topic: 3470Updating Templot
author remove search highlighting

posted: 31 Jul 2019 19:45

Les Fram

Manchester - United Kingdom

click the date to link to this post
click member name to view archived images
view images in gallery view images as slides
I recently updated to the latest version and was horrified to find I had a clean version of the software, i.e. the box file was empty and all previous work had disappeared. Luckily I had back-ups! Have I missed something? It has never happened before.

Les Fram (long term user)

posted: 31 Jul 2019 20:06

Martin Wynne

West Of The Severn - United Kingdom

Hi Les,

As far as I can see this is your first post having joined 5 years ago. So welcome to Templot Club. :)

If you mean you have just updated to Templot2, you should be able to find your old files by going to the files > old pre-Templot2 files... menu item:

2_311456_460000000.png2_311456_460000000.png

Assuming that is, that you installed Templot in the default locations. If not, only you know where your files are. Templot won't have deleted them.

With the launch of Templot2 in 2011, the default installation folder changed from C:\TEMPLOT\ to C:\TEMPLOT_DEV\ .

Your old files will still be in C:\TEMPLOT\BOX-FILES\ .

You might like to try the files > file viewer function to go there and explore your old box files as screenshots.

cheers,

Martin.

posted: 31 Jul 2019 21:20

Jim Guthrie

United Kingdom

Martin,

I had something like this in my last update a week or two ago. I pointed the installer to my /Templot_Dev folder and went ahead with the install, to then find that the new installation was completely clean. I found that I could still start my old version from my taskbar button with all my preferences and files.

I went on a hunt for the new version and found that it had been installed in the ...Templot_Dev/Templot_Dev folder. I've got Templot on my OneDrive so I then got rid of the new installation and tried again, installing in the OneDrive root folder. But this time it installed in the root directory and not in a Templot_Dev folder, so I ran into the same problem again of a clean installation.

It took a while to dig all the installtion files and folders out of the Onedrive root directory. I then tried selecting the ...Templot_Dev directory again and I noticed that when I clicked OK, the installer added on another Templot_Dev folder to give the ...Templot_Dev/Templot_Dev location. I pulled out of the installation and started again and selected the OneDrive root folder for installation and when I clicked OK, it didn't add a Templot_Dev folder.

I finally got the installtion where I wanted to by getting back to the Templot_Dev/Templot_Dev destination and editing the excess Templot_Dev off the end and the install went ahead into my Templot_Dev folder and I had all my preferences and files. :D

This might be a wee bit hazy since it was a few days ago and I can't go back and reproduce it but I do remember the installer adding Templot_Dev on if I selected the Templot_Dev folder as a destination, but not adding Templot_Dev on if I selected the OneDrive root folder.

Jim.
Last edited on 31 Jul 2019 21:23 by Jim Guthrie
posted: 31 Jul 2019 22:15

Martin Wynne

Thanks Jim.

That rings a bell with some issues on a forum about other software which uses the same Inno Setup installer.

The dialog is:

2_311635_530000000.png2_311635_530000000.png

How it is intended to work, or at least how it does seem to work, is:

1. it displays the location where you previously installed Templot.

If that's where you want to install the update, just click Next.

2. if you want to install it somewhere else, enter the full path in the box. If any of the folders in the path don't exist, it will create them for you.

3. or click the Browse... button to find an existing drive or folder. In that case it will treat the selected drive/folder as an outer container and make a TEMPLOT_DEV sub-folder within it, which will then show in the box. If you don't what that to happen, you can edit it out of the box before continuing.

4. whatever, before the final install it shows a confirm dialog:

2_311700_120000000.png2_311700_120000000.png

which shows the location which will be used. If it is not what you want, you can click the Back button a few times to go back and edit it.

I think I need to change the wording a bit to make the above clear. But first I need to do more testing to establish that is indeed how it works.

If you install Templot in Windows virtual folders or online sync cloud storage and suchlike I can't be sure how it works because I have never used such locations (for anything, not just for Templot). :? 

cheers,

Martin.

posted: 31 Jul 2019 22:56

Jim Guthrie

United Kingdom

Martin,

OneDrive sets up a folder in my users folder on the C: drive. Templot is installed in this Onedrive folder so its address is c:\Users\Jim\OneDrive\TEMPLOT_DEV. OneDrive then mirrors this drive to the cloud, so to all intents and purposes the templot install looks like any other normal installation.

One thing I did note on that last installation was that the installer didn't know where my previous installation was, and I had to browse to find the TEMPLOT_DEV folder. I was normally used to the installer knowing where my installation was and I just hit OK to proceed with the update.

I then eventually found out about the extra TEMPLOT_DEV folder being created as I recounted earlier.

Jim.

posted: 31 Jul 2019 23:34

Martin Wynne

Thanks Jim.

Does the OneDrive folder actually exist on the disk? Or is it one of the dreaded Windows virtual folders? Or does it exist only on the cloud storage -- i.e. can you access it if your internet is down?

If it's not an actual disk folder, I can imagine the installer having difficulties. :?

cheers,

Martin.

posted: 1 Aug 2019 09:01

Paul Boyd

Loughborough - United Kingdom

Martin Wynne wrote:
Thanks Jim.

Does the OneDrive folder actually exist on the disk? Or is it one of the dreaded Windows virtual folders? Or does it exist only on the cloud storage -- i.e. can you access it if your internet is down?
Hi Martin
The OneDrive folder is a normal folder just like any other, there's nothing special or virtual about it.  OneDrive doesn't even need to be running although obviously it won't then sync to the Cloud!  All the OneDrive program does is to monitor that folder and keep it synced with the Cloud and any other logged in devices.

