author remove search highlighting

posted: 26 Jul 2018 13:28

Jim Guthrie

United Kingdom

click the date to link to this post
click member name to view archived images
view images in gallery view images as slides
Martin,

I've started getting occasional Access Violation messages on the current version.  The message is

"Access Violation Address 00452734 in modle 'templot_2.exe'    Read of address 00000004"

It seems to happen when saving templates or quitting.  When saving templates the error comes up but the file is saved.  It also comes up when trying to exit Templot and the application won't quit and I have to use Task Manager to end it.   It doesn't happen all the time - only on occasion.

Running Win 10 64 bit with all the latest updates.

It's not a major problem since I don't seem to lose anything and having to quit occasionally via Task manager is the only slight hassle.

Jim.

posted: 27 Jul 2018 07:53

Martin Wynne

West Of The Severn - United Kingdom

Jim Guthrie wrote:
I've started getting occasional Access Violation messages on the current version.  The message is

"Access Violation Address 00452734 in modle 'templot_2.exe'    Read of address 00000004"
Hi Jim

Can you define "occasional"?

Every time? most times? now and then? once in a blue moon?

It's very difficult to locate problems unless I can make them happen here, which at present I can't. And even more difficult if they occur only intermittently. Anyone else seeing this?

That address in the code is checking which of your monitors the Templot windows are currently on. Does that ring any bells?

Are you using multiple monitors, or have you been doing so and now not? If you are, do you have some of Templot on one monitor and some on the other? Or windows split across them? Does it still happen if you move all of Templot to the main monitor? Does it still happen if you have only one monitor (maybe after doing a Windows restart after switching other monitors off)?

Have you had any problems with other programs using multiple monitors?

I know it sounds like a cop-out, but all I can suggest is doing a Windows restart and then downloading a fresh copy of Templot and re-installing it:

http://templot.com/companion/installation.php

cheers,

Martin.

posted: 27 Jul 2018 08:37

Jim Guthrie

United Kingdom

Martin Wynne wrote:

That address in the code is checking which of your monitors the Templot windows are currently on. Does that ring any bells?

Are you using multiple monitors, or have you been doing so and now not? If you are, do you have some of Templot on one monitor and some on the other? Or windows split across them? Does it still happen if you move all of Templot to the main monitor? Does it still happen if you have only one monitor (maybe after doing a Windows restart after switching other monitors off)?

I do have twin monitors driven by an AMD Catalyst card but the second monitor is not used normally and the second output is normally routed to the TV for viewing material off the Internet.  However,  I have been using the second monitor recently with Templot to view pictures, etc., while designing a layout.   So that is probably the cause.

It's not a cataclysmic fault since I don't lose any information - i.e. files are saved and if I have to quit the program using task manager,  when re-started,  it will restore the previous templates as they were.

I think I can live with it. :)

Jim.

posted: 25 Jan 2019 19:05

David Burton

Crewe - United Kingdom

Hi,

I have had the same problem today and I also had a second screen working for Excel calculations. I panicked when I thought I would not be able to save my work but, having looked at the forum and prompted by Jim's comments, I shut down Templot using Task Manager, restarted it and said yes to restoring previous session, and it all re-appeared - phew. I had turned the second screen off mind. I'm using v2.19b and Windows 10.

posted: 26 Jan 2019 08:24

Jim Guthrie

United Kingdom

Funnily enough, it happened to me again just a day or two ago when it wouldn't close down and threw up the Windows error message. As before, I used Task Manager to shut it down. I think it seems to happen if I have left Templot open and set the computer to hibernate overnight - this can be for a day or two and in that time the second screen could have been switched on or off. (My grandson visits and likes to play his FIFA game and chooses to switch the second screen off to get the sound onto the headphone output. He could do it by using the sound utility on the Taskbar but he chooses to switch the second screen off. We have several discussions about this. :) )

Jim.
Last edited on 26 Jan 2019 08:25 by Jim Guthrie
posted: 28 Jan 2019 11:48

David Burton

Crewe - United Kingdom

Hi Jim

It has now happened to me again in similar circumstance to you. I had hibernated my computer overnight, started it this morning but needed to use my second screen for another programme. I never thought about the fact that Templot was running. Later, having completed the use of the second screen, I turned it off and only later returned to Templot. When I tried to open the information panel on a saved template I got the error message. Fortunately, after shutting down with task manager, everything was still there when the previous session was reloaded.

On a previous occasions, when I opened Templot whilst the second screen was on, I was asked if Templot should be configured to use the main or second screen. I have only ever selected main screen. Later today I will see what happens if I select the second screen.

