topic: 3388Mixing DIY pointwork and e.g. Peco or Lenz 0 Gauge tracks
author remove search highlighting

posted: 15 Feb 2019 00:15

Stefan Sczekalla

click the date to link to this post
click member name to view archived images
view images in gallery view images as slides
Hi,
first - I need to apologize, - I'm not a native speaker and a lot of technical terms are not common to me in english. 

I' trying do design a track-plan / layout using rtr turnouts made by Lenz(Peco)  Code 143. Due to some constraints I will have to mix them with some - i have to build by my own. 

In Germany we have a kind of different way how timber is alligned also some rules/policies state that there have to be two timbers together.

1, are there by any chance predefined Lenz/Peco turnout templates ?
2. (how) can I add "double-timber" ?
3. can I tell templot to layout the timber within a turnout how its usualy done in germany?

Many thanks in advance,
Stefan 

posted: 15 Feb 2019 03:04

Martin Wynne

West Of The Severn - United Kingdom

Hi Stefan,

Welcome to Templot Club. :)

Yes, you can create customized templates in Templot matching almost any conventional track, including double-timbers. However customizing templates does need a good knowledge of Templot's many functions, and there is often more than one way of achieving the desired result.

As you probably know, the defaults in Templot are based on UK track practice. I have seen some pictures of German pointwork with double timbers, but I can't find any just now, and I don't recall seeing any dimensioned drawings of double-timbered turnouts.

If you can provide such references, it will be easier to suggest ways of replicating them in Templot.

cheers,

Martin.

posted: 22 Feb 2019 21:55

roythebus

Aldington Frith, Ashford, Kent - United Kingdom

May be easier to ask the German railway society in the UK if anyone can help? I used to be a member of that but not any more.

posted: 24 Feb 2019 08:59

RogerW

Northampton - United Kingdom

Stefan Sczekalla wrote:
Hi,
first - I need to apologize, - I'm not a native speaker and a lot of technical terms are not common to me in english. 

I' trying do design a track-plan / layout using rtr turnouts made by Lenz(Peco)  Code 143. Due to some constraints I will have to mix them with some - i have to build by my own. 

In Germany we have a kind of different way how timber is alligned also some rules/policies state that there have to be two timbers together.

3. can I tell templot to layout the timber within a turnout how its usualy done in germany?

Many thanks in advance,
Stefan

My German is very limited but I do have a knowledge of some railway and electronics topics.
I would search for diagrams and help via the Spur Null Magazin in German.
They are the best site that I have found for practical technical work.
http://www.spurnull-magazin.de/
RogerW

posted: 24 Feb 2019 11:36

Hayfield

United Kingdom

Stefan Sczekalla wrote:
Hi,

Many thanks in advance,
Stefan 
Stefan
I have waited to see if more learned members answer you, I will approach the question another away which may help

Templot can produce a custom designed template (plan) to a non (UK) standard design timbers can be changed in their size, position and additional timbers added

Simple answers to your questions

1/ For Peco probably yes
2/ Yes
3/ Yes

To help us advise you how to do it, please could you upload a photo or plan showing the German style you wish to copy, this will allow us to advise appropriately

John

posted: 27 Feb 2019 08:49

Stefan Sczekalla

Thanks a lot all for your interest and assitance ! 

after getting ab better idea about "what is what" .... ( but I'm possibly still wrong ... :( )

3579_270304_030000000.png3579_270304_030000000.png
Based on this Turnout (Sold by Lenz # 45032-01 - made by Peco )  ...

I was trying to setup a custom switch to derive further templates form (but receiving Error 98)
( I took the mesurements - converted them to "inch" and multiplied them by 45 to get the values which i assume, templot expects ( b'cause ... i expect it using 1:1 data as a basis )  

I'd setup 0-NEM as gauge (but I think it's not important while setting up a custom switch)
Steps:
1. I'd chose curved switch. 
2. lead length to heel (incl Planning )  - (3..5) -> 4.5 inch * 45 =  202,5"
3. Offset (between Stock rail and switch Blade at heel (5) .14" x 45 -> 6.3"  
4. Swich radius ( model 914mm (6) -> ( 91.4cm / 2.54 = 36" *45 ) -> 1620"
5. Stock-railjoint to toe (1..2) - 1" x 45 -> 45"
6. length of swich rail (blade)  - I used the same value like i used in Step 1 -> 202.5"
7. length of stock-rail from joint (1) ... I choosed 6" ( shortly after the milling in the stock rail ends near (5))  -> 270"

.... but there seems to be something wrong in my assumptions - templot tell's me that these data is unusable ... error code 98.

