author remove search highlighting

posted: 14 Feb 2008 15:23

rodney_hills

United Kingdom

click the date to link to this post
click member name to view archived images
view images in gallery view images as slides
Martin,

I'm not sure this is posted to the right Forum section, but I couldn't see where else was more appropriate...

Minor issue - when I receive an email of a new Forum post, everytime there's a URL quoted by the poster, I see the URL twice. It's OK (single) if viewed via the Forum web-page. The URL that you add to to the posting (to point to the Forum webpage) also comes out correctly singly in the email.

Are you and others seeing the same effect? It's a bit tedious when there are a lot of  URLs quoted in one posting and they are all duplicated.

Example below of a post by me where this effect occurs.

I did sift through emails of postings by others:

Your own topic 324 sent the embedded URLs to local Forum pages singly BUT davelong's posting therein dated: Thu Feb 7th, 2008 14:16 quotes three external URLs, all of which a doubled in the emailed copy. So it's not just me.

Here's one of yours where you yourself quote an external URL and it gets doubled in the email: topic 326

If it's simple to fix.......please?

Regards,

Rodney Hills

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

from: rodney_hills                in forum: Prototype pics

subject: Catch points

forum link - click to read this in context with images and attachments, or to reply:

topic 179 - message 1909

================

Hello,

Another 'catch point' photo just spotted on RMweb inter alia something else:

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=17768 http://www.rmweb.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=17768

scroll to stob11.jpg at end of longish page ~~> some modern FB 'trappage' at Willesden Jct.

Regards,

Rodney Hills

above message #1909  dated: 2008-02-14 09:38:03
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

posted: 14 Feb 2008 17:20

Martin Wynne

West Of The Severn - United Kingdom

rodney_hills wrote:
I'm not sure this is posted to the right Forum section, but I couldn't see where else was more appropriate...

Hi Rodney,

Don't worry, I can always move anything which is in the wrong place. In fact we don't have a forum for issues about the forums, so this is as good as anywhere. :)

Minor issue - when I receive an email of a new Forum post, everytime there's a URL quoted by the poster, I see the URL twice. It's OK (single) if viewed via the Forum web-page. The URL that you add to to the posting (to point to the Forum webpage) also comes out correctly singly in the email.

Are you and others seeing the same effect? It's a bit tedious when there are a lot of URLs quoted in one posting and they are all duplicated.

I'm aware of the double-URL problem in emails. Everything is actually working correctly, but it doesn't look that way I know.

Emails from the forum are sent out as plain text, they don't contain any HTML code. In other words there is nothing clickable in the email itself, URLs are included as just plain text strings. If you see a URL as a clickable link when viewing your email it has been made clickable by your own email software. Most email software does that when it sees something beginning* "h t t .." or having "w w w ." in it.

(*I've inserted spaces to stop that happening in this example.)

When you see a link on a web page, it has two components -- the URL to which it links, and the text which you actually see. Usually these are two different things. For example the URL might be "h t t p : w w w . t e m p l o t . c o m" and the text you see might be "click here".

Messages on the forum are web pages. When the forum software transmits one as an email, it sends both components of the link as plain text, so you would get "h t t p : w w w . t e m p l o t . c o m  click here" appearing in your email, and your email software would recognise the first part as a URL and make it clickable.

The snag arises where someone simply enters a URL by itself in a message. Then the forum software recognises it as a URL in the same way as your email software and makes it a clickable link on the forum web page. But in the absence of any specific link text, it makes the link text the same as the URL, so you see the URL string itself as the visible link. This means that the URL string appears twice in an email, once as the URL and once as the link text. Then they both get made clickable by your email software.

There is a solution, but it requires a bit more effort by the sender of the message, so human nature being what it is, it doesn't always get done. :) (Also it disguises the URL destination, which may make folks wary of clicking it.)

For example, your catch points link to RMweb earlier. You simply pasted the link into your message, so it appeared twice in the emails as explained above. What you could have done is to tell the forum software that it is a URL, and provide a separate piece of text for the visible link text. You can do that like this:

[url=http://www.rmweb.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=17768]picture of catch points[/url]

The URL string is prefixed url= and placed in square brackets. (Don't forget the second one -- after the 8 above. It's easily done.) Then follows the link text. Then /url in square brackets.

Here below I've done that. You can see that only the link text appears on the forum web page, not the URL string, and you will see that you get only one clickable link in your email:

picture of catch points

I will have a look at the email-sending script and see if there is a way to avoid the duplicate links being sent, but I fear it may be a non-trivial task. :(

regards,

Martin.

posted: 19 Feb 2008 21:14

rodney_hills

United Kingdom

Hello Martin,

A belated 'thank you' for your thorough explanation of the situation here. I did read your response a while back.

Things also became somewhat clearer once I had pasted my previous post into the new post, I could see some of the constructs used.

Regards, Rodney

Templot Club > Forums > I wish it would... > 'Double URL refs' in emails of Forum posts
about Templot Club

Templot Companion - User Guide - A-Z Index Templot Explained for beginners Please click: important information for new members and first-time visitors.
indexing link for search engines

back to top of page

Please read this important note about copyright: Unless stated otherwise, all the files submitted to this web site are copyright and the property of the respective contributor. You are welcome to use them for your own personal non-commercial purposes, and in your messages on this web site. If you want to publish any of this material elsewhere or use it commercially, you must first obtain the owner's permission to do so.
The small print: All material submitted to this web site is the responsibility of the respective contributor. By submitting material to this web site you acknowledge that you accept full responsibility for the material submitted. The owner of this web site is not responsible for any content displayed here other than his own contributions. The owner of this web site may edit, modify or remove any content at any time without giving notice or reason. Problems with this web site? Contact webmaster@templot.com.   This web site uses cookies: click for information.  
© 2020