topic: 3152tandem aids
author remove search highlighting

posted: 10 Dec 2017 20:07

Martin Wynne

West Of The Severn - United Kingdom

click the date to link to this post
click member name to view archived images
view images in gallery view images as slides
For the next program update I have added 3 extra functions to help in creating tandem turnouts.

Now in update 217a.

These will make it a bit easier to align the inserted additional V-crossing:

2_101500_510000000.png2_101500_510000000.png

2_101500_510000002.png2_101500_510000002.png

2_101500_510000001.png2_101500_510000001.png

I will make a bit of video showing these in use shortly.

The program update should be available in the next few days. There are still a few loose ends to finish first.

cheers,

Martin.

posted: 10 Dec 2017 20:22

Alan Kettlewell

North Yorkshire - United Kingdom

I'll look forward to this. I spent another whole day today getting to know this part of the process and still found it difficult to get aligned. So anything to make it easier would be great.

Cheers ... Alan

posted: 11 Dec 2017 07:52

Martin Wynne

Alan Kettlewell wrote:
I'll look forward to this. I spent another whole day today getting to know this part of the process and still found it difficult to get aligned. So anything to make it easier would be great.
Hi Alan,

A whole day? :(

I was trying to suggest that it would be worth waiting a few days until the next program update is available.

So many folks have been asking for an updated tandem video/tutorial that I have been trying to make it a bit easier to explain. There is no chance of having a one-click tandem like the new make slip functions, there are just too many variables and possible conflicts in a tandem turnout.

Anyway, here is a bit of video showing some new functions in 217a coming in the next few days. You can try following it before then, but for the new functions you will have to use manual work-arounds in 216b. It would probably be better to wait.

The reason for posting the video in advance is to avoid folks wasting time struggling with a tandem in the meantime.

Here's the video. It's scruffy, I have added some notes, but done no editing of mouse fumbles, gaps and judders:

http://flashbackconnect.com/Default.aspx?id=iYbIr74flWmgsI_8hlsXQQ2

I will get 217a released as soon as possible.  Now available.

cheers,

Martin.

posted: 11 Dec 2017 19:15

Alan Kettlewell

Hi Martin,

Well that looks good, and the on screen explanations are a real help.  Not counting the new features there were a few things different there to what I've been practising so a really useful update.
By the way when I said above I've been trying to get that part right for a whole day, I meant just trying to align the centre v section!  I've actually been toying with the tandem turnout for about a fortnight now but I can see now where I've been making errors.  For example, I had not grasped that the centre turnout needs to be the opposite hand to the turnout selected - nor did I know the curving had to be reversed!  A bit confused by that - is that not the same as having the same hand with the same curving not reversed?  I probably just need to think that through a bit.

Anyway, the new video is much appreciated and a big thank you for putting that together.

Looking forward to the new features.

Cheers ...Alan

posted: 11 Dec 2017 19:56

Martin Wynne

Alan Kettlewell wrote:
is that not the same as having the same hand with the same curving not reversed?
Hi Alan,

er, no. If you want to use a middle crossing of the same hand as the turnout over which you are aligning it (why?), you would need to swap over the two radii (which would be tricky to do). The main road curving would still need to be negative. To align it you would need to put its peg on TCP, and use SHIFT+F9 to slide it into position. You would need to swap the peg to CTRL+44 (press CTRL+4 twice) before adjusting the crossing angle. Even then I'm not entirely sure it would work every time, if the gaunt curve is quite short. You can align anything using the peg and notch functions, but generally it is much better to perform translations along the main road.

So I won't be recommending that method. :)

If you really want the middle crossing to be a different hand, it would be better to start from the other base turnout, and make it the opposite of that.

regards,

Martin. 

posted: 11 Dec 2017 21:00

Alan Kettlewell

Sorry - it wasn't intended to be challenging - merely an indication of how little I yet understand of the geometry of these things.

I'll try to get my head around It some more in the morning.

Cheers ... Alan

posted: 17 Dec 2017 08:32

Martin Wynne

So IF IF update 217b contained something like this:

2_170310_020000000.png2_170310_020000000.png

would beginners be able to cope?

