author remove search highlighting

posted: 21 Feb 2020 10:02

Paul Boyd

Loughborough - United Kingdom

click the date to link to this post
click member name to view archived images
view images in gallery view images as slides
Hi Martin
I'm noticing that some emails from the Templot Forum are either being delayed or don't arrive at all.  For instance, in the "Beginners queries" thread, I've only had the email reply about Templot being a 3D program, timed at 05:19 (don't you sleep?!?!?)  The previous two posts haven't (yet) arrived, and neither are they in any junk folders.  I've also noticed this on other threads, but can't work out a pattern.  The delays have been as much as a few days!

Is this just me, or is anyone else seeing this?
Edit:- this post came through by email virtually instantly, of course!

Cheers,
Paul
Last edited on 21 Feb 2020 10:04 by Paul Boyd
posted: 21 Feb 2020 10:26

John Shelley

St Ciers Sur Gironde 33820 - France

Paul Boyd wrote:
Hi Martin
I'm noticing that some emails from the Templot Forum are either being delayed or don't arrive at all.  For instance, in the "Beginners queries" thread, I've only had the email reply about Templot being a 3D program, timed at 05:19 (don't you sleep?!?!?)  The previous two posts haven't (yet) arrived, and neither are they in any junk folders.  I've also noticed this on other threads, but can't work out a pattern.  The delays have been as much as a few days!

Is this just me, or is anyone else seeing this?
Edit:- this post came through by email virtually instantly, of course!

Cheers,
Paul
I've seen similar effects, but not on Templot Forum, as yet that is.  Messages arrive out of order and occasionally after a couple of days, I can't see any commonality of theme for the delays though.   This morning I received one from SREmG  io Group that was posted on 06/01/2020.  I haven't yet bothered to try and determine where it's been for its holidays.

The important thing to remember is that we are dealing with computers here and we all know how reliable don't we.   :D

John from 33820 St Ciers sur Gironde

posted: 21 Feb 2020 20:24

Trevor Walling

United Kingdom

Hello,
It could be a server somewhere on the route that particular bit of data is taking that has an issue.
Regards
Trevor.:)

posted: 21 Feb 2020 21:09

Nigel Brown

I've no trouble at all with emails. I used to have this problem some time ago; changing email suppliers cured it.

At that time email was provided by my ISP, so the improvement came about by swapping ISPs. More recently I've changed to using an independant email supplier, so I can change ISPs without affecting email, if I want to. I recently switched my ISP from Phone Co-op, who were OK, to BT, to gain ultrafast fibre broadband, which is fine.
Last edited on 21 Feb 2020 21:14 by Nigel Brown
posted: 21 Feb 2020 21:36

Rob Manchester

Manchester - United Kingdom

Hi Paul,

I get two emails for each posting on Templot. One from Data1systems in Ohio which is where Templot is hosted and another via the Yahoo Groups service ( which I could have my mailer filter out I guess ).

The messages from the Templot server are always quick to arrive, usually within 10 seconds. The Yahoo ones are 95% the same in terms of timing but the odd few can take anything from an hour to a whole day.

Rob

posted: 21 Feb 2020 21:57

Paul Boyd

The only two emails I had were my original one, which arrived immediately, and those from Nigel Brown and Rob Manchester which also arrived very quickly.  It is only some Templot emails that are affected so it's presumably not an issue with my mail client (iCloud) unless it's an intermittent one.  The two I had came from data1systems, but obviously I can't check the other two (John Shelley and Trevor Walling) as I haven't had them.  I don't get any from Yahoo.
Did everyone else on this thread get all five emails (six, now!)

posted: 21 Feb 2020 22:58

Martin Wynne

West Of The Severn - United Kingdom

Paul Boyd wrote:
Did everyone else on this thread get all five emails (six, now!)
Hi Paul,

I received all 6, and all within a few seconds of the date-stamp here on the forum. Looking at the email headers, I can't see anything abnormal.

Bear in mind that we share a server with Larry Hancock's electric fan collectors:

http://afcaforum.com/

I know Jim has some software in place to limit the burst speed of emails sent from the server, so that the server doesn't get marked as an untrusted spam source by some of the networks. That means that if there is a simultaneous post on the AFCA forum (which has many thousands of members), our combined emails may be spread out over a few minutes.

But I suspect the problem is a failure on whichever transatlantic network is used by your ISP. No doubt they will get it fixed, and any missing emails will appear in a day or two.

Did you know we have an RSS feed* from Templot Club:

http://85a.co.uk/forum/index.php?rss=recent

I use the excellent Feedbro feed reader in Firefox:

http://addons.mozilla.org/en-GB/firefox/addon/feedbroreader/

*the RSS link icon seems to have gone missing from forum pages (no-one has mentioned it). I will get it back. :?

cheers,

Martin.

posted: 1 Apr 2020 09:39

Paul Boyd

Hi all
I thought I'd update you on this.  Since posting, I realised that other emails were not arriving so there was clearly a problem elsewhere.  The reason I thought it was only Templot was because it was obvious when emails were missing, but I hadn't at that time realised that I wasn't getting some emails that I had no interest in anyway!  The problem was intermittent and random, and it seemed no-one else here was seeing a similar problem.

To cut a long story short, the problem was with my domain name registrar, TSOhost, who took my domain over from Daily.  TSOhost seem to have a bit of a problem with their servers being blocked, in this case by Apple.  I was able to find out what was happening as someone had a bounce 24hrs after sending which contained all the relevant header info, which they passed onto me.

I've now moved my domain to GoDaddy and all seems well so far - in fact I had a couple of days worth of email backlog all come in at around 5:30 this morning!  I hadn't realised that email forwarding was no longer a default part of these packages so I had to pay for a year's worth of that, but have since realised that I needn't have done that so my other domain forwards for free.  If that's reliable, I'll switch my main domain over to the free method in a year. (Improvmx, if anyone is interested!)

I'm also going to re-evaluate my whole email usage!  The original reason for using my own domain name was that in the old days your email address was tied to your internet provider, so changing provider meant telling everyone your new email address and changing login details on websites.  However, that's no longer true!  I already have both Outlook and iCloud email addresses which will stay for as long as Microsoft and Apple stay around, I'm already using my iCloud email address to forward emails to, so that'll become my default "logging into websites" email address, ultimately probably no longer using my domain name for emails, just the website.

What a palaver!

Cheers,
Paul
Last edited on 1 Apr 2020 09:43 by Paul Boyd

Templot Club > Forums > Off track > Emails missing or delayed?
about Templot Club

Templot Companion - User Guide - A-Z Index Templot Explained for beginners Please click: important information for new members and first-time visitors.
indexing link for search engines

back to top of page

Please read this important note about copyright: Unless stated otherwise, all the files submitted to this web site are copyright and the property of the respective contributor. You are welcome to use them for your own personal non-commercial purposes, and in your messages on this web site. If you want to publish any of this material elsewhere or use it commercially, you must first obtain the owner's permission to do so.
The small print: All material submitted to this web site is the responsibility of the respective contributor. By submitting material to this web site you acknowledge that you accept full responsibility for the material submitted. The owner of this web site is not responsible for any content displayed here other than his own contributions. The owner of this web site may edit, modify or remove any content at any time without giving notice or reason. Problems with this web site? Contact webmaster@templot.com.   This web site uses cookies: click for information.  
© 2020