topic: 3620New to Templot
author remove search highlighting

posted: 27 Feb 2020 20:30

Colin Glenister

Kelty, Fife, Scotland - United Kingdom

click the date to link to this post
click member name to view archived images
view images in gallery view images as slides
I have just downloaded Templot on Windows10 & Windows8 laptops. On both of these downloads I get the message that templot.com is not a secure site. Also, neither laptop will permit videos to be downloaded.
What can be done to rectify this without compromising the security of my internet access?

Also how do I insert my layout size upon which I can design and add templates?

posted: 27 Feb 2020 21:22

Martin Wynne

West Of The Severn - United Kingdom

Colin Glenister wrote:
I have just downloaded Templot on Windows10 & Windows8 laptops. On both of these downloads I get the message that templot.com is not a secure site. Also, neither laptop will permit videos to be downloaded.
What can be done to rectify this without compromising the security of my internet access?
Hi Colin,

Welcome to Templot Club. :)

The Templot program and the templot.com web site are two different things.

The Templot program is unsigned because it is free. Code signing certificates cost a significant sum in annual charges.

You can safely download and install Templot. Thousands of others have done so, without the sky falling in. But if you want to check the MD5 hash on the current 225d download, it is:

A793A949975D23462053304436513512

(When you use the automatic process for program updates, Templot checks the MD5 on downloading the update.)

This Templot Club forum and templot.com are not secure web sites because they don't need to be. There is nothing on here which is in any way sensitive. (If you change your login password, do not use one which you use on other web sites.)

Making them fully secure would mean a lot of work, including deleting some valuable content, for no practical gain.

You can get a partially secure access if you do need it for some reason, by using this link:

http://85a.co.uk/forum/

Also how do I insert my layout size upon which I can design and add templates?

Do you mean the size of the baseboards and/or railway room? See:

topic 3583

cheers,

Martin.

posted: 28 Feb 2020 10:00

Colin Glenister

Thanks for the info Martin. I still can't downl9ad the videos though

posted: 28 Feb 2020 11:25

Martin Wynne

Colin Glenister wrote:
Thanks for the info Martin. I still can't download the videos though
Hi Colin,

Which videos do you mean?

Which browser are you using?

What message(s) do you see (the exact wording)?

Are you using any 3rd-party anti-virus programs other than Windows Defender? (You don't need them.)

For the Templot SK5 videos you should see something like this when you click the link (this is Firefox):

2_280608_060000000.png2_280608_060000000.png

and when you click OK Templot will download the video (if it hasn't previously done so), and then play it in Templot's own video player in FBR format.

(In browsers other than Firefox, you may have to click Run instead of OK, and it may be at the bottom of the screen instead of in the middle.)

This is the best way of viewing the videos because you get optimum dot-for-dot image quality, the smallest download file once only, and the full interactive features.

This format works perfectly here on every system I try it, and in all browsers.

But so many folks seem to have problems with it (usually due to using 3rd-party antivirus programs) that the videos are also available online in inferior MP4 quality. For example the above one is at:

http://flashbackconnect.com/Movie.aspx?id=QBDJMDgdiC7PwRqLS2U3jg2

Because of the complaints, I'm not going to spend time in future creating the SK5 versions, and videos will be available online in MP4 only.

cheers,

Martin.

posted: 28 Feb 2020 11:39

Colin Glenister

Hi Martin

I tried downloding the video in your reply.

I use Win10 Defender, & Chrome.

I don't get the window in your screenshot, just a message saying the file cannot be found

posted: 28 Feb 2020 12:28

Martin Wynne

Colin Glenister wrote:
Hi Martin

I tried downloding the video in your reply.

I use Win10 Defender, & Chrome.

I don't get the window in your screenshot, just a message saying the file cannot be found
Hi Colin,

That window is in Firefox. All browsers are different.

I just tried this link in Chrome:

http://templot.com/sk5/starter_track_plan_.sk5

It worked fine (Windows10), and I see the usual Chrome download options at the bottom left of the screen:

2_280722_200000000.png2_280722_200000000.png

and clicking Open downloads and plays the video in the Templot player.

I don't know why so many folks have problems, when everything always works fine here, but as I said I'm going to stick to online MP4 in future. These days it's all getting too much to think about.

Martin.

posted: 28 Feb 2020 12:58

Colin Glenister

Thanks for all your help Martin.

I'll have another go after lu ch

posted: 28 Feb 2020 14:48

Colin Glenister

This what i get on my screen when i use the http://templot.com/sk5/starter_track_plan.sk5 link then attempt to run the sk5 file

Attachment: attach_2997_3620_20200228_144118.jpg     92

posted: 28 Feb 2020 15:06

Martin Wynne

Hi Colin,

I guess this is the problem:

2_280957_150000000.jpg2_280957_150000000.jpg

You probably need to tell this to allow the Templot video loader to access the internet.

You don't need 3rd-party antivirus programs on Windows10. They wreck the smooth running of it and are a rip-off. Windows own built-in Windows Defender works fine.

However, I'm weary of saying so. I'm not going to bother with SK5 and FBR any more, it's proving too much trouble. Even if it does give better quality. You can watch the same video online at:

http://flashbackconnect.com/Movie.aspx?id=QBDJMDgdiC7PwRqLS2U3jg2

Sorry it's an old video, it is high time I made a new one.

More about this way of using Templot is at:

http://templot.com/companion/basic_working_methods.php

cheers,

Martin.

Templot Club > Forums > Templot talk > New to Templot
about Templot Club

Templot Companion - User Guide - A-Z Index Templot Explained for beginners Please click: important information for new members and first-time visitors.
indexing link for search engines

back to top of page

Please read this important note about copyright: Unless stated otherwise, all the files submitted to this web site are copyright and the property of the respective contributor. You are welcome to use them for your own personal non-commercial purposes, and in your messages on this web site. If you want to publish any of this material elsewhere or use it commercially, you must first obtain the owner's permission to do so.
The small print: All material submitted to this web site is the responsibility of the respective contributor. By submitting material to this web site you acknowledge that you accept full responsibility for the material submitted. The owner of this web site is not responsible for any content displayed here other than his own contributions. The owner of this web site may edit, modify or remove any content at any time without giving notice or reason. Problems with this web site? Contact webmaster@templot.com.   This web site uses cookies: click for information.  
© 2020