Templot Club Archive 2007-2020                             

topic: 3580A second go - this time with flow (Ban Chang)
author remove search highlighting

posted: 16 Dec 2019 22:26

Graeme

Bangkok - Thailand

click the date to link to this post
click member name to view archived images
view images in gallery view images as slides
This is my second attempt - Ban Chang.

The main purpose is to introduce 'flow' which was of neccessity lacking in the first attempt (Asok Sidings).

The main features are:
  • it was designed to fit a space I actually have (3m x 60cm) (and it may even actually be built!)
  • entrance to the layout is in the top left corner (!) behind the brewery area
  • it is intended as an industrial shunting layout, so short turnouts, curviform crossings, etc.
  • the main driving feature is the curving mainline from the entrance to the small station (bottom right)
  • the station is for the delivery of workers in the local industries, though there is also a small goods shed to serve the nearby town - access from the right
  • the industry top right is some type of chemical processing plant which will probably extend into the large area top centre
  • the focus of the layout is the shunting yard (upper right)
  • the station runaround track doubles as the goods arrival
  • I think I should replace the 2 crossovers in the centre with a double slip, allowing the shunter to pull newly arrived goods trains from the runaround track directly back across the mainline into the head shunt
  • I have attempted 'shoving' of timbers on the turnouts at the ends of the run around (only) This appears to be more art than science. It's so tempting to put huge long timbers across multiple tracks. I may have been unrealistic with length here :D.
3620_161723_240000000.png3620_161723_240000000.png

I will post version 2 shortly with the double slip in the middle (I cant see a way of inserting it without re-drawing the whole thing from scratch) but would appreciate any thoughts, observations or comments as it stands.

Cheers,

graeme

Attachment: attach_2962_3580_banchang_2019_12_07_0854_01.box     97
Last edited on 16 Dec 2019 22:30 by Graeme
posted: 16 Dec 2019 22:32

Graeme

Bangkok - Thailand

... and the background shapes. (Can I have more than 1 attachment to a post here?)

Cheers,

g

Attachment: attach_2963_3580_banchang_19_12_07_0854_42.bgs3     95

posted: 16 Dec 2019 23:20

Martin Wynne

West Of The Severn - United Kingdom

Graeme wrote:
Can I have more than 1 attachment to a post here?
Hi Graeme,

No. That is:

a. a good thing. You can write some notes about each file (you must write at least one word in a post), and no-one will get confused about which file is which.

b. a bad thing. It can be a bit of a nuisance to post multiple replies. But if you have a lot of files to post, you can always zip them up.

Thanks for sharing. :)

cheers,

Martin.

posted: 16 Dec 2019 23:54

Martin Wynne

West Of The Severn - United Kingdom

Graeme wrote:
I will post version 2 shortly with the double slip in the middle (I cant see a way of inserting it without re-drawing the whole thing from scratch) but would appreciate any thoughts, observations or comments as it stands.
Hi Graeme,

Thanks for sharing. :)

You have used several A-4.5 turnouts which is not a very good size combination, especially for P4, with very sharp radii. Also not very prototypical, for an industrial yard. Loose-heel switches are much more likely (you don't have to actually build them with loose heels -- i.e. pivoted switch blades -- if you don't want to).

I suggest for each turnout:

1. put the peg on CTRL-4 to preserve the exit alignments.

2. in template > switch settings... change to a 9ft straight switch.

This will ease the radius a bit, and also shorten the turnout a bit, if you are tight for space.

But if you can make space, it would be much better to lengthen the crossing angles to 1:5.

9ft-5 turnouts will have a larger radius allowing a wider range of rolling stock in P4, without taking up too much extra space.

That change of angle will need quite a lot of re-drawing though.

You also have some B-5.28 turnouts, which is a very strange size indeed!

if you want something longer than 9ft-5, allowing for some gentle curving if needed, I suggest a 9ft-6 or 12ft-6 size would be more in keeping.

You can convert any turnout to an inside slip at tools > make slip > menu item.

However 1:5 is too short for a practical inside slip in P4. It would likely be an outside slip instead at that angle. Even 1:6 is tight for an inside slip in P4.

I'm not too clear where you want to put it?

cheers,

Martin.

Templot Club > Forums > Share and show > A second go - this time with flow (Ban Chang)
about Templot Club

Templot Companion - User Guide - A-Z Index Templot Explained for beginners Please click: important information for new members and first-time visitors.
indexing link for search engines

back to top of page

Please read this important note about copyright: Unless stated otherwise, all the files submitted to this web site are copyright and the property of the respective contributor. You are welcome to use them for your own personal non-commercial purposes, and in your messages on this web site. If you want to publish any of this material elsewhere or use it commercially, you must first obtain the owner's permission to do so.
The small print: All material submitted to this web site is the responsibility of the respective contributor. By submitting material to this web site you acknowledge that you accept full responsibility for the material submitted. The owner of this web site is not responsible for any content displayed here other than his own contributions. The owner of this web site may edit, modify or remove any content at any time without giving notice or reason. Problems with this web site? Contact webmaster@templot.com.   This web site uses cookies: click for information.  
© 2020