click here for a list of all existing Templot documentation
Important Privacy Information cookie information pre-print options:    

click image to open Templot Club in a new tab
Templot club top logo
looking for Templot? - (free)

you are not logged in  - Login | Join

receive all messages by email: info

Recent Topics
Front Page  Search  Image Gallery  Gallery Upload  My Account  Members  Open Source  TemplotMEC  Help  
make a donation  
please click: important information for new members and first-time visitors Templot Companion - User Guide
            messages archive on Yahoo
page trail:  Templot Club > Forums > Off track > Fresh air and photos
Templot web site

Fresh air and photos
  Page:  First Page Previous Page  1  2  3  4  5  6  Next Page Last Page      
 Start new topic   Reply blank   Printer friendly 
  Rate this topic  
AuthorMessage
 Clicked a link? Wrong message? Wait until the page has finished loading, click in the address bar and then press the Enter key. This is a timing bug in some browsers.
161st message | this message only posted: 12 Apr 2018 21:27
 PM  Reply with quote  Reply blank 
FraserSmith
Dundee, United Kingdom

view images in gallery
view images as slides
Hi Martin

There always seems to be too much choice these days and something that has to be sacrificed to get something else. I have done flyovers but that may have been with an old version of Memory Map (there's another option) as I can't see any mention in Quo.

I have just had to reinstall all my apps as Win10 cocked up an upgrade. I don't recollect any problems in re-installing Quo. Yes it is a bit clunky but it's cheap and does the job I want it to do. I don't see any problem with map drawing in Quo. Zooming in and out with the mouse wheel the maps change instantly between the scales. I have no idea what can be causing your slow screen updates. I'm running on a 10 year old computer so definitely not fast by modern standards.

Fraser

Clicked a link? Wrong message? Wait until the page has finished loading, click in the address bar and then press the Enter key. This is a timing bug in some browsers.
162nd message | this message only posted: 13 Apr 2018 14:37
Nigel Brown

view images in gallery
view images as slides
An Ruadh Stac, in the superb area between glens Torridon and Carron, taken
22 years ago. Remote but with some excellent paths.
http://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/701748

163rd message | this message only posted: 13 Apr 2018 21:25
Martin Wynne
West Of The Severn, United Kingdom

view images in gallery
view images as slides

Please do not send requests for help direct to me via email or PM.

Post your questions on the forum where everyone can see them and add helpful replies.
Thanks Fraser. Quo now working ok with a couple of local tiles. For some reason the 3D viewer is faster than the map viewer.

A couple more from 1969.

Towyn:

http://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/5737269

Tal-y-llyn Lake:

http://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/5737281

Martin.

164th message | this message only posted: 15 Apr 2018 20:03
Martin Wynne

view images in gallery
view images as slides

Post your questions on the forum where everyone can see them and add helpful replies.
Moreton-on-Lugg, Herefordshire, April, 1990.

1. scanned negative. Much fiddling about needed in handling negative, removing dust specks, improve contrast, etc:

2. scanned from commercial postcard-sized print in 2 minutes flat, no adjustments:

I'm not too sure what to make of that. The commercial print chopped off a chunk of signal box, but apart from that there is not much to choose between them.

http://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/5739214

This level crossing was the location of a fatal accident in 2010 when the signaller was distracted by a telephone call, see RAIB report:

https://assets.digital.cabinet-office.gov.uk/media/547c8ff3e5274a4290000191/R042011_110228_Moreton_on_Lugg_v2.pdf

Martin.

165th message | this message only posted: 15 Apr 2018 20:24
Nigel Brown

view images in gallery
view images as slides
That interesting bit around Hereford where at one time you could see clusters of buildings which never appeared on OS maps!

They couldn't have somehow swiped your pic, could they? Looks identical.

My memories of dodgy level crossings around there are of the Tram Inn one, to the south.

166th message | this message only posted: 15 Apr 2018 20:57
Martin Wynne

view images in gallery
view images as slides

Nigel Brown wrote: That interesting bit around Hereford where at one time you could see clusters of buildings which never appeared on OS maps!

They couldn't have somehow swiped your pic, could they? Looks identical.
Hi Nigel,

Sorry, I meant that it was a postcard-sized print from my negative. The printing was commercial, not a commercial postcard. I have edited it now.

This illustrates why I spend so much time thinking about every single word when writing the Templot docs, and still I find folks can get the wrong end of the stick. :(

It was an MOD Ordnance Depot (it's now an industrial trading estate). You can just see the siding leading off to the left. See this later view from Ben Brooksbank: http://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/3790361

cheers,

Martin.

