topic: 3464Goods loops
author remove search highlighting

posted: 30 Jul 2019 09:39

KeithArmes

Macclesfield - United Kingdom

click the date to link to this post
click member name to view archived images
view images in gallery view images as slides
A friend is planning on building Grafham station on the MR Kettering - Huntingdon line. The running line is single and the goods loop is also a single line. As a 10ft way is not needed for PW workers safety, would a standard 6ft way have been used. 

Keith Armes
2116_300438_200000000.png2116_300438_200000000.png

posted: 30 Jul 2019 10:25

Ariels Girdle

Midland standards were published in an early MRJ. From memory, all goods loops were supposed to be greater than 6ft

posted: 30 Jul 2019 10:40

Martin Wynne

West Of The Severn - United Kingdom

Hi Keith,

If it was just a running loop it's more likely to be at 6ft way on a single line. If it was a working part of the goods yard, used for loading vehicles, etc., then it needs to be at 10ft way. Given that there is only one short siding and a large area marked "Goods Yard", that use seems very possible. But that doesn't mean that it complied with the rules -- many country branch lines remained largely "as built" until the end, regardless of subsequent changes to the rules.

Looking at the map, it seems more likely to be 6ft way.

I found this photo of the next station on the line, Buckden, which has a similar layout. I think it is fairly clear that the loop there was at 6ft way:

Buckden_Station_1931512.jpgBuckden_Station_1931512.jpg
Buckden station © Ben Brooksbank Creative Commons Attribution Share-alike license 2.0 

So I think I would go for 6ft way unless you can find a photo showing otherwise.

It's interesting that there appears to have been a recent track renewal with concrete sleepers, on a line which closed early (1959). The contrast with the pointwork on timbers is very evident, and not often modelled.

cheers,

Martin.

posted: 30 Jul 2019 12:38

KeithArmes

Thanks, Gentlemen. Sadly, I lost my early copies of MRJ to water damage in the cellar a couple of years ago. However,Martin's picture really answers the question, doesn't it.

Keith

posted: 30 Jul 2019 14:19

Rob Manchester

Manchester - United Kingdom

KeithArmes wrote:
Thanks, Gentlemen. Sadly, I lost my early copies of MRJ to water damage in the cellar a couple of years ago. However,Martin's picture really answers the question, doesn't it.

Keith
Keith,
I have all the early copies of MRJ if you want me to take a look. Any idea which issue ?

Rob

posted: 30 Jul 2019 15:40

KeithArmes

That's kind of you Rob, but Martins picture has solved my question.
Keith

Templot Club > Forums > Templot talk > Goods loops
about Templot Club

Templot Companion - User Guide - A-Z Index Templot Explained for beginners Please click: important information for new members and first-time visitors.
indexing link for search engines

back to top of page

Please read this important note about copyright: Unless stated otherwise, all the files submitted to this web site are copyright and the property of the respective contributor. You are welcome to use them for your own personal non-commercial purposes, and in your messages on this web site. If you want to publish any of this material elsewhere or use it commercially, you must first obtain the owner's permission to do so.
The small print: All material submitted to this web site is the responsibility of the respective contributor. By submitting material to this web site you acknowledge that you accept full responsibility for the material submitted. The owner of this web site is not responsible for any content displayed here other than his own contributions. The owner of this web site may edit, modify or remove any content at any time without giving notice or reason. Problems with this web site? Contact webmaster@templot.com.   This web site uses cookies: click for information.  
© 2020