Templot Club Archive 2007-2020                             

topic: 3263Gauge changing over time using ply sleepers?
author remove search highlighting

posted: 1 May 2018 19:57

Michael Henfrey

Loughborough - United Kingdom

click the date to link to this post
click member name to view archived images
view images in gallery view images as slides
I was reading the latest issue of the scalefour news and someone mentioned about a layout using ply sleepers going under gauge after a few years due to using plywood sleepers.  Is this something that happens alot?  I am making mine to 4-SF so I am hoping it has a little more leniency compared to P4 as I don't want to have to attempt to fix issues with my track after a few years as i'm already going through too many just trying to thread them on lol
Cheers

posted: 1 May 2018 20:12

Martin Wynne

West Of The Severn - United Kingdom

Hi Michael,

Some confusion there?

Injection-moulded plastic sleepers do shrink with age, unless moulded at very high pressure.

Plywood doesn't. However it does vary with humidity, expanding in moist conditions and shrinking in dry weather.

Unless you start with damp ply timbers, you won't have any problems. It may be worth storing them somewhere warm and dry for a few days before using them. The normal variations won't have any effect on 4-SF.

There are lots of layouts with ply timbers, still going strong after many years. Including P4. :)

cheers,

Martin.

posted: 1 May 2018 20:40

Michael Henfrey

Thanks Martin, I have had my plywood up in the loft for a few months now all cut up so that should help then. I just didn't want to find it all going wrong in a year or 2 so that's good to hear.

Cheers

posted: 1 May 2018 21:12

Rob Manchester

Manchester - United Kingdom

Michael Henfrey wrote:
I was reading the latest issue of the scalefour news and someone mentioned about a layout using ply sleepers going under gauge after a few years due to using plywood sleepers.  Is this something that happens alot?  I am making mine to 4-SF so I am hoping it has a little more leniency compared to P4 as I don't want to have to attempt to fix issues with my track after a few years as i'm already going through too many just trying to thread them on lol
Cheers
Hi Michael,

Wood shrinks mainly across the grain as moisture evaporates. The drier the environment the wood is kept in the more the likely shrinkage. Plywood is made from alternate layers of wood bonded together with the grain of the outer layers always being in the same direction. 0.8mm ply sleepers are made with 3 layers in total so assuming you have the sleepers/timbers cut lengthwise with the grain there won't be an issue. I use 0.4mm ply as well for goods yards and such like as it doesn't take as much cinder ballast to build up the groundwork. As Martin says there are many layouts out there that have been fine for many years. I think ply is more stable than plastic sleepers - with the thin plastic sleepers you have to make sure they are well glued down or the solvent used to attach the chairs can cause the sleepers to warp.

The cheapish wood moisture meters are useful for checking on timber moisture content generally, not that I am suggesting you use one on the sleepers.

Rob

posted: 2 May 2018 08:40

Michael Henfrey

Thanks Rob, Yeah the ply is cut with the grain. It's a loft layout and so it is quite dry up there so they will only get moisture when I add water/pva mix for ballasting.

I'm using exactoscale chairs at the moment and they are really brittle, breaking no end, might switch to c&l ones as they don't look much different, when painted I don't think anyone would be able to tell

posted: 2 May 2018 12:07

Rob Manchester

Michael Henfrey wrote:
Thanks Rob, Yeah the ply is cut with the grain. It's a loft layout and so it is quite dry up there so they will only get moisture when I add water/pva mix for ballasting.

I'm using exactoscale chairs at the moment and they are really brittle, breaking no end, might switch to c&l ones as they don't look much different, when painted I don't think anyone would be able to tell
I prefer the Exactoscale chairs to the C&L ones ! I think the moulded detail is better and the moulds are currently producing less flash, at least on most types of chair. The Exactoscale ones seem to take less solvent to produce a good bond in my view but that may be subjective. Are you staining the timbers/sleepers before laying them and if so what with ?

Rob

posted: 2 May 2018 12:21

Jim Guthrie

United Kingdom

Rob Manchester wrote:
Michael Henfrey wrote:

I prefer the Exactoscale chairs to the C&L ones ! I think the moulded detail is better and the moulds are currently producing less flash, at least on most types of chair. The Exactoscale ones seem to take less solvent to produce a good bond in my view but that may be subjective. Are you staining the timbers/sleepers before laying them and if so what with ?