167th message | this message only posted: 15 Apr 2018 21:03
Rob Manchester
Manchester

view images in gallery
view images as slides
Martin,

The printing machines did a lot of the work for you in terms of print exposure, contrast etc and many of them had a blower duct to keep the negs free of dust. There was often an undersize mask used for each print that chopped off one side to make sure any slight slippage in the feed mechanism didn't result in overlapping frames. They would have been printed from a complete 36 ( or 20/24 ) roll before they were cut into strips to fit in the little packet you collected them in. The bigger machines had many rolls of film spliced together with tape for developing and printing. You sometime see the tape on the end of some of the neg strips.

Colour neg film has a large exposure lattitude (certainly compared to slide/reversal stock ) which is how fixed shutter speed cameras with just a sunny and cloudy setting for the aperture ( the famed Olympus Trip for example ) could produce a whole roll of useable postcards.

Rob

P.S. Written before you clarified the stick :)

168th message | this message only posted: 15 Apr 2018 21:24
Martin Wynne

view images in gallery
view images as slides

p.s. Nigel,

Here is the 1972 25" map showing the MOD sidings:

It's a shame that the old-maps.co.uk maps have been scanned at such a poor quality, compared to the NLS maps, because they have a much wider coverage of maps at different dates than NLS.

The loop headshunt in the wood looks very modellable. But not nowadays: :(

https://goo.gl/maps/BMXpFwoTZim

cheers,

Martin.

169th message | this message only posted: 15 Apr 2018 21:42
Martin Wynne

view images in gallery
view images as slides

Rob Manchester wrote: The printing machines did a lot of the work for youHi Rob,

I imagine they have all gone for scrap now. I can't remember the last time one of those envelopes for sending off your films fell out of a magazine. :)

I'm thinking I will scan my black&white negs, but simply scan the prints instead for the colour pics. In any event I've seen the colour prints, my main interest is to see the black&white negs which I developed but never printed. I did very little colour printing, it was just too much hassle compared with taking the film to a photo shop.

cheers,

Martin.

170th message | this message only posted: 15 Apr 2018 22:54
Rob Manchester
Manchester

view images in gallery
view images as slides
A couple of shots of the sorry-looking Healey Mills yard at Horbury, West Yorkshire. It closed finally in 2012. Somebody forgot to empty it completely as there are two TEA 100 ton bogie tankers up the other end.

The nearest line in the first shot is still in use by passenger trains. Even without trains the walk is good as the Calder and Hebble Navigation is nearby. I was on the way back from Scalefour North yesterday with my bags of goodies :)

Rob
P.S. I can confirm the Scalefour Society's FB rail is of the skinny head type having measured it.

171st message | this message only posted: 15 Apr 2018 22:56
Rob Manchester
Manchester

view images in gallery
view images as slides
....and in case anybody has the wrong end of the stick I didn't walk all the way back from Wakefield.

:D

172nd message | this message only posted: 15 Apr 2018 23:03
Martin Wynne

view images in gallery
view images as slides

Hi Rob,

Map? We don't all live in the Frozen North. :)

Martin.

173rd message | this message only posted: 15 Apr 2018 23:28
Nigel Brown

view images in gallery
view images as slides
Never really happy with my attempts to scan colour negatives. However, colour prints were fine. My finally acquiring a decent camera (Yashica Minister III rangefinder) around 1979 coincided with Kodak improving not only their print films but also the processing thereof. Much preferred prints to slides anyway so stuck mainly to them. The pic of An Ruadh Stac above was taken with a Nikon F601 with 35-70 zoom, and Kodak Gold 100.

Most of the time Kodak processing was great, right up until the processing went from analogue to digital. Never really the same. After Kodak pulled out of processing I failed to find a decent alternative, otherwise I'd still be using colour films. Still take the occasional B&W, as in this Borth shot (Yashica FX3, Zeiss 50mm f1.7, Ilford FP4):

h30.jpg

174th message | this message only posted: 15 Apr 2018 23:52
Rob Manchester
Manchester

view images in gallery
view images as slides
Martin Wynne wrote: Hi Rob,

Map? We don't all live in the Frozen North. :)

Martin.
Martin,

Healey Mills Yard -> Here

Thought everybody knew where it was :) and it was far from the frozen north yesterday - I had to take my coat off.

Rob

175th message | this message only posted: 16 Apr 2018 01:25
Martin Wynne

view images in gallery
view images as slides

Back to digital - Bringsty Common, Herefordshire, 3rd July 2017.

