click image to open Templot Club in a new tab
Templot club top logo
looking for Templot? - (free)

you are not logged in  - Login | Join

receive all messages by email: info

Recent Topics
Front Page  Search  Image Gallery  Gallery Upload  My Account  Members  Help  
make a donation  
please click: important information for new members and first-time visitors Templot Companion - User Guide
            messages archive on Yahoo
page trail:  Templot Club > Forums > Off track > Fresh air and photos
Templot web site

Fresh air and photos
  Page:  First Page Previous Page  1  2  3  4  5  Next Page Last Page      
 Start new topic   Reply blank   Printer friendly 
  Rate this topic  
AuthorMessage
 Clicked a link? Wrong message? Wait until the page has finished loading, click in the address bar and then press the Enter key. This is a timing bug in some browsers.
81st message | this message only posted: 4 Mar 2018 19:23
 PM  Reply with quote  Reply blank 
Martin Wynne
West Of The Severn, United Kingdom

view images in gallery
view images as slides

Please do not send requests for help direct to me via email or PM.

Post your questions on the forum where everyone can see them and add helpful replies.
Hi Rob,

10 degrees warmer and 2 hours of heavy rain washed away most of the snow, and then the sun came out. So Templot off, boots on, and a chance to try out my latest toy - a jam pot lid. :)

It's perfect. Press it on and it collapses the lens hood, and then the barbs inside the rim just grip the rubber nicely. Pull it off and it expands the hood at the same time.

Gloves no problem, although I didn't need them today. There's open space behind the collapsed ring, so easy to claw fingers around it rather than needing to actually hold it.

The lens hood seems to have cured any flare too. I like this one best of today's crop: 

A lower viewpoint would have been better. I have far too many photos taken from 5ft-6in  above the ground.

cheers,

Martin.

Clicked a link? Wrong message? Wait until the page has finished loading, click in the address bar and then press the Enter key. This is a timing bug in some browsers.
82nd message | this message only posted: 17 Mar 2018 02:07
Martin Wynne

view images in gallery
view images as slides

Post your questions on the forum where everyone can see them and add helpful replies.

Autumn colours at Lambswick Farm in the Teme Valley

http://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/5709143

Martin.

83rd message | this message only posted: 17 Mar 2018 07:55
Martin Wynne

view images in gallery
view images as slides

http://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/5714180

84th message | this message only posted: 17 Mar 2018 12:23
Nigel Brown

view images in gallery
view images as slides
A balmy 12C here yesterday, but freezing here today, with a strong wind and snow on the hills. The day before yesterday was also mild and I was over in the Elan and Claerwen valleys:

85th message | this message only posted: 17 Mar 2018 17:52
Rob Manchester

view images in gallery
view images as slides
Martin Wynne wrote: A lower viewpoint would have been better. I have far too many photos taken from 5ft-6in  above the ground.

cheers,

Martin.
Hi Martin,

It makes my knees sore taking pictures so low however I have lots of pictures taken from 6ft-5in above the ground :)....but at least when I am taking pictures of planes I am a bit nearer to them.

Back to Winter again today, soon be easter :? Remember this ? Cricket in the snow

Rob

86th message | this message only posted: 17 Mar 2018 19:30
Nigel Brown

view images in gallery
view images as slides
Remember that year. Several trips up the Welsh hills in snow, with the last in early June.

87th message | this message only posted: 18 Mar 2018 01:23
Martin Wynne

view images in gallery
view images as slides

Nigel Brown wrote: The day before yesterday was also mild and I was over in the Elan and Claerwen valleysHi Nigel,

Lucky you. I spent that day in West Bromwich. I knew there must be a reason to beware the Ides of March.

There is something about the Claerwen dam which always strikes me as dark and foreboding. Perhaps it is the knowledge that the dressed stone face is a sham (it is actually a post-WW2 concrete dam).

Here's some evening sunshine in the Elan Valley, where the dams are genuine Victorian engineering:

Picnic Site at Penygarreg Reservoir

http://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/5709959

cheers,

Martin.

88th message | this message only posted: 18 Mar 2018 01:48
Martin Wynne

view images in gallery
view images as slides

Rob Manchester wrote:I have lots of pictures taken from 6ft-5in above the ground :)It must be inconvenient having your eyes that high. Don't you wish sometimes that your legs reached the ground?

