topic: 3427Curved turnout construction
author remove search highlighting

posted: 13 May 2019 12:42

Godfrey Earnshaw

Crawley - United Kingdom

click the date to link to this post
click member name to view archived images
view images in gallery view images as slides
I am about to build a 1:8 turnout and single slip crossover on a curve. The main roads will be about 4000 mm radius. The pair will have regular v-crossings.
Normally I would start the build by placing the crossings and building out from there. I am a little unsure how to align the v-crossing , because it is on a curve. Would someone care to push me in the right direction?

posted: 13 May 2019 16:07

Phil O

Plymouth - United Kingdom

Hi Godfrey,

I have edited this post, see the one below.

Phil
Last edited on 13 May 2019 16:40 by Phil O
posted: 13 May 2019 16:38

Phil O

Hi Godfrey

Forget my last post.

Insert the turnout in your plain track and adjust to the required 1 in 8 using the F5 function. then 'tools' 'make ladder crossover' then 'make regular crossover'. Make the half diamond joining the turnout the control template without saving the control half diamond control template and then 'tools' 'make single slip - same hand'. Finally make each of the half diamonds the control template and use the F4 function to extend the length main road to match the other track.

Cheers

Phil
Last edited on 13 May 2019 17:13 by Phil O
posted: 13 May 2019 17:20

Godfrey Earnshaw

Crawley - United Kingdom

Hi Phil, thank you for replying.

It's not templot I have a problem with, I am pretty competent with that, it's the physical construction that is puzzling me.
In tangent track I wouldn't have a problem but because the vee is regular and the turnout is on a curve I am unsure what to do.

Thank you for answer though.

Cheers

Godders

posted: 13 May 2019 19:52

Phil O

I would still start with the "V"s, you should be able to align them pretty well by eye over the template. Just lately I have been putting a lace making pin in the blunt nose position to aid getting the blunt nose in the correct position as I have been struggling to see it's exact location, I'm part way through a pair of turnouts and a diamond in a half scissors crossing. I hope to finish when I return home from my parents later this week.

posted: 13 May 2019 20:13

Jim Guthrie

United Kingdom

Godfrey,

I would normally start with the "K" crossings of the slip which can be difficult to align if both roads are on a curve. Once these are aligned, then I would lay the stock rails of the slip then position the two crossings of the slip. The turnout should follow on as a fairly straightforward operation. I found out the hard way years ago that when building a turnout and crossing formation that starting with the turnout can cause a lot of problems. :)

Jim.
Last edited on 13 May 2019 20:14 by Jim Guthrie
posted: 13 May 2019 20:21

Martin Wynne

West Of The Severn - United Kingdom

Hi Godders,

For a diamond or slip it's best to start with the vees, as Phil says.

That's because they need to be exactly the correct distance apart, to allow the other rails to align correctly. That also means printing a template for exactly the gauge which you are using. In other words don't try to build 00-SF 16.2mm say, on a 16.5mm gauge diamond-crossing template. Or 0-MF 31.5mm on a 32mm gauge template. Print one for 00-SF or 0-MF, it will be a fraction shorter.

For a regular-pattern V-crossing on a curve, both legs of the vee should be curved to the same radius. Curve them after making the vee, to match the template.

It's worth printing a rails-only copy of the template on tracing paper or OHP film. That can be laid on the rail tops during construction to check the rail alignments.

If no tracing paper to hand, print on plain paper and punch some holes along the printed rails, so that you can see the rail alignments through them.

If no hole wad punch, cut out small patches with a craft knife.

p.s. very useful: http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07BT47968

cheers,

Martin.

posted: 13 May 2019 20:34

Martin Wynne

West Of The Severn - United Kingdom

p.s. well there you go, Jim prefers to start with the K-crossings. :)

My experience is that gauging a vee between existing stock rails is very tricky, especially if it is all on a curve.

There's not really a right way, each builder develops their own preferred approach. Provided the rails exactly match the template, it probably doesn't matter in which order they are fixed.

p.s. you mentioned a 1:8 diamond on a curve. Have you considered building that as a switch-diamond? 1:8 is the prototype limit for fixed K-crossings, and then only if all four legs are straight.

cheers,

Martin.

posted: 13 May 2019 22:18

Godfrey Earnshaw

Crawley - United Kingdom

Martin Wynne wrote:
Hi Godders,
For a regular-pattern V-crossing on a curve, both legs of the vee should be curved to the same radius. Curve them after making the vee, to match the template.

cheers,

Martin.
This is the bit I was really looking for.
Thank you everybody for your advice.
I have designed it as a switched diamond Martin.

Cheers 

Godders.

PS Is there a way to change all template check rails from machined to bent? 
Last edited on 13 May 2019 22:23 by Godfrey Earnshaw
posted: 14 May 2019 09:09

Jim Guthrie

United Kingdom

Martin Wynne wrote:

Martin,

I couldn't suggest it to Godfrey,  but what I can now do for smaller scales is CNC machine a former of both roads through a diamond with curved roads and lay the rails to that.   Then everything lines up with no fuss. :D   Or with you latest developments,  3D print the lot.  :D :D :D

Jim.
Last edited on 14 May 2019 09:12 by Jim Guthrie
posted: 14 May 2019 09:16

Godfrey Earnshaw

Crawley - United Kingdom

Jim Guthrie wrote:
Martin Wynne wrote:

Martin,

I couldn't suggest it to Godfrey,  but what I can now do for smaller scales is CNC machine a former of both roads through a diamond with curved roads and lay the rails to that.   The everything lines up with no fuss. :D   Or with you latest developments,  3D print the lot.  :D :D :D

Jim. 
Why, what have I done wrong Jim that you couldn't suggest it to me?

A hurt Godders

posted: 14 May 2019 11:06

Jim Guthrie

United Kingdom

Godfrey Earnshaw wrote:
Jim Guthrie wrote:
Why, what have I done wrong Jim that you couldn't suggest it to me?

A hurt Godders

Godfrey,

Have you got a CNC milling machine?  :D

Jim.

posted: 15 May 2019 07:29

Godfrey Earnshaw

Crawley - United Kingdom

Good Morning Jim,

No, I haven't but I have picture of a dead horse. Hahaha

Godders

Templot Club > Forums > Trackbuilding topics > Curved turnout construction
about Templot Club

Templot Companion - User Guide - A-Z Index Templot Explained for beginners Please click: important information for new members and first-time visitors.
indexing link for search engines

back to top of page

Please read this important note about copyright: Unless stated otherwise, all the files submitted to this web site are copyright and the property of the respective contributor. You are welcome to use them for your own personal non-commercial purposes, and in your messages on this web site. If you want to publish any of this material elsewhere or use it commercially, you must first obtain the owner's permission to do so.
The small print: All material submitted to this web site is the responsibility of the respective contributor. By submitting material to this web site you acknowledge that you accept full responsibility for the material submitted. The owner of this web site is not responsible for any content displayed here other than his own contributions. The owner of this web site may edit, modify or remove any content at any time without giving notice or reason. Problems with this web site? Contact webmaster@templot.com.   This web site uses cookies: click for information.  
© 2020