click here for a list of all existing Templot documentation
  Important Privacy Information cookie information pre-print options:    

click image to open Templot Club in a new tab             Search           remove page highlighting
Templot club top logo
  looking for help ? -- -- --
looking for Templot? - (free)

enjoy using Templot? - 

you are not logged in  - Login | Join

receive all messages by email: info

Recent Topics
Front Page  Search  Image Gallery  Gallery Upload  My Account  Members  SourceForge  TemplotMEC  Help  
make a donation  
this web site is now  READ-ONLY

to post new messages, please go to

NEW WEB SITE - CLICK HERE       more info - click here
Templot Companion - User Guide
            Templot Chat Room
page trail:  Templot Club > Forums > Off track > Fresh air and photos
Templot web site

Fresh air and photos
  Page:  First Page Previous Page  ...  11  12  13  14  15  16       
 Start new topic   Reply blank   Printer friendly 
  Rate this topic  
AuthorMessage
 Clicked a link? Wrong message? Wait until the page has finished loading, click in the address bar and then press the Enter key. This is a timing bug in some browsers.
601st message | this message only posted: 4 Dec 2020 21:34
 PM  Reply with quote  Reply blank 
Trevor Walling
United Kingdom

view images in gallery
view images as slides
Hello,
Whatever the plan it is hardly a match for what has been ripped out of the local countryside. People who know the price of every thing but the value of nothing springs to mind.
It will be impossible to replace something that took millennia to develop naturally. It makes me think of what has been done across the country to accommodate modern agricultural machines(tractors) and their usage. :(
Trevor.

Clicked a link? Wrong message? Wait until the page has finished loading, click in the address bar and then press the Enter key. This is a timing bug in some browsers.
602nd message | this message only posted: 4 Dec 2020 21:41
Rob Manchester
Manchester, United Kingdom

view images in gallery
view images as slides
Martin Wynne wrote: This has made me angry:

https://www.herefordtimes.com/news/18919164.pictures-shocking-destruction-enchanting-herefordshire-riverbank/

https://www.wildlifetrusts.org/news/horror-destruction-nationally-important-uk-river

:(

Martin.
Hi Martin,

Yes I saw that too : https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-hereford-worcester-55193809

Shame. I have a word for people who do that kind of thing - it rhymes with people who work at Barclays and HSBC :shock:

Rob

603rd message | this message only posted: 4 Dec 2020 23:15
Andrew Barrowman
USA

view images in gallery
view images as slides
Rob Manchester wrote: Shame. I have a word for people who do that kind of thing - it rhymes with people who work at Barclays and HSBC :shock:
Ah yes, philistines.

Whoever did that is truly disgusting. I hope they get hammered in the courts.

604th message | this message only posted: 5 Dec 2020 07:43
Phil O
Plymouth, United Kingdom

view images in gallery
view images as slides
I see that it made the BBC national news last evening.

Phil.

605th message | this message only posted: 7 Dec 2020 18:59
richard_t
Nr. Spalding, South Holland, United Kingdom

view images in gallery
view images as slides

A golden moment yesterday, snapped, with my lens poking out of the bathroom window … that was still cold enough! (He says, after some tidying in the garden for 3 hours...) It's one of the reasons I love living here (despite the frost on the inside of the windows, the leaky conservatory, the fence that needs replacing, the heating system that isn't...)

All the best

606th message | this message only posted: 18 Dec 2020 00:20
Rob Manchester

view images in gallery
view images as slides
Hi Martin,

Are you done with organising all the old negatives from your younger years ?? It seems somebody thought the world may have thousands of rolls of film to sort through. See here :

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/valoi360/valoi-360-scan-your-film-with-a-digital-camera

Rob

607th message | this message only posted: 18 Dec 2020 02:50
Martin Wynne
West Of The Severn, United Kingdom

view images in gallery
view images as slides

Please do not send requests for help direct to me via email or PM.

Post your questions on the forum where everyone can see them and add helpful replies.
Rob Manchester wrote: Hi Martin,

Are you done with organising all the old negatives from your younger years ?? It seems somebody thought the world may have thousands of rolls of film to sort through. See here :

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/valoi360/valoi-360-scan-your-film-with-a-digital-camera

Hi Rob,

Thanks for the link.

No I'm not done. However I'm not sure I have much more that will be worth posting, it is mostly typical family and holiday stuff. I didn't have a lot of time to roam the countryside taking photos after I started 85A in the mid-70s.

Also with my Canon SLR I changed from home-processed B&W to commercially processed colour negative. Scanning them now I'm quite disappointed with the quality compared with the earlier B&W stuff taken with the Konica rangefinder. I can't really understand why I ever changed to an SLR in first place, and now of course I have switched back to the Fuji X100F without noticing the loss at all.

In any event, that gadget is intended for rolls of film. All my negatives have been cut into strips of 6 for storage in negative albums, so it wouldn't be much help.

