author remove search highlighting

posted: 4 Apr 2020 10:08

Eve Wallis

Wexford - Ireland

click the date to link to this post
click member name to view archived images
view images in gallery view images as slides
Hi All,
I am a raw beginner to Templot 2.25D, a friend has sent me a template of a tandem turnout, this prints out on two pages of A4, I have an A3 capable printer (Epson WF-7610). I've tried repeatedly to get the template on a single sheet of A3 to no avail by using various output menu's, what haven't I done or what have I done wrong? I'm running Templot on an iMac via crossover.

posted: 4 Apr 2020 12:33

Martin Wynne

West Of The Severn - United Kingdom

Eve Wallis wrote:
Hi All,
I am a raw beginner to Templot 2.25D, a friend has sent me a template of a tandem turnout, this prints out on two pages of A4, I have an A3 capable printer (Epson WF-7610). I've tried repeatedly to get the template on a single sheet of A3 to no avail by using various output menu's, what haven't I done or what have I done wrong? I'm running Templot on an iMac via crossover.
Hi Eve,

Make sure the A3 printer is switched on and working before you start Templot.

Then:

2_040727_080000000.png2_040727_080000000.png

1. go to output > printer setup... menu item.

(On an iMac the printer setup dialog may look different from this.)

You need to:

2. select the A3 printer from the list of available printers.

3. set A3 as the paper size.

Templot should then print on A3 size sheets.

cheers,

Martin.

posted: 4 Apr 2020 12:37

Eve Wallis

Wexford - Ireland

Hi Martin, thanks for the quick reply, yes it will print out but on two pages the same as on A4. Perhaps it's because I'm using a Mac...........

posted: 4 Apr 2020 13:37

Martin Wynne

Eve Wallis wrote:
Hi Martin, thanks for the quick reply, yes it will print out but on two pages the same as on A4. Perhaps it's because I'm using a Mac...........
Hi Eve,

Can you clarify what you mean by printing on two pages?

What is the actual size of the sheet of paper coming out of the printer? Does it match the size set on the printer setup dialog?

Does Templot draw the red margin around the edges of it? Or is it drawing a smaller A4 sized red margin on a larger sheet?

Are you perhaps asking a completely different question, i.e. how to move your tandem template so that it fits all on one sheet?

Sorry, I know nothing about Macs. Running Templot 225d on my Linux(Ubuntu)+CrossOver test system, I have just confirmed that under CrossOver Templot does correctly recognise and use the paper size set on the print dialog.

For printer problems in Templot, the golden rule is:

Make sure the printer is switched on and working before starting Templot. Maybe make a test print from some other software first.

The reason is that on start-up Templot creates its own list of the available printers, containing such details as the printer calibration settings.

cheers,

Martin.

posted: 4 Apr 2020 13:57

Nigel Brown

You may have to go into Properties and set the paper size there.

Nigel

posted: 4 Apr 2020 14:43

Dave Summers

Urchfont, Devizes - United Kingdom

Hi Eve
I also run Templot under Crossover on my MacBook. In my experience, the Windows/Templot printer setup dialogue is not 100% when it comes to the paper source. My A3 printer (a Brother) has an A4 tray which can be extended to take A3 paper. It also has a rear 'hopper' multiple sheet feeder which takes almost any size up to A3 paper.The printer setup dialogue does not direct output to be printed via the rear sheet feeder and I must always use the extendable horizontal tray to print A3.
The bottom line is, it's not a Mac problem! You definitely can print A3 via Crossover but you may have to do more work with the printer rather than Templot.
Good luck!
Dave

posted: 4 Apr 2020 14:44

Eve Wallis

Wexford - Ireland

Hi Martin,

Yes I probably am asking a different question! but not realising it!

What is the actual size of the sheet of paper coming out of the printer? Does it match the size set on the printer setup dialog? Yes it comes out on A3.

Does Templot draw the red margin around the edges of it? Or is it drawing a smaller A4 sized red margin on a larger sheet? - Yes it shows a red margin.

Are you perhaps asking a completely different question, i.e. how to move your tandem template so that it fits all on one sheet? Yes Please! This sounds as if it would work!

Thanks for your patience with me.

KR

Eve

posted: 4 Apr 2020 14:46

Eve Wallis

Wexford - Ireland

Thanks Nigel
Nigel Brown wrote:
You may have to go into Properties and set the paper size there.

Nigel

posted: 4 Apr 2020 14:47

Eve Wallis

Wexford - Ireland

Thanks Dave, I think I've been asking the wrong question! I think Martin is sorting it.

posted: 4 Apr 2020 15:08

Martin Wynne

Eve Wallis wrote:
Are you perhaps asking a completely different question, i.e. how to move your tandem template so that it fits all on one sheet? Yes Please! This sounds as if it would work!
Hi Eve,

Switch the printer on and set it to A3 first.

