topic: 3547Publishing of plans
author remove search highlighting

posted: 8 Nov 2019 16:57

KeithArmes

Macclesfield - United Kingdom

click the date to link to this post
click member name to view archived images
view images in gallery view images as slides
I have produced a Templot plan for a friend. Now he may like to include it in an article for a Model Railway journal. How does this fit with the Templot terms & conditions? Presumably an acknowledgement would be appropriate at least.

If its OK, any idea what file type would suit a publisher. PDF seems to give the best looking results on a screen.
Best wishes,
Keith

posted: 8 Nov 2019 18:59

Martin Wynne

West Of The Severn - United Kingdom

KeithArmes wrote:
I have produced a Templot plan for a friend. Now he may like to include it in an article for a Model Railway journal. How does this fit with the Templot terms & conditions? Presumably an acknowledgement would be appropriate at least.

If its OK, any idea what file type would suit a publisher. PDF seems to give the best looking results on a screen.
Hi Keith,

Thanks for asking. I don't insist on an acknowledgement but "Plan prepared by Keith Armes using Templot" or some such statement would be nice. What you can't do is write "Copyright Keith Armes" on it because I retain copyright in the general look and feel of Templot designs.

Yes, a PDF file is best, unless the publisher requests otherwise. If you mean the track plan templates, use the output > export a file function and set a page size for the PDF sufficient to contain the whole plan in a single page.

That is one reason why Templot has its integrated PDF export, because most other PDF generators don't allow for such large page sizes.

If you mean a colourful layout plan from the sketchboard, use file > export PDF file... on the sketchboard menus. The PDF page size will correspond to the current sketchboard page size (showing on the yellow rulers). You can change that on the page tab on the sketchboard control panel dialog.

(Then click the lock option on the trackplan tab if you don't want the plan to expand to fit the new page size when you next swap to the trackpad and back.)

cheers,

Martin.

posted: 8 Nov 2019 22:15

KeithArmes

Macclesfield - United Kingdom

Martin,
Thanks for your reply. That puts my mind at rest.

Best,
Keith

posted: 9 Nov 2019 17:06

Rob Manchester

Manchester - United Kingdom

Hi Martin,

Following on from Keith's question what is the situation if has a Templot plan for public viewing on a website ? ....and is it acceptable to offer a download of the BOX/BGS/etc files provided no charge is made for them ?

Rob

posted: 9 Nov 2019 17:47

Martin Wynne

Rob Manchester wrote:
Following on from Keith's question what is the situation if has a Templot plan for public viewing on a website ? ....and is it acceptable to offer a download of the BOX/BGS/etc files provided no charge is made for them ?
Hi Rob,

I think it is covered in para 5 in the terms of use:

http://templot.com/companion/terms_of_use.php

Essentially you can do anything you like with Templot-derived material, provided:

1. You don't charge for it. You can charge for your work and time in preparing it, but not for the material itself. In other words you can't demand its return. If you have a dispute with your customer, the actual Templot material is not part of it.

2. You don't claim copyright on it. In other words you don't try to prevent anyone else from copying it, using it, publishing it, etc.

I retain copyright on what comes out of Templot -- if I became aware of it being used in some offensive or undesirable way I could enforce my copyright to require its removal.

In theory that is. I hope it never comes to that, because the only winners in such situations are the lawyers -- and we are only talking about toy trains. :)

What may become a grey area is how this applies to Templot3 if others have contributed to it? If the template design remains as I designed it, my copyright in the design would endure. But if it is redesigned by others, that would no longer be the case. I'm not clear how the open-source licences apply to the actual output from software. :?

cheers,

Martin.

posted: 9 Nov 2019 18:06

Rob Manchester

Manchester - United Kingdom

Hi Martin,

Thanks for that. Anybody downloading a BOX file from the internet will need to have a copy of Templot2 ( or 3 ) to make use of it so should be aware of the T&Cs regarding its use.

Maybe you should embed a small rodent in each template :D

Rob

posted: 9 Nov 2019 18:19

d827kelly

Coventry - United Kingdom

With regards to the Open Source version of Templot. That really depends upon a couple of factors.

Firstly, what license Templot 3 is influenced under. There are a number of different Open Source licenses available such as GPL or Apache and many variations that give more or less rights to the creator as desired. This needs careful consideration. Not all of the code has to be a part of the overall license either depending upon the type of open source license used for the main code, so commercial derivatives could be possible if that were desired for instance - not saying they would be, but just an example.

For the output, you could use the various Creative Commons licenses, which have a variety of stipulations etc. There are other licenses that could apply here.

posted: 9 Nov 2019 18:25

Martin Wynne

d827kelly wrote:
With regards to the Open Source version of Templot. That really depends upon a couple of factors.

Firstly, what license Templot 3 is influenced under. There are a number of different Open Source licenses available such as GPL or Apache and many variations that give more or less rights to the creator as desired. This needs careful consideration. Not all of the code has to be a part of the overall license either depending upon the type of open source license used for the main code, so commercial derivatives could be possible if that were desired for instance - not saying they would be, but just an example.

For the output, you could use the various Creative Commons licenses, which have a variety of stipulations etc. There are other licenses that could apply here.

OpenTemplot, TemplotMEC, and Templot3 are released under GPL3.

2_091330_300000000.png2_091330_300000000.png

see:

http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-3.0.en.html

Martin.

Templot Club > Forums > Templot talk > Publishing of plans
about Templot Club

Templot Companion - User Guide - A-Z Index Templot Explained for beginners Please click: important information for new members and first-time visitors.
indexing link for search engines

back to top of page

Please read this important note about copyright: Unless stated otherwise, all the files submitted to this web site are copyright and the property of the respective contributor. You are welcome to use them for your own personal non-commercial purposes, and in your messages on this web site. If you want to publish any of this material elsewhere or use it commercially, you must first obtain the owner's permission to do so.
The small print: All material submitted to this web site is the responsibility of the respective contributor. By submitting material to this web site you acknowledge that you accept full responsibility for the material submitted. The owner of this web site is not responsible for any content displayed here other than his own contributions. The owner of this web site may edit, modify or remove any content at any time without giving notice or reason. Problems with this web site? Contact webmaster@templot.com.   This web site uses cookies: click for information.  
© 2020