topic: 3630Shrewsbury Turntables
author remove search highlighting

posted: 19 Mar 2020 23:04

dave turner

United Kingdom

click the date to link to this post
click member name to view archived images
view images in gallery view images as slides
My late father insisted that there was a turntable within the Shrewsbury station complex. I know that the wye at the east of the station was often used to reverse Locos but don't recall a turntable. Perhaps he was remembering one at Coton Hill, the end of the Potts line, or perhaps the engine sheds.

I've looked but cannot find any definitive information.

Do you know?

Regards

Dave

posted: 19 Mar 2020 23:39

Martin Wynne

West Of The Severn - United Kingdom

dave turner wrote:
My late father insisted that there was a turntable within the Shrewsbury station complex. I know that the wye at the east of the station was often used to reverse Locos but don't recall a turntable. Perhaps he was remembering one at Coton Hill, the end of the Potts line, or perhaps the engine sheds.
Hi Dave,

There's a turntable in the triangle, here:

http://maps.nls.uk/geo/explore/#zoom=18&lat=52.70975&lon=-2.74567&layers=168&b=1

and one here:

http://maps.nls.uk/view/121150004#zoom=7&lat=3674&lon=15578&layers=BT

cheers,

Martin.

posted: 20 Mar 2020 01:13

dave turner

United Kingdom

Thanks Martin.
If I read that properly then there was a turntable within the wye. What's not clear is when it was removed. My father was born in 1923 and even with your evidence I still can't find a map post 1914 which shows it. My Grandad was a guard on the LMS, based out of Shrewsbury, from approx 1915 until his retirement in approx 1960 so it might be that he told my father about it.

I'd be interested to know whether there is any further information out there.

regards

Dave

posted: 20 Mar 2020 05:17

Martin Wynne

West Of The Severn - United Kingdom

dave turner wrote:
My father was born in 1923 and even with your evidence I still can't find a map post 1914 which shows it.
Hi Dave,

Still there in 1925, although moved position a bit since the 1902 map:

http://maps.nls.uk/view/121150052#zoom=6&lat=9136&lon=3098&layers=BT

It has a direct connection off the platforms, so presumably it would have been needed for turning until the end of steam, as much as in earlier days.

Still there in this aerial photo dated 1932:

EPW040078.jpgEPW040078.jpg

Nothing appears to have been built on the site since, see:

http://goo.gl/maps/dtA6AVhVfceRuBXu7

so there's no obvious reason for it to have been removed while it might still be needed.

Also still on this 6" map published 1954:

http://maps.nls.uk/view/189187710#zoom=7&lat=6481&lon=7824&layers=BT

although that is shown as revised pre-1930 except for major changes only 1949, so probably the same survey as the 1925 one above.

cheers,

Martin.

posted: 23 Mar 2020 11:08

dave turner

United Kingdom

Thank you Martin.

I was about 4 or 5 years old (pre Beeching) when I first was allowed to 'play' in the signal box within the wye and well before the station roof was modified to allow waiting passengers to be soaked prior to boarding trains. That I do remember. What is infuriating is that I have no recollection of the turntable. Ho hum advancing age plays tricks.

regards

Dave

posted: 25 Mar 2020 23:40

Nigel Brown

Had a nasty experience in that triangle summer 1958. In 1957 the family moved from Ruthin to near Gloucester and the following summer a friend of mine came down to stay at our place for a week before the two of us went back to stay at his for a week. This involved a Gloucester to Wrexham train journey, via Hereford then Shrewsbury. There was a through coach for Wrexham on the train to Shrewsbury. At Shrewsbury they crammed all the Wrexham passengers into the through coach then backed it into a siding by the signal box for over an hour, on a stinking hot day. Murder!

posted: 26 Mar 2020 00:30

dave turner

United Kingdom

I was about 3 or 4 when it was arranged for me to get up on the footplate of a Castle (or was it a King) on platform 7. Me 3ft tall - iron monster with a roaring fire which proceeded to envelop me in a cloud of hot steam. I was lucky that I didn't mess myself.

posted: 26 Mar 2020 00:34

Rob Manchester

Manchester - United Kingdom

Dave,

I suspect the Kings would have been overweight for Shrewsbury. Wolverhampton would probably have been the nearest they would have been.

Rob

posted: 1 Apr 2020 13:13

Alan Rhodes

Kings worked to Shrewsbury from Paddington and up the North and West via Hereford in their latter days. The Cambrian Coast Express was King hauled on occasions; go to Colour Rail and search on Shrewsbury as a location. There were also up and a down North and West expresses with loco change at Shrewsbury for ex LMS loco, down ex LMS loco, often Pacifics, changing at Shrewsbury for the King down.
The Kings were all withdrawn by 12/62.

Alan

posted: 1 Apr 2020 21:17

Rob Manchester

Manchester - United Kingdom

Alan Rhodes wrote:
Kings worked to Shrewsbury from Paddington and up the North and West via Hereford in their latter days. The Cambrian Coast Express was King hauled on occasions; go to Colour Rail and search on Shrewsbury as a location. There were also up and a down North and West expresses with loco change at Shrewsbury for ex LMS loco, down ex LMS loco, often Pacifics, changing at Shrewsbury for the King down.
The Kings were all withdrawn by 12/62.

Alan
Hi Alan,

Thanks for the info. I assume the "kings" wouldn't get much further down the Cambrian route towards the sea ?

Rob

posted: 1 Apr 2020 22:06

dave turner

United Kingdom

I'm pretty sure that the Kings went to Aberystwyth but I have no idea whether then went as far as Pwllheli.

posted: 1 Apr 2020 23:32

Nigel Brown

dave turner wrote:
I'm pretty sure that the Kings went to Aberystwyth but I have no idea whether then went as far as Pwllheli.
I'd be shocked if the Kings went to Aberystwyth, Dave. There was a reason for the introduction of the Manors; every other 4-6-0 was too heavy!

Nigel

posted: 1 Apr 2020 23:41

dave turner

United Kingdom

I was very young at the time so my memory is suspect. They certainly came to Shrewsbury though.

Templot Club > Forums > Off track > Shrewsbury Turntables
about Templot Club

Templot Companion - User Guide - A-Z Index Templot Explained for beginners Please click: important information for new members and first-time visitors.
indexing link for search engines

back to top of page

Please read this important note about copyright: Unless stated otherwise, all the files submitted to this web site are copyright and the property of the respective contributor. You are welcome to use them for your own personal non-commercial purposes, and in your messages on this web site. If you want to publish any of this material elsewhere or use it commercially, you must first obtain the owner's permission to do so.
The small print: All material submitted to this web site is the responsibility of the respective contributor. By submitting material to this web site you acknowledge that you accept full responsibility for the material submitted. The owner of this web site is not responsible for any content displayed here other than his own contributions. The owner of this web site may edit, modify or remove any content at any time without giving notice or reason. Problems with this web site? Contact webmaster@templot.com.   This web site uses cookies: click for information.  
© 2020