Templot Club Archive 2007-2020                             

topic: 3157Windows Peek function
author remove search highlighting

posted: 15 Dec 2017 13:29

Gordon S

click the date to link to this post
click member name to view archived images
view images in gallery view images as slides
Could be something and nothing after my battery faux pas, but this has happened several times now.
I'm working away and the Templot screen reverts to this.  
My home page plus a blank square in the middle. Moving the mouse takes me back to where I was working.
Using Windows 7 with all updates current.

Any ideas?

479_150828_310000000.jpg479_150828_310000000.jpg
Last edited on 15 Dec 2017 13:30 by Gordon S
posted: 15 Dec 2017 13:55

Martin Wynne

West Of The Severn - United Kingdom

Gordon S wrote:
Could be something and nothing after my battery faux pas, but this has happened several times now.
My home page plus a blank square in the middle. Moving the mouse takes me back to where I was working.

Any ideas?

Hi Gordon,

I think that may be the Windows "Show Desktop" function. There is a small icon at the far bottom right of the screen which does that. It has caught me a few times.

cheers,

Martin.

posted: 15 Dec 2017 14:05

John Shelley

St Ciers Sur Gironde 33820 - France

Martin Wynne wrote:
Gordon S wrote:

Any ideas?

Hi Gordon,

I think that may be the Windows "Show Desktop" function. There is a small icon at the far bottom right of the screen which does that. It has caught me a few times.

cheers,

Martin.
I was just about to suggest that Martin .when your message arrived.  I think that the problem is that  it isn't even really an icon just a thin vertical rectangle at the extreme right of the bar just beyond the date and time display.
I've got that T shirt as well. :D

Cheers for now
John from 33820 St Ciers

posted: 15 Dec 2017 15:06

Gordon S

Martin Wynne wrote:
Gordon S wrote:

Any ideas?

Hi Gordon,

cheers,

Martin.
OK, I've found the small bar bottom right corner, but as far as I'm aware, I've not touched it all with my mouse.  I can be sitting there just considering what I'm going to do next, when it just goes for no reason at all.
The second thing is when I do deliberately click on that icon, yes, it takes me to the desktop, but you don't have the square rectangle in the middle of the screen which can be clearly seen in my screen shot.

It's not the end of the world as I don't appear to lose anything, but felt I ought to bring it to your attention.

posted: 15 Dec 2017 16:01

Martin Wynne

Gordon S wrote:
OK, I've found the small bar bottom right corner, but as far as I'm aware, I've not touched it all with my mouse.  I can be sitting there just considering what I'm going to do next, when it just goes for no reason at all.
Hi Gordon,

Found it!

It's a Windows7 function called Aero-Peek.

You can turn it on or off via the taskbar properties. If you move the mouse over the panel on the bottom right corner, and leave it there for a second or two, it will appear.

It is reported to be still in Windows10, but I can't seem to find it or make it work. Good.

That's because it is now called Peek, not Aero-Peek:

2_151110_280000000.png2_151110_280000000.png

cheers,

Martin.

posted: 15 Dec 2017 16:43

Gordon S

Thanks again, Martin. I hovered on the button as you suggested and nothing happened other than a 'show desktop' popped up. Right click on the tool bar however, took me to a menu with Properties and under the tab Taskbar, I did find a tick box 'Use Aero Peek to preview the desktop'. I've unticked that, so hopefully that will solve the problem.

Thanks again. As you know I went to an Apple desktop years ago from XP, so have virtually forgotten everything Windows based.

posted: 16 Dec 2017 17:14

Andrew Barrowman

USA

I happened to notice that this thread and another started by Gordon are displayed as started by Martin. Does anyone else see that?

posted: 16 Dec 2017 17:19

Richard Spratt

Stockton-upon-Tees - United Kingdom

All recent topics have been started by Martin. I wonder if he is feeling like he has Dissociative Identity Disorder.

posted: 16 Dec 2017 17:30

Andrew Barrowman

USA

My wife accuses me of talking to myself but I'm really talking to one of my other selves.

posted: 16 Dec 2017 17:56

Martin Wynne

Andrew Barrowman wrote:
I happened to notice that this thread and another started by Gordon are displayed as started by Martin. Does anyone else see that?
Hi Andy,

You are very observant. :)

The reason is that I moved Gordon's posts to a new topic, as they were not relevant to 217a. I'm about to do the same with Godfrey's question about skeleton draw. Most topics wander off subject, but I would rather that didn't happen in a topic about "changes in 217a", otherwise it gets mighty confusing for everyone.

The forum software doesn't let me move a post to a new topic without creating that topic first. So I did.

I could go into the database and change the "Started By" field to Gordon, but it's hardly the uppermost task on my mind today. Maybe when I have an odd month to spare. :)

One day I might even write a new admin function for the forum software to allow the starter to be specified when creating a new topic.

cheers,

Martin.

posted: 16 Dec 2017 19:53

Andrew Barrowman

USA

Thanks Martin. I thought there must be a rational explanation :)

Andy

Templot Club > Forums > Off track > Windows Peek function
about Templot Club

Templot Companion - User Guide - A-Z Index Templot Explained for beginners Please click: important information for new members and first-time visitors.
indexing link for search engines

back to top of page

Please read this important note about copyright: Unless stated otherwise, all the files submitted to this web site are copyright and the property of the respective contributor. You are welcome to use them for your own personal non-commercial purposes, and in your messages on this web site. If you want to publish any of this material elsewhere or use it commercially, you must first obtain the owner's permission to do so.
The small print: All material submitted to this web site is the responsibility of the respective contributor. By submitting material to this web site you acknowledge that you accept full responsibility for the material submitted. The owner of this web site is not responsible for any content displayed here other than his own contributions. The owner of this web site may edit, modify or remove any content at any time without giving notice or reason. Problems with this web site? Contact webmaster@templot.com.   This web site uses cookies: click for information.  
© 2020