topic: 3646WDLR Turnouts
author remove search highlighting

posted: 28 Apr 2020 00:01

Bruce A Wilson

Barrie - Ontario Canada

click the date to link to this post
click member name to view archived images
view images in gallery view images as slides
Way back in 2012 I posted a drawing of a WDLR turnout I had drawn in Templot and a photo of the WDLR drawing.  I had asked if someone might take a look at my template to see if I had thing correct.  Now 8 years on I am  getting ready to lay some WDLR in O14.
I would appreciate if I could get some comments on my work.  I am going to approach Tim Warris at Fast Track about getting a fixture made.

The first file to a picture of the WDLR drawing, which has since appeared in the WDLR Companion book my copy of which is in storage following a fire so I do not have it handy. 

I will post my template separately.

TIA
Bruce Wilson
Barrie, Ontario, Canada
Attachment: attach_3011_3646_30mRadiusWDLRTurnout.JPG     103

posted: 28 Apr 2020 00:03

Bruce A Wilson

Barrie - Ontario Canada

My template for WDLR turnout
Attachment: attach_3012_3646_WDLR_30_m_Turnout_1.box     94

posted: 28 Apr 2020 10:36

Stephen Freeman

Sandbach - United Kingdom

Hi,
My immediate thoughts are that:
1)timbering needs to be adjusted to equidistant
2)the rail type needs to Flatbottom

Are you going to use Karlgarin code 83 rail? It is designed for narrow gauge having a wider foot than the standard type. It is also HiNi as well
Interested to know how you are going to represent the metal timbering.

posted: 28 Apr 2020 11:07

wcampbell23

Hamilton, Scotland - United Kingdom

Hi Bruce

Some of the KBscale products are now available through Narrow Planet - have a look at:

http://shop.narrowplanet.co.uk/collections/kbscale?page=2

This would provide the sleepering and matching turnout "timbering".

KBscale's webpage has a link to the Narrow Planet site and links to two very useful documents - if you are not already aware of them:

http://www.kbscale.com/

Please keep us updated on your project and don't forget the pictures!

Best wishes and stay safe.

posted: 28 Apr 2020 12:45

Bruce A Wilson

Barrie - Ontario Canada

Ties are per the WDLR drawing.
I will be using Microengineering Code 55 rail.

Thinking about printing some metal ties but there were lots of these installed on wood ties.
Stephen Freeman wrote:
Hi,

Are you going to use Karlgarin code 83 rail? It is designed for narrow gauge having a wider foot than the standard type. It is also HiNi as well

posted: 28 Apr 2020 16:06

Bruce A Wilson

Barrie - Ontario Canada

However, I do see I need to rotate some of the ties to match the WDLR drawing, something I just noticed.  The five ties under the v-crossing need to be rotated counterclockwise a bit.  I have looked and I am at a loss of how to do this.  Any advice would be appreciated on how to modify my control template
Thanks
Bruce Wilson

Stephen Freeman wrote:
Hi,

posted: 28 Apr 2020 17:53

Martin Wynne

West Of The Severn - United Kingdom

Bruce A Wilson wrote:
However, I do see I need to rotate some of the ties to match the WDLR drawing, something I just noticed.  The five ties under the v-crossing need to be rotated counterclockwise a bit.  I have looked and I am at a loss of how to do this.
Hi Bruce,

Quickest way to explain is with a bit of video:

http://flashbackconnect.com/Default.aspx?id=k8EC_Fe6zTJPTVmHMOE2QA2

Ask again if not clear.

cheers,

Martin.

posted: 28 Apr 2020 18:26

Stephen Freeman

if you use the equalized incremental is probably easiest

posted: 28 Apr 2020 18:32

Stephen Freeman

Stephen Freeman wrote:
if you use the equalized incremental is probably easiest

Attachment: attach_3013_3646_town_central_2020_04_28_1824_49.box     78

posted: 28 Apr 2020 18:35

Stephen Freeman

I have used KBscale before but wasn't sure of the current situation good to see it's available again.

posted: 29 Apr 2020 00:42

Bruce A Wilson

Barrie - Ontario Canada

OK I am ready to start drinking heavily because once again my Templot skills seem to have disappeared not being used for 8 years. I can draw up what I want in my cad program in about 15 minutes but after messing around in Templot for 2 hours I have achieved nothing. Here are the problems I have

My overall turnout length is too long at about 241 m when it should be 172.38 mm (24 ft 7 1/2 in real life). When I try to change the length I lose most of the v crossing and I can find no way to relocate it.

2nd the diverging curve is a 30m radius and starts at the left edge of the turnout as do the switch points. The curve in my drawing is somehow less than 30m and I can find no way to change it. The curve is constant through the v crossing.

On a plus side I did figure out the timbering nudging which lead me to find out my turnout was too long.

I did look at the O14 example template but again I cant see a way to modify it to get what I want.

Any help would be appreciated.

My Lagavulin 16YO is about to take a bit hit.

Thanks
Bruce (frustrated) Wilson

posted: 29 Apr 2020 14:11

Bruce A Wilson

Barrie - Ontario Canada

I have figured out how to overlay a 30m radius curve on a straight piece of track. How can I now turn that into a turnout?

