topic: 3599Zoom on print map
author remove search highlighting

posted: 22 Jan 2020 12:29

Gordon S

click the date to link to this post
click member name to view archived images
view images in gallery view images as slides
Hi Martin, quick question for you....:D 
Is there a zoom facility on the print map? As you know I use grouping a lot and sometimes I just want a crossover plus a few inches of the approach/exit track. I find it quite difficult to actually see where the crossover is on the map. Here's a pic. but of course it is larger than the normal screen size, so doesn't look as bad.

Is there an issue with upload images? I followed the route and it started the upload, but nothing happened. It's a 557KB jpeg image and I waited four minutes.....

I now added it as an attachment.

The page preview helps, but that's much larger and I have to check each page individually.

I'm sure there is a way to zoom in on the print map so I can select the three or for pages required, but haven't found one yet.

Grateful for any pointers.....

Attachment: attach_2981_3599_DSCF0202.jpg     127
Last edited on 22 Jan 2020 12:31 by Gordon S
posted: 22 Jan 2020 14:19

Martin Wynne

West Of The Severn - United Kingdom

Hi Gordon,

Sorry, there isn't a way to zoom the page-map preview on the screen. It sometimes helps to reduce the font size for the page labels on that screen, click the font... button on the dialog (see below, top right).

What you are intended to do, is to print out the page-map on paper. You can then refer to that to see the page numbers which you want to print (using a magnifying glass if necessary). Switch the printer on and click this button:

2_220904_050000000.png2_220904_050000000.png

If you have a full maximum run of 858 pages, that is the only practical way to see the page numbers.

The above dialog and way of working has remained almost unchanged since the beginning of Templot. It has always contained several niggles such as this. Following your previous suggestion of a means to go backwards in the page selection, I have finally got round to doing something about it. I'm in the process of a complete re-write for this part of Templot, including an ability to zoom the screen, and select pages at random by clicking on them. It will be in the next program update, but not for a few weeks yet.

p.s. sorry, I don't know what went wrong with the image upload. It seems to be working ok here now. It's best just to wait a few minutes and try again. Maybe just an internet glitch -- it does have to get all the way to Ohio and at this time of year the weather can be bad for getting about. :)

cheers,

Martin.

posted: 22 Jan 2020 16:10

Gordon S

Thanks as always, Martin. I'm always wary of asking a question, as many times they are simply my lack of full understanding of Templot rather than a must have. These really aren't life or death issues and in most instances, are the years catching up with me and eyesight that is not 100% these days....

Hopefully as users, we all flag up thoughts that might become part of future releases, but only if they are simple to do.
I rarely if ever print out the page map and just select the pages to print from the map via the print dialogue.

At least it saves one extra page......:D
Last edited on 22 Jan 2020 16:12 by Gordon S
posted: 23 Jan 2020 07:45

Martin Wynne

Gordon S wrote:
I'm always wary of asking a question, as many times they are simply my lack of full understanding of Templot rather than a must have. These really aren't life or death issues
... ...
Hopefully as users, we all flag up thoughts that might become part of future releases, but only if they are simple to do.
Hi Gordon,

Yes please, don't be wary of asking and suggesting things. The only way I know what folks are doing with Templot is from the feedback received.

Don't worry, gone are the days when I might spend time on something I don't really want to do. I enjoy coding, but only on stuff I know I will find useful myself. :)

Just now I've been side-tracked back into the 3D printing, after visiting a friend's layout a few days ago. There's a lot of unfinished 3D DXF stuff in Templot at present.

cheers,

Martin.

posted: 25 Jan 2020 19:20

Gordon S

Thought you may be interested in this. I printed off a print map of the section I'm working on and sadly even on A4 paper, it's still to small to see where the particular crossover is I'm working on.

I can cope with it, so no need to do anything. The pic is for info only....

Still can't upload an image. Perhaps it's something with a Mac/Safari. I'll try and attach the image.

Attachment: attach_2982_3599_Scan.jpg     117

posted: 25 Jan 2020 21:18

Rob Manchester

Manchester - United Kingdom

Test image upload from Win7/Firefox, sorry no other browsers available :(

2001_251617_020000000.jpg2001_251617_020000000.jpg

Rob

posted: 25 Jan 2020 21:38

Martin Wynne

Gordon S wrote:
Thought you may be interested in this. I printed off a print map of the section I'm working on and sadly even on A4 paper, it's still to small to see where the particular crossover is I'm working on.

I can cope with it, so no need to do anything.
Hi Gordon,

Well clearly there is a need to do something, so thanks for posting this. :(

The problem is being made worse by the presence of trackbed edges on the preview.

As I said I'm working on a re-write of this part of Templot.

In the meantime, don't forget that you can put the page outlines on the normal trackpad, and zoom in. It doesn't show the page numbers, but from the position and layout of page joins it may help you to find the one required:

2_251636_360000000.png2_251636_360000000.png

cheers,

Martin.

p.s. thanks Rob for testing.

Templot Club > Forums > I wish it would... > Zoom on print map
about Templot Club

Templot Companion - User Guide - A-Z Index Templot Explained for beginners Please click: important information for new members and first-time visitors.
indexing link for search engines

back to top of page

Please read this important note about copyright: Unless stated otherwise, all the files submitted to this web site are copyright and the property of the respective contributor. You are welcome to use them for your own personal non-commercial purposes, and in your messages on this web site. If you want to publish any of this material elsewhere or use it commercially, you must first obtain the owner's permission to do so.
The small print: All material submitted to this web site is the responsibility of the respective contributor. By submitting material to this web site you acknowledge that you accept full responsibility for the material submitted. The owner of this web site is not responsible for any content displayed here other than his own contributions. The owner of this web site may edit, modify or remove any content at any time without giving notice or reason. Problems with this web site? Contact webmaster@templot.com.   This web site uses cookies: click for information.  
© 2020