I'm wrong - but where ? 

Last edited on 27 Feb 2019 09:14 by Stefan Sczekalla
posted: 27 Feb 2019 18:35

Martin Wynne

Stefan Sczekalla wrote:
Hi Stefan,

Thanks for that. Now we know what we are talking about. I found some dimensions here:

http://www.aandhmodels.co.uk/45032-manual-turnout-rh-1125-degrees-1515-p.asp

and a template image which can be used in Templot as a guide:

45032-manual-turnout-r-h-11.25-degrees-1515-p.jpg45032-manual-turnout-r-h-11.25-degrees-1515-p.jpg

Error 98 means that either the switch tip deflection angle or the switch heel angle is calculating negative.

I will get back to you shortly with some updated dimensions. First I need to double-check that on German Windows Templot is correctly recognising your comma character as the decimal separator (in the UK it is a dot character).

Perhaps you could clarify why you want this template? It could be:

1. you want to exactly replicate the Lenz turnout? or

2. you want to create a drop-in replacement on the same footprint (exit locations) but not necessarily exactly matching the Lenz turnout internally? or

3. you want to build some matching pointwork which is not available from Lenz, such as curved turnouts? or

4. something else?

The reason for asking is that generally RTR turnouts such as Peco, Lenz, etc. are based on set-track geometry having little correspondence to prototype designs. If you are handbuilding track there is no obvious reason to match the RTR geometry, it is better to base your designs on prototype practice. For example the Lenz crossing angle is 11.25 degrees (1/32nd of a circle). No prototype track uses such an angle.

cheers,

Martin.

posted: 27 Feb 2019 19:18

Martin Wynne

p.s. well that's a relief. :)

I just changed my Windows7 system to Germany as the Windows Locale. Templot is correctly showing and accepting a comma as the decimal separator.

It must be getting on for 20 years since I last thought to check that. I remember that it caused some issues in the early days, and there was also a problem in generating DXF files.

Martin.

posted: 27 Feb 2019 20:29

Martin Wynne

Hi Stefan,

If you are concerned only with a drop-in replacement, you can get a very close match using a standard 9ft straight switch:

2_271516_390000000.png2_271516_390000000.png

I flipped the turnout to left-hand for easier design. I negated the image and reduced it to low contrast for easier working over it. I scaled it to the specified length 455.39mm (specifying RTR to 1/100th of a mm takes a bit of believing).

I set the 11.25 deg V-crossing angle (prefix with a letter k to enter angles in degrees, i.e. I entered k11.25).

That is an angle of 1:5.03 RAM.

I then set the lead length to match using SHIFT+F11 adjust V-crossing entry straight mouse action.

And set the exit lengths as required.

I adjusted the check rail and wing rail ends to match.

If this is a sufficient match, I will do the timber shoving for you to match the original.

Or do you want to create an exact match to the Lenz design (so far as it can be determined)?

p.s. there is a topic about creating custom switches at:

topic 1129

cheers,

Martin.

posted: 27 Feb 2019 22:26

Stefan Sczekalla

Hello Martin,
2.)  & 3.)   

While bulidng layouts as close as possible as a small replica of the reality would be my preferred way of modelrailroading - I have to deal with the available space, girlfriend, job, other hobbies and the lack of time.  

For convenience purposes I decided to use RTR Turnout & Tracks where possible,  welcoming the much smaler space these "non-proto" angles consume. But I too decided to build some still needed e.g curved diamond-crossings, curved turnouts, y-turnouts  build by my own to get a smoother layout. 

So my  Idea was to work with Lenz RTR templates (unmodified)  and where they do not fit to my layout-ideas ... well ... I thought about bending or modifying them to get the drawings for the hand-laid pointwork . 

What Du you think about the custom-switch data I tried to use - did I made the correct asumptions? 

