topic: 3145Templot for Australian 0n2.5 - getting past novice stage
author remove search highlighting

posted: 3 Dec 2017 01:47

Mark Stafford

Macedon Victoria - Australia

click the date to link to this post
click member name to view archived images
view images in gallery view images as slides
Mark Stafford is my name. I hail from Macedon. Macedon is next to the Bendigo railway line here in Victoria Australia and it seems to me I have been interested in model railways since before I was born, I guess that is just like most of us. I’m a retired IBM systems architect so I am a little bit familiar with computers though I can make a mess of anything given enough time.

Anyway, I model or should I say try to model the VIctorian Railways Narrow Gauge line that ran from Colac to Beech Forest and then on via a branch extension to Crows circular 1925. I am particularly focused on the section from Gellibrand to Beech Forest.

It has taken me years and years and years.....to build or have built the models that I need as you see when I started there were no manufacturers that I could go to and just buy what I wanted or had to have to get over the line. I started in S scale first but all my railway stuff was destroyed in 1983 when the Ash Wednesday bush fire decided to clean up Macedon and the surrounding area, my place included. Just after that some enterprising fellow decided to have quite a few On2.5 Na locos constructed, so, even without having enough spare cash I order one. Realising that it may well prove impossible to get another later on I change my order to two. Needless to say I didn’t tell the other half. If the truth be known I didn’t want to tell myself as seriously I didn’t have the money at the time. Very scary doing stuff like that. But in hind sight I am so glad I did it. I might add that at the time it was a long long time before anything else became available, but that is a whole story that could send you to sleep with ease.

But to get back to the here and now...

So I find myself now 65 years old with failing eye sight and a passion to complete (read get operational) a model that looks and feels like the real thing.

So, we get to the reason I’m reaching out to you guys. I want to get as much done in the shortest time possible so I don’t die with never having seeing all my On2.5 dream run though a convincing scenes. I am looking at Traincontroller as my mainline control and Dcc etc. I have many NCE radio throttles as well as just getting a Z21 Dcc system to do iPad/phone cool stuff as well.

At present Templot is defying all attempts by me to learn how to get a accurate template of Beech Forest station down so I can hand lay my tracks in the space (24 ft long) that I have set aside for that station. That is I haven’t even worked out how to move a peice track so it’s on top of where the background picture says were the track should be placed. It could be said that I’m not even passed square one.

My aim is to have a railway that sort of works like the McKinley Railway in England but not British.  Mainline run by traincontroller (software also yet to be mastered) and the switching of the station done by human fumbling.

Regards
Mark Stafford
Australia

posted: 3 Dec 2017 02:54

Martin Wynne

West Of The Severn - United Kingdom

Hi Mark,

Welcome to Templot Club. :)

There are some sample Templot 0n30 templates available for downloading:

topic 28

I don't know how suitable they would be for your Victorian Railways prototype, but they might be a starting point. They are for American 0 scale (1:48, 6.35mm/ft).

regards,

Martin.

posted: 3 Dec 2017 08:28

Pierre

Canberra - Australia

Hello Mark,

"At present Templot is defying all attempts by me to learn how to get a accurate template of Beech Forest station"

Many of us Temploters have been at this stage in our efforts to "master" (well perhaps just get a useful working knowledge of ....) Templot.

Stick with it, be patient, use the tutorials and like many of us you will probably find that one day (hopefully in the not to distant future) the penny will drop and you will be able to get a useful working knowledge of the program.

It worked that way for me (I'm no great expert in matters IT) and I have read comments by a number of others that it worked for them too in much same way, one day it just all started to come together. In my case it took a couple of months of dithering about with the tutorials.

Best regards,

Peter
Canberra ACT

posted: 3 Dec 2017 08:44

Mark Stafford

Thanks for the encouragement Peter. But I have been looking at tutorials for maybe eight months and the penny is still up there in the air.

