topic: 359650% off CrossOver for Mac and Linux
author remove search highlighting

posted: 14 Jan 2020 17:54

Martin Wynne

West Of The Severn - United Kingdom

click the date to link to this post
click member name to view archived images
view images in gallery view images as slides
CrossOver allows Templot to be run on a Mac computer under Wine, without needing Windows or programs such as Parallels Desktop, and at much lower cost. And also on Linux.

Just received this from Codeweavers. They have a half-price offer for an upgraded version of the latest Mac/Catalina-compatible CrossOver:

"Save up to 50% on CrossOver 19.0.1 for macOS and Linux.
Yes, it’s true that we just released Catalina-compatible CrossOver 19 in December, and in our haste to get it out before the end of the year we missed some critical bugs that required an immediate surgical fix."

Here's the link for the 50%-off deal on the upgraded Mac version 19.0.1:

http://www.codeweavers.com/store?deal=1901CX

cheers,

Martin.

posted: 14 Jan 2020 20:41

Rob Manchester

Manchester - United Kingdom

Hi Martin,

Thanks for the nudge re Crossover. I don't have a Mac but am at some point going to install Linux on my home PC's.

A question for Linux users is should I buy the 'official' version :-

2001_141538_310000000.jpg2001_141538_310000000.jpg

Importantly is there any likelyhood that some versions may not support Templot when combined with some Linux distributions ?

I am assuming the paid for versions of Crossover are for a single machine licence - is that true ?

Thanks
Rob

posted: 14 Jan 2020 21:15

Martin Wynne

Rob Manchester wrote:
I don't have a Mac but am at some point going to install Linux on my home PC's.
Importantly is there any likelyhood that some versions may not support Templot when combined with some Linux distributions
Hi Rob,

You can install Linux alongside Windows on a PC and choose which you want at switch-on. There is an option for this in the Linux installer.

When I originally did this with Ubuntu on my Windows7 system, installing Wine was a 1-click option on the System menu and everything worked fine, including Templot. No need for CrossOver at all.

Recently I upgraded to the latest version of Ubuntu and the 1-click option is now missing. I found getting Wine re-installed was quite a palaver. CrossOver makes it a lot easier. If you choose some other Linux distribution it may still have the one-click Wine installer.

I suspect it was removed because Wine is relying on support from Codeweavers.

I don't think there is any risk that particular combinations won't support Templot. Once you have Wine installed it should work the same for all.

p.s. hint. Wine makes it quite tricky to keep track of where your Templot data files are on disk. You can see them easily from within Templot, but finding them in Linux is a lot of drilling. It's a good idea to save your BOX and BGS files to an external drive or USB stick instead. Then you always know where they are, and they are easily accessed for email etc. :)

cheers,

Martin.

posted: 14 Jan 2020 22:15

Martin Wynne

p.s. Rob,

Your screenshot applies to Mac, not Linux, and the comparison is presumably with Mac Winebottler (free).

For Linux, you need to enter the 50% discount code 1901CX manually on the Linux order page:

2_141712_450000000.png2_141712_450000000.png 
The code is valid for 7 days from today.

cheers,

Martin.

posted: 14 Jan 2020 23:28

Martin Wynne

Rob Manchester wrote:
I am assuming the paid for versions of Crossover are for a single machine licence - is that true ?
Hi Rob,

Sorry, forgot to answer that bit.

It's for a single user, not a single machine. In other words you can install it on as many systems as you like, but only one person can be using any of them at any one time. Full details here:

http://www.codeweavers.com/products/more-information/eula

cheers,

Martin.

posted: 14 Jan 2020 23:36

Rob Manchester

Hi Martin,

Thanks for your thoughts - yes I did capture the Mac page. I had been flicking about all over the site....

I want to get away from Windows so don't want to go the with a dual boot system. I have just purchased a pile of USB sticks to try and keep data files off the system's hard drives.

Thanks for the license info. Do they have a system for actually checking if you have two machines on-line at once as I often do ? There could be somebody else sitting in the other room using my license.......

Rob

posted: 15 Jan 2020 00:12

Martin Wynne

Rob Manchester wrote:
Do they have a system for actually checking if you have two machines on-line at once as I often do ? There could be somebody else sitting in the other room using my license......
Hi Rob,

I doubt it - but if you get an email invoice for a second licence you will have your answer. :)

Before ditching Windows entirely you may want to try Templot on Wine. Sure it works, but it is a bit clunky in places. Also a few Windows-only functions are missing, such as the screenshot capture for the NLS maps. I haven't found a Linux replacement for the Windows TWebBrowser component -- maybe Graeme can help with that?

cheers,

Martin.

posted: 15 Jan 2020 19:30

Rob Manchester

Thanks Martin,

Maybe just keeping the main PC on Windows and using the 'niche' OS on the others may be a compromise solution. I will have a think.

Rob

posted: 15 Jan 2020 20:27

Trevor Walling

United Kingdom

Hello Rob,
           You may care to try PCLinuxOS. I have been using it for years and find it really straight forward to use. Templot with wine works fine for me and has done for a long time. There is also a PCLinuxOS forum with lots of friendly and helpful user's should you have a problem. You could try a live cd or USB version to see if it is what you want before deciding to install on a PC. It is a rolling release which means you can update everything as you want when you want unlike Microsoft products.
Regards.
Trevor :)

posted: 15 Jan 2020 20:53

Rob Manchester

Hi Trevor,
Thanks for your suggestion. Downloading it now and going to burn a DVD and put it on a spare laptop for a trial. You do realise the dangers of making suggestions like this :? - will report back.
Thanks
Rob

Templot Club > Forums > Templot talk > 50% off CrossOver for Mac and Linux
about Templot Club

Templot Companion - User Guide - A-Z Index Templot Explained for beginners Please click: important information for new members and first-time visitors.
indexing link for search engines

back to top of page

Please read this important note about copyright: Unless stated otherwise, all the files submitted to this web site are copyright and the property of the respective contributor. You are welcome to use them for your own personal non-commercial purposes, and in your messages on this web site. If you want to publish any of this material elsewhere or use it commercially, you must first obtain the owner's permission to do so.
The small print: All material submitted to this web site is the responsibility of the respective contributor. By submitting material to this web site you acknowledge that you accept full responsibility for the material submitted. The owner of this web site is not responsible for any content displayed here other than his own contributions. The owner of this web site may edit, modify or remove any content at any time without giving notice or reason. Problems with this web site? Contact webmaster@templot.com.   This web site uses cookies: click for information.  
© 2020