It would require the 1st turnout to be already in the control template. That could be any sensible size with REA size switches A, B or C, curved or straight (but not on a transition curve), regular or curviform.

I'm just at the beginning of this and it may prove too problematic to automate. But is it a better use of my time than creating a tandem video using 217a?

regards,

Martin.

posted: 17 Dec 2017 10:48

Alan Kettlewell

Hi Martin,

I can only speak for myself of course.  I found the scruff video you did already brought me on a lot in my understanding of what I was doing.  I found the comprehensive notes you display at each pause are great and helped me to grasp what was actually being done at each step. 

I think the above automated sequence, while it might speed things up, wouldn't 'teach' us newcomers as well as the video does.    

I've only ever laid proprietary trackwork from the likes of Peco, so I've previously never made an attempt to build any and never took to learning the geometry of these things.  Using your excellent program is a great way to aid with learning and of course produce some great prototypical trackwork.    
Many thanks for your time and effort with this program and for taking the time to help me with my learning curve.

Cheers ... Alan        

posted: 17 Dec 2017 11:44

Godfrey Earnshaw

Crawley - United Kingdom

Hi Martin,

I have said it before but I think your time would be better with the videos, they TEACH us the principles.

We don't need any more automation or we may as well have fixed geometry which is against all the concepts of Templot.

Explanations of functions would be useful, for we thick ones.

regards,

Godders.

posted: 17 Dec 2017 21:03

Richard Spratt

Stockton-upon-Tees - United Kingdom

I agree with Godfrey, a couple of good videos showing the main types of tandem would be better than an outline tandem function.

posted: 17 Dec 2017 22:50

Phil O

Plymouth - United Kingdom

Hi Martin.

I'm with the above, video tutorials are what helped me to get a grip of Templot, when I started, the old step by step written tutorials were a lot harder to grasp what was going, because you didn't know if you had really done the job properly. Seeing what was supposed to happen made it a lot easier to grasp. Once the beginner has grasped the basics from the videos, it's not a huge next step to producing your own custom templates and has been said before by me and others Templot is a steep learning curve and most seem to want to jump into tandem turnouts before they have even mastered plain track and ordinary left and right hand turnouts.

Cheers

Phil
Last edited on 17 Dec 2017 22:51 by Phil O
posted: 17 Dec 2017 22:53

Rob Manchester

Manchester - United Kingdom

Hi Martin,

Many thanks for the effort so far on the Tandem issue. The dialogue you suggest for beginner tandems looks fine until the need for some working user knowledge creeps in. I can imagine the coding required would be immense to automate the whole thing.

I can see already from the other guys I am going to be out-voted on this but remember you haven't got the views of somebody who hasn't used Templot before.

I am fine with whatever you do as everything you code increases the functionality of the program.

If you go with the video route then make this video and others easily visible to new starters that way at least some will watch and learn from it. But having a few 'Peco replacement tandems' available for download would still be a good idea provided they are known to be correct in all important aspects.

Will be interested to see a new Tandem video.

Rob

posted: 18 Dec 2017 15:26

roythebus

Aldington Frith, Ashford, Kent - United Kingdom

Great stuff, I've been battling for a couple of weeks with a same-sided tandem for the Hythe MRC's Alkham layout, converting it from EM to 00 SF. The geometry doesn't quite fit as expected. Unfortunately nobody though to do a tracing of the original track which would have made life easier.

I'll have another go at the tandem tomorrow evening. tonight I'll be at the club trying the latest version of the printed track plan to see where it still needs tweaking.

posted: 18 Dec 2017 17:16

Judi R

Sutton-on-Sea - United Kingdom

I would like to add my voice to support a video on how to use the features in the current version. I did manage to create a symmetrical tandem (3-way) a couple of years ago by following the video that was available then and am very pleased with the result. I am modelling the Midland main line set in the 1960s so a Midland Railway style symmetrical would be entirely appropriate.

Having the videos to guide us through the steps has allowed me to learn to do more than just a tandem, it has helped me learn so much about many of Templot's features.

