author remove search highlighting

posted: 11 Apr 2020 14:42

keithj15

Northampton - United Kingdom

click the date to link to this post
click member name to view archived images
view images in gallery view images as slides
Hi
A friend at my local club, knowing I liked a Templot challenge to test his track building skills, decided to ask me to draw him up a complex group of turnouts and crossings at the entrance of a proposed fiddle yard. This period of enforced isolation during CoronaVirus, seemed to offer the ideal opportunity to sit down and revive my wider knowledge of the program.
Alas, having not used Templot for a couple years other than to print out the odd template, I find myself back in the land of "the beginner" once again!
Previously, I had tackled (with Martin's help) to work out turnouts designs for On30 and 7mm scale dual gauge Broad & Standard turnouts and crossings, and these involved a fair amount of editing.
However, Templot 2 v2.25d and the imminent release of Templot 3, the program now includes options for 3-ways, tandems and slips that were not there before.
I used to have to alter turnouts adding half crossings etc, then adjust rails and check rails, switchblade lengths and so on, ending with a jigsaw of frogs & box files etc with a collection of shoved and altered timbers. Now I find the options to adjust check rails and shove timbers, but cannot find how to adjust or omit the heel and switch of an overlapped template and retain the frog and check rails. Can any one help to find these tools and options? I have gone through my old notes (version 2.11) but many of the references and sub menus seem to have moved or changed.
Just to add to my confusion I no longer run Templot in emulation on a Mac, but have it installed on a much faster HP windows 10 laptop --- so now all my errors and fails happen a lot quicker!

Any useful guidance would be greatly appreciated
regards Keith

Stay Home - Save the NHS - Save Lives

posted: 11 Apr 2020 16:40

Martin Wynne

West Of The Severn - United Kingdom

Hi Keith,

Stuff in Templot gets added and moved about, but whatever you did before will still work now. :)

Here's an 11-year-old reply with the basics of what I think you are asking, and an old video. I have re-recorded the video in FBR format:

topic 706 - message 3967

If you can't follow anything just ask again. :)
but cannot find how to adjust or omit the heel and switch of an overlapped template and retain the frog and check rails.
That's the CTRL+F3 blanking mouse action.

p.s. there is no imminent release of Templot3 -- they are two separate projects. At present T3 seems to be stalled again, with no recent activity or interest.

cheers,

Martin.

posted: 11 Apr 2020 17:25

Martin Wynne

p.s. Keith,

Your post has reminded me of a project from 12 months ago which I had completely forgotten about:

topic 3405

2_311418_400000001.png2_311418_400000001.png

There's the first bit of video on there:

http://flashbackconnect.com/Default.aspx?id=eBhzi_rOhOiVu934ox6mDQ2

I must get back to it soon.

My failing memory is now seriously affecting my ability to support Templot users. I don't really know what I can do about it. I keep finding old topics on here where I promised to do something, and never did. :(

Martin.

posted: 11 Apr 2020 20:31

Trevor Walling

United Kingdom

Hello Martin,
You can only do your best as age progresses.
I seriously think you need to let things go as they become a pain due to memory or shaky hands etc. I tend to mess more things up as a steady hand is not a given for me any more.
That and glasses can be a right pain.
Regards.
Trevor.:)

posted: 12 Apr 2020 17:29

keithj15

Hi Martin, 
Many thanks for your help --- just what the old grey matter needed, some great links and samples!

One of the templates I am working on is the old classic 3-throw.The LH turnout forms the main template size a V5 turnout, which I copied and swapped to a RH and placed this to the right of the first turnout so the two V's were aligned vertically. All good so far, and with your help yesterday I was able to crop and place the 3rd Frog from a Y to work with the other two.

At this point I realised the tie bar and blades of the RH needed to be moved a couple more timbers to the right, but without disturbing its frog and V or anything else really. Simple, or so I thought until I tried...
...and failed.

