click here for a list of all existing Templot documentation
Important Privacy Information cookie information pre-print options:    

click image to open Templot Club in a new tab             Search           remove page highlighting
Templot club top logo
    looking for help? -                         enjoy using Templot? -
looking for Templot? - (free)

you are not logged in  - Login | Join

receive all messages by email: info

Recent Topics
Front Page  Search  Image Gallery  Gallery Upload  My Account  Members  Open Source  TemplotMEC  Help  
make a donation  
please click: important information for new members and first-time visitors Templot Companion - User Guide
            messages archive on Yahoo
page trail:  Templot Club > Forums > I wish it would... > Text on top of platforms
Templot web site

Text on top of platforms

Start new topic   Reply blank   Printer friendly 
  Rate this topic  
AuthorMessage
 Clicked a link? Wrong message? Wait until the page has finished loading, click in the address bar and then press the Enter key. This is a timing bug in some browsers.
1st message | this message only posted: 10 Sep 2019 19:51
 PM  Reply with quote  Reply blank 
Paul Boyd
Loughborough, United Kingdom

view images in gallery
view images as slides
Hi Martin,
I seem to be finding my way back to Templot again!  There's a couple of features that would be quite nice to have, if they're not already there somewhere:-
  • When printing the background templates, any platforms with a solid infill obliterate any text, such as timber numbering or "blunt nose" etc.  Could it be arranged so that the platform is always underneath any text?  Hatching partially solves this, but even so, the text then becomes chopped up.

• The other one, which I'm sure is an option somewhere, is to not show the template number on the output, so just "A11" instead of "PL172.A11".

Cheers,

Paul

Clicked a link? Wrong message? Wait until the page has finished loading, click in the address bar and then press the Enter key. This is a timing bug in some browsers.
2nd message | this message only posted: 12 Sep 2019 18:08
Martin Wynne
West Of The Severn, United Kingdom

view images in gallery
view images as slides

Please do not send requests for help direct to me via email or PM.

Post your questions on the forum where everyone can see them and add helpful replies.
Paul Boyd wrote: Hi Martin,
I seem to be finding my way back to Templot again!  There's a couple of features that would be quite nice to have, if they're not already there somewhere:-
  • The other one, which I'm sure is an option somewhere, is to not show the template number on the output, so just "A11" instead of "PL172.A11".
Hi Paul,

Welcome back. Have you been far? :)

Thanks for the suggestions. In fact there wasn't such an option on the template ID prefix, but there is now, untick this:

All these settings are included in the saved program preferences.

I have also moved the menu item from the sub-menu into the main menu to make it easier to find.

Attached below is a scruff release of Templot, version 2.23.x

Save the  templot_2.exe  file in your  C:TEMPLOT_DEV  folder (or wherever you keep Templot), to replace the one already there.

Windows will no doubt take a dim view of it and make you click through the usual security stuff.

It's the same as the current 2.23.c program update apart from these changes, and the previous changes in 2.23.z for Rob:

http://85a.co.uk/forum/view_topic.php?id=3488&forum_id=1#p27619

It also fixes the printing bug, see:

http://85a.co.uk/forum/view_topic.php?id=3500&forum_id=1

When printing the background templates, any platforms with a solid infill obliterate any text, such as timber numbering or "blunt nose" etc. Could it be arranged so that the platform is always underneath any text? Hatching partially solves this, but even so, the text then becomes chopped up.That's a more involved program change than I can put in a quick scruff release. But I have added the option above to allow the platforms to be switched on and off more easily. Generally the platforms aren't needed at the same time as the timber numbers and guide marks. The numbers are needed when printing an actual construction template to use on the workbench, the platforms are needed when printing a full track plan to lay out on the baseboard.

I will look at moving the timber numbers above the platforms in the next full update, but it's not straightforward because the platforms are part of the rails printing function -- which have to be above the timbering obviously.

cheers,

Martin.

Here is 2.23.x  (not exhaustively tested, please report any issues):

edit: 2.23.x deleted. See replacement 2.23.w:

http://85a.co.uk/forum/view_topic.php?id=3499&forum_id=3&jump_to=27732#p27732

3rd message | this message only posted: 13 Sep 2019 16:37
Paul Boyd

view images in gallery
view images as slides
Hi Martin
Thanks for that!  I've been lurking, but drifted into plastic modelling, with model railways in the background.  I've just been inspired to restart the S4n2 layout I started about 16 years ago then scrapped during a house move, although I kept the pointwork.  The fact that the seed has remained there all this time has to be a good sign!

The re-worked output elements options will do nicely, thank you. Yes, timber numbering is untidy on the track plan printout, and platforms are unnecessary on build templates, so that does make it much easier to switch around.

Cheers,
Paul

4th message | this message only posted: 13 Sep 2019 18:02
Hull Paragon

view images in gallery
view images as slides
Martin

I read this with interest. I have been looking for a way to remove text from templates so that after they have been physically cut, there is no spurious text on the template. I suspect that this option is what I have been looking for but I note that this is (I assume) a modification that is only available in your version 2.23 'scruff release'. (I couldn't locate the sub-menu you referred to). With my Templot version I don't get the same options as those pictured in your reply to Paul.