By the way - while entering the data I was using the dot (".") as decimal seperator - does possibly the error arose because templot was expecting "aaa,bb" instead the entered "aaa.bb"  ?

Thanks for your help!

Kind regards, 
Stefan

posted: 27 Feb 2019 22:39

Stefan Sczekalla

Martin Wynne wrote:
Hi Stefan,

If you are concerned only with a drop-in replacement, you can get a very close match using a standard 9ft straight switch:

2_271516_390000000.png2_271516_390000000.png

I flipped the turnout to left-hand for easier design. I negated the image and reduced it to low contrast for easier working over it. I scaled it to the specified length 455.39mm (specifying RTR to 1/100th of a mm takes a bit of believing).

I set the 11.25 deg V-crossing angle (prefix with a letter k to enter angles in degrees, i.e. I entered k11.25).

That is an angle of 1:5.03 RAM.

I then set the lead length to match using SHIFT+F11 adjust V-crossing entry straight mouse action.

And set the exit lengths as required.

I adjusted the check rail and wing rail ends to match.

If this is a sufficient match, I will do the timber shoving for you to match the original.

Or do you want to create an exact match to the Lenz design (so far as it can be determined)?

p.s. there is a topic about creating custom switches at:

topic 1129

cheers,

Martin.

Wow - the drawing looks good - your right 1/100 mm :-)  - while it is not neccesary for the intended use of the template right now - can I learn how to shove the sleepers to the right place & angle? 

The 9ft standard ... where (to what dimension)  do th "9ft" (approx 2.70m) belongs to? 

AIso will take a look at the toppic you suggested.

Cheers !

posted: 27 Feb 2019 23:05

Martin Wynne

Stefan Sczekalla wrote:
So my Idea was to work with Lenz RTR templates (unmodified) and where they do not fit to my layout-ideas ... well ... I thought about bending or modifying them to get the drawings for the hand-laid pointwork.
Hi Stefan,

For the handbuilt pointwork I suggest disregarding the Lenz templates and creating what you want from prototype designs. You can make them just as short as the Lenz versions if necessary, or even more space-saving if you tweak the angles and radii.

In saying that, I'm at a disadvantage in knowing very little about your German prototype track.

What do you think about the custom-switch data I tried to use - did I made the correct assumptions?

I will write more about that shortly. But as it is based on Peco/Lenz non-prototypical set-track, I'm not clear what would be gained by copying it exactly?

By the way - while entering the data I was using the dot (".") as decimal seperator - does possibly the error arose because templot was expecting "aaa,bb" instead the entered "aaa.bb" ?

That could very possibly explain the errors. I don't have any experience of using German Windows, but you need to enter data in the same format as that in which Templot is displaying it.

When a comma is used as the decimal separator, a dot is usually the thousands indicator.

p.s. can you clarify whether your scale is 1:45 or 7mm/ft (1:43.54)?

cheers,

Martin.

posted: 27 Feb 2019 23:27

Martin Wynne

Stefan Sczekalla wrote:
while it is not necessary for the intended use of the template right now - can I learn how to shove the sleepers to the right place & angle?
Hi Stefan,

Sure. I will make you a bit of video. But first I need to get the details straight. For example 1:45 scale or 1:43.54?

The 9ft dimension is the lead length to the virtual heel position (the red dimension below). Note that the heel offset is measured from one rail gauge-face to the other gauge-face, not over, or between the rails.

2_231113_100000000.png2_231113_100000000.png

They are design dimensions, they can't necessarily be seen directly on the rails. The 9ft switch is a standard pre-set in Templot, you don't need to know any dimensions:

2_271819_180000000.png2_271819_180000000.png

cheers,

Martin.

posted: 27 Feb 2019 23:54

Rob Manchester

Manchester - United Kingdom

Hi Martin,

As far as I know all the German O scale items are 1:45 scale. I used to dabble in Lenz O scale when they first came out.

Here is the Lenz pdf catalogue - page 22 has the track - to 32mm gauge.

Rob

posted: 28 Feb 2019 00:07

Martin Wynne

Rob Manchester wrote:
As far as I know all the German O scale items are 1:45 scale. I used to dabble in Lenz O scale when they first came out.
Hi Rob,

Thanks.

