topic: 36184-SF as a less arduous substitute for P-87
author remove search highlighting

posted: 25 Feb 2020 16:58

Alan McMillan

Edinburgh - United Kingdom

click the date to link to this post
click member name to view archived images
view images in gallery view images as slides
Although I've had plans for a Swiss layout for years, it never got off the ground for various reasons and I'm now back to thinking I'd like to make a start on it once again.
In my younger days I was a fundamentalist perfectionist and to that end demanded of myself that I build my dream layout in P87.  It looked terrific on Templot but I quickly realised that three things were going to stop me in my tracks (no pun intended). 1. It was far too ambitious. 2. It was going to take more years to build than I have left on this planet and, 3. The cost, time and difficulty involved in converting my very large stock roster's wheels was going to be silly. I also had a horrible feeling that if I took this on, I was going to become disheartened by the lack of progress and the project might just lie unfinished and gather dust...something SWMBO would not be best pleased about. As a result of all this, the plan died and was filed away.
Now I'm thinking that I might attempt to use 4-SF track standards with modified sleeper spacings to give me the best possible track appearance whilst allowing me to run my Roco/Lima/Hag locos and coaches as they are without having to replace the wheels. It also means I could use Peco points in my fiddle yard and have tighter radius curves in the return loops from the scenic section to the fiddle yard, thereby reducing the space taken up.
Is the idea sound? Or am I missing something?
Last edited on 25 Feb 2020 22:37 by Alan McMillan
posted: 25 Feb 2020 18:31

Martin Wynne

West Of The Severn - United Kingdom

Alan McMillan wrote:
I might attempt to use 4-SF track standards with modified sleeper spacings to give me the best possible track appearance whilst allowing me to run my Roco/Lima/Hag locos and coaches as they are without having to replace the wheels. It also means I could use Peco points in my fiddle yard and have tighter radius curves in the return loops from the scenic section to the fiddle yard, thereby reducing the space taken up.

Is the idea sound? Or am I missing something?
Hi Alan,

Sounds good to me. :)

Bear in mind that you will need to check/adjust the wheel back-to-backs on your RTR models to make sure they meet the 4-SF (00-SF) limits:

Back-to-back: 14.3mm Minimum

Back-to-flange: 15.2mm Maximum

The latter means a back-to-back Maximum of 14.4mm if your models are fitted with wheels to the NMRA RP25/110 profile.

If not, to find the maximum back-to-back subtract the flange thickness from 15.2mm. For a method to measure flange thickness see:

topic 3380 - message 27343

It's likely that most of the models will meet the limits without needing adjustment.

cheers,

Martin.

posted: 25 Feb 2020 22:36

Alan McMillan

Thanks Martin for the thumbs up...and for the hint on measuring flange thickness. Looks like I'm back in business!

All the Best

Alan

posted: 25 Feb 2020 23:16

roythebus

Aldington Frith, Ashford, Kent - United Kingdom

Isn't there an HO gauge option that caters for what you want, 16.2 gauge with HO sleeper spacing?

posted: 25 Feb 2020 23:29

Rob Manchester

Manchester - United Kingdom

roythebus wrote:
Isn't there an HO gauge option that caters for what you want, 16.2 gauge with HO sleeper spacing?
Hi Roy,
There is HO-SF ( listed in Templot ) which has 1.05mm flangeways and 16.2mm gauge. It was being pushed by some societies in the US a while back.
Rob

posted: 26 Feb 2020 01:14

Martin Wynne

Rob Manchester wrote:
roythebus wrote:
Isn't there an H0 gauge option that caters for what you want, 16.2 gauge with HO sleeper spacing?
Hi Roy,
There is H0-SF ( listed in Templot ) which has 1.05mm flangeways and 16.2mm gauge. It was being pushed by some societies in the US a while back.
Rob
Hi Alan, Roy, Rob,

H0-SF is a track standard of the Australian Model Railway Association.

It is virtually identical to 4-SF (00-SF).

However, it's important to understand that setting a scale and gauge in Templot does just that and no more. It doesn't set the timber spacing, rail section, or any other prototype data.

There isn't such a thing as "H0 sleeper spacing". The timbering sizes and spacings vary with different prototypes. The default prototype settings in Templot for any scale or gauge are always UK-style REA bullhead. So simply selecting H0-SF gets you UK bullhead track at 3.5mm/ft.

To set any other prototype data, the templates need to be customized accordingly. And then ideally saved as library templates for re-use.

cheers,

Martin.

posted: 26 Feb 2020 11:11

Alan McMillan

Hi Roy

I'll only be using 4-SF as a gauge and flangeway standard and since I'll be building all the track myself, I can set the sleepering to whatever I want in Templot. I won't be using any preset "HO" spacing since that usually follows American practice if indeed it exists at all.

Alan

posted: 26 Feb 2020 11:30

Martin Wynne

Alan McMillan wrote:
I'll only be using 4-SF as a gauge and flangeway standard and since I'll be building all the track myself, I can set the sleepering to whatever I want in Templot.
Hi Alan,

Bear in mind that setting 4-SF sets the scale to 4mm/ft.

You probably want to create your own custom gauge called 3.5-SF or whatever. You can then use the prototype sizes in Templot in the usual way.

3.5-SF
scale: 3.5mm/ft
gauge: 16.2mm
flangeway gap: 1.0mm
flangeway end gap: 1.6mm
adjacent track centres: whatever

cheers,

Martin.

posted: 26 Feb 2020 12:36

Alan McMillan

Thanks for that Martin. It never really impinged that there would be a difference. Along with those presets you've listed, is there a way now to set the default sleeper spacing? There wasn't an easy way to do it in the version of Templot I was using in 2011.

Regards

Alan
Last edited on 26 Feb 2020 12:36 by Alan McMillan
posted: 26 Feb 2020 13:05

Martin Wynne

Alan McMillan wrote:
Thanks for that Martin. It never really impinged that there would be a difference. Along with those presets you've listed, is there a way now to set the default sleeper spacing? There wasn't an easy way to do it in the version of Templot I was using in 2011.
Hi Alan,

It has always been possible, nothing has changed:

2_260759_350000000.png2_260759_350000000.png

There is info about setting custom rail lengths and sleeper spacings here:

http://templot.com/martweb/pdf_files/gwr_track_panels.pdf

That tutorial was written by Stuart Hince several years ago, but it is still valid for Templot2. It is specifically for GWR 44ft-6in track panels, so you need to change the dimensions accordingly.

See also:

http://templot.com/companion/timber_spacings_overview.php

cheers,

Martin.

posted: 26 Feb 2020 13:58

Alan McMillan

Thanks for that Martin

Alan

Templot Club > Forums > Templot talk > 4-SF as a less arduous substitute for P-87
about Templot Club

Templot Companion - User Guide - A-Z Index Templot Explained for beginners Please click: important information for new members and first-time visitors.
indexing link for search engines

back to top of page

Please read this important note about copyright: Unless stated otherwise, all the files submitted to this web site are copyright and the property of the respective contributor. You are welcome to use them for your own personal non-commercial purposes, and in your messages on this web site. If you want to publish any of this material elsewhere or use it commercially, you must first obtain the owner's permission to do so.
The small print: All material submitted to this web site is the responsibility of the respective contributor. By submitting material to this web site you acknowledge that you accept full responsibility for the material submitted. The owner of this web site is not responsible for any content displayed here other than his own contributions. The owner of this web site may edit, modify or remove any content at any time without giving notice or reason. Problems with this web site? Contact webmaster@templot.com.   This web site uses cookies: click for information.  
© 2020