The text I want to remove is shown in the attached pictures......

Do I need to install the scruff to get rid of this please?

Thanks

Ray

Martin Wynne wrote: Paul Boyd wrote: Hi Martin,
Hi Paul,

Welcome back. Have you been far? :)

Thanks for the suggestions. In fact there wasn't such an option on the template ID prefix, but there is now, untick this:

All these settings are included in the saved program preferences.

I have also moved the menu item from the sub-menu into the main menu to make it easier to find.

Attached below is a scruff release of Templot, version 2.23.x

Save the  templot_2.exe  file in your  C:\TEMPLOT_DEV\  folder (or wherever you keep Templot), to replace the one already there.

Windows will no doubt take a dim view of it and make you click through the usual security stuff.

It's the same as the current 2.23.c program update apart from these changes, and the previous changes in 2.23.z for Rob:

http://85a.co.uk/forum/view_topic.php?id=3488&forum_id=1#p27619

It also fixes the printing bug, see:

http://85a.co.uk/forum/view_topic.php?id=3500&forum_id=1

When printing the background templates, any platforms with a solid infill obliterate any text, such as timber numbering or "blunt nose" etc. Could it be arranged so that the platform is always underneath any text? Hatching partially solves this, but even so, the text then becomes chopped up.That's a more involved program change than I can put in a quick scruff release. But I have added the option above to allow the platforms to be switched on and off more easily. Generally the platforms aren't needed at the same time as the timber numbers and guide marks. The numbers are needed when printing an actual construction template to use on the workbench, the platforms are needed when printing a full track plan to lay out on the baseboard.

I will look at moving the timber numbers above the platforms in the next full update, but it's not straightforward because the platforms are part of the rails printing function -- which have to be above the timbering obviously.

cheers,

Martin.

Here is 2.23.x  (not exhaustively tested, please report any issues):

5th message | this message only posted: 13 Sep 2019 18:07
Paul Boyd

view images in gallery
view images as slides
Hi Martin
I may have found a glitch.  When printing with 2.23x, I've lost the switch drive marks.  They're visible on screen, and the setting in the new Output elements window is ticked, but they don't appear on the printed copy.  They do with 2.23c.  I've just confirmed that by saving the box file in 2.23.x, swapping the .exe files back then opening the same box file and printing.

Either there's a bug, or I've missed something!

Cheers,

Paul

6th message | this message only posted: 13 Sep 2019 20:49
Martin Wynne

view images in gallery
view images as slides

Post your questions on the forum where everyone can see them and add helpful replies.
Hi Paul, Ray,

Thanks for reporting that. I can confirm that the switch drive marks are missing on background templates (but OK on the control template) in 2.23.x   :(

Sorry about that, I will get it fixed as soon as poss. I've been afraid of this sort of thing happening more and more. My memory is now so bad that when I go blundering about in the code I leave unfinished loose ends and then forget to go back and tie them up again. I now spend hours and hours testing code changes to try to find any mistakes, but it's impossible to find everything.

Ray, you can remove the page corner text by unticking this menu item, but you will need to download the 2.23.x scruff version which I posted earlier in order to see it:   

In 2.23.c you can prevent that stuff showing by setting the font colour to white. You can use the same trick with any other text which you don't want to see.

But I'm wondering why you want to remove it? The printed output is intended to be an aid to track construction, it's not intended to look pretty. That's why they are called templates. :)

If you want something to look nice for display purposes or similar, you might do better to use one of the image file outputs, or maybe use the sketchboard.

cheers,

Martin.

7th message | this message only posted: 14 Sep 2019 08:56
Hull Paragon

view images in gallery
view images as slides
Martin

Thanks very much.

I'm not sure how the text I want to remove aids construction. The picture clearly shows the text cutting through the rails.....cutting along the red line doesn't help as the text (.....'This page begins.......') below the line remains. The only reason I want to remove it is because I don't like it, nothing more.  I don't want to lose anything else....just that. Incidentally, I can see that for large layouts the text tells one which sheets go next to each other......but for basic templates I don't think it is necessary.

In the meantime, I have just finished my first ever attempt at building my own track work....a 7mm OMF B7 crossover. All inspired by Templot (which, Martin, if I may say so, is a superb programme) and the efforts of others who have gone before me. The text didn't hinder me!

(Sorry if I have drifted from the main problem Paul highlighted).

Ray

8th message | this message only posted: 15 Sep 2019 00:16
Martin Wynne

view images in gallery
view images as slides

Hi Paul, Ray,

Here is another scruff release 2.23.w with the switch-drive marks fixed. :)

cheers,

Martin.