What's puzzling me is that the only 1:45 in the Templot gauge list is Proto-45.

All the rest is 7mm/ft 1:43.54 including "Euro NEM 43".

What I do remember when compiling the list years ago was that it was infuriatingly difficult to get definitive data on the European standards. Even just googling now I can't find the answers. For example I have got the flangeway for 0-NEM as 2.15mm. Where did that come from? It's too wide to be sensible for scale models.

cheers,

Martin.

posted: 28 Feb 2019 01:12

Rob Manchester

Martin,

Try this pdf file - MOROP Standards for 32mm Gauge

Rob

posted: 28 Feb 2019 11:01

Martin Wynne

Rob Manchester wrote:
Try this pdf file - MOROP Standards for 32mm Gauge
Thanks Rob. So that's:

Check Gauge 30.0mm (same as 0-MF)

Flangeway 2.0mm

Track Gauge 32.0mm

Scale: 1:45

It seems that it's missing from the Templot list. :(  It's strange that no-one has ever mentioned it.

Will be in the next program update:

2_280532_270000000.png2_280532_270000000.png

I have set the default track centres at 114.3mm to match the Lenz catalogue, although that seems excessively wide (5143.5mm, 16ft-10.5in centres).

This page:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Track_spacing

suggests the traditional German spacing has been 3800mm (84.44mm model), increased to 4000mm (88.89mm model) on modern/fast main lines.

cheers,

Martin.

posted: 28 Feb 2019 20:39

Rob Manchester

Hi Martin,

Happy to be of service :D

While the longest coach listed in the Lenz catalogue is 482mm there could in theory be models from other makers of prototypes upto 28 metres long ( model ~ 620mm long ). Bearing in mind the ~900mm curves that Lenz produce there will be a silly looking amount of swing. Keeping coaches that long coupled together may also be an issue on those curves.

Rob

posted: 28 Feb 2019 22:45

Stefan Sczekalla

Martin Wynne wrote:

For the handbuilt pointwork I suggest disregarding the Lenz templates and creating what you want from prototype designs. You can make them just as short as the Lenz versions if necessary, or even more space-saving if you tweak the angles and radi
What would be the benefit - instead of using the up-scaled Lenz/Peco outlines? 
Please keep in mind, that using "RTR" material is important to me, despite of its lesser "close to reality" beeing.

But as it is based on Peco/Lenz non-prototypical set-track, I'm not clear what would be gained by copying it exactly?

Your right - an exact copy is not neccesary - just the exits.

Desinging a custom swich using the by Lenz given (MOROP)  empirical determined dimensions seems to promise (in my opinion) the posibility to build custom turnouts with a nearly equal reliability - like she is known for the given and available Lenz turnouts 

can you clarify whether your scale is 1:45 or 7mm/ft (1:43.54)?

Roling Stock is 1:45.

posted: 28 Feb 2019 23:21

Stefan Sczekalla

Just to add real-world measurements using a vernier caliper:

(1) : 32.20mm  ( also measured on other curved tracks )

(2) :   1.80mm
(3) :   1.80mm  ( on both siedes of the frog)
(4) :   1.90mm 

(5) :  32.00mm ( also used on simple straight tracks )  

I expect the curved tracks being .20mm more wide to fix the wheel/track problems which arise due to the realy small radii ( here 914mm ) 

3579_281813_080000000.png3579_281813_080000000.png

cheers,

Stefan
Last edited on 28 Feb 2019 23:22 by Stefan Sczekalla
posted: 1 Mar 2019 05:40

Martin Wynne

Stefan Sczekalla wrote:
What would be the benefit - instead of using the up-scaled Lenz/Peco outlines? 
Please keep in mind, that using "RTR" material is important to me, despite of its lesser "close to reality" being.
Hi Stefan,

You haven't posted your intended track plan, so it is difficult to know the sort of layout you are building, your space available, track radii, etc.

But generally, if you base your designs on prototype practice rather than RTR set-track, you will be able to get more in the available space, and use easier radii, etc. For example, unless you will be using extremely sharp unrealistic curves, the 114.3mm Lenz track spacing is much greater than needed and will waste a lot of space for crossovers, etc. Likewise the 11.25 degree crossing angle (1:5) is much shorter than is sensible for running lines, producing massive end-swings on rolling stock, etc. I know that German prototype track makes a lot of use of 1:7 and 1:9 crossing angles.

