Templot Club Archive 2007-2020                             

topic: 3571would you like a first look at Templot3 ?
author remove search highlighting

posted: 10 Dec 2019 11:41

Martin Wynne

West Of The Severn - United Kingdom

click the date to link to this post
click member name to view archived images
view images in gallery view images as slides
There has been a recent flurry of activity around Templot3, the open-source version of Templot.

If you would like to see what that is all about, there is a new option in Templot2 version 225d:

2_100619_180000000.png2_100619_180000000.png

If you click it, your running version of Templot2 will minimize to the taskbar, and Templot3 will open in its place. If you are in the middle of some important work, it would be a good idea to save it first.

This is not a finished version of Templot3, there is still a lot of work in progress. But it is fully functional and usable apart from the missing functions -- no sketchboard, no PDF exports, and a few others.

Don't get confused -- try using a different trackpad colour scheme from the one in Templot2. Notice too that the yellow hard-hat icon is green for Templot3.

Close it when you have seen enough, and restore your Templot2 from the taskbar.

If you choose to do some work in it, you will find the usual collection of sub-folders in the

C:\TEMPLOT_DEV\TEMPLOT3\

folder.

I'm posting it now mainly so that you can find and report the bugs -- there is bound to be some. Thanks. :)

If you are not already following the Templot3 discussions and would like to do so, see:

topic 3539

Many thanks to Graeme for his help with this and getting the open-source project restarted.

cheers,

Martin.

posted: 10 Dec 2019 21:06

Martin Wynne

Dasatcopthorne wrote:
I have opened Templot3 but is there a way of loading Templot2 files in this version or do you have to start all over again please?
Hi Dave,

For BOX template files it is necessary to use the compatible MECBOX transfer format. That means for old files in Templot2 they need to be reloaded first in Templot2 and then exported in MECBOX format.

You can do that for individual files from the storage box, or entire folders-full of old BOX files can be exported in MECBOX format from the file viewer.

For recent files since Templot2 version 224a, when saving as BOX files they are now also exported as MECBOX files at the same time (unless you turn that option off).

Once you have a MECBOX file, it can be imported into Templot3.

More about all this and how to export and import MECBOX files at:

topic 3555

For BGS background shapes files, they are now since Templot2 version 225b saved in BGS3 format, which can be reloaded directly in Templot3, and vice versa.

So for old BGS files, you just need to reload them in Templot2 and then save them again.

A big advantage of the new BGS3 format is that it is self-contained with any picture shapes/maps, so there is no longer any need to post separate SK81 files when attaching BGS3 files here. The trade-off against that is that they are a bit slower to load.

More technical stuff about BGS3 files at:

topic 3561

It's not necessary to understand any of that. Just save your background shapes from the latest version of Templot2 and reload them in Templot3.

In both cases you need to navigate from Templot2's files to Templot3's files.

By default Templot2's files are at:

C:\TEMPLOT_DEV\BOX-FILES\

By default this trial version of Templot3's files are at:

C:\TEMPLOT_DEV\TEMPLOT3\BOX-FILES\

So you need to jump back a couple of steps in Templot3 to find files from Templot2.

And likewise for \SHAPE-FILES\

Or wherever else you choose to save your Templot files of course.

This is all still new and experimental, so if any problems please let me know. Thanks.

For the time being you probably want to stick to Templot2 for actual work.

cheers,

Martin.

posted: 16 Dec 2019 10:57

Godfrey Earnshaw

Crawley - United Kingdom

Martin said (message ref: 28601),

I'm posting it now mainly so that you can find and report the bugs -- there is bound to be some. Thanks. :)

Here are my initial finds:

Data Entry box for Shove Timbers doesn't accept function key entry or Enter key.

All actions have to be with Mouse.

Seems to be all "enter data for" boxes

Peg/Align Tools sub menu has reverted to older version, only
"T make transition link", with L & R options, No
"S Make Simple Link" option
Last edited on 16 Dec 2019 10:59 by Godfrey Earnshaw
posted: 16 Dec 2019 11:05

Martin Wynne

Thanks Godfrey.

Yes I noticed the data-entry dialog is not working properly.

A lot of the recent new features in Templot2 such as make simple link have not yet been added to Templot3. It is still very much as it was when originally split from Templot2 18 months ago.

So there is still a lot to do. It's good to have them all reported here for reference, so thanks for that.

cheers,

Martin.

posted: 16 Dec 2019 11:11

Godfrey Earnshaw

Crawley - United Kingdom

Continued from above:
Just had the following error message, when using "make transition";

Templot 3

TListBox index 21 out of bounds 0..20

Press OK to ignore and risk data corruption

Press Abort to kill program

posted: 16 Dec 2019 16:14

Martin Wynne

Godfrey Earnshaw wrote:
Continued from above:
Just had the following error message, when using "make transition";

Templot 3

TListBox index 21 out of bounds 0..20

Thanks Godfrey.

Do you have a .box3 file you can post for that? I haven't been able to reproduce it here.

cheers,

Martin.

posted: 17 Dec 2019 09:31

Godfrey Earnshaw

Crawley - United Kingdom

Hi Martin,
I tried to retrieve the file from yesterday and there is no sign that it was ever created.

However, I have restarted Templot3 today recovered it and saved it.

I was making a transition on the LH track of the bottom 3-way

Cheers

Godders
Attachment: attach_2964_3571_midland_central_2019_12_17_0924_26.box3     92

posted: 17 Dec 2019 13:14

Martin Wynne

Godfrey Earnshaw wrote:
I was making a transition on the LH track of the bottom 3-way
Hi Godfrey,

Thanks for posting.

I'm seeing the same error message, so now to find it...

cheers,

Martin.

Templot Club > Forums > Templot talk > would you like a first look at Templot3 ?
about Templot Club

Templot Companion - User Guide - A-Z Index Templot Explained for beginners Please click: important information for new members and first-time visitors.
indexing link for search engines

back to top of page

Please read this important note about copyright: Unless stated otherwise, all the files submitted to this web site are copyright and the property of the respective contributor. You are welcome to use them for your own personal non-commercial purposes, and in your messages on this web site. If you want to publish any of this material elsewhere or use it commercially, you must first obtain the owner's permission to do so.
The small print: All material submitted to this web site is the responsibility of the respective contributor. By submitting material to this web site you acknowledge that you accept full responsibility for the material submitted. The owner of this web site is not responsible for any content displayed here other than his own contributions. The owner of this web site may edit, modify or remove any content at any time without giving notice or reason. Problems with this web site? Contact webmaster@templot.com.   This web site uses cookies: click for information.  
© 2020