Templot Club Archive 2007-2020                             

topic: 3514Recent narrower Hornby coach wheels
author remove search highlighting

posted: 3 Oct 2019 15:09

Andy Reichert

click the date to link to this post
click member name to view archived images
view images in gallery view images as slides
I rarely buy any UK 00 RTR, but was given some latest run Hornby Gresley suburbans recently as a gift. On inspection, I was surprised to find that they have 0.1" wide wheels, particularly since a few years back their 2-6-4 BR tank to experiment with I had bought had 0.11" wide wheels, as per the NMRA HO spec.

Since I will be changing the wheels for P87 width ones, for use on 16.5 mm HO Track, it doesn't affect me, but It certainly won't help UK modellers using commercial 00 track. And, without checking, I thought the DOGA "specs" don't match that size wheel either.

Am I missing something, or is this a big goof on Hornby's part?

Andy

posted: 3 Oct 2019 15:34

Martin Wynne

West Of The Severn - United Kingdom

Andy Reichert wrote:
I rarely buy any UK 00 RTR, but was given some latest run Hornby Gresley suburbans recently as a gift. On inspection, I was surprised to find that they have 0.1" wide wheels, particularly since a few years back their 2-6-4 BR tank to experiment with I had bought had 0.11" wide wheels, as per the NMRA HO spec.

Since I will be changing the wheels for P87 width ones, for use on 16.5 mm HO Track, it doesn't affect me, but It certainly won't help UK modellers using commercial 00 track. And, without checking, I thought the DOGA "specs" don't match that size wheel either.

Am I missing something, or is this a big goof on Hornby's part?
Hi Andy,

I can't speak for Hornby, but that matches the traditional UK BRMSB "Scale 00" wheels at 2.5mm wide, and also the Romford/Markits kit wheels:

http://www.markits.com/about.html

In the olden days the Peco catalogue called them "Type A" scale 00 wheels.

Assuming the Hornby wheels have the corresponding 0.7mm effective flange thickness, for 00 those wheels should be set to the likewise traditional 14.5mm 00 back-to-back (instead of 14.4mm for NMRA RP25/110 with 0.8mm flanges).

As such they will run just fine on 00-SF (4-SF) track (16.2mm gauge, 1.0mm crossing flangeway).

A great many 00 track-builders have now gone over to the 00-SF standard.

To run on 00-BF or DOGA-Intermediate pointwork, it will be necessary to use sharp-nose vees to avoid or limit any wheel-drop in the crossings.

How they will run on commercial pointwork such as Peco I can't say.

(For use on EM the also traditional 16.5mm EM back-to-back, instead of 16.4mm for NMRA RP25/110 RTR wheels on EM.)

cheers,

Martin.

posted: 3 Oct 2019 20:24

Rob Manchester

Manchester - United Kingdom

Hi Andy,

I too have some Hornby Gresley Suburban coaches of the latest generation and the wheels are indeed 2.5mm wide ( 0.1" ). The back-to-backs are between 14.2 and 14.3mm as supplied. I also have a few Hornby BR( ex LMS ) surburban coaches purchased recently and they are the same in wheel width and BtB settings. All other RTR coaches of recent vintage from Bachmann/Hornby etc seem to have 2.8mm wide wheels.

The wheels can of course be pulled out on the axles with a NWSL puller or similar if required.

Rob

posted: 3 Oct 2019 21:34

Andy Reichert

Rob Manchester wrote:
Hi Andy,

I too have some Hornby Gresley Suburban coaches of the latest generation and the wheels are indeed 2.5mm wide ( 0.1" ). The back-to-backs are between 14.2 and 14.3mm as supplied. I also have a few Hornby BR( ex LMS ) surburban coaches purchased recently and they are the same in wheel width and BtB settings. All other RTR coaches of recent vintage from Bachmann/Hornby etc seem to have 2.8mm wide wheels.

The wheels can of course be pulled out on the axles with a NWSL puller or similar if required.

Rob
Oh Dear,

That sounds as though the BB is too tight to run through NMRA HO Turnouts. Also the later boxes say "00 Scale" whereas the loco box says "00 Gauge". Sticking with the NMRA US HO standard would have made life so much easier.

Getting the wheels out of the bogies non-destructively is a prerequisite to safely altering the BB. That looks to be extremely difficult without special tools, I'm expecting to have to cut through the axles and fit my own inside frame bogie chassis to hold the replacement wheels.

Andy

posted: 4 Oct 2019 00:28

Rob Manchester

Manchester - United Kingdom

Hi Andy,

No it isn't easy getting the wheels out on the Gresley coaches. You can risk spreading the bogie frames but be ready for the sound of cracking plastic :( The BR(ex LMS ) ones are very simple.

Rob

Templot Club > Forums > Templot talk > Recent narrower Hornby coach wheels
about Templot Club

Templot Companion - User Guide - A-Z Index Templot Explained for beginners Please click: important information for new members and first-time visitors.
indexing link for search engines

back to top of page

Please read this important note about copyright: Unless stated otherwise, all the files submitted to this web site are copyright and the property of the respective contributor. You are welcome to use them for your own personal non-commercial purposes, and in your messages on this web site. If you want to publish any of this material elsewhere or use it commercially, you must first obtain the owner's permission to do so.
The small print: All material submitted to this web site is the responsibility of the respective contributor. By submitting material to this web site you acknowledge that you accept full responsibility for the material submitted. The owner of this web site is not responsible for any content displayed here other than his own contributions. The owner of this web site may edit, modify or remove any content at any time without giving notice or reason. Problems with this web site? Contact webmaster@templot.com.   This web site uses cookies: click for information.  
© 2020