http://www.emgs.org/society-announces-ready-to-lay-em-gauge-track/

posted: 5 Nov 2018 09:42

Martin Wynne

West Of The Severn - United Kingdom

click the date to link to this post
click member name to view archived images
view images in gallery view images as slides
Thanks Richard.

That's great news for the growing hobby interest in proper track. A standard ready-to-use B-6 turnout can get everyone off to a flying start, rather than the Peco geometry in 00.

cheers,

Martin.

posted: 5 Nov 2018 09:47

Paul Boyd

Loughborough - United Kingdom

I saw this on their Facebook page this morning. This really is excellent news as EM gauge is a very practical step toward better accuracy, and it’s always building track that puts people off. Hopefully this will also reverse the decline in membership numbers, but also maybe encourage manufacturers to consider how their products can be more readily converted to EM gauge.
Paul

posted: 5 Nov 2018 12:35

Nigel Brown

Interesting. Wonder if it will be compatible with existing EM track components from other manufacturers.

Nigel

posted: 5 Nov 2018 20:40

Rob Manchester

Manchester - United Kingdom

EM gauge made by Peco, now that is good news :) Wonder if the EMGS specified 2,3 or 4 bolt chairs ?

How do we persuade Bachmann, Hornby, Heljan and Dapol to offer the option of EM wheels ? Probably as likely as a supermarket giving us healthy ready meals.....

Rob

posted: 5 Nov 2018 21:08

Nigel Brown

So long as the locos are readily convertable think that's the best one can hope for. Ultrascale seem to have no problem with producing conversions for various manufacturers. Although, thinking about it, maybe a ready to run job would have attractions.

I believe Airfix and Mainline did originally consider EM. Need to run on trainset curves probably put paid to it.

posted: 7 Nov 2018 07:44

Hayfield

United Kingdom

Rob Manchester wrote:
EM gauge made by Peco, now that is good news :) Wonder if the EMGS specified 2,3 or 4 bolt chairs ?

How do we persuade Bachmann, Hornby, Heljan and Dapol to offer the option of EM wheels ? Probably as likely as a supermarket giving us healthy ready meals.....

Rob

Rob
Many do and the ranges are growing, however as they all cannot agree on a wheel standard I doubt if it will come, unless someone commissions a new chassis.

Hark back to the days when the whitemetal kits ran of Jinty chassis !!

Edit

How about a 3D print using Markit wheels!!
Last edited on 7 Nov 2018 07:45 by Hayfield
posted: 30 Nov 2018 12:16

Martin Wynne

Some pre-production pictures:

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/139084-emgs-commissions-peco-for-rtr-em-gauge-bullhead-trackturnouts/page-15#entry3383078

That looks very good. After all these years, it's hard to believe that such things are finally being made by Peco, or at least, in their factory. :)

Martin.

posted: 30 Nov 2018 15:18

Hayfield

United Kingdom

On the face of it look to my eye better than Peco's own 00 gauge ones

A question or two, should the common crossing have a slab and bracket chair?

Secondly there seems to be a infill between both wing rails and Vee

posted: 30 Nov 2018 16:15

Martin Wynne

Hayfield wrote:
A question or two, should the common crossing have a slab and bracket chair?

Secondly there seems to be a infill between both wing rails and Vee
Hi John,

Pre-grouping designs usually had a conventional chair casting with keys for the "A" timber. The bolted slab & bracket designs were introduced after the grouping, but the earlier designs would have lasted well into the 1950s in places, and there may still be a few around.

Here's a couple of slab & bracket pictures:

1. GWR design, plain bracket castings, the slab has square corners and an angled section for the holding-down bolt through a pojection on the vee point rail:

2_121258_410000000.jpg2_121258_410000000.jpg

2. BR design, ribbed brackets, rectangular slab with radiused corners, no holding-down bolt, extra nose spacer blocks instead:

2_202055_480000000.png2_202055_480000000.png

In both pics you can see the spacer blocks between the wing rails, but they don't fill the entire space.

A fully filled space looks worse in models because of the wider flangeway gaps.

Of course, the white pre-production pics make it look even worse.

cheers,

Martin.

posted: 30 Nov 2018 22:57

Rob Manchester

Manchester - United Kingdom

Martin Wynne wrote:
Some pre-production pictures:

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/139084-emgs-commissions-peco-for-rtr-em-gauge-bullhead-trackturnouts/page-15#entry3383078

That looks very good. After all these years, it's hard to believe that such things are finally being made by Peco, or at least, in their factory. :)

Martin.
Yes, it is good to have some RTL ( Ready To Lay ) EM track after all this time. For people without the skill, inclination or time to build their own track it will be a bonus. But surely people who model using EM gauge actually chose it because it was more acurate to scale and understood the extra work that track building, wheel conversions and the like would entail.

As somebody who makes sleepers from plastikard ( which gives a choice of thickness ) and adds some texture using fine wire wool the only downside of the new products is that awful faux wood grain effect :(.

Rob

posted: 1 Dec 2018 01:50

Andrew Barrowman

USA

Rob Manchester wrote: 
the only downside of the new products is that awful faux wood grain effect :(.