I've also seen the same phenomenon, but just edit the install path when I see that it's not correct.
Edit - Templot does of course remember where it was installed!  I've just reinstalled it and the default path is exactly where I left it.
105_010412_360000000.png105_010412_360000000.png

Cheers,
Paul
Last edited on 1 Aug 2019 09:12 by Paul Boyd
posted: 1 Aug 2019 10:01

Les Fram

Hi Martin

Just to clear up the exact circumstances of my recent update failure, I have been using Templot 2 for some years and installed quite a few updates, all successfully, until now including transfer to a new computer.
I have searched with File viewer and File Explorer and looked as suggested for a sub folder TEMPLOT_DEV in the TEMPLOT_DEV folder but found nothing.

By the way, thank you for your welcome, until now Templot has been trouble free for me with several successful projects under my belt.

Les Fram

posted: 1 Aug 2019 11:36

Martin Wynne

Les Fram wrote:
I have searched with File viewer and File Explorer and looked as suggested for a sub folder TEMPLOT_DEV in the TEMPLOT_DEV folder but found nothing.
Hi Les,

The old pre-Templot2 files would not be in a sub-folder of TEMPLOT_DEV, they would be in a separate root folder C:\TEMPLOT\.

However, if you have been using Templot2 that doesn't apply.

If you have moved to a new computer, dare I suggest that the old files are still on the old one? Did you remember to move them? :)

cheers,

Martin.

posted: 1 Aug 2019 13:51

Les Fram

Hi Martin

You can dare to suggest an old computer, but I changed the computer at least 4 years ago, the files have gone from my present computer.

Les

posted: 1 Aug 2019 14:03

Martin Wynne

Les Fram wrote:
Hi Martin

You can dare to suggest an old computer, but I changed the computer at least 4 years ago, the files have gone from my present computer.
Hi Les,

OK. You mentioned a new computer. :)

I can say with some certainty that the files were not deleted by the Templot installer. Or if they were, that's the first time I have heard of such a thing in 20 years use of the installer and many thousands of downloads.

Did you by any chance uninstall the old version, or delete the TEMPLOT_DEV folder before updating? There is no need to do any of that.

Templot lets you save your files anywhere you like, but you do have to remember where you put them. :)

Have you tried the files > recent files menu item? Assuming that you installed the latest update in the same location as the previous one.

I think that list could usefully be made a bit longer -- noted for the next update.

cheers,

Martin.

posted: 1 Aug 2019 15:50

Jim Guthrie

United Kingdom

Or, if you are using Windows, just search for .box files.

Jim
Last edited on 1 Aug 2019 15:51 by Jim Guthrie
posted: 6 Aug 2019 13:12

Martin Wynne

Jim Guthrie wrote:
Or, if you are using Windows, just search for .box files.
Hi Jim, Les,

If your computer has updated to Windows10 version 1903 (May 2019), that's not so easy.

To find Templot .box files (and anything else useful on your computer) it is now necessary to make a change in the Settings. Change the Searching Windows options to Enhanced:

2_060803_350000000.png2_060803_350000000.png

By default, Windows no longer trusts you to search your own computer, and looks only in the places where it thinks you ought to have put your files.

It seems not to have occurred to Microsoft that the entire reason you are searching for something is because that is not where it is. :?

Les, you might find that this is the reason you can't find your old .box files. :)

Search the C: drive for *.box after making the above change. It may take a while.

cheers,

Martin.

posted: 6 Aug 2019 15:53

Jim Guthrie

United Kingdom

Martin Wynne wrote:
If your computer has updated to Windows10 version 1903 (May 2019), that's not so easy.
To find Templot .box files (and anything else useful on your computer) it is now necessary to make a change in the Settings. Change the Searching Windows options to Enhanced:
Martin,

I normally use the search and then the "Find More Files" facility and that seems to find everything.  I've just tried it again having applied all the updates to date and it still seems to work OK.  However,  I'll go and do as you suggest just in case. :D

Jim.

posted: 6 Aug 2019 18:16

Les Fram

Hi Martin & Jim

Thank-you for all your advice and assistance especially "enhanced search"  This facility located the missing files in Swsetup/TEMPLOT_DEV.  I have no idea why unless I had a touch of finger trouble!

Les Fram

posted: 6 Aug 2019 18:26

Martin Wynne

Les Fram wrote:
Thank-you for all your advice and assistance especially "enhanced search"  This facility located the missing files in Swsetup/TEMPLOT_DEV.
Hi Les,

Glad you found them. :)

Thanks for letting me know. The possibility that the Templot installer might have deleted files was worrying.

cheers,

Martin.

Templot Club > Forums > Templot talk > Updating Templot
about Templot Club

Templot Companion - User Guide - A-Z Index Templot Explained for beginners Please click: important information for new members and first-time visitors.
indexing link for search engines

back to top of page

Please read this important note about copyright: Unless stated otherwise, all the files submitted to this web site are copyright and the property of the respective contributor. You are welcome to use them for your own personal non-commercial purposes, and in your messages on this web site. If you want to publish any of this material elsewhere or use it commercially, you must first obtain the owner's permission to do so.
The small print: All material submitted to this web site is the responsibility of the respective contributor. By submitting material to this web site you acknowledge that you accept full responsibility for the material submitted. The owner of this web site is not responsible for any content displayed here other than his own contributions. The owner of this web site may edit, modify or remove any content at any time without giving notice or reason. Problems with this web site? Contact webmaster@templot.com.   This web site uses cookies: click for information.  
© 2020