click here for a list of all existing Templot documentation
Important Privacy Information cookie information pre-print options:    

click image to open Templot Club in a new tab
Templot club top logo
looking for Templot? - (free)

you are not logged in  - Login | Join

receive all messages by email: info

Recent Topics
Front Page  Search  Image Gallery  Gallery Upload  My Account  Members  Open Source  TemplotMEC  Help  
make a donation  
please click: important information for new members and first-time visitors Templot Companion - User Guide
            messages archive on Yahoo
page trail:  Templot Club > Forums > Off track > Fresh air and photos
Templot web site

Fresh air and photos
  Page:  First Page Previous Page  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  Next Page Last Page      
 Start new topic   Reply blank   Printer friendly 
  Rate this topic  
AuthorMessage
 Clicked a link? Wrong message? Wait until the page has finished loading, click in the address bar and then press the Enter key. This is a timing bug in some browsers.
201st message | this message only posted: 23 May 2018 23:47
 PM  Reply with quote  Reply blank 
Rob Manchester
Manchester

view images in gallery
view images as slides
Hi Martin,

Some reading for you regarding filters here

Rob

Clicked a link? Wrong message? Wait until the page has finished loading, click in the address bar and then press the Enter key. This is a timing bug in some browsers.
202nd message | this message only posted: 25 May 2018 17:03
Martin Wynne
West Of The Severn, United Kingdom

view images in gallery
view images as slides

Please do not send requests for help direct to me via email or PM.

Post your questions on the forum where everyone can see them and add helpful replies.
Thanks Rob.

I do have a UV haze filter from film days, but I never found it to have much effect. I mainly regarded it as lens protection.

It's not surprising it doesn't do much, bearing in mind that the glass used in the lens will in any event absorb quite a lot of the UV. Although optical glass absorbs less than ordinary glass.

And I've read in several places that digital sensors include a UV filter anyway, so adding another one isn't going to make much difference. And it doesn't.

However I have now ordered a rotating polariser filter, which I have not tried before. In theory it is mainly for glare and reflections, rather than cutting through atmospheric haze, so it will be a case of try it and see. It is often quoted as an essential item for landscape photography.

The one essential item I do seem to be needing for landscape photography is a replacement set of legs. I'm still using the same ones I was using in the 1969 pictures I posted. :)

Martin.

203rd message | this message only posted: 25 May 2018 17:17
Nigel Brown

view images in gallery
view images as slides

From the road end in Hirgwm, north of the Mawddach estuary, looking towards Diffwys.

https://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/5782473

204th message | this message only posted: 25 May 2018 17:41
Martin Wynne

view images in gallery
view images as slides

Post your questions on the forum where everyone can see them and add helpful replies.
Nigel Brown wrote: https://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/5782473 Thanks Nigel. The sky looks a bit threatening there.

I like your phone box picture lower down:

https://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/5782443

Martin.

205th message | this message only posted: 25 May 2018 17:45
Rob Manchester
Manchester

view images in gallery
view images as slides
Martin Wynne wrote: The one essential item I do seem to be needing for landscape photography is a replacement set of legs. I'm still using the same ones I was using in the 1969 pictures I posted. :)

Martin.
Martin,

I assume you mean the ones you walk on and not the three legged thing you screw the camera onto :D

A lot of people just think a zoom lens eliminates the need for walking, but as you will appreciate there is more to a decent landscape shot than how close you are. A lot of landscape shots that are taken with the wide or tele end of a superzoom look kind of 'forced' but sticking to either a fixed lens around 35mm focal length ( relative to film camera and full frame digital ) or a mild zoom lens of say 28-85mm can be useful. Zoom lenses are a LOT better than they used to be.

I got two new cameras recently, I will post details for your perusal at some point.

Rob

206th message | this message only posted: 25 May 2018 18:53
Martin Wynne

view images in gallery
view images as slides

Rob Manchester wrote:I assume you mean the ones you walk on and not the three legged thing you screw the camera onto :DYes. :)

I do have a tripod in the back of the car, but it's too heavy to go lugging it about the countryside on the off chance of needing it.

