author remove search highlighting

posted: 16 Oct 2019 21:49

Paul Boyd

Loughborough - United Kingdom

click the date to link to this post
click member name to view archived images
view images in gallery view images as slides
Hi Martin
Have you seen the recent announcement from Yahoo, saying that they’re closing groups and will start deleting content from Dec 14th. Will that adversely affect anything here? I can’t remember what the relationship is, if there’s still one.

Yahoo groups closing

Cheers,
Paul

posted: 17 Oct 2019 08:07

Jim Guthrie

United Kingdom

It looks as though a jump to Groups.io now costs money so I suggest that we could probably put up with losing the copy emails on the Yahoo Group. Answers to threads had to be made via the forum in any case.

Jim.
Last edited on 17 Oct 2019 08:10 by Jim Guthrie
posted: 17 Oct 2019 09:50

richard_t

Nr. Spalding, South Holland - United Kingdom

Thanks for pointing this out. I hadn't noticed Yahoo groups was closing. The only one I'm interested in is the excellent BRCoachingStock group - the rest, like MERG and Templot now seem to have they're own forums now.

Richard.
Last edited on 17 Oct 2019 09:51 by richard_t
posted: 17 Oct 2019 09:54

d827kelly

Coventry - United Kingdom

Jim Guthrie wrote:
It looks as though a jump to Groups.io now costs money so I suggest that we could probably put up with losing the copy emails on the Yahoo Group. Answers to threads had to be made via the forum in any case.
A number of groups made the jump to Groups.io as Yahoo had said they'd be closing Yahoo Groups (and a number of other services) and selling off other parts of Yahoo (such as Flickr).

Does it cost money only to transfer to Groups.io or both to transfer and set up a new group?

posted: 17 Oct 2019 10:09

Martin Wynne

West Of The Severn - United Kingdom

Thanks Paul.

Looking at the announcement, it's not quite correct to say that Yahoo Groups is closing. What seems to be closing is the Yahoo Groups web site -- the email list distribution will continue.

The Templot Email Group on Yahoo was our only means of discussion from 2000 to 2007. At that point we started this Templot Club web forum instead. To minimize disruption to members, I arranged for all messages posted here to continue to be transmitted via the old email group to members who wished to receive them that way.

It seems that will continue, and even after 12 years there are still quite a few members who receive their Templot Club email messages that way. So no-one will need to do anything if they don't want to.

What this has meant is that we have now built up a 19-years archive of Templot messages on the Yahoo web site. Which it seems we shall now lose. Which is a shame, because the Yahoo site (when it worked) provided an excellent advanced Search function for the entire 19 years worth of messages. We have other means to search the last 12 years of Templot Club messages, but the previous 7 years of Templot group messages will be lost.

The vast majority of them are out-of-date anyway as far as Templot itself is concerned, but there were some valuable contributions and discussions about prototype practice which will be lost. It seems we have a couple of months until 14th December to find and copy any such messages. I will try to go through them and do that before then.

For more about all this, see our full Search page at:

http://85a.co.uk/forum/search_templot.htm

and scroll down to the bottom.

Our Yahoo message archive is at:

http://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/templot/conversations/messages?expand=1

The Templot email group web page also includes the Photos section, which still contains much useful material contributed by members in the early days. All that will also be lost. it can be found at:

http://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/templot/photos/photostream

http://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/templot/photos/albums

but you will need to be a member of the Yahoo group to access it.

cheers,

Martin.

posted: 17 Oct 2019 13:21

Nigel Brown

Yahoo isn't exactly clear about what they're doing, which makes me wonder if they'll eventually chop the email side as well.

The 3mm Society's web presence moved to groups.io some time ago, and has been fine.

posted: 17 Oct 2019 14:04

Bruce A Wilson

Barrie - Ontario Canada

There is a $110 fee to transfer to groups.io but that will port over everything.  After one year the group can revert to the free basic group.
Total storage on groups.io is 1Gb for photos and files combined.  More info

http://groups.io/static/pricing

Several groups are reporting they cannot access the files nor photos so that may be an issue.

posted: 22 Jan 2020 12:53

Judi R

Sutton-on-Sea - United Kingdom

For the past few days I have been receiving an email for every single posting on here, rather than the daily digest I had signed up for. It is also happening with the other Yahoo groups I'm subscribed to. It seems that Yahoo have suddenly and without warning switched everyone to individual emailing and have cancelled the daily digest. Is there anything that can be done about this?

Judi R

posted: 22 Jan 2020 13:10

Bruce A Wilson

Barrie - Ontario Canada

Nothing can be done. Yahoo has removed all past messages, files, photos, etc. from groups and are now just an email message board.

posted: 22 Jan 2020 13:21

John Shelley

St Ciers Sur Gironde 33820 - France

Judi R wrote:
For the past few days I have been receiving an email for every single posting on here, rather than the daily digest I had signed up for. It is also happening with the other Yahoo groups I'm subscribed to. It seems that Yahoo have suddenly and without warning switched everyone to individual emailing and have cancelled the daily digest. Is there anything that can be done about this?

Judi R
I suggest that you go to the "My Account" section of the Templot Club and opt into getting the daily digest direct from there and ditch the Yahoo thing completely.

John from 33820 St Ciers

Templot Club > Forums > Off track > Yahoo closing groups
about Templot Club

Templot Companion - User Guide - A-Z Index Templot Explained for beginners Please click: important information for new members and first-time visitors.
indexing link for search engines

back to top of page

Please read this important note about copyright: Unless stated otherwise, all the files submitted to this web site are copyright and the property of the respective contributor. You are welcome to use them for your own personal non-commercial purposes, and in your messages on this web site. If you want to publish any of this material elsewhere or use it commercially, you must first obtain the owner's permission to do so.
The small print: All material submitted to this web site is the responsibility of the respective contributor. By submitting material to this web site you acknowledge that you accept full responsibility for the material submitted. The owner of this web site is not responsible for any content displayed here other than his own contributions. The owner of this web site may edit, modify or remove any content at any time without giving notice or reason. Problems with this web site? Contact webmaster@templot.com.   This web site uses cookies: click for information.  
© 2020