click here for a list of all existing Templot documentation
Important Privacy Information cookie information pre-print options:    

click image to open Templot Club in a new tab
Templot club top logo
looking for Templot? - (free)

you are not logged in  - Login | Join

receive all messages by email: info

Recent Topics
Front Page  Search  Image Gallery  Gallery Upload  My Account  Members  Open Source  TemplotMEC  Help  
make a donation  
please click: important information for new members and first-time visitors Templot Companion - User Guide
            messages archive on Yahoo
page trail:  Templot Club > Forums > Templot talk > progress report - chairs in the output
Templot web site

progress report - chairs in the output

Start new topic   Reply blank   Printer friendly 
  Rate this topic  
AuthorMessage
 Clicked a link? Wrong message? Wait until the page has finished loading, click in the address bar and then press the Enter key. This is a timing bug in some browsers.
1st message | this message only posted: 16 Jul 2018 19:34
 PM  Reply with quote  Reply blank 
Martin Wynne
West Of The Severn, United Kingdom

view images in gallery
view images as slides

Please do not send requests for help direct to me via email or PM.

Post your questions on the forum where everyone can see them and add helpful replies.
As I mentioned, the reports of folks using 3D printing to create bullhead chairs has spurred me to move chairing in Templot from the NOD* list to the to-do list. :)

I started some experimental work a couple of years ago, and I have now returned to it.

It seemed that if the output was to be of any use in 3D printing, the chair outlines would need to have the proper corner radii. It's a lot of extra calculation with 4 chairs on most crossing timbers, but it hasn't impacted too much on the screen response for full track plans. Obviously you would switch the chairs on only for the final printed templates, they are not needed while track planning.

It's fiendishly complex. For example the REA bridge chairs (L1) have a larger corner radius (1.3/4") than ordinary S1 chairs (which have 1" corner radius): 

And GWR slide chairs have a full semi-circular end on the inside, for example.

Templot does all the positioning and rotating of the chairs, and calculates where bridge chairs are needed to fit the space.

For 3D printing it needs to be in the DXF file. So this is where I've got to:

Just the chair bases so far. The next job is to change the rails to a proper bullhead section. Then add the keys, and the chair jaws. And the chair screws.

There is a lot still to do. I may be gone for some time. :)

Just to be clear, the above wasn't drawn in a CAD program, it is the DXF export from Templot. The CAD program is used simply to view it, and then save it as an STL file for 3D printing. All the dimensions and fits will be entered in Templot. No CAD knowledge will be needed -- at least, that's the plan.

This is in Templot2. When I have got it finished and working I will make the code open-source, but I will probably leave it to others to incorporate it into OpenTemplot.

*Nice One Day

cheers,

Martin.

Clicked a link? Wrong message? Wait until the page has finished loading, click in the address bar and then press the Enter key. This is a timing bug in some browsers.
2nd message | this message only posted: 16 Jul 2018 19:48
Rob Manchester
Manchester

view images in gallery
view images as slides
Hi Martin,

Nice work with the chairing :)

If it isn't too much to ask can you add some code to aggregate all the chairs used on templates in the storage box ( like the timber/sleeper length one which is great ). It would need to be broken down into quantities of S1, L1 types etc. This would make ordering/stock checking a breeze. I am looking at the 'old fashioned' route of using injection moulded chairs and actually glueing them on.......

Rob

3rd message | this message only posted: 16 Jul 2018 22:59
d827kelly
Coventry, United Kingdom

view images in gallery
view images as slides
A great addition to templot!

4th message | this message only posted: 17 Jul 2018 07:12
richard_t
Nr. Spalding, South Holland, United Kingdom

view images in gallery
view images as slides
I've been doing similar, in 2D, using my cad program - I think I'd go slightly crazy doing a full plan, even though the chairs are blocks so they just need putting in the correct place.

Attached is a simple A6 turnout, without the crossing chairs - it's a PDF, as the PNG I generated looked awful.

5th message | this message only posted: 17 Jul 2018 17:31
Andrew Barrowman
USA

view images in gallery
view images as slides
richard_t wrote: I've been doing similar, in 2D, using my cad program - I think I'd go slightly crazy doing a full plan, even though the chairs are blocks so they just need putting in the correct place.

Attached is a simple A6 turnout, without the crossing chairs - it's a PDF, as the PNG I generated looked awful.

Hi Richard,

Did you draw it all in CAD or did you import a DXF from Templot?