A lot of people just think a zoom lens eliminates the need for walking, but as you will appreciate there is more to a decent landscape shot than how close you are.Using the fixed-lens X100F that's a decision I don't need to think about now. If I need to zoom in a bit I can do it later by cropping from the full frame. I'm very pleased with the resolution from the lens, and with 24 MPX to play with I can chop off quite a lot and still have plenty for an online image.

To zoom out I walk backwards. I've fallen over twice doing that, so I now need a periscope attachment too. :)

Martin.

207th message | this message only posted: 26 May 2018 13:45
Martin Wynne

view images in gallery
view images as slides

Polariser arrived.

It certainly makes a startling difference when rotated in front of this monitor screen (flat-screen monitors emit polarised light).

Then the sun came out, so a chance to try it on the camera. Brilliant! Reflections from shiny surfaces much reduced, sky twice as blue, plants and foliage show more saturated colours.

But it is clearly confusing the autofocus. I shall have to use manual focus with it, which is no great difficulty with distant views - just set infinity.

If the sun stays out I will post some comparison pics later.

cheers,

Martin.

208th message | this message only posted: 26 May 2018 19:51
Nigel Brown

view images in gallery
view images as slides
Martin Wynne wrote: Nigel Brown wrote: https://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/5782473 Thanks Nigel. The sky looks a bit threatening there.

I like your phone box picture lower down:

https://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/5782443

Martin.

I use Highlights/Shadows in Photoshop Elements quite a lot. Here I used it to brighten the darker bits (shadow lifting) and darken the brighter bits (gives the sky more character), then increase the midtones to bring back a bit more contrast. You can overdo it, but it is good for skies.

I bought a good polarizer for my Yashica FX3 and it had the effects you mentioned. However, after a bit wasn't sure I liked it, so stopped.

Nigel

209th message | this message only posted: 10 Jun 2018 21:27
Martin Wynne

view images in gallery
view images as slides

Useful colour reference for modelling:

http://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/5803551

Martin.

210th message | this message only posted: 10 Jun 2018 22:19
Rob Manchester
Manchester

view images in gallery
view images as slides
Thanks Martin :thumb: :thumb:

211th message | this message only posted: 15 Jun 2018 03:23
Martin Wynne

view images in gallery
view images as slides

Brockhampton (Herefordshire) last evening.

http://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/5808545

Martin.

212th message | this message only posted: 21 Jun 2018 02:52
Martin Wynne

view images in gallery
view images as slides

Clee Hill Quarry:

http://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/5814695

I see Geograph are now showing larger images. :)

Martin.

213th message | this message only posted: 22 Jun 2018 11:15
Martin Wynne

view images in gallery
view images as slides

A couple from yesterday.

Lyon Crossing. An occupation crossing on the Central Wales line.

http://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/5815874

http://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/5815863

Martin.

214th message | this message only posted: 23 Jun 2018 18:30
Martin Wynne

view images in gallery
view images as slides

Rugby 1978.

http://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/5817142

Martin.

215th message | this message only posted: 23 Jun 2018 18:41
Martin Wynne

view images in gallery
view images as slides

Seedgreen Farm 1968.

Martin.

216th message | this message only posted: 23 Jun 2018 18:51
Martin Wynne

view images in gallery
view images as slides

Presteigne.

Martin.

217th message | this message only posted: 29 Jun 2018 22:00
Martin Wynne

view images in gallery
view images as slides

The restored Droitwich Barge Canal in Vines Park, Droitwich this evening.

This lock is unusual in that it originally had 4 pairs of gates, angled in opposite directions. The sockets for attaching another gate can still be seen in front of the ladder hoops.

The reason is that it links the Droitwich Barge Canal to the the River Salwarpe (behind the camera), which could at times be higher or lower than the level in the Barge Canal. The river is canalized for a short distance from here to the now-rebuilt Droitwich Junction Canal.

