topic: 3454the open-source versions of Templot
author remove search highlighting

posted: 11 Jul 2019 09:14

Martin Wynne

West Of The Severn - United Kingdom

click the date to link to this post
click member name to view archived images
view images in gallery view images as slides
It is now 12 months since I made available the open-source versions of Templot.

It involved a considerable amount of work, and there is still a lot to do to include all of Templot2 in it.

However, the amount of interest has proved to be almost zero. There has been total silence for months. If anyone is actually working on or using the code, I don't know about it.

The main points which folks were concerned about were:

1. having a version available which did not require an internet connection to the Templot servers on start-up.

I have now removed that requirement in the latest version 223b of Templot2, so it is no longer an issue.

2. keeping Templot available if I get run over by a bus, and the Templot web sites disappear.

Anyone who has updated to version 223b has an installer file which they could share with others, or upload somewhere else, such as on one of the other model railway forums.

If you let Templot update itself, the latest installer file  templot_223b_setup.exe  is in your

C:\TEMPLOT_DEV\internal\upd\

folder. If you updated manually, that file will be somewhere else on your system in your browser downloads.

(I can't put it on SourceForge because that hosting is restricted to open-source files.)

The same applies to any future program updates.

I will modify the terms of use to make clear that sharing the installer file is permitted, provided it is not for financial gain.

3. having the code available for others to modify in the event that the bus has done its worst, and the code will no longer install or run on later versions of Windows.

Given the lack of interest so far in developing the code, that seems to be the main reason to retain the open-source version on SourceForge.

In view of the above, I have decided to leave the code as it was at July 2018 on SourceForge as a simple download zip for anyone who wants it, but I'm not intending to do anything more with it, or to support it as an open-source project.

cheers,

Martin.

posted: 11 Jul 2019 09:28

Martin Wynne

p.s. The SourceForge link is:

http://sourceforge.net/projects/opentemplot/

M.

posted: 29 Jul 2019 22:39

DerekStuart

United Kingdom

Martin, I feel compelled to reiterate what has been said before:

Please do not confuse interest and ability. It's one thing to be interested in how this works, but entirely another to be able to DO anything with it.

Perhaps you are too modest to realise what you have created; it's not easy to follow, no matter how generous you have been with your time in explaining it. I wish I could, and I'm sure there are others feeling the same way.

Derek

posted: 29 Jul 2019 22:57

DerekStuart

United Kingdom

Martin,
Sorry for the second post, but...

I have just re-downloaded and looked at the files (LFM and PAS etc).

Presumably each of these is some sort of mini-programme that is referenced from the main. Could I possibly ask you what the 'main' programme is, please?

I'm sorry that this must have been asked and answered before, but I can't find it.

Taking action_unit.lfm, I can make a rough guess as to what it does generally- but what calls it and from where?

Apologies for possibly a very pointless question.
Derek

posted: 29 Jul 2019 23:52

Martin Wynne

DerekStuart wrote:
Martin,
Sorry for the second post, but...

I have just re-downloaded and looked at the files (LFM and PAS etc).

Presumably each of these is some sort of mini-programme that is referenced from the main. Could I possibly ask you what the 'main' programme is, please?

I'm sorry that this must have been asked and answered before, but I can't find it.

Taking action_unit.lfm, I can make a rough guess as to what it does generally- but what calls it and from where?

Apologies for possibly a very pointless question.
Derek
Hi Derek,

No need for apologies. It's great to have some interest. :)

The answer (no, it's not been asked before), is that the "main" program is:

templotmec.lpr

That creates all the Templot forms (windows) when Templot starts up, and then goes into a loop called Application.Run; which simply waits for messages from Windows that something has been clicked, a key pressed, etc., and then calls the relevant Templot function to deal with it. The compiler provides the code for that loop, we don't have to be concerned with it (unless we want to be). We just have to provide the necessary functions to deal with each button, menu item, etc. being clicked.

Creating a form means allocating some memory to contain all the data about it, such as its size and position on the screen, and the size and position of all the buttons and other controls on it.

To understand more you probably need to do some reading. You are more likely to find stuff under Delphi rather than Lazarus. See for example this site:

http://www.delphibasics.co.uk/Article.asp?Name=FirstPgm

It's old, but so is Templot. :) (some links on there no longer work). There are many similar sites still online from the days when Delphi was a favourite of students, hobby programmers and electronics experimenters. Nowadays the current versions are an expensive high-end product for IT professionals.   

You will notice in that file that quite a lot of stuff has been commented out as    

{ OT-FIRST

That's all the stuff from Templot2 which isn't yet in the first version of Open Templot.

"Commenting out" means that the relevant code has been temporarily marked as a "comment" so that the compiler ignores it. Comments are for human readers only.

Ask again any time.

cheers,

Martin.

Templot Club > Forums > TemplotMEC nuts and bolts > the open-source versions of Templot
about Templot Club

Templot Companion - User Guide - A-Z Index Templot Explained for beginners Please click: important information for new members and first-time visitors.
indexing link for search engines

back to top of page

Please read this important note about copyright: Unless stated otherwise, all the files submitted to this web site are copyright and the property of the respective contributor. You are welcome to use them for your own personal non-commercial purposes, and in your messages on this web site. If you want to publish any of this material elsewhere or use it commercially, you must first obtain the owner's permission to do so.
The small print: All material submitted to this web site is the responsibility of the respective contributor. By submitting material to this web site you acknowledge that you accept full responsibility for the material submitted. The owner of this web site is not responsible for any content displayed here other than his own contributions. The owner of this web site may edit, modify or remove any content at any time without giving notice or reason. Problems with this web site? Contact webmaster@templot.com.   This web site uses cookies: click for information.  
© 2020