click here for a list of all existing Templot documentation
Important Privacy Information cookie information pre-print options:    

click image to open Templot Club in a new tab             Search           remove page highlighting
Templot club top logo
    looking for help? -                         enjoy using Templot? -
looking for Templot? - (free)

you are not logged in  - Login | Join

receive all messages by email: info

Recent Topics
Front Page  Search  Image Gallery  Gallery Upload  My Account  Members  Open Source  TemplotMEC  Help  
make a donation  
please click: important information for new members and first-time visitors Templot Companion - User Guide
            messages archive on Yahoo
page trail:  Templot Club > Forums > Trackbuilding topics > Modelling GWR loose heel switches in 4mm
Templot web site

Modelling GWR loose heel switches in 4mm
  Page:  First Page Previous Page  1  2       
 Start new topic   Reply blank   Printer friendly 
  Rate this topic  
AuthorMessage
 Clicked a link? Wrong message? Wait until the page has finished loading, click in the address bar and then press the Enter key. This is a timing bug in some browsers.
41st message | this message only posted: 18 Feb 2019 23:49
 PM  Reply with quote  Reply blank 
Andrew Duncan
Reigate, United Kingdom

view images in gallery
view images as slides
madscientist wrote: In Nigel's pic of his excellent point work , I notice he omits the loose heeled chair completely , i.e. a key visual point of a loose heeled switch was the tight and loose chair straddling the fishplate

Dave
Hello Dave
So far as key visuals are a concern my feeling is it’s important to have a break in the rail at the heel so that when one of the switches is “open” you can see a clear difference in alignment between it (the switch) and the closure rail. The shorter the turnout the more pronounced this is. 

Kind regards 
Andrew

Clicked a link? Wrong message? Wait until the page has finished loading, click in the address bar and then press the Enter key. This is a timing bug in some browsers.
42nd message | this message only posted: 19 Feb 2019 08:04
madscientist

view images in gallery
view images as slides
Nigel Brown wrote: madscientist wrote: In Nigel's pic of his excellent point work , I notice he omits the loose heeled chair completely , i.e. a key visual point of a loose heeled switch was the tight and loose chair straddling the fishplateHi Dave

Not sure what you mean here. As far as I can tell, my loose heel switch conforms to the diagrams and pics in Smith's GWR Switch and Crossing Practice. Can't see anything there which looks like a chair straddling the fishplate.

Cheers
Nigel
Hi Nigel , if I’m interpreting the picture correctly, I do not see a chair on the tongue side of the fishplate ? 
Dave 

43rd message | this message only posted: 19 Feb 2019 08:05
madscientist

view images in gallery
view images as slides
Andrew Duncan wrote: madscientist wrote: In Nigel's pic of his excellent point work , I notice he omits the loose heeled chair completely , i.e. a key visual point of a loose heeled switch was the tight and loose chair straddling the fishplate

Dave
Hello Dave
So far as key visuals are a concern my feeling is it’s important to have a break in the rail at the heel so that when one of the switches is “open” you can see a clear difference in alignment between it (the switch) and the closure rail. The shorter the turnout the more pronounced this is. 

Kind regards 
Andrew
I would entirely agree 

44th message | this message only posted: 19 Feb 2019 08:08
madscientist

view images in gallery
view images as slides
Martin Wynne wrote: madscientist wrote:and the tongue has to move in excess of twice the difference of the prototypeHi Dave,

Some misunderstanding there?

The prototype blade tip opening ("switch drive") is 4.25 inches = 1.42mm in 4mm/ft scale.

For EM and 00-SF I normally recommend the thickness of a 20p coin (1.75mm) to set the tip opening.

That's only 23% more the the prototype, and a long way short of "in excess of twice". :?

And extending the length of the switch in EM and 00-SF for running clearance, actually reduces the amount of "give" needed at the heel joint.

cheers,

Martin.
Thank you , Martin , for correcting my rather over-exuberant use of “ in excess “. Given I use the coin test myself !! 

45th message | this message only posted: 19 Feb 2019 08:10
madscientist

view images in gallery
view images as slides
Matt M. wrote: Hi Dave,

Apologies I didn't mean to hijack your thread. I had been reading it with interest
and there seemed to be some confusion as to how this type of switch mounting
was constructed. I only understand it as a friend of mine was the last Chief Officer of the Permanent-Way Branch of the NSWGR and we talk on research matters for early track.