New weirs have been built to keep the river level no lower than the level in the Barge Canal, so that only the usual 2 pairs of gates are now needed.

Often the levels are equal, and the gates can be seen left open.

In addition, there is a swing-bridge across the middle of the lock (behind the camera), making it an unusual lock.

Martin.

218th message | this message only posted: 29 Jun 2018 22:06
d827kelly
Coventry, United Kingdom

view images in gallery
view images as slides
Not done much not model railway/railway with the camera recently, however a recent picnic allowed me to capture this of our rescue Staffie/Greyhound Poppy. She actually stayed still enough for the photo!

219th message | this message only posted: 30 Jun 2018 07:20
Jim Guthrie
United Kingdom

view images in gallery
view images as slides
Not done much not model railway/railway with the camera recently, however a recent picnic allowed me to capture this of our rescue Staffie/Greyhound Poppy. She actually stayed still enough for the photo!

Snap . :D

My dog,  also a rescue and a Staffie/Whippet cross.  She's about eight in this picture and starting to go a bit grey.  She is now eleven and very grey.  :)

Jim.

220th message | this message only posted: 30 Jun 2018 07:58
d827kelly
Coventry, United Kingdom

view images in gallery
view images as slides
Lovely Jim :)

Poppy, is 2 sometime this month. But being a rescue we don't know when, so we'll count the end of August as her birthday and celebrate her 'Gotcha' day. She's been a handful, is very energetic and bouncy, but has a lovely temperament, and is responding well to training now she has settled down in what is her 6th chance at a home, so has not really had much of a stable life upto now (hence some of the behaviour problems we've encountered).

221st message | this message only posted: 4 Jul 2018 01:03
Martin Wynne

view images in gallery
view images as slides

A familiar scene for visitors to Arley on the SVR.

Martin.

222nd message | this message only posted: 7 Jul 2018 12:49
Martin Wynne

view images in gallery
view images as slides

I have thousands of images, but sometimes it takes the passing of a few years before realising which ones are worth a second look. This is Clun in 2007.

http://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/5832867

Martin.

223rd message | this message only posted: 7 Jul 2018 13:25
Nigel Brown

view images in gallery
view images as slides
Like it. Long time since I've been to Clun. The border towns are fascinating. Could be the subject of a short branch.

Here's a railway-related snap taken a couple of weeks ago:

https://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/5832161

The Lakelander was a service put on by West Coast Railways on the Oxenholme to Windermere line, after Northern trains had suspended their service because of timetable chaos.

Nigel

224th message | this message only posted: 11 Jul 2018 07:34
Martin Wynne

view images in gallery
view images as slides

Nigel Brown wrote: Like it. Long time since I've been to Clun. The border towns are fascinating. Could be the subject of a short branch.Hi Nigel,

One of Iain Rice's layout plans is for a Light Railway to Clun from Broome on the Central Wales line, with a flavour of the Bishops Castle. It's an easy route along the River Clun, here's a site for Clunton station:

https://goo.gl/maps/YKJvFVazEvL2

which would now be a distant memory.

Martin.

225th message | this message only posted: 12 Jul 2018 02:58
Andrew Barrowman
USA

view images in gallery
view images as slides
We don't travel that much. A view from the kitchen window.

226th message | this message only posted: 19 Jul 2018 15:16
Nigel Brown

view images in gallery
view images as slides
Here's another couple of shots from my recent Scottish trip, both from the Torridon area in the north west.

Torridon pier, Loch Torridon, with Beinn Damh beyond

Beinn Eighe from Incheril, Kinlochewe

227th message | this message only posted: 29 Jul 2018 00:23
Martin Wynne

view images in gallery
view images as slides

Cooler days:

http://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/5857289

Martin.

228th message | this message only posted: 29 Jul 2018 03:44
Andrew Barrowman
USA

view images in gallery
view images as slides
Nigel Brown wrote: Here's another couple of shots from my recent Scottish trip, both from the Torridon area in the north west.