Seats and a trig pillar:

With a view:

Looking across Suckley to the Malvern Hills.

http://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/5739704

http://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/5739708

Martin.

176th message | this message only posted: 16 Apr 2018 01:54
Martin Wynne

view images in gallery
view images as slides

Rob Manchester wrote:Healey Mills Yard -> Here

Thought everybody knew where it was :) and it was far from the frozen north yesterday - I had to take my coat off.
Obviously a modern construction because it doesn't appear on maps before the 1960s. Someone had fun with Templot: :)

It was fine here too on Saturday. For one day only.

Martin.

177th message | this message only posted: 16 Apr 2018 10:57
Nigel Brown

view images in gallery
view images as slides
Bringsty Common... Ah the Live and Let Live. In the 70s a few of us used to nip over there, camp for the night and sample the pub. Great spot!

178th message | this message only posted: 16 Apr 2018 12:28
Martin Wynne

view images in gallery
view images as slides

Nigel Brown wrote: Bringsty Common... Ah the Live and Let Live. In the 70s a few of us used to nip over there, camp for the night and sample the pub. Great spot!Still there: http://liveandletlive-bringsty.co.uk.websitebuilder.prositehosting.co.uk/

As a boy in the 1950s we used to visit the nearby Bringsty Garage & Cafe which at that time was run by my Uncle Roland. That's still there too: https://goo.gl/maps/Mys54ZUr3Fs

I haven't been there for years, but it's known for its breakfast if you are spending a day walking on Bringsty and the Brockhampton Estate (NT):

Warren Farm, Brockhampton

Martin.

179th message | this message only posted: 16 Apr 2018 21:44
Martin Wynne

view images in gallery
view images as slides

A few more:

Martin.

180th message | this message only posted: 16 Apr 2018 23:22
Martin Wynne

view images in gallery
view images as slides

Hiding in plain sight is Bewdley South's Down Distant:

Martin.

181st message | this message only posted: 17 Apr 2018 21:55
Martin Wynne

view images in gallery
view images as slides

Back to August 1969.

Bridge Street, Llanfair Caereinion:

St. Mary's Church, Llanfair Caereinion:

Ilford HP4 developed in Johnsons Unitol.

I've obtained an air blast gun which has helped with eliminating dust specks from the negs. :)

http://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/5742473

http://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/5743305

Martin.

182nd message | this message only posted: 22 Apr 2018 20:14
Rob Manchester
Manchester

view images in gallery
view images as slides
Another use for bullhead rail. Upside down, done that a few times :) An ex-railway bridge that carried traffic from the Wigan and West Leigh Junction branches.

Taken on a smartphone, Developed in my pocket on the way back to the car.

Rob

183rd message | this message only posted: 22 Apr 2018 20:45
Martin Wynne

view images in gallery
view images as slides

Rob Manchester wrote: Taken on a smartphone, Developed in my pocket on the way back to the car.Thanks Rob.

Just looked at the full-size version in the gallery:

http://85a.co.uk/forum/gallery/2001/original/2001_221606_030000000.jpg

Something went wrong with the developing because it seems to have areas of fuzzy low-res mixed in with areas of hi-res. :? Very odd.

Yes, you can find old bullhead rail everywhere. Also in this part of the world old bridge rail.

cheers,

Martin.

184th message | this message only posted: 22 Apr 2018 22:05
Rob Manchester
Manchester

view images in gallery
view images as slides
Martin Wynne wrote: Rob Manchester wrote: Taken on a smartphone, Developed in my pocket on the way back to the car.Thanks Rob.

Just looked at the full-size version in the gallery:

http://85a.co.uk/forum/gallery/2001/original/2001_221606_030000000.jpg

Something went wrong with the developing because it seems to have areas of fuzzy low-res mixed in with areas of hi-res. :? Very odd.

Yes, you can find old bullhead rail everywhere. Also in this part of the world old bridge rail.

cheers,

Martin.
Martin,

Must check the lens on the phone and clean off the fingerprints ( or maybe the heat from my leg caused the detail to bleach out in some areas ). It is one of those silly phones where the wake-up button is on the back not far from the lens and flash. A bit ironic because I left the decent phone in the car as it was only a short walk. If I go again I shall take a better shot.. :)

Rob

185th message | this message only posted: 28 Apr 2018 23:48
Rob Manchester
Manchester

view images in gallery
view images as slides
Martin,

Took a better camera back to the (former) Lancashire coal area today and made sure not to get my grubby fingers on the lens :)

Do you reckon the holes in the end of the rails are original ones for the fishplates ? Counting the bricks gives around 30 foot lengths.