By ignoring RTR model set-track dimensions and building to prototype designs you can create track formations such as this:

2_010015_090000000.jpg2_010015_090000000.jpg
thanks to Russell Davies

which could never be created from RTR set-track.

Unfortunately, despite much Googling, I haven't been able to find prototype drawings of German turnouts showing the double timbering at rail joints. Perhaps you can help? I'm sure I have seen such drawings and photos in the past, but unfortunately my memory nowadays is useless.

It's easy to find modern drawings like this, but I suspect this is rather longer than you have space for  :)  (and it doesn't have the double timbering):

http://www.gleisbau-welt.de/fileadmin/_processed_/9/4/csm_Weiche_5d6963df42.jpg

cheers,

Martin.

posted: 1 Mar 2019 17:09

Martin Wynne

Hi Stefan,

Here's an illustration of the space saving possible by using more prototypical designs:

2_011152_170000000.png2_011152_170000000.png

You can see that although the upper crossover has a much easier radius, it is actually shorter than a Lenz crossover, and saves a lot of overall space.

If your track plan includes some sharp curves, you would want to increase the spacing a little to ensure a running clearance. But the full Lenz spacing seems excessive.

I don't have any data for German switches, but I guess that the geometry of the GWR curved switches is probably quite close. The upper crossover is created using GWR 10ft switches and 1:6 crossings.

That's still very short for the prototype -- if you have a bit more space you could go for say a GWR 12ft switch and 1:7, like this:

2_011203_210000000.png2_011203_210000000.png

cheers,

Martin.

posted: 2 Mar 2019 08:14

RogerW

Northampton - United Kingdom

The MOROP.de gives 95mm as the recognised running lines spacing for 0 scale modular layouts.

For the 610mm long Rivarossi main line coaches I seem to remember 100mm spacing with an inner curve of 6ft radius being safe.

Maybe you could confirm that using your "dummy vehicle" part of Templot

See http://www.morop.org/index.php/de/nem-normen.html
Downloadable pdf from this page
NEM 962 F Anlagen-Module Nenngröße 0 - CDZ

posted: 2 Mar 2019 18:06

Rob Manchester

Hi,

Just used the Dummy Vehicle option in Templot to look at the effect of rolling a 28m ( protype ) coach round adjacent tracks with the inner radius being 914mm and the centerline spacing to the outer one being 115mm as implied in the Lenz catalogue.

2001_021305_130000000.jpg2001_021305_130000000.jpg

Looks like there may be some sense in the wide spacing although not sure anybody will be building it like that :(

Rob

posted: 2 Mar 2019 19:41

Martin Wynne

RogerW wrote:
The MOROP.de gives 95mm as the recognised running lines spacing for 0 scale modular layouts.
See http://www.morop.org/index.php/de/nem-normen.html

Downloadable pdf from this page: NEM 962 F Anlagen-Module Nenngröße 0 - CDZ
Thanks Roger.

But that just tips me into the mass of conflicting dimensions which I remember when originally compiling the gauge list for non-UK gauges.

The 95mm dimension appears to apply for modular layouts only.

However, modular layouts using finescale handbuilt track are all but unknown to me -- I don't think I have ever seen one.

For straight track outside stations the spacing is given as 89mm centres which is presumably rounded from prototype 4-metre centres at 1:45, from NEM 112:

2_021421_470000000.png2_021421_470000000.png

For curves a range of dimensions is given, for vehicle groups A , B , C:

2_021424_270000000.png2_021424_270000000.png

No-one sensibly builds 0 gauge below about 1400mm (4ft-6in) radius for running lines, except perhaps for industrial layouts -- and there double-track would be unusual.

All this stuff seems more applicable to AnyRail than Templot -- I would much prefer to start from German prototype data for steam-era branch and secondary lines, rather than from the RTR standards. Unfortunately I don't have that data at present.

cheers,

Martin.

posted: 2 Mar 2019 20:47

Martin Wynne

Rob Manchester wrote:
Hi,

Just used the Dummy Vehicle option in Templot to look at the effect of rolling a 28m ( protype ) coach round adjacent tracks with the inner radius being 914mm and the centerline spacing to the outer one being 115mm as implied in the Lenz catalogue.