Torridon pier, Loch Torridon, with Beinn Damh beyond

Beinn Eighe from Incheril, Kinlochewe

Hi Nigel,

Torridon is a magical place. We go there when we get a chance.

Our Cairn Terrier was rescued from a puppy mill. He's called Torri - short for Torridon. It seemed appropriate.

Andy

229th message | this message only posted: 5 Aug 2018 23:58
Rob Manchester
Manchester

view images in gallery
view images as slides
Llandudno north bay from the Great Orme. Lots of lovely scenery on walks round here. Coastline in the distance round to Rhyl and Prestatyn. Lots more sheep on the Orme now to keep the goats company. Plenty of snakes on the move this week so was careful not to stand on any .

Platform trucks at Glyndyfrdwy on the Llangollen railway. Planty of variety.

Llandudno station. A pale shadow of it's former self. Platforms 1 and 2 on the right, platform 3 on the left. Formerly there was also platforms 4 and 5 too. Cab road for the horse drawn carriages rapidly grassing over - despite the heatwave.

Llandudno station track on platform 2. Comments welcome on the sleeper end clips and the signage...

Rob

230th message | this message only posted: 11 Aug 2018 19:44
Martin Wynne

view images in gallery
view images as slides

Thanks for the Llandudno pics Rob.

A damp evening here, so ideal for handling negs without dust.

These are in the Maenofferen Slate Quarry in August 1969:

At least I think they are, my notes just say Slate, Ffestiniog, 8/69. I remember climbing the incline out of Blaenau Ffestiniog in the rain, and fish & chips when I got back. :)

Lots more like this, but all much the same. I will post a few more. Ilford FP4 + Acutol.

I'm not entirely sure I should go on posting this stuff on a "Templot" forum, there being no obvious relevance. I thought there would be lots of similar web forums for posting such "fresh air" photos, but I haven't been able to find one I would want to post on. There are dozens of photography forums, but they are all immersed in advertising, and the usual endless arguments about Canon v. Nikon and who's got the biggest lens. Plus a lot of arty-farty photos which do nothing for me.

I do have an unused licence for a XenForo forum+gallery and there is masses of spare capacity on the server. I'm wondering whether to set up a separate forum similar to this topic, but open to everyone, rather than limited to Templot users? I can't believe the world needs another photography forum, but if I can't find one I like...

cheers,

Martin.

231st message | this message only posted: 11 Aug 2018 20:49
Martin Wynne

view images in gallery
view images as slides

A few more in sunshine. The rain seems to have stopped:

That's a great shot. This is the first time I have seen it, 50 years after taking it. :)

Where are they now I wonder? I hope they are ok.

Martin.

232nd message | this message only posted: 11 Aug 2018 21:50
Martin Wynne

view images in gallery
view images as slides

Here they are again:

What a great playground they had - summer school holidays 1969, in the sunshine. :)

Martin.

233rd message | this message only posted: 11 Aug 2018 22:10
Rob Manchester
Manchester

view images in gallery
view images as slides
Hi Martin,

If these are the quality of pics we can expect just keep posting them on here. Wonderful.

I can't see the need for a forum just for pics as there are ( as you say ) plenty of them if people desire. Surely it is just a bit of light relief from spiking track or building crossing vees :)

Pity one of the young boys wasn't me, I would have loved playing around there. My strict dad would have told me to come down before I fell down :(

Rob ( 24 million pixels and a huge lens :D )

234th message | this message only posted: 11 Aug 2018 22:53
Martin Wynne

view images in gallery
view images as slides

Rob Manchester wrote: If these are the quality of pics we can expect just keep posting them on here. Wonderful.Thanks Rob.

I don't really know what to expect. I knew I had some pics taken in the slate quarries, and I remember printing a few of them. But I have no recollection of taking those.

My dad would also have told me to get down. But it's not likely he would have been there -- I roamed free in the school holidays in the 1950s, just like those boys. But not in such a fantastic location. :(

Back to another lost world. Neat ballast without a weed in sight. I think these are near Talerddig on the Cambrian main line, in the early 1970s. If I can pin down the locations I will put them on Geograph. Anyone?