This is the view from the nearby farm/foot bridge. There is no sign of the railway on the towpath side of the canal.

It is great now we finally have some leaves on the trees after a slow start this year.

Rob

186th message | this message only posted: 29 Apr 2018 19:58
Phil O
Plymouth, United Kingdom

view images in gallery
view images as slides
The holes look correct for fishplates.

Phil

187th message | this message only posted: 29 Apr 2018 21:47
Nigel Brown

view images in gallery
view images as slides
Martyn, re your Glandyfi shot above, here's another :)

Probably the same boat!
Nigel

188th message | this message only posted: 29 Apr 2018 22:24
Martin Wynne

view images in gallery
view images as slides

Nigel Brown wrote: Martyn, re your Glandyfi shot above, here's another :)

Probably the same boat!
Hi Nigel,

Almost certainly. You certainly know your Wales, I didn't give the location (although a right-click would have provided a good clue). :)

That's a great shot. Thanks for posting.

cheers,

Martin.

189th message | this message only posted: 29 Apr 2018 23:01
Nigel Brown

view images in gallery
view images as slides
Martyn

I know the spot well. When they rebuilt and re-aligned the main road above the railway I was hoping they would leave a bit of the old road as a layby, because that spot has great potential for snaps and it was impossible before. They did! So if I'm heading north up the A487 and have a camera in the car and it's the right sort of day I often stop to see what sort of shot is available.

Here's a couple of Canada geese:

and a distant shot of the Dyfi railway bridge:

190th message | this message only posted: 11 May 2018 02:05
Martin Wynne

view images in gallery
view images as slides

Rob Manchester wrote: Took a better camera back to the (former) Lancashire coal area today and made sure not to get my grubby fingers on the lens :)

Do you reckon the holes in the end of the rails are original ones for the fishplates ? Counting the bricks gives around 30 foot lengths.
Hi Rob,

That's a great pic for anyone wanting to colour old brickwork.

Yes, those a fish-bolt holes. Very often seen on old rails, and sometimes not so old -- frequently seen in one end of a check rail.

cheers,

Martin.

191st message | this message only posted: 11 May 2018 02:36
Martin Wynne

view images in gallery
view images as slides

The view from Walsgrove Hill last evening.

The clock tower is a prominent landmark in this part of Worcestershire:

Abberley Clock Tower and Abberley Hall School.

http://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/5769397

Martin.

192nd message | this message only posted: 11 May 2018 22:58
Rob Manchester
Manchester

view images in gallery
view images as slides
Martin Wynne wrote: Hi Rob,

That's a great pic for anyone wanting to colour old brickwork.

Yes, those a fish-bolt holes. Very often seen on old rails, and sometimes not so old -- frequently seen in one end of a check rail.

cheers,

Martin.
Martin,
Yes I liked the colours in the bricks. The trick in reproducing old brickwork is not just getting the colours right but imparting some texture to mimic the spalled brick and missing mortar. I have some comercially available brick papers in 7mm scale that are beautifully done and look good when viewed from straight on but viewed at an angle they don't quite cut it. One day must work on that...

Rob

193rd message | this message only posted: 17 May 2018 20:53
Martin Wynne

view images in gallery
view images as slides

I've been wandering the Herefordshire/Shropshire border in the sunshine.

Traditional infrastructure survives at Woofferton:

Hi-tech sheep:

Actually not so hi tech -- the Woofferton radio transmitters date from the 1940s. It's the last shortwave transmitter station in the UK, transmitting BBC World Service to Eastern Europe, and also some local radio stations. At one time it was the main European transmitter for Voice Of America. If you ever listened to that, and knew the quiet rural location, it was amusing to hear the callsign "This is the Voice Of America, from Woofferton".

There is a very readable account of the history of the transmitter and working conditions here:

https://www.bbceng.info/Operations/transmitter_ops/Reminiscences/Woofferton/woof50y-v2.pdf

Back to the chocolate boxes on Brimfield Common:

http://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/5777679

Martin.

194th message | this message only posted: 17 May 2018 21:19
Rob Manchester
Manchester

view images in gallery
view images as slides
Martin,

Re the Woofferton railway shot. Map from 1903 is here and I am a little confused. Assuming the shot is taken from Station Road looking along where the platforms would have been where is the bridge in the distance that appears to have had it's span removed just leaving the abutments ?

It is a nice looking track plan, see here. Wood yard with travelling crane, a wagon turntable in the goods yard and a junction with the Tenbury line. Junctions are not easy to model in the spaces usually available to us.