As a matter of interest,  both ranges are moulded by the same company and probably with the same material,  as are our S Scale Society chairs.  That certainly was the situation a year ago when I checked the location of the moulds for the S Scale chairs.

Jim.

posted: 2 May 2018 16:35

Hayfield

United Kingdom

Jim Guthrie wrote:
Rob Manchester wrote:
Michael Henfrey wrote:

As a matter of interest,  both ranges are moulded by the same company and probably with the same material,  as are our S Scale Society chairs.  That certainly was the situation a year ago when I checked the location of the moulds for the S Scale chairs.

Jim.

Jim

Off topic a bit but what code rail do the S gauge chairs take please

John

posted: 2 May 2018 16:46

Jim Guthrie

United Kingdom

Off topic a bit but what code rail do the S gauge chairs take please
John,

We had Code 87 bullhead specially drawn for us and the chairs were made to fit the rail.  They are a very good Goldilocks fit - not too tight,  not to loose,  but just right. :)

Jim.

posted: 2 May 2018 16:54

Hayfield

United Kingdom

Pity I want some chairs for a 7 mm narrow gauge layout and for visual effect have settled on code 100. Was hoping S gauge chairs and rail might fit the bill. Back to the drawing board
Thanks for a swift reply
Last edited on 2 May 2018 16:54 by Hayfield
posted: 2 May 2018 16:56

Stephen Freeman

Sandbach - United Kingdom

Hi,
Are you sure that it really is the latest Scalefour mag? The latest one points out the vagaries of using steel rail etc but I can't see anything about plywood sleepers. Could it possibly have been an earlier  issue with maybe a seasonal twist? :cool:

Michael Henfrey wrote:
Cheers

posted: 2 May 2018 17:27

Michael Henfrey

Rob: I am staining my sleepers before I put it the chairs on with Colron Jacobean dark oak I believe. I have stuck some on and they have bonded well, But the exactoscale chairs I have seem to break more easily when trying to thread them onto the rail.  I do agree they have more detail though.  (I am filing it to a point first to make it easier using the vee filing jig)

Borg: Yep it's in the latest on the last paragraph of page 8, But it is referring to an article in MRJ 259
Last edited on 2 May 2018 17:28 by Michael Henfrey
posted: 2 May 2018 18:42

Phil O

Plymouth - United Kingdom

I believe that most of the gauge narrowing, is due to the track gauges gripping more than just the head of the rail and thus holding the rail vertically, whereas the chairs are made to hold the rail with a prototypical 1 in 20 incline and thus over time the rail reverts to inclined and gives the gauge narrowing.

Phil

posted: 2 May 2018 19:11

Rob Manchester

Michael Henfrey wrote:
Rob: I am staining my sleepers before I put it the chairs on with Colron Jacobean dark oak I believe. I have stuck some on and they have bonded well, But the exactoscale chairs I have seem to break more easily when trying to thread them onto the rail.  I do agree they have more detail though.  (I am filing it to a point first to make it easier using the vee filing jig)

Borg: Yep it's in the latest on the last paragraph of page 8, But it is referring to an article in MRJ 259
Michael,

Isn't Colron water based ? I tend to use an Isopropyl alcohol stain that has been coloured with india ink or similar. I use it a lot in wood building construction for my american layouts making sure to stain both sides of the wood to equalize any movement.

I don't file the rail to a point before threading on the chairs. I have a mini bench grinder by the work area. Just touch either sie of the rail foot onto a fine grinding wheel and then quickly apply all four sides of the rail to a wire brush wheel on the other end of the grinder. Seems to work OK for me and it doesn't hurt so much when you stab the rail end in your finger ( although it does if your finger gets too near the grinding wheel ) :(

Rob

posted: 3 May 2018 08:50

Stephen Freeman

Sandbach - United Kingdom

Hi,
Exactoscale chairs - I remember that some time ago - pre C&L involvement, that I had a similar problem. It wasn't repeated so I thought they had it sorted, perhaps I'm wrong in thinking that? I put it down to a rogue batch. I did mention it to Exactoscale at the time but didn't get a reply.

There is no need to file the rail to a point for threading chairs. It's just the foot and web that needs attention, the head can be left alone.