David

posted: 29 Jan 2019 10:51

David Burton

Crewe - United Kingdom

The options are actually using the main screen or both screens. Chosing the second option loads Templot across both screens i.e. it splits the templot screen in half with the left hand side on the left hand screen and the right hand on the right hand screen. However, in my case, my laptop is the right hand screen and is smaller. This results in the top of the Templot screen being cut off and, also, the zoom/pan box is missing.

David

posted: 8 Aug 2019 19:42

Simon Dunkley

Oakham - United Kingdom

Have just migrated to a surplus Windows laptop, and whilst deleting some shapes from a file, I got the following message:
112_081442_240000000.png112_081442_240000000.png

No idea why. ;)
Attachment: attach_2873_3311_Error_message.png     153

posted: 8 Aug 2019 20:26

Martin Wynne

Simon Dunkley wrote:
Have just migrated to a surplus Windows laptop, and whilst deleting some shapes from a file, I got the following message
Hi Simon,

Thanks for reporting it.

Was that while deleting a picture shape? How big was the SK81 file size for the image?

That part of the code is concerned with releasing the memory allocated for a picture shape image. I've just been looking at the code. I can't see anything obviously wrong, and that code hasn't changed for years.

Is it repeatable? Can you make it happen again? Did Templot run normally afterwards?

Which version of Windows on the laptop? How much memory does it have? What else was running at the same time? Was it all working normally?

cheers,

Martin.

posted: 12 Aug 2019 22:15

Simon Dunkley

Oakham - United Kingdom

Yes, it has happened again: same error message.
Windows 8.1.
8 GB RAM.

It was nothing more than a simple line in the file: there are no images in this background file, but it occurred at exactly the same point - ironically, the last line I wished to remove from the file!

I cannot find an SK81 file with the same name.

Other than Nord VPN and Avast! anti-virus software, I was not consciously running anything else. As far as I can tell, Windows was running normally.
/rant=on
I usually only use Windows at work, but my 12+ year old iMac running wine is 40 miles away so I decided to bite the bullet and use this laptop, which is not very old (about 2 years). So far this evening, it has finished off installing the update it downloaded whilst I was away at the weekend, lost the taskbar at the bottom, had this memory problem again and so far I could have driven 40 miles, collected the iMac and be halfway back here. Whilst it is obsolete enough not to be ugradeable, and it can take some time to wind up the spring to get it started, once it is going, I don't have any of this hassle.
Why do people put up with such rubbish?
/rant=off

posted: 12 Aug 2019 22:24

Martin Wynne

Hi Simon,

See also this today:

topic 3481

Are you sure there were no picture shapes in the file? Because that changes where I've been looking.

(an SK81 file is a picture shape image file, in PNG format).

p.s. Why are you running Windows8.1 on a laptop only 2 years old? I think you might find upgrading to Windows10 would solve some of those issues. It's the best version of Windows since Windows7.

cheers,

Martin.

posted: 12 Aug 2019 22:28

Simon Dunkley

Oakham - United Kingdom

There are two boxes. The rest are straight lines.

Edit: file added.
Attachment: attach_2878_3311_3_joins.bgs     130
Last edited on 12 Aug 2019 22:29 by Simon Dunkley
posted: 12 Aug 2019 22:47

Martin Wynne

Hi Simon,

Thanks for the file. Loaded here and shapes deleted without any problems. :?

What I have noticed only today is that 223b is not displaying the name of the selected shape in the edit box. So something has obviously changed there, which I need to investigate.

cheers,

Martin.

posted: 19 Aug 2019 03:11

Martin Wynne

Hi Simon,

This is now fixed in Templot version 223c, now available.

See: topic 3481 - message 27596

Thanks again for reporting it.

cheers,

Martin.

Templot Club > Forums > I found a flaw > Windows Error message
about Templot Club

Templot Companion - User Guide - A-Z Index Templot Explained for beginners Please click: important information for new members and first-time visitors.
indexing link for search engines

back to top of page

Please read this important note about copyright: Unless stated otherwise, all the files submitted to this web site are copyright and the property of the respective contributor. You are welcome to use them for your own personal non-commercial purposes, and in your messages on this web site. If you want to publish any of this material elsewhere or use it commercially, you must first obtain the owner's permission to do so.
The small print: All material submitted to this web site is the responsibility of the respective contributor. By submitting material to this web site you acknowledge that you accept full responsibility for the material submitted. The owner of this web site is not responsible for any content displayed here other than his own contributions. The owner of this web site may edit, modify or remove any content at any time without giving notice or reason. Problems with this web site? Contact webmaster@templot.com.   This web site uses cookies: click for information.  
© 2020