Templot Club Archive 2007-2020                             

topic: 3341Shuffling timbers under pointwork
author remove search highlighting

posted: 13 Oct 2018 22:29

William Williamson

click the date to link to this post
click member name to view archived images
view images in gallery view images as slides
I've got three points in quite close arrangement, but I can't seem to find a way to shuffle the timbers around so it 'works' - any ideas?

2_011807_500000000.png2_011807_500000000.png

posted: 13 Oct 2018 22:55

Martin Wynne

West Of The Severn - United Kingdom

Hi William,

Omit the last 2 timbers on the upper turnout and extend long timbers across to replace them. Repeat for the other turnout. Always extend the timbers from the turnout which have the vee nose on them in each case, so that they remain in the correct position under the crossing chairs on that turnout:

2_131747_150000000.png2_131747_150000000.png

p.s. To lengthen timbers on the main-side (numbered side), hold down the SHIFT key when clicking the button or pressing L.

You can use the roll rails mouse action (CTRL+F4) to roll the plain track sleepers for a better fit between the long timbers. You can also twist them a fraction if needed.

For your bottom-left turnout, the best solution would be to snake it (CTRL+F6) a little to the right until the timbers fit between each other. Twisting the timbers on the turnout above it might help a bit too. But don't twist the switch timbers.

cheers,

Martin.

posted: 13 Oct 2018 23:41

William Williamson

Thanks very much martin - which button am I clicking whilst holding shift?

posted: 14 Oct 2018 00:13

Martin Wynne

William Williamson wrote:
Thanks very much martin - which button am I clicking whilst holding shift?
Hi William,

These:

2_131912_050000000.png2_131912_050000000.png

Without SHIFT they operate on the turnout-side end of the timber.

cheers,

Martin.

posted: 14 Oct 2018 22:05

William Williamson

Thanks again Martyn, working lovely. The only thing I'm not sure about now, is when I have complicated pointwork how I should handle it? For example, I'm somewhat working backwards in the below from where the Vee's are, and some of the timbers seem... impractically large.

http://i.imgur.com/2kd33PD.png

posted: 14 Oct 2018 22:29

William Williamson

I actually think I've done most of the work, does this make sense though?

I've tried to keep the lengths as small as possible where feasible, but there are just quite a few arrangements where timbers appear to need to span the whole formation width. Is this roughly correct?

http://i.imgur.com/Hpw3yLE.png

and

http://i.imgur.com/GMHoqhv.png
Last edited on 14 Oct 2018 22:30 by William Williamson
posted: 14 Oct 2018 23:03

Martin Wynne

William Williamson wrote:
I actually think I've done most of the work, does this make sense though?

I've tried to keep the lengths as small as possible where feasible, but there are just quite a few arrangements where timbers appear to need to span the whole formation width. Is this roughly correct?

http://i.imgur.com/Hpw3yLE.png

and

http://i.imgur.com/GMHoqhv.png
Hi Williiam,

Those look good. There isn't really a "correct" answer. There is only the practice of individual design offices and even individual p.w. designers.

Long timbers are expensive and difficult to handle. No railway company is going to go to the expense of long timbers without good reason. For example there is no reason to strengthen a siding by running long timbers across under it. But running lines are different. A complex junction with heavy traffic needs to be as strong as possible to minimise maintenance. Generally long timbers can be specified from stock up to 30ft long. Beyond that in one piece gets very expensive as a special order from the timber yard. Sometimes long timbers can be created on-site by halving and splicing shorter ones end to end.

The rule which can't be broken is that the special switch and crossing chairs fit the rails in fixed positions, so there must be some timber under the rails in those positions.

And for robust track the timbers need to be as square-on to the running rails as possible.

Where there are rail joints they need to be as close together as possible within the limits of fitting a fishplate between the chairs. That usually means 24" or 25" centres under rail joints.

But ideally they mustn't be too close together side-by-side or end-to-end, so that the gang can dig out under them if they need packing or tamping, or replacement.

If you search back through the forum you will find a lot of previous discussion about all this. I summarised some of it here:

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/127840-peco-bullhead-points-in-the-flesh/page-22#entry2942656

cheers,

Martin.

posted: 15 Oct 2018 14:26

Phil O

Plymouth - United Kingdom

On last week's episode of Paddington 24/7 the track gang had too replace a spliced turnout timber, in a couple of hours of possession.

Phil.

posted: 15 Oct 2018 14:35

Martin Wynne

Phil O wrote:
On last week's episode of Paddington 24/7 the track gang had too replace a spliced turnout timber, in a couple of hours of possession.
Thanks Phil.

Here's a link:

http://www.my5.tv/paddington-station-247/season-3/episode-14

Martin.

posted: 15 Oct 2018 19:29

Rob Manchester

Manchester - United Kingdom

Reminds me why I prefer to watch my documentaries on the BBC :D

I wonder how the world used to function without mobile phones, CCTV cameras and the like. Cutting back the infrastructure to the minimum isn't always the best option - a few crossovers or freight loops increases the track capacity and provides redundancy when incidents occur.

Why no hybrid trains on this busy route ?

Rant over :)

Rob

posted: 15 Oct 2018 22:19

Trevor Walling

United Kingdom

Hello,
       A really eye opening view of how complicated running railways has become. I like the clear showing of how multicultural Britain has become. Things in the Victorian times were not much different if the truth is known those that can do the stuff required do it all as part of the job. Prejudice did not get a look in.
Then again railways where for the privileged in those days anyway. On my high horse probably? :roll:
Regards.:)

Templot Club > Forums > Baffled beginners > Shuffling timbers under pointwork
about Templot Club

Templot Companion - User Guide - A-Z Index Templot Explained for beginners Please click: important information for new members and first-time visitors.
indexing link for search engines

back to top of page

Please read this important note about copyright: Unless stated otherwise, all the files submitted to this web site are copyright and the property of the respective contributor. You are welcome to use them for your own personal non-commercial purposes, and in your messages on this web site. If you want to publish any of this material elsewhere or use it commercially, you must first obtain the owner's permission to do so.
The small print: All material submitted to this web site is the responsibility of the respective contributor. By submitting material to this web site you acknowledge that you accept full responsibility for the material submitted. The owner of this web site is not responsible for any content displayed here other than his own contributions. The owner of this web site may edit, modify or remove any content at any time without giving notice or reason. Problems with this web site? Contact webmaster@templot.com.   This web site uses cookies: click for information.  
© 2020