topic: 3532Tramway track
author remove search highlighting

posted: 23 Oct 2019 17:39

ikcdab

Taunton - United Kingdom

click the date to link to this post
click member name to view archived images
view images in gallery view images as slides
I have used templot quite a lot and i think i am moderately familiar with its use. Its a great package and hugely useful.A friend has asked me to show him how to template a "tramway point with the turnout road of 8" radius". This is in 4mm so roughly 200mm radius.
I can see how to change the crossing angle, the minimum seeming to be 1:4. this is much more than the 8" (200mm) he desires.
I wonder if this is possible in templot as i wonder if points like this are prototypical. Maybe what he wants is more set-track. i have little knowledge how street tramways designed their track.
Any comments would be useful!
Thanks

posted: 23 Oct 2019 18:15

Martin Wynne

West Of The Severn - United Kingdom

ikcdab wrote:
I can see how to change the crossing angle, the minimum seeming to be 1:4. this is much more than the 8" (200mm) he desires.
Hi,

The shortest crossing angle in Templot is 1:1.5

Please can you say where you got the 1:4 figure from? There may be an error in the notes somewhere which I need to correct.

Templot doesn't know anything about tram track, because neither do I. :)

The quickest way to create something tram-like is to use a gaunt turnout, and set the gaunt offset to zero:

2_231304_300000000.png2_231304_300000000.png

Those settings are at template > gaunt options menu item (bottom of the menu).

You didn't specify a track gauge, so I assumed 16.5mm. I then found that a crossing angle of 1:2.38 (curviform) created your desired 8" radius.

The .box file for the above is attached below.

A gaunt turnout doesn't have a proper switch. Ideally you would create one as a custom switch based on the prototype tram-track drawings. But something could be improvised building on a template such as above. (Note that the line across between the rails marks the start of the curve, not a stretcher bar, which would likely be in the next timber space. Assuming tram tracks have stretcher bars.)

cheers,

Martin.
Attachment: attach_2931_3532_tram_size.box     120

posted: 23 Oct 2019 18:23

ikcdab

Taunton - United Kingdom

Hi Martin, thats very useful.i saw the 1:4 as the minimum selectable from the F6 key, but i now see that there is an "other" option where i can put in what i want.
Thank again, much appreciated.

posted: 24 Oct 2019 23:15

roythebus

Aldington Frith, Ashford, Kent - United Kingdom

From my observations of tram track, the radius can be quite deceptive. There's been a bit of chat about this on the RMweb in the "modelling tramways" section.

Tramway point don't usually have a constant radius, they appear to be like railway points with A,B,C etc switches so they don't go from straight to curve with no transition.

Maybe try an A-4 with curviform vee then a transition curve to a sharper radius.

The usual turning circle for a typical bus is about 56', 244mm. My opinion is that a tram turning circle would be a bit bigger than that, maybe 1 chain, 66", 284mm.

posted: 25 Oct 2019 17:07

Andy Reichert

"Pdf" Templates for near scale girder rail tram track are at:

http://www.proto87.com/Street_track_templates.html

These are published in two standards: HO Proto-87 16.5 mm gauge and RTR HO compatible, HO Street Fine. I haven't reviewed them for several years as I've been rather busy making up a full range of DIY kit versions for fellow tram enthusiasts for introduction this year. I'll dig out some pictures and post them shortly.
Last edited on 25 Oct 2019 17:10 by Andy Reichert
posted: 25 Oct 2019 19:28

Andy Reichert

726_251415_330000000.jpg726_251415_330000000.jpg

Single 8" radius milled turnout base

726_251425_360000000.jpg726_251425_360000000.jpg

Base with Rail and single points added.

726_251414_250000000.jpg726_251414_250000000.jpg

Full Grand Union milled base, with pavement partially added

726_251416_190000000.jpg726_251416_190000000.jpg

One leaf (1/4) of a Grand Union under construction.

Andy

posted: 26 Oct 2019 10:52

Hayfield

United Kingdom

Wow !!!!!!!

posted: 26 Oct 2019 12:01

Jim Guthrie

United Kingdom

That is excellent. I feel a need to model Glasgow trams again, :D

posted: 26 Oct 2019 19:23

Andy Reichert

I did put an early test running video on the Video of the Week Topic . Templot message ref: 27903

Andy

posted: 26 Oct 2019 19:29

Martin Wynne

West Of The Severn - United Kingdom

Andy Reichert wrote:
I did put an early test running video on the Video of the Week Topic . Templot message ref: 27903

Hi Andy,

See:   video full screen click here

topic 3505 - message 27903

Martin.

Templot Club > Forums > Templot talk > Tramway track
about Templot Club

Templot Companion - User Guide - A-Z Index Templot Explained for beginners Please click: important information for new members and first-time visitors.
indexing link for search engines

back to top of page

Please read this important note about copyright: Unless stated otherwise, all the files submitted to this web site are copyright and the property of the respective contributor. You are welcome to use them for your own personal non-commercial purposes, and in your messages on this web site. If you want to publish any of this material elsewhere or use it commercially, you must first obtain the owner's permission to do so.
The small print: All material submitted to this web site is the responsibility of the respective contributor. By submitting material to this web site you acknowledge that you accept full responsibility for the material submitted. The owner of this web site is not responsible for any content displayed here other than his own contributions. The owner of this web site may edit, modify or remove any content at any time without giving notice or reason. Problems with this web site? Contact webmaster@templot.com.   This web site uses cookies: click for information.  
© 2020