click here for a list of all existing Templot documentation
Important Privacy Information cookie information pre-print options:    

click image to open Templot Club in a new tab
Templot club top logo
looking for Templot? - (free)

you are not logged in  - Login | Join

receive all messages by email: info

Recent Topics
Front Page  Search  Image Gallery  Gallery Upload  My Account  Members  Open Source  TemplotMEC  Help  
make a donation  
please click: important information for new members and first-time visitors Templot Companion - User Guide
            messages archive on Yahoo
page trail:  Templot Club > Forums > Share and show > A new trolley
Templot web site

A new trolley
  Page:  First Page Previous Page  1  2       
 Start new topic   Reply blank   Printer friendly 
  Rate this topic  
AuthorMessage
 Clicked a link? Wrong message? Wait until the page has finished loading, click in the address bar and then press the Enter key. This is a timing bug in some browsers.
41st message | this message only posted: 12 Nov 2018 01:29
 PM  Reply with quote  Reply blank 
Martin Wynne
West Of The Severn, United Kingdom

view images in gallery
view images as slides

Please do not send requests for help direct to me via email or PM.

Post your questions on the forum where everyone can see them and add helpful replies.
Andrew Barrowman wrote: I won't be posting any pics of my workspace. No siree! Nor me. :)

Martin.

Clicked a link? Wrong message? Wait until the page has finished loading, click in the address bar and then press the Enter key. This is a timing bug in some browsers.
42nd message | this message only posted: 12 Nov 2018 12:10
Nigel Brown

view images in gallery
view images as slides
About 4 years ago there was a massive reorganisation, of what had been a bedroom used as a storeroom and model railway workshop, into a dedicated railway room, with both the layout and the workshop. To get a rare glimpse of a tidy space I took a few pics. Here's a couple before the layout itself was installed:

And here's one slightly later with the layout as it was installed:

It is of course nothing like that now!

Nigel

43rd message | this message only posted: 12 Nov 2018 12:22
Andrew Duncan
Reigate, United Kingdom

view images in gallery
view images as slides
That's very impressive indeed Nigel.

Lets see what its really like now, not so much to gloat , as make myself (and possibly others?) feel better...?

Andrew

44th message | this message only posted: 12 Nov 2018 13:17
richard_t
Nr. Spalding, South Holland, United Kingdom

view images in gallery
view images as slides
Rob Manchester wrote: Hello Andrew,

Very tidy, well done. Where did you get the 6-drawer unit next to the trolley ? I have a very similar one, minus the castors, that came from Ikea a few years back and is very good for rolling stock storage after I lined the drawer bottoms with some soft material. Last time I looked Ikea didn't seem to list them anymore.

Rob

It looks like it's this:

https://www.ikea.com/gb/en/products/storage-furniture/drawer-units-storage-cabinets/alex-drawer-unit-on-castors-white-art-40196241/

45th message | this message only posted: 12 Nov 2018 18:23
Andrew Duncan
Reigate, United Kingdom

view images in gallery
view images as slides
richard_t wrote: Rob Manchester wrote: Hello Andrew,

Very tidy, well done. Where did you get the 6-drawer unit next to the trolley ? I have a very similar one, minus the castors, that came from Ikea a few years back and is very good for rolling stock storage after I lined the drawer bottoms with some soft material. Last time I looked Ikea didn't seem to list them anymore.

Rob

It looks like it's this:

https://www.ikea.com/gb/en/products/storage-furniture/drawer-units-storage-cabinets/alex-drawer-unit-on-castors-white-art-40196241/
Thanks for the link Richard, 

Hello Rob

I could well imagine that it would be ideal for stock storage with its shallow drawers. And it’s  pretty good for tools, electrics and track building stuff all of which gets stored in it at the moment. 

I bought mine a year or so ago and its really useful having the castors, as it makes so easy to pull towards me even when sitting down, rather like my new trolley! It’s one downside is that the drawer runners dont allow the drawers to fully open which  can be a frustration. In fact the runners engage in slots in the sides of the drawers and I’ve left them otherwise unscrewed so that if I do need to get to the very back of a draw I can yank it out a bit further. I suppose I could put longer draw runners on it to improve matters...?

When I get bored one day perhaps?

Andrew

46th message | this message only posted: 12 Nov 2018 20:12
Rob Manchester
Manchester

view images in gallery
view images as slides
Richard,

Yes, thanks. That is it. Mine is black which maybe why I didn't spot it on Ikea as that doesn't seem to be a current colour. Mine was a lot cheaper than that but I have had it probably 7 or 8 years.

Andrew,
I made sure to put the drawer securing screws in place. I can imagine what would happen to the drawers otherwise :(. I took my castors off as it was to be in a fixed location - funnily enough I came across 4 castors last week and couldn't fathom what they had been on, now I know.

I will post a pic of my ( small ) bench next time it is tidy, just to prove I don't model in an armchair :D

Rob

47th message | this message only posted: 12 Nov 2018 20:35
Nigel Brown

view images in gallery
view images as slides
Andrew Duncan wrote: That's very impressive indeed Nigel.

Lets see what its really like now, not so much to gloat , as make myself (and possibly others?) feel better...?

Andrew
Certainly Andrew :D

These were taken after the layout, desk and floor had been tidied up ....

