author remove search highlighting

posted: 6 Nov 2019 02:23

Martin Wynne

West Of The Severn - United Kingdom

click the date to link to this post
click member name to view archived images
view images in gallery view images as slides
Graeme wrote:
I am still profoundly ignorant of Templot from a user perspective, so I think I will wind my neck in for a few days and just play with the program and see what I can do with it. I will obviously not become an expert in that time, but I will probably increase my knowledge tenfold.
Sure.

I think you said that you are not only new to Templot but new to railway modelling in general?

Which makes it a bit surprising that you found us, and all the more welcome for that. An outsider's first impressions can be very valuable. :)

99 new modellers out of 100 would be starting with commercial track such as Peco, and designing it in a pick-and-place program such as AnyRail:

http://anyrail.com/

Or going for high-end stuff with full 3D representation and train running simulations:

http://trackplanning.com/

Also in the pick-and-place field is open-source XTrackCAD, as old as the hills Templot and open-sourced by Dave Bullis many years ago now:

http://www.xtrkcad.org/Wikka/HomePage

http://sourceforge.net/projects/xtrkcad-fork/

There was some tentative talk of a link with Templot a couple of years ago, and you may have noticed I included some "XTC Connectors" in the Templot templates. But nothing more has come of it (yet).

The above reads as if I'm trying to get rid of you! :)  That's certainly not the case, I just felt you might like to see where we fit in the landscape. Hand-built track is very much a niche area within the mainstream hobby.

cheers,

Martin.

posted: 6 Nov 2019 11:43

Graeme

Bangkok - Thailand

Martin Wynne wrote:
I think you said that you are not only new to Templot but new to railway modelling in general?

Which makes it a bit surprising that you found us, and all the more welcome for that. An outsider's first impressions can be very valuable. :)

99 new modellers out of 100 would be starting with commercial track such as Peco, and designing it in a pick-and-place program such as AnyRail:

Yes indeed. At the start of the year I stumbled on a video on YouTube (Everard Junction) which stunned me with the level of realism being created now. I thought static grass was just amazing.

I watched all his videos (and many others) but did not really consider building anything. All the layouts I saw were just tail chasers, and I could not imagine sitting watching trains go round once the layout was built. That just seemed far too 'train set' for me.  I was not smart enough to figure it out at the time, but what was disturbing me, I think, was that it was not realistic for a train to approach a particular station from one direction 27 times in a row.

Then I stumbled on Timewaster and Inglenook and videos by Jenny Kirk showing a very compact switching layout and I thought building a puzzle layout would  be fun AND produce something I could play with too.

Then I discovered branchlines/shelf layouts and videos of David Hyde's lovely layout Deresley, and and in particular how he operates it and I realised that this was for me. I could see lasting interest in the realistic operation of a realistic model.

I also watched a few videos of american layouts, where realistic operations is the whole point of the exercise. (Mind you, when you have a basement half the size of Yorkshire ...)

So I read up all about couplings and build a controller for DC control using a circuit I found somewhere (which works surprisingly well) and learned about DCC and learned about ... and ... and ...

Somewhere along the way, realism grew in importance, but I drew the line when I first saw track being hand laid. Straight track at that. It seemed mad to me. But I was drawn to that video. After about the 6th watching I started to think that might be a really satisfying thing to do. I found a video of someone hand-building point and found it fascinating.

I did get a copy of XTrackCAD (expecting to use Peco track) and have used it quite a bit over the last year, and learned a lot from it, but when I found Templot I knew I had to hand-build my track. Not an option.

I first saw your own writings helping out Michael Henfrey, whose videos I had also watched. That may have been how I found my way to Templot. I really don't recall. But I knew that it was the way forward for me.

Anyway - apologies for a long and probably boring ramble about my personal journey, but for me the emphasis is on the Modelling, not on the Railway. I was not really all that interested in trains per se. At least I was not until now. in the last few months I have devoured all I can find on signalling systems, interlocks, etc etc etc and now your postings on the 'prototype' pages, for which I can't thank you enough - absolutely fascinating stuff.

Cheers,

graeme

posted: 6 Nov 2019 12:18

Martin Wynne

West Of The Severn - United Kingdom

Thanks for that Graeme.

If you haven't seen it, you might like to look at Stoke Courtenay (40+ pages -- this one is just a sample):

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/112547-stoke-courtenay/page/34/

video full screen:

http://www.youtube.com/embed/9g-Qr-u8YKE?rel=0

Are you more interested in industrial grit or green and pleasant land? No doubt others will post some links here. :)

cheers,

Martin.

posted: 6 Nov 2019 14:51

Graeme

Bangkok - Thailand

Martin Wynne wrote:
... you might like to look at Stoke Courtenay ...
Are you more interested in industrial grit or green and pleasant land?
Stunning - thank you for that.

I am from the North East, so my natural inclination is towards industrial - oh but those rural landscapes look so beautiful!

Cheers,

graeme

Templot Club > Forums > Templot talk > back stories
about Templot Club

Templot Companion - User Guide - A-Z Index Templot Explained for beginners Please click: important information for new members and first-time visitors.
indexing link for search engines

back to top of page

Please read this important note about copyright: Unless stated otherwise, all the files submitted to this web site are copyright and the property of the respective contributor. You are welcome to use them for your own personal non-commercial purposes, and in your messages on this web site. If you want to publish any of this material elsewhere or use it commercially, you must first obtain the owner's permission to do so.
The small print: All material submitted to this web site is the responsibility of the respective contributor. By submitting material to this web site you acknowledge that you accept full responsibility for the material submitted. The owner of this web site is not responsible for any content displayed here other than his own contributions. The owner of this web site may edit, modify or remove any content at any time without giving notice or reason. Problems with this web site? Contact webmaster@templot.com.   This web site uses cookies: click for information.  
© 2020