author remove search highlighting

posted: 28 Dec 2017 10:10

Philip Griffiths

Ireland

click the date to link to this post
click member name to view archived images
view images in gallery view images as slides
Hello, 
I'm trying to create the track plan for Ebbw Vale HL station.  Pictures can be seen here:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/alan_lord/sets/72157628510926699

The second picture down shows the station in Victorian times.  There are others but this shows the single slip that gave access from the running lines to the goods shed.  One line is straight but the other from the siding that parallels the platform is curved so that it joins the goods shed line, which then goes through an arch on the bridge. 

I've produced the slip as if the line siding line was straight, but do not know how to curve it.

regards

Philip Griffiths
Attachment: attach_2603_3163_Ebbw_Vale_cut.jpeg     357

posted: 28 Dec 2017 11:48

Martin Wynne

West Of The Severn - United Kingdom

Hello Philip,

Welcome to Templot Club. Good to hear from you. :)

The make slip function can create only regular slips, where both roads are straight, or both curved to the same radius in the same direction.

To create an irregular slip where the radii differ, you need to start from an irregular diamond-crossing. To create one of those, first put a length of plain track along both roads. One as a background template, the other in the control template.

Then click the background template, and peg/align tools > make diamond-crossing at intersection.

You then need to add the slip road(s) to that manually. For details of how to do that, see this video:

http://templot.com/sk5/irregular_single_slip_.sk5

If you attach your .box file here, it may be possible to make more detailed suggestions.

regards,

Martin.

posted: 28 Dec 2017 16:58

Philip Griffiths

Ireland

hello Martin,
box file attached.  map is too big to post.
Attachment: attach_2604_3163_ebbw_vale-dec17.bgs     204

posted: 28 Dec 2017 17:05

Martin Wynne

Hi Philip,

That's the bgs file, not the box file. :)

Martin.

posted: 28 Dec 2017 17:39

Philip Griffiths

Ireland

hello Martin,
tried to attach both, obviously did not work.  
Attachment: attach_2605_3163_ebbw_vale_dec17-2_crossing_rails.box     226

posted: 28 Dec 2017 18:00

Philip Griffiths

Ireland

Martin, trying to find the page on the Companion that explains the acronyms for the various peg align positions but cannot find anything. Please can you direct me to the page?
thanks.

posted: 28 Dec 2017 18:32

Martin Wynne

Philip Griffiths wrote:
trying to find the page on the Companion that explains the acronyms for the various peg align positions but cannot find anything. Please can you direct me to the page?
thanks.
Hi Philip,

The original 20-year-old page is here:

http://templot.com/martweb/gs_geometry.htm#peg_positions

However, everything is up in the air at present. I have removed most of the old Templot Companion as an incentive to make me get it all updated. While it is still on there I never will. I'm hoping to re-vamp the whole web site in the New Year, but first I have to get the next program update released. It contains some updated stuff for tandems. It needs to be released so that the tandem video makes sense.

regards,

Martin.

posted: 28 Dec 2017 19:52

Philip Griffiths

Ireland

Thanks. I was trying to remember what the PEG position was the branch road centre, so that I could try and put a piece of track on it. I have managed to create the diamond.

posted: 28 Dec 2017 23:45

Philip Griffiths

Ireland

Hello Martin, following your advice about creating the irregular diamond, the crossing is 1:505. This is causing a bit of an issue with creating the slip. The pictures do not seem though to show a slip of squashed proportions.

posted: 29 Dec 2017 01:45

DerekStuart

United Kingdom

Hello Philip

I hope you don't mind me sticking my oar in. It looks as if you are not laying the templates over the map.If you are trying to compress a fair length of track work into a few feet then you are going to get sharper angles.

As a suggestion, if you were to ease to the left the turnout leading to the slip and make it a B7 then change the slip to a B7 or B8 it would make it flow better.

If it is any help, I would suggest plotting it directly over the map to work out the real angles, even if you then have to modify it for a straight board.

Apologies if I've missed the point or my comments are unhelpful at all.
Derek

posted: 29 Dec 2017 01:57

Martin Wynne

Hi Philip,

There is no way you can have an inside slip at 1:5 (unless you are Peco), so either the map is wrong or it isn't a slip.