Rob

Nothing wrong with a bit of faux wood as long as it's done right, like the stuff we put on our station wagons :D
Last edited on 1 Dec 2018 01:52 by Andrew Barrowman
posted: 1 Dec 2018 12:22

Nigel Brown

In any of the non-commercial scales there's quite a high overhead in that a lot needs to be built; it takes time. I think the advantage of some ready-to-run EM trackwork is that it enables somebody to get started that much quicker, if only in laying down test tracks, or building an initial layout. I suspect it's also attractive to existing to EM modellers in that enables them to knock up a secondary layout fairly quickly, in addition to their main one, if they're so inclined, as well as doing bits (or all) of their
main layout.

As a 3mm/ft modeller I found the 3mm Society's introduction of 14.2mm gauge track bases very useful, even though my existing layout has hand-laid track throughout.

Nigel

posted: 14 Dec 2020 21:19

Nigel Brown

I've been looking closely at pics of the Peco/EMGS B6 points, and comparing them with a Templot B6 point. One thing puzzles me.

There are 9 timbers between the tiebar and the other end of the switches. Fine. Now on the EMGS point there are 5 slide chairs and 4 standard chairs. Looking at the Templot B6 this would bring the start of the flexible part of the switch perilously close to the adjacent stock rail, which I suspect would make it very hard to get adequate clearance between open switch and stock rail.

Looking at the pics they seem OK. How? Have they altered the B6 geometry, e.g. by having a turnout road which diverges more sharply?

Nigel

posted: 14 Dec 2020 23:01

Martin Wynne

Nigel Brown wrote:
I've been looking closely at pics of the Peco/EMGS B6 turnouts, and comparing them with a Templot B6 turnout. One thing puzzles me.

There are 9 timbers between the tiebar and the other end of the switches. Fine. Now on the EMGS point there are 5 slide chairs and 4 standard chairs. Looking at the Templot B6 this would bring the start of the flexible part of the switch perilously close to the adjacent stock rail, which I suspect would make it very hard to get adequate clearance between open switch and stock rail.
Hi Nigel,

I know nothing about the EMGS turnouts, I can talk only about the prototype:

2_141732_480000000.jpg2_141732_480000000.jpg

On a prototype REA B-switch, the switch rails span a total of 10 timbers (i.e. 9 beyond the first stretcher bar).

The first 6 timbers have slide chairs. They are easily identified in photos because the stock rail is bolted to them, and the bolts are easily seen on the outside of the rail.

Beyond the 6 slide chairs there are 4 block chairs, numbered 1..4, handed for left or right side.

In the first 2 block chairs the switch rail is not constrained on the inside, and is free to flex open. They could also be called slide chairs, although the stock rail is keyed to them in the usual way, not bolted.

This means that the switch rail is free to flex open over a total of 8 timbers.

In the final 2 block chairs to the switch rail joint, the switch rail is keyed (on the outside) in the usual way and is not free to flex.

There is also a switch anchor, which prevents the switch rail sliding lengthways relative to the stock rail.

In 00 and EM, and maybe P4 (not S4-X), it is usual to make the switch rail joint a dummy joint (with attached cosmetic fishplates) in a longer switch rail, and to leave it free to flex over a longer length. Otherwise it may not be possible to obtain sufficient clearance all along behind the open switch blade for the wider model flanges.

Alternatively the switch opening at the tip may be increased to obtain sufficient clearance all along. The prototype opening is 4.25" (1.42mm). The usual EM opening is 1.75mm (or the thickness of a 20p coin). Increasing that provides more clearance, but doesn't look good.

Hope this helps, although how it relates to the EMGS version I can't say. There's a recent photo here:

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/139084-emgs-commissions-peco-for-rtr-em-gauge-bullhead-trackturnouts/&do=findComment&comment=4204362

cheers,

Martin.

posted: 15 Dec 2020 18:51

Nigel Brown

Hi Martin

Thanks for the reply. The EMGS point pic is useful; I also used:
http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/uploads/monthly_11_2018/post-1-0-49465300-1541408375.jpg
which was published on RMweb.

Looking at both of them it's seems to me pretty clear that all 4 pairs of block chairs hold the rail firmly, and that they've dealt with clearance problems between open switch rail and stock rail by having the turnout road diverging more sharply in the planed area of the switch rails; the geometry looks different from a Templot EM B6 turnout.

Nigel

Templot Club > Forums > Off track > New -- EMGS announce ready-to-lay trackwork in EM
about Templot Club

Templot Companion - User Guide - A-Z Index Templot Explained for beginners Please click: important information for new members and first-time visitors.
indexing link for search engines

back to top of page

Please read this important note about copyright: Unless stated otherwise, all the files submitted to this web site are copyright and the property of the respective contributor. You are welcome to use them for your own personal non-commercial purposes, and in your messages on this web site. If you want to publish any of this material elsewhere or use it commercially, you must first obtain the owner's permission to do so.
The small print: All material submitted to this web site is the responsibility of the respective contributor. By submitting material to this web site you acknowledge that you accept full responsibility for the material submitted. The owner of this web site is not responsible for any content displayed here other than his own contributions. The owner of this web site may edit, modify or remove any content at any time without giving notice or reason. Problems with this web site? Contact webmaster@templot.com.   This web site uses cookies: click for information.  
© 2020