To your modelling problem I did remember and confirmed that Jim Snowdon did an article
in MRJ 113 dealing with the way he got over this using wire hinges.
It is of course in 7mm so may be a little fiddly in 4mm.
I also don't know the longevity of his solution. The effect was very pronounced with
straight cut switches.

Cheers, Matt M.
 No issue with “ hijack “ all track talk is interesting , hijack away 
Dave 

46th message | this message only posted: 19 Feb 2019 11:28
Nigel Brown

view images in gallery
view images as slides
madscientist wrote: Nigel Brown wrote: madscientist wrote: In Nigel's pic of his excellent point work , I notice he omits the loose heeled chair completely , i.e. a key visual point of a loose heeled switch was the tight and loose chair straddling the fishplateHi Dave

Not sure what you mean here. As far as I can tell, my loose heel switch conforms to the diagrams and pics in Smith's GWR Switch and Crossing Practice. Can't see anything there which looks like a chair straddling the fishplate.

Cheers
Nigel
Hi Nigel , if I’m interpreting the picture correctly, I do not see a chair on the tongue side of the fishplate ? 
Dave
Hi Dave, there's no fishplate. That's a bit of crude which seems to have attached itself to the rail. :D
The heel chair is to the left of the gap.
Nigel

47th message | this message only posted: 19 Feb 2019 20:33
madscientist

view images in gallery
view images as slides
Ah ok.

48th message | this message only posted: 20 Feb 2019 09:57
John Palmer

view images in gallery
view images as slides
Just caught up on this topic.  Matt, thanks so much for posting those drawings showing Australian practice; they are quite fascinating and clearly show the extent of the differences between switches constructed with bullhead rail and those with flat bottom rail, right down to the .25" chamfer in the foot of the FB variety to allow it to swing.

The attached photo shows the prototype I made about  4 years ago for a NB loose heel switch.  Unfortunately I got its dimensions wrong and the tongue is quite a lot longer than the 12' length that was so commonplace on NB lines.  The tube through the baseboard carrying the pivot wire is rendered unobtrusive by the simulated heel plate; it would be rather more obvious in the absence of that plate, but not necessarily unacceptable - indeed, it would not be necessary to carry the tube any higher than the top of the ballast, leaving a gap of no more than a millimetre or thereabouts.

I knew that one day I would find a use for those prehistoric Kingsway brass chair stampings I salted away!

49th message | this message only posted: 20 Feb 2019 10:31
madscientist

view images in gallery
view images as slides
I’m still pondering the best way to “ represent “ the loose heal “ effect “ , primarily the visual  feature as pointed out that there is an obvious “ discontinuity “ when the switch blade is open 
I dont want to use any form of pivot that extends into the baseboard as I build all my points on the workbench .  Hence my current thinking , in advance of the inevitable failure of reality! , is to pivot the loose heel chair and a “ sloppy “ fishplate , I was thinking of a pin in the base of a plastic or brass chair and then drilled into the underlying ply sleeper ( with the possibility of a brass pivot tube fitted into the sleeper .  The only issue being the pivot point should be at the fishplate , but it may work. 

The other idea , since I’ve just fitted my Ender 3 with a 0.2mm nozzle ( it’s a fantastic printer for $150 folks ! ) , is to print a “ loose heeled “ sleeper with appropriate chairs , 4mm chairs in 3D are a challange though. No concrete ideas yet 

Martin could 3D help here ? 

I also have to make two GWR profile single slips ( or compounds as the gwr called them ) in 7mm , that should be fun ! , I presume these are also joggles and straight cut switches here too 

Great thread, we need to rescue the forum from all the hill walkers :D, good NSWF hardcore track stuff 

Dave. 

