Templot Club Archive 2007-2020                             

topic: 3322Slip lever arrangements
author remove search highlighting

posted: 29 Aug 2018 12:33

madscientist

click the date to link to this post
click member name to view archived images
view images in gallery view images as slides
I had always assumed that double slips were controlled by two levers in the frame, and that when both levers were " normal " the slip acted like a conventional diamond , ( in both directions ) and then when each respective lever was pulled off , each " slip" was activated 
But PECO O gauge double slips  are such that at no time can the slip operate as a simple diamond, because only one road is available on the diamond 

was this the case in the prototype ?

Dave 

posted: 29 Aug 2018 13:27

Ian Allen

Milton Keynes - United Kingdom

Dave,

Double slips are indeed controlled by two levers, however, all the switch blades at one end are controlled together, and the same is true of the other end. Therefore, a double slip can never act as a diamond when the levers are normal in the frame, as one pair of blades at each end will always direct a train through one of the slips.
.9k=9k=

Ian
Last edited on 29 Aug 2018 13:29 by Ian Allen
posted: 29 Aug 2018 13:56

Martin Wynne

West Of The Severn - United Kingdom

madscientist wrote:
was this the case in the prototype?
Hi Dave,

The usual arrangement with a double-slip when rodded to a signal box is that both sets of points at one end of the slip are linked together, and also linked to the turnout at the opposite end, so that all 3 sets of points work together on a single lever, like this:

2_290837_090000000.png2_290837_090000000.png

Pulling lever A reverses all 3 points marked A, setting the lower slip road for use.

Pulling lever B reverses all 3 points marked B, setting the upper slip road for use.

Pulling both levers A and B sets the diagonal road across the slip.

With both levers normal, all the straight main roads are set.

On a model, lever A can also be used to change the polarity of the V-crossing vA, and lever B can be used to change the polarity of the V-crossing vB.

I don't know how the Peco double-slip is set up, but If I had one I would want to modify it to match the above.

However you set things up, obviously only one road through a slip can be used at any given time, so I'm not too clear why you find that a problem?

There is more detailed discussion of this subject in this topic:

topic 1172

cheers,

Martin.

posted: 29 Aug 2018 15:04

madscientist

However you set things up, obviously only one road through a slip can be used at any given time, so I'm not too clear why you find that a problem?

cause I actually wanted to use it only as a single slip , but now Im going to replace the whole thing with a marcway single slip

posted: 29 Aug 2018 15:14

Martin Wynne

madscientist wrote:
cause I actually wanted to use it only as a single slip , but now Im going to replace the whole thing with a marcway single slip
Hi Dave,

A single-slip is exactly the same, only one road through it is capable of being used at any one time.

I don't understand how a Marcway slip will be any different?

cheers,

Martin.

posted: 29 Aug 2018 19:02

madscientist

Martin Wynne wrote:
madscientist wrote:
Hi Dave,

A single-slip is exactly the same, only one road through it is capable of being used at any one time.

I don't understand how a Marcway slip will be any different?

cheers,

Martin.
I didn’t mean it would merely that I was replacing them 

posted: 29 Aug 2018 19:15

madscientist

Martin you might have a look at the two single slip arrangement here and suggest the lever frame sequence 
attachment.php?id=2726attachment.php?id=2726
Regards 
Dave 
Attachment: attach_2726_3322_rmwebsignallingdiagram.pdf     622
Last edited on 29 Aug 2018 19:18 by madscientist
posted: 29 Aug 2018 23:17

Martin Wynne

madscientist wrote:
Martin you might have a look at the two single slip arrangement here and suggest the lever frame sequence
Hi Dave,

You have the diagram unusually arranged with the inner slip switches lying normal across the diamond:

2_291800_040000000.png2_291800_040000000.png

It is more usually arranged like this:

2_291801_020000000.png2_291801_020000000.png

Pulling lever 3 provides a crossover between the Up and Down Mains.

Then also pulling lever 2 connects the Up Main to the Down Loop instead of the Down Main.

Or also pulling lever 1 connects the Down Main to Up Loop instead of the Up Main.

Pulling levers 1 and 2 instead of 3 provides a crossover between the two Loop lines.

Here's a more conventional view:

2_300731_570000000.png2_300731_570000000.png

Slip switches 1 and 2 lie normal for the slip road, so that pulling only 3 provides a main line crossover.

However, I see from your RMweb topic that you are modelling GWR practice, in which case things may be done differently. We need a reply from Howard (JFS) who is the signalling expert in these parts. :)

It's important that the levers are arranged in the frame so that it is never necessary to pull a lever between two which are already pulled.

cheers,

Martin.

posted: 30 Aug 2018 18:08

madscientist

thanks

posted: 14 Sep 2018 08:55

madscientist

I managed to track down a numbered signal diagram of the station , badminton, that we based the current layout on , so I now have a lever numbering guide, I still have to work out the text for the leads as that wasn’t included

What was interesting is the levers are grouped in the frame by road direction rather then physical location grouping ( which I thought was more common )

Interesting

posted: 14 Sep 2018 10:07

Jim Guthrie

United Kingdom

madscientist wrote:

What was interesting is the levers are grouped in the frame by road direction rather then physical location grouping ( which I thought was more common )

I remember a friend who worked for BR in Scotland telling me that levers were normally arranged so that the order of working a set of levers for a movement was in one direction.  The direction of working levers could be from the end of the frame to the centre or the centre to the end.  I believe different rail companies had their preferred way of doing things in laying out a frame.

Jim.

Templot Club > Forums > Templot talk > Slip lever arrangements
about Templot Club

Templot Companion - User Guide - A-Z Index Templot Explained for beginners Please click: important information for new members and first-time visitors.
indexing link for search engines

back to top of page

Please read this important note about copyright: Unless stated otherwise, all the files submitted to this web site are copyright and the property of the respective contributor. You are welcome to use them for your own personal non-commercial purposes, and in your messages on this web site. If you want to publish any of this material elsewhere or use it commercially, you must first obtain the owner's permission to do so.
The small print: All material submitted to this web site is the responsibility of the respective contributor. By submitting material to this web site you acknowledge that you accept full responsibility for the material submitted. The owner of this web site is not responsible for any content displayed here other than his own contributions. The owner of this web site may edit, modify or remove any content at any time without giving notice or reason. Problems with this web site? Contact webmaster@templot.com.   This web site uses cookies: click for information.  
© 2020