topic: 3250Enlarging holes in small washers
author remove search highlighting

posted: 28 Mar 2018 00:22

Rob Manchester

Manchester - United Kingdom

click the date to link to this post
click member name to view archived images
view images in gallery view images as slides
What is the easiest way to slightly enlarge the inside diameter of 1.0mm thick brass or steel washers ? I use washers to take up side play on RTR locos when converting to EM. The inside diameters are nominally 2 and 3mm depending on the axle size of the loco but the washers purchased are often upto 1mm small on the hole size. There isn't much metal to prevent the washer rotating when using a small reamer, it either won't cut or if you feed a little more through it grabs and dislodges the washer. Using a small circular file works if you file slowly but the washer looks a bit of a mess. Next try is to solder the washers to a metal strip and then just drill them before unsoldering and cleaning up the solder. unless anybody has any other ideas :)

Rob

posted: 28 Mar 2018 01:17

Nigel Brown

Tricky business. I find that Romford 1/8" washers are sometimes a bit tight; the best way to ease them is with a round file as you've suggested, but the amount needing taking off is small. If you have more to take off, can't you find larger washers? What diameter hole are you looking for? Is it the 2mm or 3mm you mentioned?

Nigel
Last edited on 28 Mar 2018 01:19 by Nigel Brown
posted: 28 Mar 2018 09:08

Phil O

Plymouth - United Kingdom

Try using a broach, it may be a bit hard going in 1mm thick material.

Phil

posted: 28 Mar 2018 10:35

Jim Guthrie

United Kingdom

Rob Manchester wrote:
Next try is to solder the washers to a metal strip and then just drill them before unsoldering and cleaning up the solder. unless anybody has any other ideas :)
Rob,

I would either solder the washers to a bit of brass or nickel silver and drill through then unsolder and clean up,  or,  if you were dealing with materials which wouldn't solder,  stick the washer to the material with cyano glue and drill through then heat with a torch or clean soldering iron to break the glue bond and clean up.    Another traditional method is to stick the washer to a base with shellac and do the drilling,  then heat to break the shellac bond.   Or buy washers that don't need opening out. :D

Jim.

posted: 28 Mar 2018 11:30

Martin Wynne

West Of The Severn - United Kingdom

Make your own? :)

posted: 28 Mar 2018 19:21

polybear

Hi Rob,
The EMGS sell 1/8" bore brass washers in 0.25mm, 0.5mm and 1.0mm thicknesses; packs of 10 are 85p.
HTH
Brian
Last edited on 28 Mar 2018 19:21 by polybear
posted: 28 Mar 2018 23:39

Rob Manchester

Hi All,

Thanks for all the posts. Yes Martin, maybe I should crank up the lathe and make some :)

While having a bath :shock: I had an idea. It works. I used a machine vice that has v-grooves running horizontally along both jaws and inserted a washer at the end of the jaws so it is clamped at 4 places on it's circumference. Tighten gently, but not too much, then used a cheap 6 sided reamer to enlarge the hole. I sand the washers to the desired thickness after doing this, if required.

Thanks Brian, I am using the EMGS washers. I just buy the 1mm thick ones and sand them to the thickness required on a sheet of emery taped to the dining room table workbench.

Rob

posted: 29 Mar 2018 17:15

Jim Guthrie

United Kingdom

Rob,

I have to confess that since the washers were 1mm thick, I would probably have grabbed them in the curved recesses in a pair of pliers and bashed a drill through on the pillar drill. :):)

Jim.

posted: 29 Mar 2018 18:54

Rob Manchester

Jim Guthrie wrote:
Rob,

I have to confess that since the washers were 1mm thick, I would probably have grabbed them in the curved recesses in a pair of pliers and bashed a drill through on the pillar drill. :):)

Jim.
Jim,

Yes, good suggestion. Long handled pliers I think, you can aford to mash a few up ( washers that is - not fingers :? )

Rob

Templot Club > Forums > Off track > Enlarging holes in small washers
about Templot Club

Templot Companion - User Guide - A-Z Index Templot Explained for beginners Please click: important information for new members and first-time visitors.
indexing link for search engines

back to top of page

Please read this important note about copyright: Unless stated otherwise, all the files submitted to this web site are copyright and the property of the respective contributor. You are welcome to use them for your own personal non-commercial purposes, and in your messages on this web site. If you want to publish any of this material elsewhere or use it commercially, you must first obtain the owner's permission to do so.
The small print: All material submitted to this web site is the responsibility of the respective contributor. By submitting material to this web site you acknowledge that you accept full responsibility for the material submitted. The owner of this web site is not responsible for any content displayed here other than his own contributions. The owner of this web site may edit, modify or remove any content at any time without giving notice or reason. Problems with this web site? Contact webmaster@templot.com.   This web site uses cookies: click for information.  
© 2020