topic: 331Google Analyser - web site statistics
author remove search highlighting

posted: 9 Feb 2008 18:41

Brian Lewis

United Kingdom

click the date to link to this post
click member name to view archived images
view images in gallery view images as slides
This is essentially for Martin, but I thought other folk who had their own web sites might be interested.

When we revamped our web site on 28th Jan, we hooked into Google Analytics. This provides a wealth of information regarding visitors to your site. What I have yet to decide is what use I can make of most of it.....

In the period 28th Jan - 7th Feb, we had 1371 visits.

Visitors scanned 6887 pages - an average of 5.02 pages per visitor.

70.53% were first time visitors.

They spent an average of 4 minutes 36 seconds on the site. I am happy with this - it is far longer than I spend on most sites.

Direct traffic was 45.73%

Traffic via Search engines was 30.63% - 26.40% was Google. As would be expected the main keyword was 'c&l finescale'.

Traffic via referring sites was 23.63% 4.23% from S4 site. 3.79% from the GOG site and only 2.33% from UKmodelshops. The latter is disappointing, suggesting it is not used as fully as one would have thought.

72.06% used IE
22.83% used Firefox
2.92% used Safari
1.24% used Opera
0.51% used Netscape.

Origins. Overwhelmingly from the UK. Then in diminishing order as follows: USA.  Australia.  France.  Netherlands.  New Zealand.  Canada.  Germany.  Norway.  Ireland. (This is very much in line with our own sales figures).

Quite interesting. Clearly it is not in the league of some sites with half a million hits a day. But for a model railway site it probably is not too bad.

Regards

Brian Lewis

Carrs - C+L Finescale.

http://www.finescale.org.uk

posted: 9 Feb 2008 18:51

Martin Wynne

West Of The Severn - United Kingdom

Brian Lewis wrote:
This is essentially for Martin, but I thought other folk who had their own web sites might be interested.
Hi Brian,

Many thanks for that.

But really, you shouldn't need Google for that. I get all that, and more, from my hosting company. You probably do too, if you log into your control panel and select "Visitor Statistics". You can also access the daily server logs showing every single hit in detail, but you'd need half a lifetime to analyse it all. :)

If it's of interest I will post some of the Templot web site stats later.

regards,

Martin.

posted: 9 Feb 2008 20:17

Paul Boyd

Loughborough - United Kingdom

Hi Brian

Some of the amount of time people spend on sites that use Google Analytics is because we're waiting for the page to finish loading, with the "Waiting for google-analytics.com..." status bar telling the world why we're waiting.  I find this annoying "feature" with more and more sites lately, suggesting that google's servers can't actually cope with the demand.

As Martin says, your hosting provider should be able to provide all of this information.  I no longer have the feature because I changed provider (nor do I really need it, which is why I wasn't bothered!) but your stats on browser usage pretty much reflected mine.  People whose websites don't work properly with anything other than Internet Explorer really are losing a huge chunk of their audience.

UKModelShops?  I only ever visit that site to see the hosted traders pages.  I couldn't actually find C&L on there, or more specifically I couldn't find it after a couple of minutes trying to find my way around the site.  The 'Suppliers A-Z' isn't, and you don't seem to show in either Avon or Somerset.  North Somerset doesn't exist at all, apparently!

Incidentally, I just visited the webstats page for my empty Plusnet webspace.  It's still being hit by crawlers and spiders,  They won't find anything there :)

posted: 9 Feb 2008 22:16

Martin Wynne

I wrote:
If it's of interest I will post some of the Templot web site stats later.
Not sure if it is of interest, but here's some summary info for January -- total transfer 11.4GB.

Peak usage is always in the late evening (UK) as you might expect, but there is always a blip about 5pm. No idea why.

Of the referring links, top of the list every month other than search engines is aways Steve Jones page at: http://www.electricnose.co.uk/layout/layout.html

Closely followed by a model engineering site rather than model railways:  http://www.modeleng.org/suppliers/supply_a.htm Odd that -- presumably because we are top of the list. :?

There are reams and reams of this stuff, so I won't attempt to post the full daily breakdowns. I've no idea how this compares with similar sites. :) Anyone care to comment?

vis_stats1.pngvis_stats1.png

vis_stats2.pngvis_stats2.png

vis_stats3.pngvis_stats3.png

vis_stats4.pngvis_stats4.png

regards,

Martin.

posted: 10 Feb 2008 01:55

John Lewis

Croydon - United Kingdom

Martin Wynne wrote:
Peak usage is always in the late evening (UK) as you might expect, but there is always a blip about 5pm. No idea why.

