Templot Club Archive 2007-2020                             

topic: 3352Getting Started - from the very start.....
author remove search highlighting

posted: 6 Nov 2018 20:09

polybear

click the date to link to this post
click member name to view archived images
view images in gallery view images as slides
Hi All,
I must admit to having experimented with Templot some years ago (back in the days when it was purchased via a CD/DVD and you then had to ask Martin for a lock-release code....).  However, I've done nothing with it for more than a few years and now I've decided I'm well overdue.
So - are there any recent-ish getting started instructions?  I've found some, but terminology seems to have changed and some web pages appear incomplete/unfinished/to do.  Or is this still part of Martin's very long "to do" list?  Thanks
Kind Regards,
Brian

posted: 6 Nov 2018 22:58

Martin Wynne

West Of The Severn - United Kingdom

polybear wrote:
So - are there any recent-ish getting started instructions?  I've found some, but terminology seems to have changed and some web pages appear incomplete/unfinished/to do. Or is this still part of Martin's very long "to do" list?
Hi Brian,

There's the beginning of the start of the getting started instructions at:

http://templot.com/companion/0_for_beginners.php

Yes, it's on my to-do list and well overdue for a bit of progress. I have promised to get back to it soon.

But I confess my heart isn't really in it. The lack of proper up-to-date docs is the reason Templot is now free.

The index to what's so far available is at:

http://templot.com/companion/

If you can't find what you are looking for there, just ask on here.

cheers,

Martin.

posted: 7 Nov 2018 17:58

polybear

Thanks Martin - I did suspect that was the case.  On a bright note, just think how good you'll feel when it's done :D
Kind Regards,
Brian

posted: 22 Jan 2019 17:42

Dave Hunt

Market Drayton - United Kingdom

I have just downloaded Templot 2 onto my PC. Can I now download it to my laptop as well without having to register again?

posted: 22 Jan 2019 17:49

Jim Guthrie

United Kingdom

Dave Hunt wrote:
I have just downloaded Templot 2 onto my PC. Can I now download it to my laptop as well without having to register again?
David,

Yes.   I've got it on three PCs :D

Jim.

posted: 22 Jan 2019 17:59

Martin Wynne

Dave Hunt wrote:
Hi Dave,

Welcome to Templot Club. :)

Sure. Templot is free to use, you can install it on as many computers as you wish. And you don't need to register at all, even for the first one.

The registration is so that you can post messages here on Templot Club.

cheers,

Martin.

posted: 11 Mar 2019 20:42

Dave Hunt

I've downloaded Templot onto my laptop as well as my PC but when I open it on either machine I can't access what I did on the other one. Is there something I can do to enable me to work on the same plan on either machine?

Also, how do I save one trackplan so that I can work on another one but still have the first one accessible?

Sorry about the numpty questions but I can't find the answers anywhere at present.

Dave

posted: 11 Mar 2019 21:01

Rob Manchester

Manchester - United Kingdom

Hi Dave,

The contents of the storage box can be saved by using the Files->Save all Templates menu option. The storage box contains all the background templates you have stored ( ie the trackplan ). Use the Files-> load/Reload/add from file menu option to open one back up again.

This file ( xxxxx.box ) can be copied or moved like any other digital file ie via memory stick, network etc. I haven't any experience of storing Templot across network drives so somebody else may comment on that option if the two machines you have are able to access the same network.

Rob

posted: 13 Mar 2019 09:47

Godfrey Earnshaw

Crawley - United Kingdom

Hi Dave,
I use, Allway Sync.  This is an application to; "Synchronize files and folders across a variety of locations"

"Allway Sync is designed to work with a variety of devices and locations: both local and network folders, NAS drives and even USB flash drives. All you need to do is create partnerships to link two or more folders together, and then synchronising them is a one-click operation, or even something that can be performed to a schedule of your choosing."

Allway Sync is free for private use. There is a limit to the number and size you can synchronize but I have never had difficulty in synchronizing several machines.

It can be used just for Templot All files or selected files

I use it for whole machine back up, every machine is a mirror image. You can select it to synchronize in different ways and times, either manually or automatically.

I have used it for several years now, without problem.

Regards

Godders
Last edited on 13 Mar 2019 09:52 by Godfrey Earnshaw
posted: 13 Mar 2019 12:04

Martin Wynne

Dave Hunt wrote:
I've downloaded Templot onto my laptop as well as my PC but when I open it on either machine I can't access what I did on the other one. Is there something I can do to enable me to work on the same plan on either machine?
Hi Dave,

As Rob and Godders have suggested, there are various options. Templot saves its files to any location you choose, so you can easily use shared locations on a network or online cloud storage if you wish.

However, there is one very easy way to use Templot on as many computers as you want. That is to install Templot on a USB memory stick.

By default Templot saves its files in its own folder. So if it's on a memory stick, you can bung that memory stick into any Windows computer*, anywhere, and immediately have the program running on that computer, with all your latest settings and files available.

If starting from scratch, install Templot onto the memory stick. i.e. on the setup dialog change the location C:\TEMPLOT_DEV to say F:\TEMPLOT_DEV or whichever drive is the memory stick.

If you have already started using Templot and have some files, simply copy the entire TEMPLOT_DEV folder to the memory stick.

*the current version of Templot requires the computer to have internet access, but that will change with the next program update. In the meantime you can get round that restriction if necessary -- see:

topic 3337

Remember to make a backup copy of the memory stick from time to time.

cheers,

Martin.

posted: 13 Mar 2019 17:17

Jim Guthrie

United Kingdom

Adding to Martin's suggestion about using a USB memory stick, I use Microsoft Onedrive cloud storage and I get the same portability by installing the Templot_Dev folder in the Onedrive folder and running it from there. I have three PCs in the house all coneected to Onedrive, so I can run the same instance of Templot from all three and all the files are there as well.

I have to admit I haven't tried running two instances of Templot from Onedrive at the same time. It might be interesting to try some day to find out if there are problems.

Jim.
Last edited on 13 Mar 2019 17:18 by Jim Guthrie
posted: 13 Mar 2019 17:29

Paul Boyd

Loughborough - United Kingdom

I do exactly the same as Jim, albeit with Google Drive. It just works. Running two instances from the same folder did nasty things, although I can’t remember what exactly, but doing that is well outside Templot’s remit!
Paul

posted: 14 Mar 2019 20:46

Dave Hunt

Thanks everyone for the information. I must say that now I am beginning to get some idea of what Templot can do I am very impressed with it. There's still a long way to go before I can claim to be at all competent with it but I live in hope.....

Dave

Templot Club > Forums > Baffled beginners > Getting Started - from the very start.....
about Templot Club

Templot Companion - User Guide - A-Z Index Templot Explained for beginners Please click: important information for new members and first-time visitors.
indexing link for search engines

back to top of page

Please read this important note about copyright: Unless stated otherwise, all the files submitted to this web site are copyright and the property of the respective contributor. You are welcome to use them for your own personal non-commercial purposes, and in your messages on this web site. If you want to publish any of this material elsewhere or use it commercially, you must first obtain the owner's permission to do so.
The small print: All material submitted to this web site is the responsibility of the respective contributor. By submitting material to this web site you acknowledge that you accept full responsibility for the material submitted. The owner of this web site is not responsible for any content displayed here other than his own contributions. The owner of this web site may edit, modify or remove any content at any time without giving notice or reason. Problems with this web site? Contact webmaster@templot.com.   This web site uses cookies: click for information.  
© 2020