I'd forgotten about the cricket in the snow. Thanks for the memory. It's snowing again here tonight, which is unusual in these parts for late March.

cheers,

Martin.

89th message | this message only posted: 18 Mar 2018 06:51
Martin Wynne

view images in gallery
view images as slides

Derelict Quarry Building on Titterstone Clee
The NATS Radar golfball makes a striking backdrop to this scene of industrial dereliction.

http://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/5709973

Martin.

90th message | this message only posted: 18 Mar 2018 16:45
Martin Wynne

view images in gallery
view images as slides

Blackstone Roundabout
Wooded roundabout at the junction of A456 and B4195

http://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/5710658

I have hundreds of pictures of nothing in particular, like this. I promise not to post all of them here. :)

This one loses points for having the tops of the trees chopped off. You are allowed to chop trees through the middle, but not just the top 2ft. :(

Martin.

91st message | this message only posted: 18 Mar 2018 19:00
Martin Wynne

view images in gallery
view images as slides

The Rea valley from the Jack Mytton Way LDP
        with Neen Savage church in evening sun.

http://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/5710817

Martin.

92nd message | this message only posted: 19 Mar 2018 02:55
Martin Wynne

view images in gallery
view images as slides

Former Shrewsbury & Hereford Railway passing the castle pond at Stokesay

http://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/5711132

Martin.

93rd message | this message only posted: 20 Mar 2018 13:07
Martin Wynne

view images in gallery
view images as slides

Stanford-on-Teme

http://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/5711923

94th message | this message only posted: 20 Mar 2018 13:30
Martin Wynne

view images in gallery
view images as slides

High summer in the Teme valley

http://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/5711928

95th message | this message only posted: 20 Mar 2018 17:55
Trevor Walling
United Kingdom

view images in gallery
view images as slides
Hello,
These images really show what a beautiful land we live in.It is amazing how it changes from the stark winter landscape to the lush summer views.
Regards

96th message | this message only posted: 20 Mar 2018 18:54
Rob Manchester

view images in gallery
view images as slides
Trevor Walling wrote: Hello,
These images really show what a beautiful land we live in.It is amazing how it changes from the stark winter landscape to the lush summer views.
Regards
Trevor,

It is a shame that so many nice places have been destroyed over the years in the name of progress :(

Rob

97th message | this message only posted: 20 Mar 2018 19:45
Martin Wynne

view images in gallery
view images as slides

Trevor Walling wrote: These images really show what a beautiful land we live in. It is amazing how it changes from the stark winter landscape to the lush summer views.Thanks Trevor.

My pictures do tend to be a bit chocolate-boxy. I take the grim & grotty too, but there's no real pleasure in taking them, and I never know what to do with them afterwards. Who actually wants to look at something like this, unless intending to model it:

cheers,

Martin.

98th message | this message only posted: 20 Mar 2018 21:01
Martin Wynne

view images in gallery
view images as slides

Talking of chocolate boxes:

http://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/5712235

Martin.

99th message | this message only posted: 21 Mar 2018 13:28
Martin Wynne

view images in gallery
view images as slides

Old cottages in Ship Street, Drogheda

http://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/5712711

100th message | this message only posted: 21 Mar 2018 18:22
Martin Wynne

view images in gallery
view images as slides

Rhiw Valley Light Railway

http://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/5712937

101st message | this message only posted: 21 Mar 2018 20:33
Rob Manchester

view images in gallery
view images as slides
Hi Martin,

Love the cottages in Drogheda. Odd how alternate parts of the roofs have been re-slated as only the far right cottages appear to be occupied. Keep the pictures coming :thumb:

Rob

102nd message | this message only posted: 21 Mar 2018 20:34
Trevor Walling
United Kingdom

view images in gallery
view images as slides
Rob Manchester wrote: Trevor Walling wrote: Hello,
Regards
Trevor,

It is a shame that so many nice places have been destroyed over the years in the name of progress :(

Rob

Hello,
       I would imagine that was the way people felt when the railways first started.
Regards.:)

103rd message | this message only posted: 22 Mar 2018 02:58
Martin Wynne

view images in gallery
view images as slides

Rob Manchester wrote:Keep the pictures coming :thumb:

Bevere Island Bridge, Worcester

This once fine bridge is now derelict and in need of restoration. It serves now only to provide livestock access to Bevere Island in the River Severn. It is thought to have been built by Richard Moon, chairman of the LNWR, who owned lands at Bevere*.

http://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/5713307

http://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/5713305

*pronounced Bevvery

Martin.