Andy

6th message | this message only posted: 17 Jul 2018 17:38
richard_t
Nr. Spalding, South Holland, United Kingdom

view images in gallery
view images as slides
Everything bar the chair outlines is from Templot. I'm not that loopy (yet) :-)

7th message | this message only posted: 18 Jul 2018 04:35
Andrew Barrowman
USA

view images in gallery
view images as slides
richard_t wrote: Everything bar the chair outlines is from Templot. I'm not that loopy (yet) :-)Correct answer! You get ten points (points, not turnouts :) )

8th message | this message only posted: 30 Jul 2018 16:14
Martin Wynne

view images in gallery
view images as slides

Post your questions on the forum where everyone can see them and add helpful replies.
Rob Manchester wrote: Nice work with the chairing :)

If it isn't too much to ask can you add some code to aggregate all the chairs used on templates in the storage box ( like the timber/sleeper length one which is great ). It would need to be broken down into quantities of S1, L1 types etc. This would make ordering/stock checking a breeze.
Thanks Rob.

Yes, that's on my list. Also splitting the timbering into separate counts for sleepers and turnout timbers.

I'm making some progress, as discussed on the 3D printing topic. Chairing works for equalized timbers or square-on, and the chairs remain on the rails when timbers are shoved*:

For 3D printing, the chairs go into the exported DXF files:

As you can see, there is a long way still to go. The chair jaws and keys to add, and then all the special switch and crossing chairs.

Of course this level of detail won't survive 3D printing in 4mm scale, but it might in 7mm, and should do in the larger scales. The screw heads are all at random angles.

The bright colours in the screenshots are simply to make the details more visible.

*not when crabbed.

cheers,

Martin.

9th message | this message only posted: 30 Jul 2018 16:34
Rob Manchester
Manchester

view images in gallery
view images as slides
Martin Wynne wrote:

I'm making some progress, as discussed on the 3D printing topic. Chairing works for equalized timbers or square-on, and the chairs remain on the rails when timbers are shoved:

cheers,

Martin.
Hi Martin,

Thanks.

Yes you are making great progress, interesting to watch the the development of this even if much is way over my head :(

Rob

PS...Ha Ha, Surely you need to take the chair screws out of the chairs before you can shove the timbers otherwise the rail will get slewed over? :D

10th message | this message only posted: 30 Jul 2018 17:01
Martin Wynne

view images in gallery
view images as slides

Thanks Rob.

The 3D printing stuff is going over my head too. I'm still writing DXF code the same way I did in the 1980s. :)

That's why I started this separate topic to cover the track design aspects.

Here is something that will be possible. If you omit a timber when shoving, its chairs go too, as you can see. However, if instead you set its length to zero, making it invisible, its chairs remain unsupported on the rails. Adjacent long timbers can then be extended under them:

With the timbers invisible, shoving them along will be a way to slide the chairs along the rails to any desired position.

UPDATE:

We now have the keys, and outer jaws on the S1 chairs. Gold-plated: :)

Notice the random key positions (and screw heads).

There should be a corner radius around the top of the jaw, but I think I'm going to draw a line at this. I've used as much of the REA drawing as seems reasonable. I'm hoping that the 3D printer will smooth out some of the sharp angles:

Now for the inner jaws, L1 chairs, slide chairs, slab & brackets ...

Don't hold your breath.

cheers,

Martin.

This is topic ID = 3307     Page created at 21:25 (local time)  
You can type a quick reply to this topic here.

Click in the box to begin.

But to reply to an individual message, or to include images, attachments and formatted text, use the reply buttons on each message above.

To start a new topic in this forum, click the Start new topic button below.
To start a new topic in a different forum, click the Forum Jump drop-down list below.

Start new topic 

click to jump to a different forum:     Back to top of page

Templot Club > Forums > Templot talk > progress report - chairs in the output
about Templot Club

list recently active topics Templot Companion - User Guide - A-Z Index Templot Explained for beginners Please click: important information for new members and first-time visitors.
indexing link for search engines

back to top of page

Please read this important note about copyright: Unless stated otherwise, all the files submitted to this web site are copyright and the property of the respective contributor. You are welcome to use them for your own personal non-commercial purposes, and in your messages on this web site. If you want to publish any of this material elsewhere or use it commercially, you must first obtain the owner's permission to do so.

The small print: All material submitted to this web site is the responsibility of the respective contributor. By submitting material to this web site you acknowledge that you accept full responsibility for the material submitted. The owner of this web site is not responsible for any content displayed here other than his own contributions. The owner of this web site may edit, modify or remove any content at any time without giving notice or reason.
Problems with this web site? Contact webmaster@templot.com.   This web site uses cookies: click for information.  
© 2018