topic: 3642C&L OO outside single slip
author remove search highlighting

posted: 25 Apr 2020 14:57

mikewturner

click the date to link to this post
click member name to view archived images
view images in gallery view images as slides
Hi guys
Has anyone either redrawn this in templot or scanned it as a background shape please? I always rely on the office scanner but can't access it at present as I'm working from home.

Regards and stay safe

Mike

posted: 25 Apr 2020 19:35

Martin Wynne

West Of The Severn - United Kingdom

Hi Mike,

Can you clarify what you want? As far as I can see, C&L do not supply an outside slip template.

I'm happy to create one in Templot for you, but I need to know exactly what you want.

1. crossing angle? Common sizes for outside slips are 1:4.5 or 1:5.

2. track gauge? 16.2mm for 4-SF / 00-SF, or 16.5mm for 00-BF. For diamonds and slips you can't use the same template for both.

3. radius in the crossing roads if not straight?

4. timbering scale? 3.5mm/ft as C&L 00 templates, or 4mm/ft as 00/EM.

5. bullhead or flat-bottom rail?

Or alternatively if you attach your .box file here, I will see what fits.

cheers,

Martin.

posted: 25 Apr 2020 20:36

Paul Boyd

Loughborough - United Kingdom

Hi Martin
The “old” C&L, under Brian Lewis did supply one, but I only have an EM version.

Paul105_251536_160000000.jpg105_251536_160000000.jpg

posted: 25 Apr 2020 21:01

Martin Wynne

Thanks Paul.

What is the angle of the diamond in that?

Scrub that, I have just noticed 1:4.5 written between the timbers. :)

cheers,

Martin.

posted: 26 Apr 2020 07:38

Hayfield

United Kingdom

I have a copy of this and if you phone Phil Reid up at C&L I am certain he has these in stock

posted: 26 Apr 2020 14:20

Kenilworth59

United Kingdom

Hi Martin.

While having a good look at the C&L picture to see where the angle of the diamond was written I noticed something which IMHO is wrong. At the right side there are dimensions shown including the 6 foot way which here is measured from the inside faces of the rails. I remember reading a discussion* about the prototype track centres' separation for the 6 foot way that a guy had got wrong as 10' 9"1/2 because he'd forgotten the two 2".75 rail thicknesses when measuring from the inner faces. Indeed, I have a C&L EM kit for a B6 turnout and that too measures from the inner face. 

Am I right that a prodigious company like C&L have it wrong or do I need to get out more?

Cheers

Paul   

* I was looking into how much I needed to cut OO Peco turnouts to obtain the prototype track centre distance.
Attachment: attach_3010_3642_Track_gauges_imp3.pdf     75

posted: 26 Apr 2020 14:48

Martin Wynne

Kenilworth59 wrote:
Am I right that a prodigious company like C&L have it wrong or do I need to get out more?
Hi Paul,

You are right and the C&L templates are wrong. I had completely forgotten about that as one of the several errors on the C&L templates. Thanks for reminding me.

But note that on the GWR and BR(W) the track separation is indeed measured to the gauge faces, but in that case it is 6ft-6in (but still referred to as the six-foot).

The result for most rail (2.75" wide) is that GWR spacing is 1/2" wider than the rest:

non-GWR: 11ft-2in  (134") track centres

GWR: 11ft-2.5in (134.5") track centres

cheers,

Martin.

posted: 14 Jul 2020 21:17

mikewturner

Hi Martin and others

Firstly a big apology, I posted my original query about 4 weeks in to lockdown and more or less instantly lost all my modelling interest as things sort of caught up with me. I am now getting my act back together after immersing myself in my work so sorry to have wasted peoples time.

Regards

Mike

Templot Club > Forums > Templot talk > C&L OO outside single slip
about Templot Club

Templot Companion - User Guide - A-Z Index Templot Explained for beginners Please click: important information for new members and first-time visitors.
indexing link for search engines

back to top of page

Please read this important note about copyright: Unless stated otherwise, all the files submitted to this web site are copyright and the property of the respective contributor. You are welcome to use them for your own personal non-commercial purposes, and in your messages on this web site. If you want to publish any of this material elsewhere or use it commercially, you must first obtain the owner's permission to do so.
The small print: All material submitted to this web site is the responsibility of the respective contributor. By submitting material to this web site you acknowledge that you accept full responsibility for the material submitted. The owner of this web site is not responsible for any content displayed here other than his own contributions. The owner of this web site may edit, modify or remove any content at any time without giving notice or reason. Problems with this web site? Contact webmaster@templot.com.   This web site uses cookies: click for information.  
© 2020