50th message | this message only posted: 20 Feb 2019 12:23
madscientist

view images in gallery
view images as slides
The only 3D “ idea “ I’ve postulated is to print both sleepers on either side of the fishplate with a “bridge “ piece between them , which would be hidden in the ballast , but has a “ boss “ that could accept a brass pin soldered to the end of the tongue rail and then fit fake split fishplates. Obviously there would have to be play in the loose heel chair. But that’s easily done with half chairs

This would allow the pivot point to be more or less correctly positioned , but still allow the point to be constructed on the workbench

It would also work for slips too , where I find pivoting the switch rail is needed in almost all cases anyway

Dave

51st message | this message only posted: 27 Jul 2019 14:29
David Higgs
Bletchley, United Kingdom

view images in gallery
view images as slides
Hayfield wrote:  Either a cosmetic approach by cutting a notch in the top of the rail and soldering an etched fishplate both sides. 
I am considering using this pragmatic solution for Loose Heel Switches. Should I use a Loose Heel Switch Template or a Flexible Switch Template?

52nd message | this message only posted: 27 Jul 2019 21:15
Martin Wynne
West Of The Severn, United Kingdom

view images in gallery
view images as slides

Please do not send requests for help direct to me via email or PM.

Post your questions on the forum where everyone can see them and add helpful replies.
David Higgs wrote: Hayfield wrote:  Either a cosmetic approach by cutting a notch in the top of the rail and soldering an etched fishplate both sides. 
I am considering using this pragmatic solution for Loose Heel Switches. Should I use a Loose Heel Switch Template or a Flexible Switch Template?
Hi David,

For constructional purposes it doesn't make any difference which template you use, or whether you make the blades loose-heel or not. The template simply shows the rail alignment when the switch blade is closed against the stock rail. What happens when it's open is up to you.

The template shows the prototypical detail for the rail joint positions, timber spacings, etc., but these don't prevent other construction methods on the template. For loose-heel switches the rail joint positions can only be used as printed if you use an exact-scale flangeway. For 00, EM, 0-MF, etc., it is necessary to move the joint to provide sufficient flange clearance in the open position. So loose-heel switches can't be modelled exactly to scale in these gauges. Even in P4 the joint needs moving strictly speaking because P4 flangeways are 15% overscale. To model a loose-heel switch exactly in 4mm scale needs the S4-X standard. In 7mm scale it has to be S7.

But the loose-heel switches are available in a wider range of sizes, and allow shorter turnouts and easier radii in the non-natural sizes. So even if building with flexible switch blades, it is worth using a loose-heel template if you are tight for space and needing short turnouts.

Cosmetic fishplates could then be added to the flexible rail to represent the loose-heel joint. At any one time 50% of them will be correctly positioned. :)

cheers,

Martin.

53rd message | this message only posted: 29 Jul 2019 13:09
David Higgs
Bletchley, United Kingdom

view images in gallery
view images as slides
Hi Martin,

Thank you for your reply.

All noted on the position of the "Rail Joint" and the "flange clearance"

As my Templot plan is near completion I will stick with the Loose Heel Template.
Regards

David

This is topic ID = 3387     Page created at 03:07 (local time) Page:  First Page Previous Page  1  2     
You can type a quick reply to this topic here.

Click in the box to begin.

But to reply to an individual message, or to include images, attachments and formatted text, use the reply buttons on each message above.

To start a new topic in this forum, click the Start new topic button below.
To start a new topic in a different forum, click the Forum Jump drop-down list below.

Start new topic 

click to jump to a different forum:     Back to top of page

Templot Club > Forums > Trackbuilding topics > Modelling GWR loose heel switches in 4mm
about Templot Club

list recently active topics Templot Companion - User Guide - A-Z Index Templot Explained for beginners Please click: important information for new members and first-time visitors.
indexing link for search engines

back to top of page

Please read this important note about copyright: Unless stated otherwise, all the files submitted to this web site are copyright and the property of the respective contributor. You are welcome to use them for your own personal non-commercial purposes, and in your messages on this web site. If you want to publish any of this material elsewhere or use it commercially, you must first obtain the owner's permission to do so.

The small print: All material submitted to this web site is the responsibility of the respective contributor. By submitting material to this web site you acknowledge that you accept full responsibility for the material submitted. The owner of this web site is not responsible for any content displayed here other than his own contributions. The owner of this web site may edit, modify or remove any content at any time without giving notice or reason.
Problems with this web site? Contact webmaster@templot.com.   This web site uses cookies: click for information.  
© 2019