104th message | this message only posted: 22 Mar 2018 03:09
Martin Wynne

view images in gallery
view images as slides

Another bridge:

Farmland near Severn Lodge
The Shropshire Way LDP and a high pressure oil pipeline cross the Severn Valley Railway under this bridge.

http://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/5713231

Martin.

105th message | this message only posted: 22 Mar 2018 15:49
Rob Manchester

view images in gallery
view images as slides
Martin,

:thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

Rob

106th message | this message only posted: 22 Mar 2018 19:40
Martin Wynne

view images in gallery
view images as slides

http://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/5713783

Martin.

107th message | this message only posted: 22 Mar 2018 20:32
Martin Wynne

view images in gallery
view images as slides

Another bridge. Not Ambridge, this is Ham Bridge:

http://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/5713838

One of my favourite pics. I remember going home with wet feet that day.

Martin.

108th message | this message only posted: 22 Mar 2018 22:24
Martin Wynne

view images in gallery
view images as slides

Church Island in the Menai Strait

http://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/5714005

Martin.

109th message | this message only posted: 23 Mar 2018 18:53
Martin Wynne

view images in gallery
view images as slides

From the archives:

Syntley Farm in 1968

http://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/5714554

Surprisingly little changed 50 years later:

http://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/5714578

I much prefer the old view. So much for modern digital cameras! :)

I'm intending to do more of these "then & now" pictures. The tricky part is identifying the location from the old negs. Google streetview helps.

Martin.

110th message | this message only posted: 23 Mar 2018 21:37
Andrew Barrowman
USA

view images in gallery
view images as slides
"So much for modern digital cameras!"

In their defense the lighting was a lot different :)

111th message | this message only posted: 23 Mar 2018 21:50
Martin Wynne

view images in gallery
view images as slides

Andrew Barrowman wrote: "So much for modern digital cameras!"

In their defense the lighting was a lot different :)

Yes I know. :)

Lighting is everything, but out of doors you have very little no control of it if the subject is more than a few feet from the camera. :(

I shall go back and have another go one day when the lighting promises to be better. No doubt by then a large metal shed will have appeared in the foreground! I was surprised that so little had changed in half a century.

cheers,

Martin.

112th message | this message only posted: 23 Mar 2018 22:09
Rob Manchester

view images in gallery
view images as slides
Martin,

You haven't learnt in 50 years not to shoot into the light then :? Mind you gaining access to a spot that keeps the sun over your shoulder isn't easy. I bet the farm buildings see a lot less activity now than in 1968, probably used for a few old tractors or bits of machinery just waiting for a restorer to come along.

Rob

113th message | this message only posted: 23 Mar 2018 22:29
Martin Wynne

view images in gallery
view images as slides

More farming:

http://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/5714790

Martin.

114th message | this message only posted: 23 Mar 2018 22:35
Martin Wynne

view images in gallery
view images as slides

Rob Manchester wrote: You haven't learnt in 50 years not to shoot into the light then :? Mind you gaining access to a spot that keeps the sun over your shoulder isn't easy.The official way is to hang about for 12 hours while the planet rotates. Whenever I've tried it, the rain starts after 11 hours 45 minutes. :)

Martin.

115th message | this message only posted: 26 Mar 2018 13:38
John Palmer

view images in gallery
view images as slides
Martin Wynne wrote: Surprisingly little changed 50 years later

Martin.
Martin, you and I seem to have rather different views on what constitutes 'little change'!  I can see some major changes in the view, some of which I've indicated on the accompanying edited view of your 1968 picture (I played around with levels to try to determine whether the building that has disappeared was attached to the farmhouse - I think it was probably separate but can't be sure).

The roof profile of the farmhouse has undergone radical change, to the extent that I'm not sure you could treat the 'shell' of the current building as a reliable guide to what was there before.  Often one can rely upon the current basic shell as a good indication of original construction, but here's a case where this isn't necessarily so.