People looking at the site before leaving their offices?

John

posted: 10 Feb 2008 02:36

Martin Wynne

Brian Lewis wrote:
This provides a wealth of information regarding visitors to your site. What I have yet to decide is what use I can make of most of it.....

Hi Brian,

Probably not as much use as you might think. Before relying too much on the numbers, here's a basic guide to how they are compiled: http://www.mrunix.net/webalizer/simpleton.html

regards,

Martin.

posted: 10 Feb 2008 03:36

BeamEnds

Our peak is 3.00 am - from the Sates (Land Rover's smallest market)! We also, interestingly, get hits from Arpanet - I assumed that was dead an buried! Non-serach engine hit's are almost always very quick - people just scanning though prices I expect (because that's what I do).

It's worth having a look at your Alexa rank too - it gives historical data right back to when your site started and compares your sites performance against general trends. 

Cheers
Richard

posted: 11 Feb 2008 18:21

Russ E

For the CLAG site (clag.org.uk), here are the top 50 browser types based on about 220k page views in 2007:

1 Internet Explorer 6.0    31.96%

2 Internet Explorer 7.0    25.24%

3 Yahoo Robot   17.01%

4 Firefox 2.0    9.18%

5 MSN Robot     5.68%

6 Safari    1.51%

7 Firefox 1.5    1.47%

8 Google Robot     1.38%

9 Netscape    1.20%

10 Mozilla 5    1.15%

11 Ask Jeeves Robot     0.96%

12 Internet Explorer 5.0    0.61%

13 Firefox 1.0    0.42%

14 Opera 9.2    0.37%

15 Internet Explorer 4.0    0.34%

16 Internet Explorer 5.5    0.29%

17 Opera 9.0    0.13%

18 Alexa Robot      0.12%

19 Konqueror 3.0    0.09%

20 Opera 9.1    0.08%

21 Konqueror 3.1    0.08%

22 Konqueror 3.5    0.08%

23 Netscape 7.2    0.08%

24 Internet Explorer 5.2    0.06%

25 Netscape 8.1    0.06%

26 Netscape 7.0    0.06%

27 Camino    0.05%

28 Internet Explorer 5.1    0.04%

29 Netscape 7.1    0.04%

30 Opera 8.5    0.03%

31 Opera 8.0     0.03%

32 Internet Explorer 3.0    0.03%

33 SeaMonkey 1.0    0.02%

34 SeaMonkey 1.1    0.02%

35 Firefox 0.9    0.01%

36 HTTrack    0.01%

37 Firefox 0.10    0.01%

38 Netscape 8.0    0.01%

39 Wget    0.01%

40 Java 1.5    0.01%

41 Opera 7.0    0.01%

42 Firefox 0.8    0.01%

43 Java 1.4    0.01%

44 Konqueror 3.4    0.01%

45 Nokia WAP Mobile    0.01%

46 Opera 7.5    0.01%

47 Mozilla    0.00%

48 Lynx    0.00%

49 Opera 7.2    0.00%

50 Firebird 0.7    0.00%

(stats provided by our ISP - which actually gives figures for the top 100 browsers, but as you can see, from 47th onwards the figures became insignificant in two decimal places)

regards

Russ Elliott
Last edited on 11 Feb 2008 18:33 by Russ E

Templot Club > Forums > Off track > Google Analyser - web site statistics
about Templot Club

Templot Companion - User Guide - A-Z Index Templot Explained for beginners Please click: important information for new members and first-time visitors.
indexing link for search engines

back to top of page

Please read this important note about copyright: Unless stated otherwise, all the files submitted to this web site are copyright and the property of the respective contributor. You are welcome to use them for your own personal non-commercial purposes, and in your messages on this web site. If you want to publish any of this material elsewhere or use it commercially, you must first obtain the owner's permission to do so.
The small print: All material submitted to this web site is the responsibility of the respective contributor. By submitting material to this web site you acknowledge that you accept full responsibility for the material submitted. The owner of this web site is not responsible for any content displayed here other than his own contributions. The owner of this web site may edit, modify or remove any content at any time without giving notice or reason. Problems with this web site? Contact webmaster@templot.com.   This web site uses cookies: click for information.  
© 2020