author remove search highlighting

posted: 22 Nov 2018 16:13

Martin Wynne

West Of The Severn - United Kingdom

click the date to link to this post
click member name to view archived images
view images in gallery view images as slides
My post today on RMweb may be of interest:

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/138419-godstone-road-blue-electrodiesel-suburbia/page-6#entry3373799

Martin.

posted: 22 Nov 2018 16:41

Rob Manchester

Manchester - United Kingdom

Thanks Martin, it is interesting. Many ways to crack an egg ( or not if you like yours boiled ) :)

BTW what is the copyright position with using small parts of modern OS maps to illustrate forum postings and such like ? I assume the NLS online ones are fine to use due to age provided they are not used commercially. Some rules to follow would be appreciated.

Rob

posted: 22 Nov 2018 17:27

Martin Wynne

Rob Manchester wrote:
BTW what is the copyright position with using small parts of modern OS maps to illustrate forum postings and such like ?
Hi Rob,

I wish I knew. The OS are very strict about their licensing and copyright on current maps. They tend to be less concerned if you derive something else from it, by pasting some form of markup over the top such as in my example, and it is not for commercial use. "Fair dealing" allows you to use small extracts non-commercially for private research and published review, but the precise terms would be argued on a case by case basis. I should probably delete that image to be on the safe side. :(

OS OpenData maps can be freely used for any purpose, but they tend not to be much help in track planning, see:

http://www.ordnancesurvey.co.uk/business-and-government/products/opendata.html

OS maps over 50 years old since publication are out of copyright, but if someone such as the NLS scans them, they create their own copyright in the scan itself and what use can be made of it. Fortunately the NLS as a non-profit org allow non-commercial use of their scans. In the case of the tiled NLS maps in Templot, I have paid for licence to use them in the Templot application (out of the donations fund).

Three cheers for OpenStreetMap which can be used by anyone for any purpose (and to which as a contributor I confess a serious addiction problem :) ):

http://www.openstreetmap.org/#map=19/52.37567/-2.30633

Anyone can contribute to OSM, which is mostly done by tracing over Bing satellite images or over OS OpenData. By this means railway structures can be added to OSM, and then imported into Templot as OSM tiled maps, without infringing any copyright or licence issues.

Why so many web sites use (and in some cases pay for) the awful Google maps when OSM is so much better and more detailed, is another of life's mysteries. Compare:

http://www.google.co.uk/maps/@52.3757438,-2.3064815,19z

cheers,

Martin.

posted: 22 Nov 2018 18:01

Rob Manchester

Thank you Martin, that clarifies it somewhat. OSM is nice although the detail varies depending on the enthusiasm of the local contributors. The area round the Severn Valley Railway seems to be well detailed....I wonder why that is :D

Like any map it does need somebody to remember to take off what isn't there anymore. We had a branch of Sainsbury's not too far away that closed 9 months ago and it is still showing.

Rob

posted: 22 Nov 2018 18:57

Martin Wynne

Rob Manchester wrote:
Thank you Martin, that clarifies it somewhat. OSM is nice although the detail varies depending on the enthusiasm of the local contributors. The area round the Severn Valley Railway seems to be well detailed....I wonder why that is :D

Like any map it does need somebody to remember to take off what isn't there any more. We had a branch of Sainsbury's not too far away that closed 9 months ago and it is still showing.
Hi Rob,

If you know that it is your job to remove it :) -- if you post a link or a postcode I will do it for you.

After a walk with my camera and GPS I do try to update OSM for the area. That usually takes a lot longer to do than the walk. For example after my recent walks on Brimfield Hill and around Little Hereford I have been adding some of the footpaths, farms, hedgerows and land use:

http://www.openstreetmap.org/#map=16/52.2938/-2.6795

Still a long way to go, as you can see if you zoom out.

If you click the arrow icon on the right, and then on a specific feature such as a footpath, a list of nearby features will appear on the left. Clicking on the blue links shows you the name of the contributor who added it to the map.

To see if it's a worthwhile thing to do, compare with the Google map on the same coordinates:

OSM: http://www.openstreetmap.org/#map=16/52.2938/-2.6795

Google: http://www.google.co.uk/maps/@52.2938,-2.6795,16z

The OSM database is used by satnavs and similar to create routes and guided walks, etc., so it's important to make sure that footpaths, roads and tracks are all properly connected together.

p.s. on the OSM standard map, red dots are footpaths, purple dots are boundaries. It is sometimes confusing, especially where a boundary runs along a footpath. It is considered bad form to edit the position of a boundary, because they are derived from definitive legal sources.

cheers,

Martin.

posted: 22 Nov 2018 22:11

Rob Manchester

Hi Martin,

Thanks for the offer :-

OSM Sainsburys

It is now this in the same unit :-

2001_221707_560000000.jpg2001_221707_560000000.jpg

You have been busy, maybe you should put some new walking boots on the xmas list :D

Rob

posted: 22 Nov 2018 22:34

Martin Wynne

Rob Manchester wrote:
Hi Martin,

Thanks for the offer :-

OSM Sainsburys

It is now this in the same unit :-
Hi Rob,

Now changed. You will need to press CTRL+F5 on the map to see the change immediately.

cheers,

Martin.

posted: 22 Nov 2018 23:42

Rob Manchester

Thanks Martin.