I had a look at your other 3-way samples, but didn't find anything that might solve my problem. 
I have attached the box with all the bits.
Please can you show where I am going "off the rails" ---many thanks in advance

Best regards Keith
Attachment: attach_3008_3637_3-throw_1-4.5_version_03.box     86

posted: 13 Apr 2020 10:35

Martin Wynne

Hi Keith,

Are you sure you want a 3-throw? If it was my design I would be doing everything I could to change the track plan to use a tandem instead.

Sorry, you lost me with your question about moving the switch. :?

In the classic 3-throw design, each switch consists of one long switch blade, and one short one. Here is the GER drawing of such:

2_280950_180000000.jpg2_280950_180000000.jpg

In Templot it would need to be assembled from partial templates. It's doable, but I'm not convinced it could be built reliably in GOG-F. At the very least I would change to 0-MF. Wider than scale model flangeways make it impossible to follow the prototype exactly.

(0-MF and GOG-F can be mixed on the same layout.)

Both switches are loose-heel types, certainly the flexible "A" switch which you used for your left-hand switch would never be found in a 3-throw.

We have been here before, here is my 11-year-old reply to the same subject:

topic 911 - message 5256

Tandem turnouts instead:

http://templot.com/companion/3_way_tandem_turnouts.php

cheers,

Martin.

posted: 13 Apr 2020 12:56

keithj15

Hi Martin, I am just the humble draughtsman in the drawing office, whereas my friend Peter Grant is the on-site engineer in Gateshead. In just a couple of days he has turned my first template attempt into some excellent hand built pointwork! [img]blob:http://85a.co.uk/c3c11118-a71a-42d7-a687-b7f9ea98ca41[/img] I am trying to correct my Templot plan to match what Peter had to do to get the clearances right and move the second tie bar to a better position. Its this heel position I am trying to get to with Templot. Best regards Keith PS Peter has posted more images of the stages of the build on his Facebook Page http://www.facebook.com/peter.grant.7399
Last edited on 13 Apr 2020 13:01 by keithj15
posted: 13 Apr 2020 13:40

Martin Wynne

keithj15 wrote:
I am trying to correct my Templot plan to match what Peter had to do to get the clearances right and move the second tie bar to a better position. Its this heel position I am trying to get to with Templot. Best regards Keith PS Peter has posted more images of the stages of the build on his Facebook Page http://www.facebook.com/peter.grant.7399
Hi Keith,

Thanks for the link.

It's not possible to "correct" a Templot plan to match that.

It's not a proper 3-throw. It would cause a derailment on the prototype because the lower right-hand switch rail is not supported against a solid stock rail.

Please don't ask me to comment on the use of massive filed notches in the stock rails instead of a proper set or joggle. Nor on the middle vee nose unsupported on a timber. :(

But each to his own, as always. :)

cheers,

Martin.

posted: 13 Apr 2020 14:58

keithj15

Hi Martin, I thought this might be the case — at least we got 90% there, and with Peter's modelling skills he can work out the final 10% and get it to work.
Thanks so much for the samples and info — I suppose I should really challenge Peter to build a 3-throw to the GER specification drawing — I suspect 2 days would not be enough time!! LOL :D:D:D
Best regards Keith

Templot Club > Forums > Templot talk > Editing template elements
about Templot Club

Templot Companion - User Guide - A-Z Index Templot Explained for beginners Please click: important information for new members and first-time visitors.
indexing link for search engines

back to top of page

Please read this important note about copyright: Unless stated otherwise, all the files submitted to this web site are copyright and the property of the respective contributor. You are welcome to use them for your own personal non-commercial purposes, and in your messages on this web site. If you want to publish any of this material elsewhere or use it commercially, you must first obtain the owner's permission to do so.
The small print: All material submitted to this web site is the responsibility of the respective contributor. By submitting material to this web site you acknowledge that you accept full responsibility for the material submitted. The owner of this web site is not responsible for any content displayed here other than his own contributions. The owner of this web site may edit, modify or remove any content at any time without giving notice or reason. Problems with this web site? Contact webmaster@templot.com.   This web site uses cookies: click for information.  
© 2020