topic: 3481Deleting pictures in background
author remove search highlighting

posted: 12 Aug 2019 14:49

KeithArmes

Macclesfield - United Kingdom

click the date to link to this post
click member name to view archived images
view images in gallery view images as slides
I've been trying to delete more than one picture from a background file. Deleting the first picture works fine, but deleting a second causes Templot to crash. I have tried it on a second background with the same result. Any ideas? The file Chipping Norton.bgs is attached.

Keith
Attachment: attach_2875_3481_Chipping_Norton.bgs     150

posted: 12 Aug 2019 16:37

Rob Manchester

Manchester - United Kingdom

Hi Keith,
I just loaded you file and tried deleting from it. Doesn't cause my system any problems. What happens when it crashes - what message do you get ?

Rob

posted: 12 Aug 2019 17:06

KeithArmes

2116_121201_020000000.png2116_121201_020000000.png
Rob Manchester wrote:
Hi Keith,
I just loaded you file and tried deleting from it. Doesn't cause my system any problems. What happens when it crashes - what message do you get ?

Rob

Hi Rob, The screen shot from the crash is above. I've also added the sk81 file that goes with Chipping Norton.bgs. I couldn't find a way to add more than one file as an attachment at one time, so the .sk82 will follow. Thanks, Keith
Attachment: attach_2876_3481_Chipping_Norton.sk81     160

posted: 12 Aug 2019 17:09

KeithArmes

And .sk82
Attachment: attach_2877_3481_Chipping_Norton.sk82     148

posted: 12 Aug 2019 17:13

Rob Manchester

Manchester - United Kingdom

Keith,

Possibly a memory problem.

See this post topic 3311

and read down to the bottom.

Rob

posted: 12 Aug 2019 17:14

Martin Wynne

West Of The Severn - United Kingdom

KeithArmes wrote:
Hi Rob, The screen shot from the crash is above
Thanks Keith.

That is the same crash as reported by Simon recently:

topic 3311 - message 27475

Two separate reports means a definite bug, although at present I haven't been able to find it or repeat it. Still looking. Anyone else, when deleting picture shapes?

cheers,

Martin.

posted: 12 Aug 2019 17:28

KeithArmes

Thanks, Gentlemen. Nice to know that I'm not alone, so maybe it's not me being stupid.
Cheers,
Keith

posted: 13 Aug 2019 00:07

MikeB

United Kingdom

Hi Martin.

I have been having the same problem recently, but this has been when trying to select a shape at the top of my list (rather than deleting). These are usually shapes that I have had a long time and are in several other lists. I then get the violation error box, then closing the error box you get another one come up. If you keep closing them (and they move about the screen), then they eventually go away and you get back control of Templot. With the first failure, it then looks like it is going through a list of something and when it gets to the end, it then clears.

Mike

Martin Wynne wrote:
KeithArmes wrote:
Thanks Keith.

Two separate reports means a definite bug, although at present I haven't been able to find it or repeat it. Still looking. Anyone else, when deleting picture shapes?

cheers,

Martin.

posted: 13 Aug 2019 11:13

KeithArmes

I've just tried my Chipping Norton files on an older PC, also running up-to-date Win10, and the deletion problem didn't happen. Back to my usual PC and following MikeB's suggestion, it took about 58 clicks of the error OK box before the problem cleared. The error box also moved round the lower part of the screen, as mentioned. 

Like others, I have also occasionally used a second screen, so that may have a bearing.

Keith 
MikeB wrote:
Hi Martin.

I have been having the same problem recently, but this has been when trying to select a shape at the top of my list (rather than deleting). These are usually shapes that I have had a long time and are in several other lists. I then get the violation error box, then closing the error box you get another one come up. If you keep closing them (and they move about the screen), then they eventually go away and you get back control of Templot. With the first failure, it then looks like it is going through a list of something and when it gets to the end, it then clears.

Mike

Martin Wynne wrote:
KeithArmes wrote:
Thanks Keith.

cheers,

Martin.

posted: 13 Aug 2019 11:37

Martin Wynne

Thanks Mike, Keith.

Keith, are you saying that you have 2 computers, both running up-to-date Windows10? And that on the older one you don't see the problem, but on the newer one you do?

Presumably the newer one is a lot faster than the the older one? We may be looking at a timing issue. Are there any other significant differences between the two computers? e.g. solid-state drive instead of disk, AMD processor instead of Intel. Can you say the make of the computers so that I can do some googling? Thanks.

When you get to the end of the clicking marathon, are the shapes actually deleted?

