author remove search highlighting

posted: 11 Jul 2019 13:04

Chris Hillier

click the date to link to this post
click member name to view archived images
view images in gallery view images as slides
Hi all,

New user here.

I am getting to grips with simple LH or RH points and curved ones BUT…… How do I create a non-symmetrical Y point?

I’m trying to create one with a 60” (1523mm) Right Hand radius (Main) and a 66” (1676mm) Left Hand radius (Branch)? I’m totally totally flummoxed!

I’ve looked at various examples from the past but either the links to extra info are missing or as in one example – Method 3 (posted: 13 Oct 2012 09:02) – “Start with two lengths of curved plain track crossing over each other, ….“ and using “…. menu, click peg/align tools > make diamond-crossing at intersection menu item.” - nothing happens??

I guess the instructions may be out of date for the version I’m using? Some notes mention symmetrical turnouts, but not non symmetrical Y’s.

I was using Templot V 2.19.b (but have just updated to 2.23b ) and drawing using 0-MF gauge.

It’s for a small Southern Region goods yard I’m planning on building with hand built points, ply sleepers/Exactoscale/C&L components, etc. as Peco just doesn’t work for me.

I’m either starting in the wrong place, have missed a vital step or three or haven’t found the right message yet???

Any help would be much appreciated as I’ve just got totally confused!

Kind regards,

Chris.

posted: 11 Jul 2019 13:10

Chris Hillier

Sorry all, not sure why the format is all over the place, looked ok in preview???
Chris.

posted: 11 Jul 2019 13:44

Martin Wynne

West Of The Severn - United Kingdom

Chris Hillier wrote:
Sorry all, not sure why the format is all over the place, looked ok in preview???
Chris.
Hi Chris,

Welcome to Templot Club. :)

I have fixed it for you. I'm assuming you copied/pasted from a word processor? That doesn't work too well in some browsers. If you want to prepare your text in advance, it's better to use Windows Notepad or some other plain text editor, and copy from there.

Can you clarify what you mean by a non-symmetrical Y-turnout? Templot doesn't directly support split-deflection switches -- they have been on my NOD list for years, as several here will testify. :)

But they can be quite successfully improvised by modifying a half-diamond template and adding a separate switch front. There is a topic on here about that, I will post the link shortly when I have found it.

However, I suspect that is not what you want. I imagine that what you are looking for is probably an ordinary handed turnout with contraflexure. That just means taking an ordinary turnout and applying a negative curving radius. There are about 1000 of those on the prototype for every split-deflection turnout.

I will post what I think you want shortly, just having some lunch.

cheers,

Martin.

posted: 11 Jul 2019 15:06

Martin Wynne

Hi Chris,

Here is what I think you may be looking for:

2_110944_460000000.png2_110944_460000000.png

Starting with an ordinary Left-hand turnout in 0-MF, I set a 9ft switch for such a short turnout as there are no REA switches short enough. That's at template > switch settings... menu item. The main road is set to a negative radius of -1524mm (60") as required.

For a such a short turnout it is almost certain that you want a curviform V-crossing -- click the indicator to C. More about that at:

http://templot.com/companion/real_track.php

Then adjust the V-crossing angle (F9 mouse action) until the required turnout radius is showing in the info panel. The answer was 1:3.57 RAM for the nearest to1676.4mm without going into 3 places of decimals on the crossing angle.

On the prototype it would be 1:3.5 or 1:3.75 but that might vary your turnout radius more than you want.

Ask again if you need more.

I have attached the .box file below. I left a bit of approach and exit track on it to better show the ruling curve in the main.

I will post an actual split-deflection Y-turnout later.

cheers,

Martin.
Attachment: attach_2853_3456_0_mf_9ft_3p57_for_chris.box     149

posted: 11 Jul 2019 16:58

Martin Wynne

Hi Chris,

Now here instead is what you specifically asked for, a split-deflection Y-turnout. :)

Note that there is a switch deflection in both roads, so this is not a turnout which can be used in a fast running line -- there would be a speed restriction over both roads. The effective deflection is only 1:48 each way, but that's still not something you want to hit at 60mph.

2_111124_470000000.png2_111124_470000000.png

Despite appearances, this is implemented using an irregular half-diamond template, not a turnout. I set the K-crossing angle to 1:24 -- it could be shorter, but that looks about right.

Then adjusting the V-crossing angle as before to get your required radius gave a nearest V-crossing angle of 1:3.42

I blanked up to the switch toe and put the peg on the split deflection position.

Then I pegged it onto a short 2-timber length of straight plain track to form the switch front. The two sleepers were widened to 12" timber width in the shove timbers. In many cases the switch front could be part of an existing straight template.

Your radii are sufficiently similar that a 50-50 split is close enough, but if the radii were significantly different you might want to rotate it a fraction on F8 to even up the deflections.

I changed the half-diamond timbering setting to replicate a 9ft turnout switch instead of a switch-diamond.

More about all this at:

topic 2768

p.s. that topic is dated 29th October 2015. Anything about symmetrical turnouts which pre-dates that should probably be disregarded.

.box file attached.

cheers,

Martin.
Attachment: attach_2854_3456_0_mf_k24_3p42_for_chris.box     136

posted: 12 Jul 2019 11:30

Chris Hillier

Hi Martin.
Thank you very much for your replies. I'm starting to see the light at the end of the tunnel now!
I have managed to recreate your first example myself, following your guidelines and this is works great for my particular site plan. I will work through you second example asap to understand that way of doing things as well. Once again, thank you for shoving me in the right direction.
Chris.

Templot Club > Forums > Baffled beginners > Non symmetrical Y turnout
about Templot Club

Templot Companion - User Guide - A-Z Index Templot Explained for beginners Please click: important information for new members and first-time visitors.
indexing link for search engines

back to top of page

Please read this important note about copyright: Unless stated otherwise, all the files submitted to this web site are copyright and the property of the respective contributor. You are welcome to use them for your own personal non-commercial purposes, and in your messages on this web site. If you want to publish any of this material elsewhere or use it commercially, you must first obtain the owner's permission to do so.
The small print: All material submitted to this web site is the responsibility of the respective contributor. By submitting material to this web site you acknowledge that you accept full responsibility for the material submitted. The owner of this web site is not responsible for any content displayed here other than his own contributions. The owner of this web site may edit, modify or remove any content at any time without giving notice or reason. Problems with this web site? Contact webmaster@templot.com.   This web site uses cookies: click for information.  
© 2020