topic: 3399Radio Paradise photo uploads
author remove search highlighting

posted: 22 Mar 2019 21:45

Martin Wynne

West Of The Severn - United Kingdom

click the date to link to this post
click member name to view archived images
view images in gallery view images as slides
It's been a while since I last submitted any images to Radio Paradise, so I thought I would find a few from recent outings, and create a topic for them here.

Chocolate-boxy won't do, strong visual content is wanted. They must also be 16:9 landscape aspect ratio, which sometimes rules out images I might otherwise consider sending. 

Mike usually accepts about 40% of the ones I submit, but I never manage to predict which ones they will be. :?  So over to you -- 8 images below just submitted. I will post the results when I get the email back. :)

He has over 63,000 images in his database, of which only a couple of hundred are mine. So I'm quite chuffed when I see one of mine being used -- on one day recently I noticed 3 of mine in the space of a couple of hours.

Here's the link for the Radio Paradise slide show (no ads):

http://legacy.radioparadise.com/rp_2s.php

There is also a mobile App, and a channel on Smart TVs (which I tend to leave running).

Here's the link if you would like to submit some of your own images:

http://legacy.radioparadise.com/image_upload.php

Here's the RP main page:

http://www.radioparadise.com/home

knightwick_1920_rp.jpgknightwick_1920_rp.jpg

far_forest_1920_rp.jpgfar_forest_1920_rp.jpg

dunley_sheep_1920_rp.jpgdunley_sheep_1920_rp.jpg

bredon_bike_1920_rp.jpgbredon_bike_1920_rp.jpg

vinegar_works_1920_rp.jpgvinegar_works_1920_rp.jpg

summer_hill_xing_1920_rp.jpgsummer_hill_xing_1920_rp.jpg

nt_stile_1920_rp.jpgnt_stile_1920_rp.jpg

cheveridge_farm_1920_rp.jpgcheveridge_farm_1920_rp.jpg

(see also: topic 3228 - message 26850 )

cheers,

Martin.

posted: 23 Mar 2019 10:10

Martin Wynne

Just got the email back from Mike at RP -- par for the course, 3 images accepted out of the 8 submitted.

Accepted numbers 1, 6, 7. Others declined.

It's understandable with hindsight of course. Lots of songs about bridges and walks in the woods. Not so many about old vinegar works.

But if you watch RP for long, you can't help noticing a liking for derelict buildings and rusty farm equipment, so worth a try.

Compared with some of the stunning images on RP, mine are somewhat -- what's the word, "pedestrian"? :)

So it's pleasing to have any of them accepted. But that's what I like about RP -- the pictures are reviewed by a human, they don't accept anything goes, as the usual photo sharing sites.

I enjoy taking photos for their own sake, but it's a bonus to know that some of them are being seen by the whole world. Yours too?

cheers,

Martin.

posted: 24 Mar 2019 05:14

Martin Wynne

Another 6 submitted to RP. Any guesses?

p_w_heap_1920_rp.jpgp_w_heap_1920_rp.jpg

pump_rooms_1920_rp.jpgpump_rooms_1920_rp.jpg

narrow_boat_1920_rp.jpgnarrow_boat_1920_rp.jpg

south_parade_1920_rp.jpgsouth_parade_1920_rp.jpg

farm_equip_1920_rp.jpgfarm_equip_1920_rp.jpg

brockhampton_fence_1920_rp.jpgbrockhampton_fence_1920_rp.jpg

cheers,

Martin.

posted: 24 Mar 2019 12:59

Martin Wynne

A bit better that time. 4 out of 6 accepted. :)

Accepted:  1, 2, 3, 5.

Declined:   4, 6.

Martin.

posted: 24 Mar 2019 13:38

Rob Manchester

Manchester - United Kingdom

Hi Martin,

I would have said no.1 was a certainty, even if he didn't understand what he was looking at. A nice shot of Worcester cathederal would probably be a winner but your shot is too cluttered. Each shot has it's merits although no.2 is a rather odd building that wouldn't find favour with many people.

Looks like maybe some nice weather this week if the BBC have the forecast right - time for some walking :)

Rob

posted: 24 Mar 2019 14:43

Martin Wynne

Rob Manchester wrote:
I would have said no.1 was a certainty, even if he didn't understand what he was looking at. A nice shot of Worcester cathedral would probably be a winner but your shot is too cluttered. Each shot has it's merits although no.2 is a rather odd building that wouldn't find favour with many people.

Looks like maybe some nice weather this week if the BBC have the forecast right - time for some walking :)
Thanks Rob.

It was intended to look cluttered. :) The challenge was to get it to 16:9, hence the excess of brickwork on the left. Maybe I'll try again with a closer crop.

