Templot Club Archive 2007-2020                             

topic: 3459Help! What on earth have I done???
author remove search highlighting

posted: 16 Jul 2019 09:13

JFS

United Kingdom

click the date to link to this post
click member name to view archived images
view images in gallery view images as slides
Having used Templot for years, I thought I knew the basics but I seem to have have done something in a way I cannot understand. 

My problem is that anything involving Store and Background is not working as I expect - for example, if I press "Insert", then Wipe another Template to the Control, the previous control template disappears from the background.   Similarly, if I use any of the "Make" commands, the new template appears, but the previous control vanishes from the background.

These "disappeared" templates (about 20 of them by now) all appear in the Box, but I can do nothing to make them appear on the Background.  I must have done something to make this happen - it was working fine last time I used it - but how reverse it? And how do I get the invisible templates onto the background?

1129_160311_190000000.png1129_160311_190000000.png

Many thanks,

Howard

posted: 16 Jul 2019 10:25

Martin Wynne

West Of The Severn - United Kingdom

Hi Howard,

I think you have accidentally pressed SHIFT+END, indicated by the fact that the top buttons have gained a pale green background.

Press it again. :)

See:

2_051958_200000000.png2_051958_200000000.png

Any background templates which are entirely outside the boundary rectangle are not shown on the trackpad. This is intended to speed up screen response when you are working on a small part of a large track plan.

More explanation of that here:

topic 3207

p.s. your post reads a bit oddly. I know the working of the storage box is a mystery to many, despite my several attempts to explain it over the years. I wrote another explanation recently, here:

http://templot.com/companion/basic_working_methods.php

wipe is used only when you want to leave an unused copy of the template in the storage box. For possible re-use later, or if you just want to make some trial changes to it, which you can easily revert. It is not used very often.

cheers,

Martin.

posted: 16 Jul 2019 11:24

JFS

United Kingdom

Well hang me - works just as you say...

It had to be something like that... Trouble is, when you accidentally do something you never knew about, undoing it again is a challenge!

I tend to use Wipe a fair bit when I am in "doodle" mode like this as it means there is always an undo route - no matter what might go wrong in the meantime. And the 50% of subsequently unused templates are easily purged. But I agree that Make might have been a better example to quote!

Just also to mention that I used the "Make slip" function on one of the diamonds - my goodness, that saves some work - well done for that!

Many thanks and best wishes,

posted: 16 Jul 2019 11:37

Martin Wynne

JFS wrote:
Trouble is, when you accidentally do something you never knew about, undoing it again is a challenge!
Hi Howard,

Perhaps it needs yet another of those "are you sure you know what you are doing?" messages when using it for the first time. They do get a bit tedious.

Thanks,

Martin.

posted: 16 Jul 2019 12:17

JFS

United Kingdom

Not another one of those thanks Martin! Though suggesting an alternative is not easy - a tooltip on the green background perhaps?

Aut*C^D shows you a list of all recently used commands which facilitates backing out of a crisis, and their Undo rolls back the command list even if you have no idea what you actually did, but such a thing is easy for them at their prices...

Many thanks again and best wishes,

Howard

posted: 16 Jul 2019 12:22

JFS

United Kingdom

Sorry Martin - small supplementary - one thing which was throwing me was when the "Make" tools seemed to be behaving strangely because I was using them outside the boundary rectangle. It might be that a warning at that point might be helpfull.

One other question - having created the boundary rectangle, I can re-draw it but how do I remover it please?

Thanks,
Howard
Last edited on 16 Jul 2019 12:22 by JFS
posted: 16 Jul 2019 13:09

Martin Wynne

JFS wrote:
One other question - having created the boundary rectangle, I can re-draw it but how do I remove it please?
Hi Howard,

Just draw another one -- but don't. i.e. select the tool-button, then instead of dragging, just click.

There are mouse actions to adjust it precisely:

2_160741_240000000.png2_160741_240000000.png

But I haven't managed to find any spare keyboard shortcuts for them. And:

2_160755_520000000.png2_160755_520000000.png

That's at sketchboard > set boundary rectangle... menu item, and also the set... button on the output > export a file dialog, but the easy way to find it is to click the blue dimension showing on the mouse action panel, in the usual way.

It's called the output boundary because that's its primary purpose -- to control how much of a track plan is included in exported files, on the sketchboard, etc.

I re-used it for this trackpad drawing-limits function because it's unlikely both functions would be needed at the same time. 

Sorry Martin - small supplementary - one thing which was throwing me was when the "Make" tools seemed to be behaving strangely because I was using them outside the boundary rectangle. It might be that a warning at that point might be helpful.
Thanks, yes. A warning that a new template has been stored outside the rectangle would be useful. noted.

Aut*C^D shows you a list of all recently used commands
Hmm. I can see the usefulness of that. Just wondering what would be involved in recording every possible Templot command. :? We can ignore changes to the control template, because those are already in the rollback register on undo/redo. Otherwise the list would go crazy if you record every change to a shoved timber, for example.

Thanks,

Martin.

posted: 16 Jul 2019 13:29

JFS

United Kingdom

That is very helpful background Martin - many thanks. I have used the boundary rectangle before, but had not realised that Shift-End had such an impact.

For that reason, I have treated myself to a re-print of the shortcut key list - which runs to 8 pages of fairly small font!

No doubt AutoCAD do it their way because their programme works via commands - that it helps the user is merely a by-product... I don't for a second suggest an equivalent for Templot!

Best Wishes,

Howard

posted: 16 Jul 2019 13:51

Martin Wynne

JFS wrote:
For that reason, I have treated myself to a re-print of the shortcut key list - which runs to 8 pages of fairly small font!
Oh dear, I hope it is up to date. Maintaining that list is one of the housekeeping jobs that easily gets forgotten. And I see that SHIFT+END isn't on there!

Sorry about that. noted.

There is a list on the web site which is even more out of date. :(

cheers,

Martin.

posted: 16 Jul 2019 14:17

JFS

United Kingdom

Oops - making work for you was NOT the Objective of the Day...!!!

Cheers,
Howard

Templot Club > Forums > Baffled beginners > Help! What on earth have I done???
about Templot Club

Templot Companion - User Guide - A-Z Index Templot Explained for beginners Please click: important information for new members and first-time visitors.
indexing link for search engines

back to top of page

Please read this important note about copyright: Unless stated otherwise, all the files submitted to this web site are copyright and the property of the respective contributor. You are welcome to use them for your own personal non-commercial purposes, and in your messages on this web site. If you want to publish any of this material elsewhere or use it commercially, you must first obtain the owner's permission to do so.
The small print: All material submitted to this web site is the responsibility of the respective contributor. By submitting material to this web site you acknowledge that you accept full responsibility for the material submitted. The owner of this web site is not responsible for any content displayed here other than his own contributions. The owner of this web site may edit, modify or remove any content at any time without giving notice or reason. Problems with this web site? Contact webmaster@templot.com.   This web site uses cookies: click for information.  
© 2020