GWR through-bolted chairs:

edit: from the hedge pattern on the distant hillside, I think this was taken from the A470 about 1/2 mile north of Carno, see:  https://goo.gl/maps/xPHb5Hvngi52

Looking west from the bridge over Talerddig cutting.

https://goo.gl/maps/aMVYCeGJzZm

Martin.

235th message | this message only posted: 11 Aug 2018 23:23
Martin Wynne

view images in gallery
view images as slides

Drainage work in Talerddig cutting. But where is everyone?

Martin.

236th message | this message only posted: 11 Aug 2018 23:28
Rob Manchester
Manchester

view images in gallery
view images as slides
Martin,

Talerddig Cutting

Rob

237th message | this message only posted: 12 Aug 2018 00:04
Martin Wynne

view images in gallery
view images as slides

Thanks for the link Rob.

A grey day for a grey scene at Dolgellau:

Those who had worked there must have been in tears to see that. :(

Martin.

238th message | this message only posted: 12 Aug 2018 08:26
Phil O
Plymouth, United Kingdom

view images in gallery
view images as slides
Martin,

Great photo's, please keep them coming, as it provides some detail from a bygone age, which can be handy for modelling purposes, even when not specifically railway related. colour would have been nice, but in those far off days colour was rare.

Thanks

Phil

239th message | this message only posted: 12 Aug 2018 13:09
Martin Wynne

view images in gallery
view images as slides

Thanks Phil.

Back to the slate. Same date, in the dressing sheds:

I do remember taking those, although I can't be sure in which quarry. The shed looks to be in an excellent state of repair, out of keeping with the surroundings. It probably still stands. Anyone?

I was in there with the permission of the last two remaining quarry workers. They were very pleased to have someone taking an interest, and showed me how to split slate. I'm sure I took a photo of them, but I can't find the neg at present.

This is an odd loose neg, no information of where or when, but probably the same as the others:

Martin.

240th message | this message only posted: 12 Aug 2018 13:29
Nigel Brown

view images in gallery
view images as slides
Hi Martin

Think they're fine. Keep 'em coming. I'll add more of my own from time to time. By the way, re other sites, I'm sure Geograph is an excellent place to put them, a visual record of places exactly as they were/are is what the site is about.

Here's a couple of my Talerrdig shots, to complement yours, taken in 2008. Looking on Geograph, it's interesting as to how much the trees and bushes have grown, compared with John Lucas's shots taken in 2001.

This is topic ID = 3228     Page created at 21:05 (local time) Page:  First Page Previous Page  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  Next Page Last Page    
You can type a quick reply to this topic here.

Click in the box to begin.

But to reply to an individual message, or to include images, attachments and formatted text, use the reply buttons on each message above.

To start a new topic in this forum, click the Start new topic button below.
To start a new topic in a different forum, click the Forum Jump drop-down list below.

Start new topic 

click to jump to a different forum:     Back to top of page

Templot Club > Forums > Off track > Fresh air and photos
about Templot Club

list recently active topics Templot Companion - User Guide - A-Z Index Templot Explained for beginners Please click: important information for new members and first-time visitors.
indexing link for search engines

back to top of page

Please read this important note about copyright: Unless stated otherwise, all the files submitted to this web site are copyright and the property of the respective contributor. You are welcome to use them for your own personal non-commercial purposes, and in your messages on this web site. If you want to publish any of this material elsewhere or use it commercially, you must first obtain the owner's permission to do so.

The small print: All material submitted to this web site is the responsibility of the respective contributor. By submitting material to this web site you acknowledge that you accept full responsibility for the material submitted. The owner of this web site is not responsible for any content displayed here other than his own contributions. The owner of this web site may edit, modify or remove any content at any time without giving notice or reason.
Problems with this web site? Contact webmaster@templot.com.   This web site uses cookies: click for information.  
© 2018