There are a million nice photos of Worcester Cathedral out there, so it's unlikely the world needs another one from me. Maybe RP needs one, but he tends to reject anything too "nice". I did post a more conventional view in the other topic, see:

topic 3228 - message 25612

The building is Tenbury Wells Pump Rooms. I think the whole idea was to look a bit odd -- a flamboyance of corrugated iron. For most of my life it was a rusting hulk, but it was restored a few years ago. See:

http://www.tenburytown.org.uk/council-facilities/the-pump-rooms.html

Yes, the sun is shining, and I'm putting my boots on right now. :)

cheers,

Martin.

posted: 25 Mar 2019 00:16

Rob Manchester

Martin Wynne wrote:
Another 6 submitted to RP. Any guesses?

p_w_heap_1920_rp.jpgp_w_heap_1920_rp.jpg

cheers,

Martin.
Now I know what the tapered pot is in the photo, I had been wondering. See here - track welding

Rob

posted: 25 Mar 2019 00:39

Martin Wynne

Thanks Rob.

But by "any guesses?" I meant whether they would be accepted on RP. :)

How about this one:

little_heref_bridge_1920_rp.jpglittle_heref_bridge_1920_rp.jpg

(Bridge reflected over the footings of an earlier bridge. Little Hereford, rebuilt 1924.)

cheers,

Martin.

posted: 25 Mar 2019 00:54

Rob Manchester

Hi Martin,

Yes, I knew you weren't asking for an ID of the photo contents but I had been wondering about the contents of the picture until I came across the YouTube video by chance.

Yes, I like the river bridge shot although that maybe because of my angling activities rather than the merits of the camera work. Hard to know what the guy at RP is after - I took a look this afternoon and there are some odd shots on there.

Rob

posted: 25 Mar 2019 01:51

Martin Wynne

Rob Manchester wrote:
Hi Martin,

Yes, I knew you weren't asking for an ID of the photo contents but I had been wondering about the contents of the picture until I came across the YouTube video by chance.

Yes, I like the river bridge shot although that maybe because of my angling activities rather than the merits of the camera work. Hard to know what the guy at RP is after - I took a look this afternoon and there are some odd shots on there.

Rob
Hi Rob,

Yes, it's a strange mix of images on RP. According to his upload page, he is particularly looking for landscape, nature, and abstract images. When I first discovered RP about 5 years ago they were mostly landscape, which is why I started contributing. The number of images in the database has more than tripled since then, and they are now much more varied. He also says "sets of images on a particular theme or tied to a specific song are particularly welcome" -- obviously not all songs are about landscape, nature or abstract subjects. I get the impression that in recent times the number of contributors has fallen, and he is importing a lot of images from other online sites such as Pixabay.

Google is sometimes amazing. I was minded to look for the details of the rebuilding of Little Hereford bridge in 1924, and up comes:

"At the annual meeting of the Herefordshire County Council the Roads Committee reported that it had considered the estimates for the coming year with regard to efficiency and without increasing the rates. Their first estimate was £87,174, as compared with £86,877 in the previous year, and in the second estimate the committee suggested, as an alternative and without increasing the rate, obtaining a grant of £37,500 from the Ministry and borrowing £12,500 (to be repaid within five years), thus enabling £50,000 to be spent in strengthening foundations and improving surfaces. With regard to the Little Hereford Bridge, the committee felt that it would be unwise to spend £2,000 on repairs, and therefore it recommended the erection of a new bridge at a probable cost of about £5,000."

That came from an archive of Commercial Motor magazine, dated May 1923:

http://archive.commercialmotor.com/article/1st-may-1923/8/wheels-of-industry

cheers,

Martin.

posted: 17 Jun 2019 14:54

Stephen Taylor

The web never ceases to surprise me with it's powers of extreme serendipity. I wandered onto this thread looking at photos, and discovered Radio Paradise....... I've hardly switched it off since.... Thanks for tossing a coin in the well Martin... :-)

posted: 17 Jun 2019 21:35

Martin Wynne

Stephen Taylor wrote:
The web never ceases to surprise me with it's powers of extreme serendipity. I wandered onto this thread looking at photos, and discovered Radio Paradise....... I've hardly switched it off since.... Thanks for tossing a coin in the well Martin... :-)
Hi Stephen,

Welcome to Templot Club. :)

It's been a while since my last submissions to RP, so you have nudged me to see if I can find a few from recent outings which Mike might like. Or not. Place your bets. :?

token_exchange_1920_rp.jpgtoken_exchange_1920_rp.jpg

swans_1920_rp.jpgswans_1920_rp.jpg

gravestones_1920_rp.jpggravestones_1920_rp.jpg

anglers_1920_rp.jpganglers_1920_rp.jpg

tudor_rose_1920_rp.jpgtudor_rose_1920_rp.jpg

saltmarshe_1920_rp.jpgsaltmarshe_1920_rp.jpg

kremlin_1920_rp.jpgkremlin_1920_rp.jpg

brockhampton_out_1920_rp.jpgbrockhampton_out_1920_rp.jpg

I smiled when I saw that sign in the last one. On the other side of that wall is a graveyard. An arrow pointing to the sky. :)

Martin.

posted: 18 Jun 2019 00:48

Martin Wynne

Well that was quick from Mike at RP.