For what it's worth I use Cuprinol Fence paint (it's really a stain I think) Black Ash. A tin goes a long way.

posted: 3 May 2018 08:54

Michael Henfrey

I'm not sure, I just seen it recommended a few times from different people, I've gone abit too far now to switch it over so hopefully it should be ok. I will have a look at the Iso Alcohol version though.. Yeah I have stabbed myself a few times so far but I reckon that for every 2 chairs I put on 1 will break on the underside

posted: 3 May 2018 10:16

Jim Guthrie

United Kingdom

It could be that the problem of the chairs breaking is not with them, but with the rail section if the web of the rail has got thicker for some reason - i.e. if the rail the chairs were designed for is no longer available and a close substitute has been sourced.

Jim.
Last edited on 3 May 2018 10:17 by Jim Guthrie
posted: 3 May 2018 10:34

Hayfield

United Kingdom

Phil
I tend to agree with you on this one, also if rail is  not precurved or at bends there is too much tension this could also cause gauge narrowing/widening if either is unsupported until fully cured

Given that the ply sleepers / timbers are not that large, if there were any movement I would have thought it would be minimal and possibly within tolerances  

posted: 3 May 2018 10:38

Hayfield

United Kingdom

Borg-Rail wrote:
Hi,
Exactoscale chairs - I remember that some time ago - pre C&L involvement, that I had a similar problem. It wasn't repeated so I thought they had it sorted, perhaps I'm wrong in thinking that? I put it down to a rogue batch. I did mention it to Exactoscale at the time but didn't get a reply.

There is no need to file the rail to a point for threading chairs. It's just the foot and web that needs attention, the head can be left alone.

For what it's worth I use Cuprinol Fence paint (it's really a stain I think) Black Ash. A tin goes a long way.
I have been told by someone who works in plastics, if the plastic is too hot during the process it becomes brittle, I have seen this with some C&L 4 & 7 mm chairs. I think this is a rare occurrence though

posted: 3 May 2018 11:31

Nigel Brown

From experience with other chairs, different plastics can be used. Some are a bit more brittle, some flex a bit.

One thing; always clean the rail thoroughly before use. There will be a bit of crud left over from the manufacturing process, and also natural oxidisation. This will prevent the chair sliding easily on the rail. If the chair doesn't slide reasonably easily, you're in for trouble.

Nigel

posted: 3 May 2018 12:39

Martin Wynne

West Of The Severn - United Kingdom

Michael Henfrey wrote:
I reckon that for every 2 chairs I put on 1 will break on the underside
Hi Michael,

Try threading them in a bowl of hot soapy water. But only if nickel-silver, not for steel rail.

cheers,

Martin.

posted: 3 May 2018 16:14

Hayfield

United Kingdom

I know towards the end of the previous C&L owners reign there was an issue with some rail, Phil thinks the wrong rail die was used, certainly the new rail he had drawn earlier this year was back within specification

posted: 3 May 2018 18:12

Michael Henfrey

Thanks all, I spent abit more time working on the rail to get it ready for threading on the chairs and I went through alot less chairs than I normally would. I think as I was filing the rail to make it easier to thread on it was causing some burrs or something in the web of the rail.

I remember reading something about the rail, I got mine back in Feb and it looks ok :)

Templot Club > Forums > Trackbuilding topics > Gauge changing over time using ply sleepers?
about Templot Club

Templot Companion - User Guide - A-Z Index Templot Explained for beginners Please click: important information for new members and first-time visitors.
indexing link for search engines

back to top of page

Please read this important note about copyright: Unless stated otherwise, all the files submitted to this web site are copyright and the property of the respective contributor. You are welcome to use them for your own personal non-commercial purposes, and in your messages on this web site. If you want to publish any of this material elsewhere or use it commercially, you must first obtain the owner's permission to do so.
The small print: All material submitted to this web site is the responsibility of the respective contributor. By submitting material to this web site you acknowledge that you accept full responsibility for the material submitted. The owner of this web site is not responsible for any content displayed here other than his own contributions. The owner of this web site may edit, modify or remove any content at any time without giving notice or reason. Problems with this web site? Contact webmaster@templot.com.   This web site uses cookies: click for information.  
© 2020