2001_021305_130000000.jpg2001_021305_130000000.jpg

Looks like there may be some sense in the wide spacing although not sure anybody will be building it like that :(

Rob
Thanks Rob,

No, I'm sure they won't. Apart from looking daft, buffing and coupling gear looks impossible. :?

cheers,

Martin.

posted: 15 Mar 2019 14:47

Stefan Sczekalla

Stefan Sczekalla wrote:
Thanks a lot all for your interest and assitance ! 

after getting ab better idea about "what is what" .... ( but I'm possibly still wrong ... :( )

3579_270304_030000000.png3579_270304_030000000.png

I was trying to setup a custom switch to derive further templates form (but receiving Error 98)
( I took the mesurements - converted them to "inch" and multiplied them by 45 to get the values which i assume, templot expects ( b'cause ... i expect it using 1:1 data as a basis )  

I'd setup 0-NEM as gauge (but I think it's not important while setting up a custom switch)
Steps:
1. I'd chose curved switch. 
2. lead length to heel (incl Planning )  - (3..5) -> 4.5 inch * 45 =  202,5"
3. Offset (between Stock rail and switch Blade at heel (5) .14" x 45 -> 6.3"  
4. Swich radius ( model 914mm (6) -> ( 91.4cm / 2.54 = 36" *45 ) -> 1620"
5. Stock-railjoint to toe (1..2) - 1" x 45 -> 45"
6. length of swich rail (blade)  - I used the same value like i used in Step 1 -> 202.5"
7. length of stock-rail from joint (1) ... I choosed 6" ( shortly after the milling in the stock rail ends near (5))  -> 270"

.... but there seems to be something wrong in my assumptions - templot tell's me that these data is unusable ... error code 98.

I'm wrong - but where ? 

I must admit, that I'm still curious where I'm wrong -  I tried serveral times to set up a custom switch just to understand the interrelations - without success.

I think I miss one or more constraints which has to be fulfilled.   

posted: 15 Mar 2019 15:27

Martin Wynne

I must admit, that I'm still curious where I'm wrong -  I tried serveral times to set up a custom switch just to understand the interrelations - without success.

I think I miss one or more constraints which has to be fulfilled.
Hi Stefan,

You don't need to do the calculations yourself, Templot can do them for you. If you are entering data measured from the model (in mm), just prefix it with the letter s (for scale).

(provided you have set your model scale first, e.g. 1:45)

i.e. if the heel offset measures 5.3mm, just enter s5.3

This works anywhere in Templot when asked for full-size data in inches, not only for custom switches.

I'm handicapped by not having one of your turnouts to hand. However I do have a Peco 1:43.5 bullhead turnout, which I suspect may be very similar in dimensions. I shall try creating a matching custom switch, and compare with your settings. I will post again shortly with some results.

But I can only repeat that this is an extremely daft thing to do. There is no rhyme or reason to try to copy a Peco switch if you are building from scratch. It would be much, much, better to use a prototype-based switch for model building. There are several already set up in Templot, or you could copy a German one if you have some prototype drawings available. The Peco switches are designed for mass-production and extreme RTR usage, not to be a proper model of anything.

cheers,

Martin.

posted: 15 Mar 2019 16:07

Stefan Sczekalla

Hi Martin,

thanks a lot for your patience!!!

the Lenz turnout is approx 1:5, radius 1649.39mm (!!!) , straight frog,  from joint to toe 1"( where the turnout starts in the left and the start of the switch-blade) , curved switchblades and flat-bottom-profile (code 143 as available by Peco) .

I was formerly mistaken and tried to use a way too small wrong radius (914mm) !!!!

cheers, Stefan

By the way - where can I read more about peg vs notch.

Last edited on 15 Mar 2019 16:09 by Stefan Sczekalla
posted: 15 Mar 2019 16:31

Martin Wynne

Stefan Sczekalla wrote:
By the way - where can I read more about peg vs notch.
Hi Stefan,

see:

http://www.templot.com/martweb/gs_geometry.htm

Sorry, I can't remember if this is still currently linked from the Companion.

in fact, I can't remember anything. :(

cheers,

Martin.

posted: 15 Mar 2019 21:50

Stefan Sczekalla

:? Exhausted due to too many constructon zones ? 

