Templot Club Archive 2007-2020                             

topic: 3484Round type of GWR 2 bolt chairs (4 mm scale)
author remove search highlighting

posted: 14 Aug 2019 13:30

Hayfield

United Kingdom

click the date to link to this post
click member name to view archived images
view images in gallery view images as slides
During a chat with Phil today he told me he has unearthed some of the earlier GWR rounded 2 bolt chairs that the GWR used on the concrete sleepers (and I guess elsewhere). C&L now sell the squarer type so whilst stocks last there are some available now from C&L.

posted: 31 May 2020 10:56

Graham Long

Hi
I am a little confused about the new C&L chairs. The wording on the website description maybe a bit confusing but I read it as, their new 2 bolt chairs were used until 1926 at which time GWR came up with a 3 bolt design for use on concrete pots. The GWR must have continued using 2 bolt as it is my understanding that the two bolt pattern was used into BR days
I have read elsewhere that the C&L were an earlier type, pre 1900, and used for 95 pound rail before and after 1900 the and the exactoscale chairs are the ones used on the 00 97.5 pound rail. However, I am unsure which type continued after 1926 i.e exactoscale or early C&L ones. If the new style C&L where used up until 1926 it raises the question of when did the change over from old and new style C&L chairs occur. I have read that OO rail was installed new until 1921 at which time the BS 95 rail became the gwr standard which differed only slightly to original 95 rail.
I have looked at both types old C&L and exactoscale with a magnifying glass and can discern a difference.

posted: 31 May 2020 11:16

Paul Boyd

Loughborough - United Kingdom

Hi Graham
My immediate response would be that if you need a magnifying glass to discern a difference, it’s not something to get overly worried about!  It’s always nice to know the answer, of course.

Cheer,
Paul

posted: 31 May 2020 11:28

Hayfield

United Kingdom

Graham Long wrote:
Hi
I am a little confused about the new C&L chairs. The wording on the website description maybe a bit confusing but I read it as, their new 2 bolt chairs were used until 1926 at which time GWR came up with a 3 bolt design for use on concrete pots. The GWR must have continued using 2 bolt as it is my understanding that the two bolt pattern was used into BR days
I have read elsewhere that the C&L were an earlier type, pre 1900, and used for 95 pound rail before and after 1900 the and the exactoscale chairs are the ones used on the 00 97.5 pound rail. However, I am unsure which type continued after 1926 i.e exactoscale or early C&L ones. If the new style C&L where used up until 1926 it raises the question of when did the change over from old and new style C&L chairs occur. I have read that OO rail was installed new until 1921 at which time the BS 95 rail became the gwr standard which differed only slightly to original 95 rail.
I have looked at both types old C&L and exactoscale with a magnifying glass and can discern a difference.
The C&L 2 bolt chairs are now in their 3rd version, the first generation were I believe an early style, these were then changed when a new tool was built. The second tool became unusable/too costly to repair so the latest tool was commissioned.
I am no great historian so I cannot answer about dates and I guess Len Newman or Brian are the only folk who know about when the first tool changed.

Phil has found out from a retired platelayer that in at least one location new 2 bolt chairs were being used in the 60's rather than a costly complete building of a large complex. 

As for the poundage of rail we have to put up with what is available, having said this different makes do vary so you may be in luck.

posted: 31 May 2020 11:41

Hayfield

United Kingdom

Paul Boyd wrote:
Hi Graham
My immediate response would be that if you need a magnifying glass to discern a difference, it’s not something to get overly worried about!  It’s always nice to know the answer, of course.

Cheer,
Paul
Until some very rich person decides to support the GWR modellers with a full set of GWR standard and special chairs, we have to put up with what we have. 
It was not that long ago initially there was no buyer when C&L was put up for sale. Then doubts about the longevity of the present company. Now we have seen several new and revised items brought to the market. And certainly more in the background to come

A quick status update, Phil is very grateful for being so busy and is struggling to keep products packed into retail size packs. Also owing to the virus and social distancing he only goes to the Post Office on Thursdays when time is made available to him so goods can be accepted safely. Therefore lead times are a bit longer at the moment

posted: 31 May 2020 14:32

Nigel Brown

Reckon the only critical question is whether or not the chairs fit the rail you are using. Visible differences between standard 2-bolt chairs must be insignificant.

posted: 31 May 2020 18:29

Hayfield

United Kingdom

I must admit we had a smile when at a certain Society show their rail failed to fit the plastic chairs they were selling

From the little I know the dies the rail is drawn through in most cases should be for the sole use of the owner, secondly as the die gets older and used the shape will copy the worn die. This is certainly not too much an issue for copperclad and ply and rivet users, but is for the plastic chair user

posted: 3 Jun 2020 15:34

Hayfield

United Kingdom

I now have received from Phil both the new 2 and 3 bolt sprues Appologies for my poor photographic skills
982_031026_320000000.jpg982_031026_320000000.jpg

This is the new sprue for the 2 bolt chairs, from left to right 
bridge chair, J chair, standard chairs and fishplates (H section)  16 items per sprue rather than 10

982_031030_020000000.jpg982_031030_020000000.jpg

Close up of the 2 bolt bridge, 2 bolt J and 2 bolt standard chairs

982_031031_220000000.jpg982_031031_220000000.jpg

Close up photo of the H section fishplates, these are also available separately 

The 2 bolt bridge and J chairs are new to the market and unique to C&L in plastic injection moulding
Attachment: attach_3079_3484_127.jpeg     66
Last edited on 3 Jun 2020 15:36 by Hayfield
posted: 3 Jun 2020 15:45

Hayfield

United Kingdom

And now for the 3 bolt chairs
982_031037_550000000.jpg982_031037_550000000.jpg

Left to right  Bridge chair, 3 bolt J chair, standard chair and 2 fishplates, one standard and one reinforced

982_031040_500000000.jpg982_031040_500000000.jpg

The bridge chair has 4 bolts, then 3 bolt J chair and 3 bolt standard chairs

982_031043_350000000.jpg982_031043_350000000.jpg

There are 2 style of fishplates, normal and reinforced. these fishplates are also available separately

The 3 bolt J chairs and rge reinforced fishplates are new to the market

Templot Club > Forums > Templot talk > Round type of GWR 2 bolt chairs (4 mm scale)
about Templot Club

Templot Companion - User Guide - A-Z Index Templot Explained for beginners Please click: important information for new members and first-time visitors.
indexing link for search engines

back to top of page

Please read this important note about copyright: Unless stated otherwise, all the files submitted to this web site are copyright and the property of the respective contributor. You are welcome to use them for your own personal non-commercial purposes, and in your messages on this web site. If you want to publish any of this material elsewhere or use it commercially, you must first obtain the owner's permission to do so.
The small print: All material submitted to this web site is the responsibility of the respective contributor. By submitting material to this web site you acknowledge that you accept full responsibility for the material submitted. The owner of this web site is not responsible for any content displayed here other than his own contributions. The owner of this web site may edit, modify or remove any content at any time without giving notice or reason. Problems with this web site? Contact webmaster@templot.com.   This web site uses cookies: click for information.  
© 2020