I haven't really had any problems with the film strip holders for the Epson scanner. The big problem is DUST and STATIC, even the tiniest speck becomes enormous when scanned at hi-res. I have an air-blast duster, do scanning only in damp weather, wear only a cotton shirt, etc., but still have problems. This gadget appears to do nothing to solve the dust problem, which seems to me to be by far the biggest issue making neg scanning such a pain. The so-called dust-removal software is useless.

Have I posted this one here before?

Trawsfynydd Nuclear Flask Tranship Yard, August 1969.

That was scanned at low-res with the old scanner before I got the Epson. It would be worth looking out the neg and scanning it again.

cheers,

Martin.  

608th message | this message only posted: 18 Dec 2020 09:45
Nigel Brown

view images in gallery
view images as slides
I'm thankful that I quickly tired of colour slides, even though they were touted as what serious photographers took, and took to colour prints, which were starting to reach decent quality, in the 1980s. I kept the prints in albums, and find they scan quite well. Here's one I've just scanned dating from 1993, up Liathach in Glen Torridon:

Nigel

609th message | this message only posted: 18 Dec 2020 19:16
Rob Manchester

view images in gallery
view images as slides
Hi Martin,

No, I don't remember your shot of Trawsfynydd, although I have seen several others over the years.

There has been a renewed interest in film cameras in the last few years both in 35mm and 120 formats. I think I missed an opportunity to make some money by buying lots of equipment and re-selling it now the prices have gone back up again. It is seen as retro and cool to carry a film camera - especially if you have one that needs no batteries. I seem to remember seeing a light-meter app for your phone too.

Dust. Yes, always a problem - and Newton's rings on glass holders. We used to have a high end scanner at work that cost many thousands. It had some kind of blower pump ( or was it a vacuum ? ) and the negative was squeezed through some kind of oil bath onto the scanner unit.

Rob

610th message | this message only posted: 18 Dec 2020 20:27
Jim Guthrie
United Kingdom

view images in gallery
view images as slides
Rob Manchester wrote: We used to have a high end scanner at work that cost many thousands. It had some kind of blower pump ( or was it a vacuum ? ) and the negative was squeezed through some kind of oil bath onto the scanner unit.

Known as wet gate printing in the film laboratory industry and used extensively from the late 1970s to make prints from negatives.   It was also used on telecines to transfer print or neg onto video.   Not too nice a process,  requiring good ventilation.  The ideal liquid to use was Perchloroethylene,  or "Perc",  quite a hazardous substance.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wet-transfer_film_gate

Jim.

611th message | this message only posted: 18 Dec 2020 21:20
Rob Manchester

view images in gallery
view images as slides
Hi Jim,

Yes, that sounds familiar. I can remember the smell now - like dry cleaning fluid. I seem to remember lots of work being carried out for museums and places like John Rylands library here in Manchester.

There were later developments with lower health risks. Drum scanners were made by some of the big photographic names in the 80's and 90's I seem to remember.

Rob

612th message | this message only posted: 25 Dec 2020 23:48
Martin Wynne
West Of The Severn, United Kingdom

view images in gallery
view images as slides

Please do not send requests for help direct to me via email or PM.

Post your questions on the forum where everyone can see them and add helpful replies.
Christmas Day at the fish pass:

Recently they had been pouring concrete for the fish slots, but it's now all underwater again. It should have been finished 6 months ago, but this year's Covid problems have pushed them so far behind that they are into the flood season again. It could be like this on and off for the next 3 months.

Notice that the weir is almost invisible -- in these conditions the fish don't need a pass!

Martin.

613th message | this message only posted: 26 Dec 2020 02:23
Rob Manchester

view images in gallery
view images as slides
Martin Wynne wrote:
Notice that the weir is almost invisible -- in these conditions the fish don't need a pass!

Martin.
Martin,
In these conditions I don't think the fish will be bothering to come :(
Rob

This is topic ID = 3228     Page created at 08:06 (local time) Page:  First Page Previous Page  ...  11  12  13  14  15  16     
You can type a quick reply to this topic here.

Click in the box to begin.

But to reply to an individual message, or to include images, attachments and formatted text, use the reply buttons on each message above.

To start a new topic in this forum, click the Start new topic button below.
To start a new topic in a different forum, click the Forum Jump drop-down list below.

Start new topic 

click to jump to a different forum:     Back to top of page

Templot Club > Forums > Off track > Fresh air and photos
about Templot Club

list recently active topics Templot Companion - User Guide - A-Z Index Templot Explained for beginners Please click: important information for new members and first-time visitors.
indexing link for search engines

back to top of page

Please read this important note about copyright: Unless stated otherwise, all the files submitted to this web site are copyright and the property of the respective contributor. You are welcome to use them for your own personal non-commercial purposes, and in your messages on this web site. If you want to publish any of this material elsewhere or use it commercially, you must first obtain the owner's permission to do so.

The small print: All material submitted to this web site is the responsibility of the respective contributor. By submitting material to this web site you acknowledge that you accept full responsibility for the material submitted. The owner of this web site is not responsible for any content displayed here other than his own contributions. The owner of this web site may edit, modify or remove any content at any time without giving notice or reason.
Problems with this web site? Contact webmaster@templot.com.   This web site uses cookies: click for information.  
© 2020