Rob

P.S. Just looked at the modern OS map and there appears to be a bridge shown  where the abutments are. Google Maps shows it severed. It looks a bit grand to have been just an occupational crossing.

195th message | this message only posted: 17 May 2018 22:15
Martin Wynne

view images in gallery
view images as slides

Rob Manchester wrote: Re the Woofferton railway shot. Map from 1903 is here and I am a little confused. Assuming the shot is taken from Station Road looking along where the platforms would have been where is the bridge in the distance that appears to have had its span removed just leaving the abutments?Hi Rob,

It was an occupation bridge, linking farmland:

A great track plan. Unusually the branch bay platform was on the opposite side of the main line from the branch, so all branch trains had to cross over. In later years they used the main platform.

© NLS

I don't know when the bridge was removed, but I will try to find out.

Here's a linked photo, bridge in the backgound:

linked from: http://www.robertdarlaston.co.uk/railways.htm

cheers,

Martin.

196th message | this message only posted: 17 May 2018 23:24
Rob Manchester
Manchester

view images in gallery
view images as slides
Thanks Martin.

A pic of a 'Flying Banana' too - lovely.

Rob

197th message | this message only posted: 19 May 2018 11:41
Andrew Howlett
Torquay, United Kingdom

view images in gallery
view images as slides
Martin,
My first job in the BBC when I joined in 1972, was to intercept (receive) the VOA SW stateside transmissions, select the best of 2 or 3 frequencies for each language stream using various reception techniques, apply any filtering to improve the signal, insert program announcements, etc before sending them down audio program lines to Woofferton for retransmission. For the special English and Russian programs some music programs were supplied on reel-to-reel tape which would be inserted into the program stream.

The "Woofferton" part of the station announcement was later changed to "facilities made available by the British Broadcasting Company".

We also did the same re-broadcasting for Radio Canada International.

Andrew.

198th message | this message only posted: 19 May 2018 13:58
Martin Wynne

view images in gallery
view images as slides

Thanks Andrew.

Here's a view of the knitting in the sky at Woofferton:

Over the years there have been local mutterings about strange foreign language interference with radio and tv reception, conspiracy theories about what is really going on there, dangers to health from mobile phones, etc. The latest is that it will cause the trains to crash -- which seems to have an origin here:

https://www.herefordtimes.com/news/11054498.BBC_radio_transmitter_disrupts_trains_between_Leominster_and_Ludlow/

Maybe it's no coincidence that the line hereabouts is still using GWR mechanical signalling? :)

Martin.

199th message | this message only posted: 20 May 2018 22:20
Martin Wynne

view images in gallery
view images as slides

Summer seems to have arrived, so here is a reminder of Winter:

Actually, it was only last month. :)

http://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/5781088

Martin.

200th message | this message only posted: 23 May 2018 23:00
Martin Wynne

view images in gallery
view images as slides

Light conditions were a bit hazy today for distant views. I think I need a polarising filter, although how much difference it will make I'm not sure.

I always check the Met Office forecast for Visibility VG or E before setting off. Today was only G, but it was too nice to stay in. This was the best I managed:

Power to the people of the Wye Valley

http://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/5784636

Caer Einon

http://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/5784643

Martin.

This is topic ID = 3228     Page created at 05:45 (local time) Page:  First Page Previous Page  1  2  3  4  5  6  Next Page Last Page    
You can type a quick reply to this topic here.

Click in the box to begin.

But to reply to an individual message, or to include images, attachments and formatted text, use the reply buttons on each message above.

To start a new topic in this forum, click the Start new topic button below.
To start a new topic in a different forum, click the Forum Jump drop-down list below.

Start new topic 

click to jump to a different forum:     Back to top of page

Templot Club > Forums > Off track > Fresh air and photos
about Templot Club

list recently active topics Templot Companion - User Guide - A-Z Index Old Templot Companion Please click: important information for new members and first-time visitors.
indexing link for search engines only

back to top of page

Please read this important note about copyright: Unless stated otherwise, all the files submitted to this web site are copyright and the property of the respective contributor. You are welcome to use them for your own personal non-commercial purposes, and in your messages on this web site. If you want to publish any of this material elsewhere or use it commercially, you must first obtain the owner's permission to do so.

The small print: All material submitted to this web site is the responsibility of the respective contributor. By submitting material to this web site you acknowledge that you accept full responsibility for the material submitted. The owner of this web site is not responsible for any content displayed here other than his own contributions. The owner of this web site may edit, modify or remove any content at any time without giving notice or reason.
Problems with this web site? Contact webmaster@templot.com.   This web site uses cookies: click for information.  
© 2018