Nigel

48th message | this message only posted: 12 Nov 2018 20:43
Rob Manchester
Manchester

view images in gallery
view images as slides
Nigel,

Getting ready for the next layout ? - I spot a Walthers HO scale box ( and some Athearn ) under the workbench :D

Rob

49th message | this message only posted: 12 Nov 2018 23:34
Andrew Duncan
Reigate, United Kingdom

view images in gallery
view images as slides
Andrew Barrowman wrote: I won't be posting any pics of my workspace. No siree!Hello Andy

Look at it this way. If it’s chaos incarnate, then you’ve made everyone else feel better about theirs. If it’s a picture then we’ll know never to trust a man who can print his own track....good lord whatever next?

Andrew

50th message | this message only posted: 12 Nov 2018 23:51
Andrew Duncan
Reigate, United Kingdom

view images in gallery
view images as slides
Nigel Brown wrote: Andrew Duncan wrote: That's very impressive indeed Nigel.

Andrew
Certainly Andrew :D

These were taken after the layout, desk and floor had been tidied up ....

Nigel
Hello Nigel
That’s a very acceptable level of order I’d say. Isn’t it funny how we have quite large benches and all the work takes place in about six square inches of space right on the edge where small bits fly off or drop on the floor never to be seen again. We’re a strange breed. 

Incidentally I rather covet your vice (in an earlier pictures) which looks as though it could do contortions quite readily and in doing so get anything to any angle you desired? Is it as good as it looks?

Andrew

51st message | this message only posted: 13 Nov 2018 00:50
Nigel Brown

view images in gallery
view images as slides
Walthers, Athearn, Proto 2000, Atlas, .... you name it! It's an old layout. When I started getting seriously stuck into 3mm/ft, as nearly everything had to be built I realised it was going to take some time to get anywhere, and a lot of time experimenting with things was needed. So I dived into U.S. HO for some light entertainment, while I pursued the 3mm stuff at leisure. Did what I was looking for; here's a couple of pics:

I got a lot out of it, it was the first layout I made a proper go of, and it taught me a lot. One was that I didn't like trains buried out of sight. Another was that if you can't readily access your point motors and one of them fails you're stuck! The first half of the layout was a success but the second half didn't really fit in. The time came when I'd got everything out of it I wanted to, and it was dismantled in preparation for my developing 3mm stuff.

The vice is Proxxon. It's reasonably good; it attaches to the bench by suction, but they also do one with a clamp which may be a better idea. Like most Proxxon stuff it's well made. You can have things at different angles.

Nigel

52nd message | this message only posted: 13 Nov 2018 01:05
Rob Manchester
Manchester

view images in gallery
view images as slides
Hi Nigel,

Thanks very much for the US pics. The UP SD7 drifting down is excellent - one of my favorite locos. I know what you mean about point motors - been there.

I love the way US modellers have it easy - no need to choose between 3-link or Jackson/Spratt&Winkle couplers as you just use KD's and you are good to go. No messing about with wagon springing or compensation. Don't even get me started on the many lovely craftsman building kits that have been available.

Proxxon stuff is good although the machines have gone very expensive the last few years. I have the disc sander and the mini circular saw and both are excellent.

Rob

53rd message | this message only posted: 13 Nov 2018 17:41
John Lewis
Croydon, United Kingdom

view images in gallery
view images as slides
While we are on the subject of US practice, what is the diameter of the wheels on modern US freight cars, please?

Martin has got me watching some US trains and the wheels look very small.

John

54th message | this message only posted: 13 Nov 2018 17:50
Rob Manchester
Manchester

view images in gallery
view images as slides
John Lewis wrote: While we are on the subject of US practice, what is the diameter of the wheels on modern US freight cars, please?

Martin has got me watching some US trains and the wheels look very small.

JohnHi John,
Traditionally 33" has been the standard US freight wagon wheel size. 36" wheels are used on some heavy duty cars such as hoppers. A smaller 28" size is often used on cars that carry a tall load such as double stack container wagons to help get the base of the wagon frame as low as possible.

The wheels can look small as some of the cars are rather large, compared to british practice.

Rob

55th message | this message only posted: 13 Nov 2018 18:50
John Lewis
Croydon, United Kingdom

view images in gallery
view images as slides
Thanks, Rob

John

56th message | this message only posted: 13 Nov 2018 23:57
Andrew Duncan
Reigate, United Kingdom

view images in gallery
view images as slides
The rot has started....Sorry about the weird angle

This is topic ID = 3342     Page created at 09:52 (local time) Page:  First Page Previous Page  1  2     
You can type a quick reply to this topic here.

Click in the box to begin.

But to reply to an individual message, or to include images, attachments and formatted text, use the reply buttons on each message above.

To start a new topic in this forum, click the Start new topic button below.
To start a new topic in a different forum, click the Forum Jump drop-down list below.

Start new topic 

click to jump to a different forum:     Back to top of page

Templot Club > Forums > Share and show > A new trolley
about Templot Club

list recently active topics Templot Companion - User Guide - A-Z Index Templot Explained for beginners Please click: important information for new members and first-time visitors.
indexing link for search engines

back to top of page

Please read this important note about copyright: Unless stated otherwise, all the files submitted to this web site are copyright and the property of the respective contributor. You are welcome to use them for your own personal non-commercial purposes, and in your messages on this web site. If you want to publish any of this material elsewhere or use it commercially, you must first obtain the owner's permission to do so.

The small print: All material submitted to this web site is the responsibility of the respective contributor. By submitting material to this web site you acknowledge that you accept full responsibility for the material submitted. The owner of this web site is not responsible for any content displayed here other than his own contributions. The owner of this web site may edit, modify or remove any content at any time without giving notice or reason.
Problems with this web site? Contact webmaster@templot.com.   This web site uses cookies: click for information.  
© 2018