed and I'm asked if I want to Open or Save. Choose open and there is a beep and the download manager window appears on screen shortly followed by the video window partly in front of it. The video appears, runs and stops when needed.  The download Manager window needs to be closed by the user.

Safari 5.1.7 (7534.5.7.2)
Click on the file name to be viewed, two windows appear. In front is one asking if I want to Open or Save, the window behind is the download manager.  Choose Open and the video window opens in front of the download manager window.  The video runs and stops when needed.  The download Manager window needs to be closed by the user.

Internet Explorer  11.0.9600.18499
Click on the file name to be viewed, a small window appears at the very bottom of the screen asking to open or save, so small it took me a while to notice it!  Choose open and the video runs and stops when needed.

Chrome 6 2 0 3702.94
A bit of a struggle, as has already been commented on.  Click on the video to be viwed and only a Save option is offered.  Choose where to save and the file is downloaded.  The downloaded file name, followed by an up arrow is displayed in a box at bottom left of the screen.  A click on the up arrow reveals a menu "Open",  "Always Open Files of This Type", "Show in Folder".  If you select the Always Open option then each time you download a new video it will play immediately - A Good Thing.

So all in all, it works on what I've got.

Cheers for now,
John, from 33820

posted: 29 Nov 2017 18:04

Judi R

Sutton-on-Sea - United Kingdom

I'm running windows 7 Pro and Firefox Quantum V57.0 browser and AVG anit-virus. The download and update went without a hitch and the videos load also without a hitch. The loading progress bar on my monitor is a light blue in a black frame and is perfectly clear but why did it appear to download the video twice?

Looking good!

Judi R

posted: 29 Nov 2017 18:10

Martin Wynne

John Shelley wrote:
Hi John,

Many thanks for taking the trouble to do all that and report the results.

It seems that it all works fine in Windows, once any interventions by anti-virus software have been dealt with.

Still not sure about Martin's problem with Ubuntu (working fine here), and we haven't had a report from anyone using Winebottler/CrossOver on a Mac.

I'm inclined to carry on regardless. My approach nowadays tends to be: "I do Templot - you sort out any issues on your computer, it's your computer not mine."

Otherwise we are never going to get anywhere. I switched off a lot of the old web site pages in order to give myself a sense of urgency in getting updated replacements done, but so far I haven't had a chance to do any of it because of all these trials and testing and releasing an update to 216b -- despite knowing that everything was working absolutely fine here.

regards,

Martin.

posted: 29 Nov 2017 18:17

Martin Wynne

Judi R wrote:
but why did it appear to download the video twice?
Hi Judi,

You mean the blue section restarted at the left? It keeps doing that until the download is complete.

If it filled the bar only once, the speed might be too slow to notice anything happening.

I could change to a much fancier progress indicator, but then there is a risk it may not work on Wine.

regards,

Martin.

posted: 29 Nov 2017 18:31

John Shelley

Martin Wynne wrote:
John Shelley wrote:
Hi John,

Many thanks for taking the trouble to do all that and report the results.

It seems that it all works fine in Windows, once any interventions by anti-virus software have been dealt with.
<snip>
regards,

Martin.
No problem, after all that you've done/are doing for us, it's the least that I could do to help things along.

Dinner bell has just sounded, so it's Goodnight from me and........

John from 33820

posted: 2 Dec 2017 01:32

Martin Wynne

John Palmer wrote:
the download progress bar could be improved by greater contrast of the colours.  Mine showed dark blue 'progress' against a black background, and I had to squint quite hard at it to be sure something was happening.
Hi John,

I have now changed the background colour to make a better contrast with the blue bar. I can't (easily) change the blue colour which is determined by the Windows theme settings.

I have also made the window a bit larger to be more prominent on large screens.

It is also now possible to minimize it to the taskbar while waiting on slow systems.

2_012022_080000000.png2_012022_080000000.png

p.s. Clicking the X on it doesn't stop the download. The video player will still appear when the download finishes.

I shall be adding additional controls in Templot itself to stop the download, and/or force a fresh download for files which didn't download correctly.

There are fancier progress bar controls available for Windows, but they probably wouldn't work on Wine, so we have to keep things simple.

In the next program update.

regards,

Martin.

posted: 2 Dec 2017 09:53

John Palmer

Many thanks, Martin - that increase in contrast should make progress on the progress bar MUCH easier to follow.

It's quite possible the absence of such contrast on which I commented was a peculiarity of my video display.

Templot Club > Forums > Templot talk > Templot update version 216b now available.
about Templot Club

Templot Companion - User Guide - A-Z Index Templot Explained for beginners Please click: important information for new members and first-time visitors.
indexing link for search engines

back to top of page

Please read this important note about copyright: Unless stated otherwise, all the files submitted to this web site are copyright and the property of the respective contributor. You are welcome to use them for your own personal non-commercial purposes, and in your messages on this web site. If you want to publish any of this material elsewhere or use it commercially, you must first obtain the owner's permission to do so.
The small print: All material submitted to this web site is the responsibility of the respective contributor. By submitting material to this web site you acknowledge that you accept full responsibility for the material submitted. The owner of this web site is not responsible for any content displayed here other than his own contributions. The owner of this web site may edit, modify or remove any content at any time without giving notice or reason. Problems with this web site? Contact webmaster@templot.com.   This web site uses cookies: click for information.  
© 2020