If, like me, you are striving to create an accurate historical replica of a particular scene (in my case the station environs at Burnham-on-Sea), a good selection of historical photographs is helpful but needs to be interpreted with care.  My aim is to reproduce the townscape as it was in the period 1948-1954 approximately.  The best photographs we have of the area date from about 1963, leavened with a few shots that were taken immediately pre- or post-World War II.  Currently I am dealing with a building whose rear elevation has undergone a number of transformations since that War, and it is exceedingly difficult to determine what the building's appearance was during the period with which we are concerned.

Building details generally have changed quite a lot since those days, the widespread introduction of UPVC windows being particularly apparent, so that today I can often only rely upon the shell of surviving buildings as a guide to their original form, and even then I need to beware of major structural changes such as those that seem to have taken place with Syntley Farm.

116th message | this message only posted: 26 Mar 2018 14:32
Martin Wynne

view images in gallery
view images as slides

John Palmer wrote:Martin, you and I seem to have rather different views on what constitutes 'little change'!Hi John,

I was speaking in the sense of as seen through the camera viewfinder, and also in an agricultural sense, rather than the historical details. :)

The whole range of farm buildings could have been swept away and replaced with a big tin shed. Or alternatively converted to a residential development of barn conversions.

I don't have a map for 1968, but here is the 1901 25" map (black) overlaid with the modern map (coloured). The red X is the approximate camera position:

Based on that, I don't think the farmhouse was two separate buildings, but it is clearly now a smaller structure than before.

cheers,

Martin.

117th message | this message only posted: 27 Mar 2018 19:40
Martin Wynne

view images in gallery
view images as slides

The Clee Hill Quarry Asphalt Plant makes a splash of colour on the hill.

http://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/5718861

http://www.mqp.co.uk/clee-hill-quarry.htm

118th message | this message only posted: 27 Mar 2018 20:34
Martin Wynne

view images in gallery
view images as slides

A South Shropshire panorama

The photo-stitch join is a bit too obvious. :)

Martin.

119th message | this message only posted: 27 Mar 2018 20:43
Rob Manchester

view images in gallery
view images as slides
Martin Wynne wrote:   A South Shropshire panorama

The photo-stitch join is a bit too obvious. :)

Martin.
Martin,

Looks a bit like my background sheets where they cross the baseboard joints :( Wish I was artistic, then I could paint them.

Rob

120th message | this message only posted: 28 Mar 2018 23:30
Martin Wynne

view images in gallery
view images as slides

Best of today's crop:

Farmland from Leapgate Old Railway Line Country Park

The Regent Oil Co had a wartime rail-connected fuel storage depot here, but no trace of it remains.

http://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/5719895

Martin.

This is topic ID = 3228     Page created at 12:30 (local time) Page:  First Page Previous Page  1  2  3  4  5  Next Page Last Page    
You can type a quick reply to this topic here.

Click in the box to begin.

But to reply to an individual message, or to include images, attachments and formatted text, use the reply buttons on each message above.

To start a new topic in this forum, click the Start new topic button below.
To start a new topic in a different forum, click the Forum Jump drop-down list below.

Start new topic 

click to jump to a different forum:     Back to top of page

Templot Club > Forums > Off track > Fresh air and photos
about Templot Club

list recently active topics Templot Companion - User Guide - A-Z Index Old Templot Companion Please click: important information for new members and first-time visitors.
indexing link for search engines only

back to top of page

Please read this important note about copyright: Unless stated otherwise, all the files submitted to this web site are copyright and the property of the respective contributor. You are welcome to use them for your own personal non-commercial purposes, and in your messages on this web site. If you want to publish any of this material elsewhere or use it commercially, you must first obtain the owner's permission to do so.

The small print: All material submitted to this web site is the responsibility of the respective contributor. By submitting material to this web site you acknowledge that you accept full responsibility for the material submitted. The owner of this web site is not responsible for any content displayed here other than his own contributions. The owner of this web site may edit, modify or remove any content at any time without giving notice or reason.
Problems with this web site? Contact webmaster@templot.com.   This web site uses cookies: click for information.  
© 2018