TIA
Bruce Wilson

posted: 29 Apr 2020 15:21

Martin Wynne

Bruce A Wilson wrote: 
I can draw up what I want in my cad program in about 15 minutes but after messing around in Templot for 2 hours I have achieved nothing. Here are the problems I have

My overall turnout length is too long at about 241 m when it should be 172.38 mm (24 ft 7 1/2 in real life). When I try to change the length I lose most of the v crossing and I can find no way to relocate it.
Hi Bruce,

It appears to be a toy set-track design with a fixed turnout radius tangential at the toe.

In which case, I suggest you use a gaunt turnout, with the gaunt offset set to zero. You can then set the length to whatever you want. template > gaunt options > menu item.

But you won't be able to get a correctly scaled length unless you use the correct 13.78mm track gauge.

Your photo is difficult to read, but I see a strange mix of units -- 600mm gauge and 30 metres radius, with everything else in inches -- blunt nose 1/4", flangeway 1.1/4", timbers 45" x 7".

real > V-crossing options > customize V-crossing > menu items.

There is also a note about gauge-widening in the curve.

The only section dimensions I have for 20lb/yard FB rail is for mines, with a head width of 31mm, foot width 55.6mm, height 65mm.

Here's a quick stab at the turnout. At 30 metres radius and 600mm gauge it is exactly 1:5 CLM at the FP.

BOX file attached. Over to you to shove the timbers to the drawing, and maybe tidy up the check rails.

7mm/ft, 13.78mm gauge, 0.73mm flangeway, 1:5 CLM curviform.

2_291010_370000000.png2_291010_370000000.png

cheers,

Martin.
Attachment: attach_3014_3646_wdlr_for_bruce.box     70

posted: 29 Apr 2020 15:25

Martin Wynne

p.s. Bruce,

Here is your drawing with improved readability. Full resolution size.

Martin.
Attachment: attach_3015_3646_wdlr_turnout.jpg     92

posted: 29 Apr 2020 15:59

Bruce A Wilson

Barrie - Ontario Canada

Martin:
Thank you very much.  The WDLR adapted to the existing French 60cm narrow gauge system to the war.  That their drawings are a mix of units is not a surprise.  Equating to a toy setup may be appropriate because this particular turnout was built in three sections to bolt together quickly in the field.  I have seen pictures of the turnouts installed on wood ties as well.

There is a much clearer version of the drawing in the WDLR Companion that Roy Link published.  Unfortunately mine is in storage after a fire and I do not have access to it at this time.

I am planning on building this in O14 with code 55 Microengineering rail.  I had selected O14 for the scale, at least I thought I did.   I really appreciate your help.  I will download this and take a look at it and I will get back to you when I have questions.

I think my biggest issue is having not used Templot in 8 years or so so that was a much older version and I have just forgotten the basics to get going.  I know I was able to do it once.

Bruce Wilson

posted: 29 Apr 2020 16:43

Bruce A Wilson

Barrie - Ontario Canada

Martin: If I try to adjust the check rails there are notes in teh help part of the box that refer to Label MS1, Ms3, MS3, etc. I do not see any of these labels. I have looked at the trackpad options and the Name Labels and see no way of toggling them on. How do I get these to display?

TIA

Bruce Wilson

posted: 29 Apr 2020 16:53

Martin Wynne

Bruce A Wilson wrote:
Martin: If I try to adjust the check rails there are notes in teh help part of the box that refer to Label MS1, Ms3, MS3, etc. I do not see any of these labels. I have looked at the trackpad options and the Name Labels and see no way of toggling them on. How do I get these to display?
Hi Bruce,

Like this. On the control template. Are you perhaps expecting to see them on a background template?

To zoom to the control template, press the Spacebar.

2_291152_530000000.png2_291152_530000000.png

cheers,

Martin.

posted: 29 Apr 2020 17:03

Bruce A Wilson

Barrie - Ontario Canada

Martin that was it I did not change it to the control template. Thanks again

Bruce Wilson

posted: 29 Apr 2020 19:03

Bruce A Wilson

Barrie - Ontario Canada

Martin one final question. How can I add the throwbar for the points?

TIA

Bruce Wilson

Templot Club > Forums > Templot talk > WDLR Turnouts
about Templot Club

Templot Companion - User Guide - A-Z Index Templot Explained for beginners Please click: important information for new members and first-time visitors.
indexing link for search engines

back to top of page

Please read this important note about copyright: Unless stated otherwise, all the files submitted to this web site are copyright and the property of the respective contributor. You are welcome to use them for your own personal non-commercial purposes, and in your messages on this web site. If you want to publish any of this material elsewhere or use it commercially, you must first obtain the owner's permission to do so.
The small print: All material submitted to this web site is the responsibility of the respective contributor. By submitting material to this web site you acknowledge that you accept full responsibility for the material submitted. The owner of this web site is not responsible for any content displayed here other than his own contributions. The owner of this web site may edit, modify or remove any content at any time without giving notice or reason. Problems with this web site? Contact webmaster@templot.com.   This web site uses cookies: click for information.  
© 2020