Judi R

posted: 18 Dec 2017 19:59

madscientist

I too would love a video covering the complete creation of a tandem using the latest templot versions

I'm struggling to design the tandem , and placing it into an existing track design

For example do I design all the approach roads first and then build the tandem , or vice versa
Last edited on 18 Dec 2017 19:59 by madscientist
posted: 19 Dec 2017 09:41

Phil O

Plymouth - United Kingdom

madscientist wrote:
I too would love a video covering the complete creation of a tandem using the latest templot versions

I'm struggling to design the tandem , and placing it into an existing track design

For example do I design all the approach roads first and then build the tandem , or vice versa

Personally I start with the main route and then insert a turnout in it and it's other exit track, I then overlay the second turnout over the first and slide it backwards and forwards over the first one until I am happy that there will be no conflicts and that it will be easy enough to add the third common crossing, you may need to adjust the common crossing to help get a good fit, I then add the final exit road and continue with the layout design, once happy with that, I then go back and add the 3rd common crossing and sort out the check rails and timbering.

I used to start with the tandem and add the other bits afterwards and the find it didn't work properly with what I wanted to achieve. So i had wasted a lot of time on the twiddly bits only to find out that it didn't work out.

Phil

posted: 19 Dec 2017 10:03

Alan Turner

Dudley - United Kingdom

As Phil says but I never see the point of adding the third crossing. Its position is defined as is its angle - so easily built.

posted: 19 Dec 2017 15:11

Ariels Girdle

The position of the timbers is very important in relation to the crossing, as the chairs have to be in specific places, so well worth adding the third crossing - even if you don't bother adjusting anything else.

posted: 19 Dec 2017 15:40

Martin Wynne

Ariels Girdle wrote:
The position of the timbers is very important in relation to the crossing, as the chairs have to be in specific places, so well worth adding the third crossing - even if you don't bother adjusting anything else.
Indeed.

Also the position of the check rails. It is important to see that the inserted V-crossing can be properly checked, and that all check and wing rail ends will be sufficiently clear of the running rails.

But Templot is a workshop tool for trackbuilders. Tools are used by skilled workers as they see fit in aid of their skills. If you can see or pencil in on the printed template exactly where everything needs to go, it is up to you whether to spend time creating a neat printed template.

regards,

Martin.

posted: 22 Dec 2017 13:58

Martin Wynne

I mentioned in the video that when setting the gaunt turnout radius for the additional crossing, you may see a very strange-looking template, perhaps something like this:

2_220837_450000001.png2_220837_450000001.png

The reason being that the turnout radius and curving radius are of a similar size and direction.

As it stands, its usefulness must be in question. :)

However, you can see that the actual V-crossing area (boxed yellow) is fine, and providing you follow up with do > isolate V-crossing all will be well:

2_220837_450000000.png2_220837_450000000.png

I have now added a note in the program about this if it happens.

Also, I have added menu options to be more convenient for single-sided tandems:

2_220852_470000000.png2_220852_470000000.png

This will be in program update 217b shortly, with a few other minor changes.

cheers,

Martin.

posted: 4 Jan 2018 10:28

madscientist

Personally both the video and a tandem " wizard " is a great idea , but then I'm not doing the work !!

Templot Club > Forums > Templot talk > tandem aids
about Templot Club

Templot Companion - User Guide - A-Z Index Templot Explained for beginners Please click: important information for new members and first-time visitors.
indexing link for search engines

back to top of page

Please read this important note about copyright: Unless stated otherwise, all the files submitted to this web site are copyright and the property of the respective contributor. You are welcome to use them for your own personal non-commercial purposes, and in your messages on this web site. If you want to publish any of this material elsewhere or use it commercially, you must first obtain the owner's permission to do so.
The small print: All material submitted to this web site is the responsibility of the respective contributor. By submitting material to this web site you acknowledge that you accept full responsibility for the material submitted. The owner of this web site is not responsible for any content displayed here other than his own contributions. The owner of this web site may edit, modify or remove any content at any time without giving notice or reason. Problems with this web site? Contact webmaster@templot.com.   This web site uses cookies: click for information.  
© 2020