9th message | this message only posted: 15 Sep 2019 11:40
Martin Wynne

view images in gallery
view images as slides

Hull Paragon wrote: I'm not sure how the text I want to remove aids construction. The picture clearly shows the text cutting through the rails.....cutting along the red line doesn't help as the text (.....'This page begins.......') below the line remains. The only reason I want to remove it is because I don't like it, nothing more.
Hi Ray,

After the page has been trimmed to the red lines, all information about it would be lost. Before I added the big "wartermark" page ident numbers (which are optional), even the page number would be missing. If you have been doing a lot of Templot printing you can accumulate a big pile of printed pages. The information in the corners can be a help if you need to sort them out, or make a repeat print of one of them. See for example:

http://85a.co.uk/forum/view_topic.php?id=3006&forum_id=3#p21380

It's in very small print to minimise obscuring the template detail, but if not wanted you can easily remove it as indicated in my previous post. The additional menu options in the scruff release will be in the next program update shortly.

cheers,

Martin.

10th message | this message only posted: 15 Sep 2019 11:57
Paul Boyd

view images in gallery
view images as slides
Martin Wynne wrote: Here is another scruff release 2.23.w with the switch-drive marks fixed. :)

Hi Martin, that's sorted it, thank you!

11th message | this message only posted: 15 Sep 2019 13:16
Hull Paragon

view images in gallery
view images as slides
Thanks again Martin.

I ought to know by now that everything in Templot is there for a reason!!

Ray

12th message | this message only posted: 15 Sep 2019 13:34
Hull Paragon

view images in gallery
view images as slides
One more thing if I may?

Whenever I print/output a track plan, the only indication I get of what will be printed is a skeleton outline. All of the things referred to in the posts above (print this/omit that etc) are only apparent after the page is printed.

Is there a print preview option that will show what is to be printed in a full page window and on how many sheets (a la Adobe Acrobat) before you press the button?

Thanks and regards

Ray

13th message | this message only posted: 15 Sep 2019 14:54
Martin Wynne

view images in gallery
view images as slides

Hull Paragon wrote: One more thing if I may?

Whenever I print/output a track plan, the only indication I get of what will be printed is a skeleton outline. All of the things referred to in the posts above (print this/omit that etc) are only apparent after the page is printed.

Is there a print preview option that will show what is to be printed in a full page window and on how many sheets (a la Adobe Acrobat) before you press the button?
Hi Ray,

You can see how many pages and how many on each row on the print preview dialog:

There isn't an option to see a preview of the actual output -- that's usually available on the printer driver if you need it:

Alternatively you could try a test export to a PDF file.

Many of the settings could also be seen by exporting an image file, or by going to the sketchboard and changing the trackplan item to detail mode.

However, I can see that it might be useful to have a direct page preview available in Templot. I will look at doing that in the next program update.

It isn't there now because even after all these years I haven't myself felt the need for it. But usually after adding a new feature I find myself using it frequently and wondering why I didn't do it years ago!  :)

cheers,

Martin.

14th message | this message only posted: 15 Sep 2019 15:47
Hull Paragon

view images in gallery
view images as slides
Martin

Thanks for your usual prompt and detailed response....much appreciated.

Regards

Ray

15th message | this message only posted: 15 Sep 2019 19:37
Phil O
Plymouth, United Kingdom

view images in gallery
view images as slides
Hull Paragon wrote: One more thing if I may?

Thanks and regards

Ray
Hi  Ray,

For what you're showing there,  I would at least move the page origin up a bit to get the template on two pages and possibly left to see if it would fit on one page.

Cheers Phil.

16th message | this message only posted: 16 Sep 2019 18:56
Hull Paragon

view images in gallery
view images as slides
Phil

Thanks. I was aware of this....the image (which came from another thread that Martin had responded to) was only to show an example of the print preview conversation and the spread of pages.....not the location of the template. But thanks for the thought!

Ray

This is topic ID = 3499     Page created at 11:12 (local time)  
You can type a quick reply to this topic here.

Click in the box to begin.

But to reply to an individual message, or to include images, attachments and formatted text, use the reply buttons on each message above.

To start a new topic in this forum, click the Start new topic button below.
To start a new topic in a different forum, click the Forum Jump drop-down list below.

Start new topic 

click to jump to a different forum:     Back to top of page

Templot Club > Forums > I wish it would... > Text on top of platforms
about Templot Club

list recently active topics Templot Companion - User Guide - A-Z Index Templot Explained for beginners Please click: important information for new members and first-time visitors.
indexing link for search engines

back to top of page

Please read this important note about copyright: Unless stated otherwise, all the files submitted to this web site are copyright and the property of the respective contributor. You are welcome to use them for your own personal non-commercial purposes, and in your messages on this web site. If you want to publish any of this material elsewhere or use it commercially, you must first obtain the owner's permission to do so.

The small print: All material submitted to this web site is the responsibility of the respective contributor. By submitting material to this web site you acknowledge that you accept full responsibility for the material submitted. The owner of this web site is not responsible for any content displayed here other than his own contributions. The owner of this web site may edit, modify or remove any content at any time without giving notice or reason.
Problems with this web site? Contact webmaster@templot.com.   This web site uses cookies: click for information.  
© 2019