Having a quick dabble over your map, I'm also getting around 1:5, see:

2_282053_550000000.png2_282053_550000000.png

although I'm finding it difficult to relate the map to your box file. :? Is this the diamond-crossing you mean?

regards,

Martin.

posted: 30 Dec 2017 09:48

Philip Griffiths

Ireland

DerekStuart wrote:
I hope you don't mind me sticking my oar in. It looks as if you are not laying the templates over the map.If you are trying to compress a fair length of track work into a few feet then you are going to get sharper angles.
Hello Derek
Thanks for the reply.  Yes I'm plotting over the map.  it is the 1:2500 of Ebbw Vale that I acquired from Edina many years ago.  The Ebbw Vale map is not available at present from NLS.

regards

posted: 30 Dec 2017 10:04

Philip Griffiths

Ireland

Hello Martin,
yes that is the slip that I am talking about.  The map that I posted is a low quality jpeg I have of the map. I've attached a PNG version that I've trimmed.  The previous posting was from a scan I made this year from the microfilm at the British Library. Unfortunately the machine only allowed me to create PDFs. The image posted was a screenshot as PDFs cannot be posted to this forum.  

Here are some pictures showing the slip:

http://flic.kr/p/aZboU2
http://goo.gl/images/05OExl

The crossover / ladder from the platform line was situation from what I can determine, under the bridge in this photo. The goods shed line went through the right hand arch, so there was little space between the bridge and the goods shed, hence why it may be squeezed.  

It is a conundrum.  I am using Ebbw Vale as a basis for a plan, so it does not need to be perfect or follow it exactly, removing this slip would be an easy solution.

regards  
Attachment: attach_2606_3163_1920-ebbwvale-lnwr-trimmed.png     203

posted: 30 Dec 2017 15:06

Martin Wynne

Hi Philip,

There is a 50" map dated 1960 on old-maps.co.uk .

By that date the slip had been removed, but the better-quality larger-scale map makes it possible to get more accurate rail alignments:

2_300950_260000000.png2_300950_260000000.png

By making the turnout from the goods shed as short as possible, it is just about possible to fit in a workable irregular single slip on the outer side of the curves:

2_300950_270000001.png2_300950_270000001.png

I have no idea whether the original was like this of course. With a bit more fiddling about it may just be possible to get a regular 1:6 slip to fit.

The difficulty with the old-maps site is scaling the maps. I scaled this one by overlaying on the tiled OS 6" map (disregarding the difference in map projection between the georeferenced 6" map and the original OS sheet):

2_300950_270000002.png2_300950_270000002.png

cheers,

Martin.

posted: 2 Jan 2018 14:20

Philip Griffiths

Ireland

Hello Martin,

how do you superimpose the one on the other and have a level of transparency?

regards

posted: 2 Jan 2018 14:34

Martin Wynne

Hi Philip,

2_020929_340000000.png2_020929_340000000.png

1. move it to the bottom of the list using the down button. This means it will be on top of the other shapes instead of behind them.

2. tick the box to show transparent.

3. move it and scale it using the shift and size mouse actions. (Also available from the action menu on the trackpad.)

regards,

Martin.

Templot Club > Forums > Templot talk > Single Slips - straight and curved roads
about Templot Club

Templot Companion - User Guide - A-Z Index Templot Explained for beginners Please click: important information for new members and first-time visitors.
indexing link for search engines

back to top of page

Please read this important note about copyright: Unless stated otherwise, all the files submitted to this web site are copyright and the property of the respective contributor. You are welcome to use them for your own personal non-commercial purposes, and in your messages on this web site. If you want to publish any of this material elsewhere or use it commercially, you must first obtain the owner's permission to do so.
The small print: All material submitted to this web site is the responsibility of the respective contributor. By submitting material to this web site you acknowledge that you accept full responsibility for the material submitted. The owner of this web site is not responsible for any content displayed here other than his own contributions. The owner of this web site may edit, modify or remove any content at any time without giving notice or reason. Problems with this web site? Contact webmaster@templot.com.   This web site uses cookies: click for information.  
© 2020