Must get myself registered and start tidying up the south Manchester region :) The rate stores change round here that could be quite a task.

I like the way OSM has house numbers on some roads. That can be handy if you don't know the old rule about numbering starting at the end nearest the town hall with odds on the left and evens on the right. Not sure that would work the way they have built housing estates in the last 50 years and it is quite common to see estates with cul-de-sacs number the houses sequentially down one side and back along the other. The short dead-end roads make them less of a rat run and saves money on speed humps. Station Road, Mill Lane and Cooper Street is probably Vickers Drive, Avro Way and Boulton Close these days...

Rob

posted: 23 Nov 2018 18:15

Phil O

Plymouth - United Kingdom

Hi Rob

You could come unstuck in Plymouth, most streets are numbered consecutively, along one side and then back up the other and even more confusing is some roads turn left or right and a new one commences at the junction.

Phil

posted: 23 Nov 2018 18:52

Rob Manchester

Phil O wrote:
Hi Rob

You could come unstuck in Plymouth, most streets are numbered consecutively, along one side and then back up the other and even more confusing is some roads turn left or right and a new one commences at the junction.

Phil
Hi Phil,
I will let you update the OSM maps for Plymouth then :D. Nice place, not been down there for many a year. Used to fish out of there on the charter boats back in the 80's, fishing was good once you got your sea legs.

Rob

posted: 23 Nov 2018 21:17

Phil O

Rob,

Thanks, I will add it to my ever growing "round tuit" pile! Apart from around the city centre and the Barbican, you would hardly recognise the place.

Phil

posted: 24 Nov 2018 08:53

Bill Eaton

Ivybridge - United Kingdom

Having lived in or near Plymouth for over 30 years and working in property related businesses I have to say that this was news to me.

posted: 24 Nov 2018 19:24

Phil O

Bill

Most streets if not all in Ford are all numbered consecutively. Westfield turns in to Hemerdon Heights, whilst Westfield makes a right turn. A similar scenario with Clifton Avenue and Rashleigh Avenue, both in Plympton are the ones that spring readily to mind.

Phil

posted: 26 Nov 2018 11:25

Andrew Ockwell

Chichester - United Kingdom

You do come unstuck in East Wittering. Back in the sixties they numbered my road consecutively, then a few years later someone bought a field and extended it. Result chaos - my house, number 11, finds itself next to no. 26. Great fun for delivery drivers.
Andrew
Phil O wrote:
Hi Rob

Phil

posted: 26 Nov 2018 20:22

Rob Manchester

Andrew Ockwell wrote:
You do come unstuck in East Wittering. Back in the sixties they numbered my road consecutively, then a few years later someone bought a field and extended it. Result chaos - my house, number 11, finds itself next to no. 26. Great fun for delivery drivers.
Andrew
Phil O wrote:
Hi Rob

Phil
Hi Andrew,

I bet that went down well - the extra houses I mean. Shouldn't be able to build on green fields like that.

Went to West Wittering once as a day out from a friends house in Horsham. It was freezing and bleak but sure it would be a nice spot if it wasn't rainy and windy :)

Rob

posted: 2 Jan 2019 10:56

Martin Wynne

Martin Wynne wrote:

Why so many web sites use (and in some cases pay for) the awful Google maps when OSM is so much better and more detailed (and free), is another of life's mysteries. Compare:

Google: http://www.google.co.uk/maps/@52.2938,-2.6795,16z

OSM: http://www.openstreetmap.org/#map=16/52.2938/-2.6795
See today:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-australia-46733073

Martin.

Templot Club > Forums > Templot talk > Scaling from maps
about Templot Club

Templot Companion - User Guide - A-Z Index Templot Explained for beginners Please click: important information for new members and first-time visitors.
indexing link for search engines

back to top of page

Please read this important note about copyright: Unless stated otherwise, all the files submitted to this web site are copyright and the property of the respective contributor. You are welcome to use them for your own personal non-commercial purposes, and in your messages on this web site. If you want to publish any of this material elsewhere or use it commercially, you must first obtain the owner's permission to do so.
The small print: All material submitted to this web site is the responsibility of the respective contributor. By submitting material to this web site you acknowledge that you accept full responsibility for the material submitted. The owner of this web site is not responsible for any content displayed here other than his own contributions. The owner of this web site may edit, modify or remove any content at any time without giving notice or reason. Problems with this web site? Contact webmaster@templot.com.   This web site uses cookies: click for information.  
© 2020