Then you have two options:

Is the tandem part of a larger trackplan? If so, what you want to do is move the page origin to a more convenient position. You can use this mouse action do do that:

2_040955_580000000.png2_040955_580000000.png

Move the page outlines to fit nicely around the templates. The purple dot (page origin) will be the top left corner of the first printed page.

Or if the tandem is just for construction by itself, you can move it to the bottom left of the trackpad for printing. And maybe rotate it too for a better fit. Here is a quick bit of scruff video showing how to do that:

http://flashbackconnect.com/Default.aspx?id=jcsJMl9lLpdNladIu8zX7A2

To see the printer page outlines while moving it, click the trackpad > page outlines for printer menu item.

cheers,

Martin.

posted: 4 Apr 2020 20:41

Ian Bunch

Using Templot via Parallels on a Mac. The print dialogue doesn't seem to keep any paper size settings. It always defaults to letter despite the printer (Canon MG5750) having an A4 setup in Windows system defaults. This works with other programs just not Templot.

posted: 4 Apr 2020 21:17

Martin Wynne

Ian Bunch wrote:
Using Templot via Parallels on a Mac. The print dialogue doesn't seem to keep any paper size settings. It always defaults to letter despite the printer (Canon MG5750) having an A4 setup in Windows system defaults. This works with other programs just not Templot.
Hi Ian,

I suspect this is a Parallels/Windows issue. My similar Canon printer always uses A4 on Windows10, no problems.

Make sure that A4 is set in the printer preferences:

2_041604_460000000.png2_041604_460000000.png

Just to be clear, the print setup dialogs such as this which appear from links in Templot are part of Windows, not Templot.

Templot does not keep any record of used paper sizes. In fact it doesn't know anything about the paper size names. The only thing it does is to ask Windows for the current size of the printable area in inches and dots before each print run. Everything else is handled by Windows, not Templot.

Which in turn means that if the printer preferences are not working properly in Parallels/Windows, I'm afraid there is nothing I can do about it in Templot. :?

cheers,

Martin.

posted: 5 Apr 2020 06:38

Eve Wallis

Wexford - Ireland

Thanks Martin, I'll give it a go, BTW the track plan is a standalone tandem turnout.
Now I need to try and mirror image it from a RH to LH layout, so I can build the common crossings a little bit easier...........

Kind Regards,

Eve Wallis
Martin Wynne wrote:
Eve Wallis wrote:
Hi Eve,

Switch the printer on and set it to A3 first.

Then you have two options:

Is the tandem part of a larger trackplan? If so, what you want to do is move the page origin to a more convenient position. You can use this mouse action do do that:

2_040955_580000000.png2_040955_580000000.png

Move the page outlines to fit nicely around the templates. The purple dot (page origin) will be the top left corner of the first printed page.

Or if the tandem is just for construction by itself, you can move it to the bottom left of the trackpad for printing. And maybe rotate it too for a better fit. Here is a quick bit of scruff video showing how to do that:

http://flashbackconnect.com/Default.aspx?id=jcsJMl9lLpdNladIu8zX7A2

To see the printer page outlines while moving it, click the trackpad > page outlines for printer menu item.

cheers,

Martin.

posted: 5 Apr 2020 10:21

Martin Wynne

Eve Wallis wrote:
Now I need to try and mirror image it from a RH to LH layout, so I can build the common crossings a little bit easier..........
Hi Eve,

Here you go. Select it as a group first, as in the video. Then:

2_050519_420000000.png2_050519_420000000.png

Then shift it to the required position, as in the video.

cheers,

Martin.

posted: 5 Apr 2020 10:50

Eve Wallis

Wexford - Ireland

Thanks Martin you're a star.
Kind Regards,

Eve
Martin Wynne wrote:
Eve Wallis wrote:
Now I need to try and mirror image it from a RH to LH layout, so I can build the common crossings a little bit easier..........
Hi Eve,

Here you go. Select it as a group first, as in the video. Then:

2_050519_420000000.png2_050519_420000000.png

Then shift it to the required position, as in the video.

cheers,

Martin.

Templot Club > Forums > Templot talk > Print Settings
about Templot Club

Templot Companion - User Guide - A-Z Index Templot Explained for beginners Please click: important information for new members and first-time visitors.
indexing link for search engines

back to top of page

Please read this important note about copyright: Unless stated otherwise, all the files submitted to this web site are copyright and the property of the respective contributor. You are welcome to use them for your own personal non-commercial purposes, and in your messages on this web site. If you want to publish any of this material elsewhere or use it commercially, you must first obtain the owner's permission to do so.
The small print: All material submitted to this web site is the responsibility of the respective contributor. By submitting material to this web site you acknowledge that you accept full responsibility for the material submitted. The owner of this web site is not responsible for any content displayed here other than his own contributions. The owner of this web site may edit, modify or remove any content at any time without giving notice or reason. Problems with this web site? Contact webmaster@templot.com.   This web site uses cookies: click for information.  
© 2020