Martin Wynne wrote:
in fact, I can't remember anything. :(

posted: 15 Mar 2019 23:49

Martin Wynne

Stefan Sczekalla wrote:
:? Exhausted due to too many construction zones ?
Hi Stefan,

No, too many years. What was it you were asking about?  :)  Oh yes...

In my experience you can safely ignore any radius specified by Peco.

This is probably somewhere near. It is the best I can do without an actual turnout in my hand. I took the dimensions from the rule you helpfully included in your photo:

2_151827_020000001.png2_151827_020000001.png

Here are the settings I ended up with. Note the s prefix to enter model dimensions in mm:

2_151827_020000000.png2_151827_020000000.png

The bottom 2 dimensions are used only to position the rail joint marks on the template. You can ignore them for the purpose of creating the geometry.

What you do is start with a turnout of the required crossing angle (1:5) and set out* the position of the required blunt nose -- I guessed 320mm overall from your photo. Then keep trying a different curved switch radius until you get a match to the blunt nose position. You can tweak it by adjusting the crossing entry straight.

If you enter your actual measurements in place of my guesses, you should end up with a reasonable match. (The heel offset is measured running-edge to running-edge, NOT over or between the rails.)

Bear in mind that this is not the intended way of using Templot, hence the clunky method of trial and error. The intended method is that you start with known prototype dimensions, not model dimensions.

*it's convenient to use background shapes for that -- in this case a vertical line at x=320mm.

cheers,

Martin.

posted: 16 Mar 2019 14:33

Godfrey Earnshaw

Crawley - United Kingdom

Hi Martin,
Where does that data panel reside?

Thanks

Godders

posted: 16 Mar 2019 14:48

Martin Wynne

Godfrey Earnshaw wrote:
Where does that data panel reside?
Hi Godders,

template > switch settings...

then:

2_160943_250000000.png2_160943_250000000.png

Several option dialogs appear in sequence, with help notes.

The one shown for Stefan's switch is for curved switches. The details vary for other types of switch. More about types of switches at:

http://templot.com/companion/real_track.php

cheers,

Martin.

posted: 18 Mar 2019 20:53

Stefan Sczekalla

Dear Martin,

thanks - this was the "Rosetta-Stone" I was looking for.

BTW: you know about ginseng and micronutrients to keep your Brain up and running?

cheers, Stefan

posted: 18 Mar 2019 21:05

Martin Wynne

Stefan Sczekalla wrote:
BTW: you know about ginseng and micronutrients to keep your Brain up and running?
Thanks Stefan.

No, I didn't know that. My preference is for a nice boiled egg and a packet of chocolate raisins.

(Not at the same time.) :)

cheers,

Martin.

posted: 20 Mar 2019 20:57

roythebus

Aldington Frith, Ashford, Kent - United Kingdom

For prototype dimensions, there were a number of articles in Modelbahn Eisenbahn magazine about 15 years ago. Maybe try the UK German Railway Society or even Brian Harrap may be able to help.
Remember German check rails are not usually made of rail but a chunky cast (I think) angle section as used on modern high speed lines.

Templot Club > Forums > Baffled beginners > Mixing DIY pointwork and e.g. Peco or Lenz 0 Gauge tracks
about Templot Club

Templot Companion - User Guide - A-Z Index Templot Explained for beginners Please click: important information for new members and first-time visitors.
indexing link for search engines

back to top of page

Please read this important note about copyright: Unless stated otherwise, all the files submitted to this web site are copyright and the property of the respective contributor. You are welcome to use them for your own personal non-commercial purposes, and in your messages on this web site. If you want to publish any of this material elsewhere or use it commercially, you must first obtain the owner's permission to do so.
The small print: All material submitted to this web site is the responsibility of the respective contributor. By submitting material to this web site you acknowledge that you accept full responsibility for the material submitted. The owner of this web site is not responsible for any content displayed here other than his own contributions. The owner of this web site may edit, modify or remove any content at any time without giving notice or reason. Problems with this web site? Contact webmaster@templot.com.   This web site uses cookies: click for information.  
© 2020