I have figured out how to get my plan into the background. I have built most of the On2.5 track standards (I figure I still have to finalise check Rail’s and sleeper set up). I can make track and turnouts but to date I haven’t discovered the knack of grabbing my track and positioning it over the background picture. In other words I can’t find how to get an object to drag and drop track into a specific location of my choosing. Normally I am one of those people who read the instruction from cover to cover (a bit sick). But the section I need to read is hidden to me so far.

Hence the question. I went very close to going completely bind last year. My sense of urgency has increased as a result.
Mark

posted: 3 Dec 2017 09:50

Phil O

Plymouth - United Kingdom

Hi Mark

To move a template use the F7 short cut key and the mouse to move it and then you may need the F8 key to rotate it to the correct orientation.

HTH.

Phil

posted: 3 Dec 2017 09:53

Mark Stafford

Sensational Phil. Thanks. It is so disharterning to have something you know is there but for the life of me I couldn’t find it

posted: 3 Dec 2017 10:47

Phil O

I was going to suggest that you print out the short cut keys chart, when I first started I found it very useful, but I can't seem to find it now.

Phil

posted: 3 Dec 2017 10:53

Mark Stafford

Once again thank you Phil. I will do a bit of serching

posted: 3 Dec 2017 10:54

Martin Wynne

Phil O wrote:
I was going to suggest that you print out the short cut keys chart, when I first started I found it very useful, but I can't seem to find it now.
Hi Phil,

help > print F key chart

regards,

Martin.

posted: 3 Dec 2017 11:05

Martin Wynne

Phil O wrote:
To move a template use the F7 short cut key and the mouse to move it and then you may need the F8 key to rotate it to the correct orientation.
Hi Mark,

There are buttons for F7 and F8 in the beginner buttons at the top of the screen:

2_030600_220000000.png2_030600_220000000.png

To see those functions being used to get the first template where you want it over a background plan, see the first few frames of this video:

http://templot.com/sk5/starter_track_plan.sk5

You wrote:
In other words I can’t find how to get an object to drag and drop track into a specific location of my choosing.
That isn't the way Templot works. Watch the rest of that video to see.

Sorry it's an old video.

regards,

Martin.

posted: 3 Dec 2017 13:08

Phil O

Thanks Martin,

I had a look in the companion, I didn't think to look in help.

Phil.

posted: 3 Dec 2017 13:39

Martin Wynne

Phil O wrote:
I had a look in the companion, I didn't think to look in help.
Hi Phil,

http://templot.com/companion/gs_firstoff.php

But the chart wasn't indexed, sorry. It will be now. Thanks.

Martin.

posted: 4 Dec 2017 07:17

Mark Stafford

Martin and Phil, thank you both. I have now a paper key chart.....ah things are now start to sink in.

I now have the video and can see the logic. Martin you have NO reason to apologies for anything to anyone.

Your software is precisely what I need. Just because I’m a guy who got into computing so I could draw houses with railways inside them in cad drawing software has made it difficult for me to “get it”

But I’m starting too.

Onward and upward I say.

Mark

Templot Club > Forums > Baffled beginners > Templot for Australian 0n2.5 - getting past novice stage
about Templot Club

Templot Companion - User Guide - A-Z Index Templot Explained for beginners Please click: important information for new members and first-time visitors.
indexing link for search engines

back to top of page

Please read this important note about copyright: Unless stated otherwise, all the files submitted to this web site are copyright and the property of the respective contributor. You are welcome to use them for your own personal non-commercial purposes, and in your messages on this web site. If you want to publish any of this material elsewhere or use it commercially, you must first obtain the owner's permission to do so.
The small print: All material submitted to this web site is the responsibility of the respective contributor. By submitting material to this web site you acknowledge that you accept full responsibility for the material submitted. The owner of this web site is not responsible for any content displayed here other than his own contributions. The owner of this web site may edit, modify or remove any content at any time without giving notice or reason. Problems with this web site? Contact webmaster@templot.com.   This web site uses cookies: click for information.  
© 2020