I fear it might require a lot of digging. :(

cheers,

Martin.

posted: 13 Aug 2019 13:29

KeithArmes

Martin, at the end of the clicking the picture is removed, yes. The current computer is a Lenovo 320S-141KB and the older one an Acer Aspire One 1-431. Both 64bit, solid state drives and Intel.

I've just one more thing. The two pictures I was deleting are at the top of the list in the background shapes dialogue box (simply labelled 'picture'). I've tried moving them down the list even by one place and they can then both be deleted, BUT, as soon as I click on another shape in the list, the list goes blank and Templot crashes.

Keith

posted: 13 Aug 2019 13:35

Martin Wynne

KeithArmes wrote:
Martin, at the end of the clicking the picture is removed, yes. The current computer is a Lenovo 320S-141KB and the older one an Acer Aspire One 1-431. Both 64bit, solid state drives and Intel.

I've just one more thing. The two pictures I was deleting are at the top of the list in the background shapes dialogue box (simply labelled 'picture'). I've tried moving them down the list even by one place and they can then both be deleted, BUT, as soon as I click on another shape in the list, the list goes blank and Templot crashes.
Hi Keith,

Thanks for that. And this doesn't happen on the other computer?

(It doesn't happen here either, on 3 different systems. :? )

cheers,

Martin.

posted: 13 Aug 2019 14:59

KeithArmes

That's right, Martin. It doesn't happen on the older Acer machine.

Keith

posted: 18 Aug 2019 14:47

Martin Wynne

Hi Keith, Mike,

I'm pleased to say that after several hours testing I can repeat this crash here. :thumb:

Pleased, because until I can make something happen here, I have almost no chance of fixing it.

Thanks again for reporting it.

The problem is not related to picture shapes specifically, or deleting shapes specifically, or moving shapes up and down in the list.

It is a bug in the vertical scrollbar in the list of background shapes.

When the list contains exactly one more shape than can be shown in the list box, selecting the first shape in the list, will cause a crash. It doesn't matter why you are selecting it.

Having more or fewer shapes in the list doesn't cause this. It has to be exactly one more than the list box can show, in order to crash. It took a bit of finding. :?

Obviously if you have a long list of shapes, and you are deleting them, at some stage you will reach a situation where there is now only one more in the list than the list box can show. At that point, selecting the first shape at the top of the list will crash.

It's a puzzling bug, because a) I can't find it, and b) the template storage box list is set up exactly the same way, but doesn't seem to show this problem.

The reason it appears not to show on some computers, for the same BGS file, is that they are using different screen font sizes, so the number of shapes visible in the list will be different.

Workaround:

Until I can fix this, the workaround is to move to the top of the list a shape which you will never need to select. It could be a short dummy line shape serving no other purpose. Just in case you happen to want to select another top shape when the number of shapes is exactly one more than are visible in the list.

Fixed in Templot version 223c now available.

cheers,

Martin.

posted: 18 Aug 2019 17:38

KeithArmes

That's great Martin, now we know!

Cheers,
Keith

posted: 18 Aug 2019 18:56

Martin Wynne

Thanks Keith.

I haven't been able to fix this in the conventional sense, because I think it is a bug in the compiler's implementation of the Windows ListBox control, when objects are linked to the list items. Fixing that means a lot of work on code not written by me, with every chance that I will create bugs rather than fixing them. :(

But I have added a mitigation in the next program update so that the exception is ignored and the program runs normally as far as a user is concerned.

I'm hoping to get an update to version 223c released within the next 24 hours.

The problem has existed since version 214a of January 2017, when I changed the listbox to OwnerDraw in order to show individual shapes being switched on and off.

cheers,

Martin.

Templot Club > Forums > I found a flaw > Deleting pictures in background
about Templot Club

Templot Companion - User Guide - A-Z Index Templot Explained for beginners Please click: important information for new members and first-time visitors.
indexing link for search engines

back to top of page

Please read this important note about copyright: Unless stated otherwise, all the files submitted to this web site are copyright and the property of the respective contributor. You are welcome to use them for your own personal non-commercial purposes, and in your messages on this web site. If you want to publish any of this material elsewhere or use it commercially, you must first obtain the owner's permission to do so.
The small print: All material submitted to this web site is the responsibility of the respective contributor. By submitting material to this web site you acknowledge that you accept full responsibility for the material submitted. The owner of this web site is not responsible for any content displayed here other than his own contributions. The owner of this web site may edit, modify or remove any content at any time without giving notice or reason. Problems with this web site? Contact webmaster@templot.com.   This web site uses cookies: click for information.  
© 2020