Accepted: 1, 2, 3, 6, 8.

Declined: 4, 5, 7.

5 images accepted out of 8 submitted is better than my usual result, so I'm happy about that. :)

cheers,

Martin.

posted: 18 Jun 2019 01:44

Rob Manchester

Well done Martin. I guess he didn't like the idea of dipping his sandals in the wash tank on pic 4 :?

What's the story behind the building in number 6 ?

My fav would be number 1 - although even better if it was a class 37.

You still liking the Fuji X100 ?

Rob

posted: 18 Jun 2019 04:30

Andrew Barrowman

USA

Martin Wynne wrote:

Declined: 4, 5, 7.

Perhaps Mike doesn't care for modern cars?

posted: 18 Jun 2019 06:13

Martin Wynne

Rob Manchester wrote:
Well done Martin. I guess he didn't like the idea of dipping his sandals in the wash tank on pic 4 :?

What's the story behind the building in number 6 ?

My fav would be number 1 - although even better if it was a class 37.

You still liking the Fuji X100 ?
Thanks Rob.

The house is the West Lodge to the former Saltmarshe Estate near Bromyard, Herefordshire. camera at X:

saltmarshe_map.jpgsaltmarshe_map.jpg

map at: http://maps.nls.uk/view/120895561#zoom=4&lat=9540&lon=11895&layers=BT

The estate was sold and broken up in 1953, the main house Saltmarshe Castle being demolished soon after:

http://www.visitoruk.com/GreatMalvern/saltmarshe-C592-V30213.html

http://www.lostheritage.org.uk/houses/lh_herefordshire_saltmarshecastle_info_gallery.html

sale catalogue listing of the properties:

http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/b7db15ff-b9b6-4ae5-ac13-03074de8c73f

The main site is now a Holiday Caravan Park:

saltmarshe_caravans_1280x640.jpgsaltmarshe_caravans_1280x640.jpg

Sorry I don't know anything about the history of the West Lodge (just off to the left in the above pic). There were several other lodges, see the list. Here's the North Lodge:

http://goo.gl/maps/UzmM8tVpCwY6FqAE8

Yes, I'm still very pleased with the X100F. I wish my eyesight was a bit better so that I could make full use of the manual focusing functions. The one feature that would make it a dream camera for me would be a proper optical split-image rangefinder in the optical viewfinder. The digital split-image function in the electronic viewfinder is a poor substitute. But in truth the auto-focus is so good and fast that manual is very rarely needed. There is talk in the forums of a new X100 model this year, but the F is rapidly becoming an old friend and I can't see me changing it for years.

Hi Andy,
Perhaps Mike doesn't care for modern cars?
I was surprised he didn't like the Kremlin pic (no. 7). Rob will know what they are. All I know is that they keep getting in the way and rarely arrange themselves neatly. This one should have parked itself 6ft to its right:

hartlebury1_1280x800.jpghartlebury1_1280x800.jpg

cheers,

Martin.   

posted: 18 Jun 2019 19:00

Rob Manchester

Hi Martin,

Thanks for the estate info, very interesting. I am not biting on the car identification prompt :D, I just drive one rather than actually liking the modern stuff.

Rob

posted: 18 Jun 2019 19:13

Andrew Barrowman

USA

Martin Wynne wrote:
All I know is that they keep getting in the way and rarely arrange themselves neatly.

I know what you mean. An otherwise perfect shot ruined.

2983_181412_340000000.jpg2983_181412_340000000.jpg

posted: 19 Jun 2019 22:49

Martin Wynne

As a record, I have created a slide-show video of all my images which have been accepted on Radio Paradise over the last few years.

It can be watched on this link (about 25 minutes): 

http://85a.uk/radio_paradise.mp4

It's just a record, no titles or captions or soundtrack. Some of the images are quite old.

I've seen most of them used on RP over the years, some several times. There are one or two which I don't recall seeing, but Mike assures me that all accepted images are used at some stage. Obviously I don't watch it all the time. :)

cheers,

Martin.

Templot Club > Forums > Off track > Radio Paradise photo uploads
about Templot Club

Templot Companion - User Guide - A-Z Index Templot Explained for beginners Please click: important information for new members and first-time visitors.
indexing link for search engines

back to top of page

Please read this important note about copyright: Unless stated otherwise, all the files submitted to this web site are copyright and the property of the respective contributor. You are welcome to use them for your own personal non-commercial purposes, and in your messages on this web site. If you want to publish any of this material elsewhere or use it commercially, you must first obtain the owner's permission to do so.
The small print: All material submitted to this web site is the responsibility of the respective contributor. By submitting material to this web site you acknowledge that you accept full responsibility for the material submitted. The owner of this web site is not responsible for any content displayed here other than his own contributions. The owner of this web site may edit, modify or remove any content at any time without giving notice or reason. Problems with this web site? Contact webmaster@templot.com.   This web site uses cookies: click for information.  
© 2020